Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll : "Carebears" and FFA loot / PVP

outlaw101outlaw101 Member Posts: 351

The majority feel that FFA loot / PVP is great for the game, but there will be a few that will be scared of getting PKed or loosing their items, some call these "Carebears", I've created a poll to see how you feel about this.

Even though there will be a system in-place to stop mass-pkers.

"Don't hold breath about another KOTOR game coming from Bioware" - Chris Preistly

"Bioware is more intrested in pursueing development of it's own Intellectual properties"

- James Henly

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Well once again gonna say that some of my best MMO moments and favortie memories come from pre-trammel UO having recently cancelled a 10 year vet account i loved this game.. But recent changes by Mythic and EA have fianally forced me to leave..  That being said , when UO 1st took off yea the PKs were evreywhere but made the game more challenging, made you find ways to survive .. Was a constant thrill..

Also made the community stronger bringing players together to go hunting and fight off the Reds .. Group of friends i ran with eventually we got strong enuff and wise enuff in game that we were laying traps for the Reds and Hunting them ..What great fun..

I also believe that full looting actually cuts down on yer random pks .. the risk to them of losing there gear in a loss is to much for them .. Care Bear Reds lamo..

Many of yer WoW pks would never have treid to pk if they knew there own gear was at risk..

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Well said.

And i guess the worst carebears will be the worst "greifers" later. We normal PvPers dont care or do those things.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Since they have stated that the game won't be "Gear Driven" in any way losing your gear may not be as bad as a lot of people think. Gear most likely will be easily replaceable if there are no "Epic" items to lose. You just don't want to be caught carrying around ALL of your gold as well. Losing all your Items and your savings all at once would suck bad but it would be that persons own fault for being stupid.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• eosyneeosyne Member UncommonPosts: 392

carebears shouldn't even be playing this game, it's not for them, so why barge in and complain already?

that's just dumb. play something else, don't just try and change a whole game concept.

• ButcherBillButcherBill Member Posts: 32

Originally posted by Brenelael

Since they have stated that the game won't be "Gear Driven" in any way losing your gear may not be as bad as a lot of people think.

So than what the hell is the point of crafting??

The more I find out about this game the more it sounds like its going to be a complete failure if it ever does launch....

So now gear will mean nothing and be easy to come by? Wow that sounds really fun. You'll be running around with the same lame ass gear as everyone else has.

Most people love the idea of getting unique gear that seperates you from other people.. 

This game sounds more and more like a big generic pointless frag fest.

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by jackeccs

carebears shouldn't even be playing this game, it's not for them, so why barge in and complain already?
    that's just dumb. play something else, don't just try and change a whole game concept.

Nice try, Pal.  PvPers having been jacking up PvE games for the last ten years.  Kinda sucks doesn't it to have someone stepping on your playground?  Trust me, in the end the PvE crowd will get their own servers (or at least servers with alternative rule sets) or this bad boy will be self-published. OP, I can tell you've never worked for a PR firm.  That poll is so biased it bleeds written by a Darkfall dev.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• FockerFocker Member Posts: 344

Originally posted by ButcherBill

Since they have stated that the game won't be "Gear Driven" in any way losing your gear may not be as bad as a lot of people think.

The more I find out about this game the more it sounds like its going to be a complete failure if it ever does launch....

So now gear will mean nothing and be easy to come by? Wow that sounds really fun. You'll be running around with the same lame ass gear as everyone else has.

Most people love the idea of getting unique gear that seperates you from other people.. 

What rock did you just crawl out from?  The system will be just like uo's old system.  Not item based like most MMO's today.  Sooooooo that means that  crafting will be essential since you wont be going into dungeans looking for high end weapons.  

I can tell your part of the "new" MMOers.  Most old schoolers HATE!! getting unique gear to seperate each other.  We would use our skills and abilities to differentiate ourself from one another rathe then have a nice little neon colored head band. 

What a joke 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Well, I'll try to come back with a reasonable reply to your question.

If you have ever played a game like EVE then you'd have a better understanding about how gear can be easily replaceable w/o being totally meaningless and definitely worth crafting.

And although we all have the same gear in EVE (one Stealth Bomber looks like another) its my skills in PVP and my killboard counts that separate me from other people, not how my gear 'looks'.

If the game is done correctly, it will be possible for players to craft good gear, that if lost won't mean someone lost 2 months of hard work to obtain, and will enable them to get quickly back into the fight.

In fact, PVP games can be a crafters paradise, especially if some loot can be lost or damaged in the killing process as EVE's is.   Players who lose their gear need to replace it..and crafters are one logical source to obtain it. (of course, they can always buy it back from the winners)

Darkfall may not be the game for you though Bill....(and maybe not for me either)  that's OK, you'll find a home somewhere else I'm sure...

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TrollstarTrollstar Member Posts: 332

Probably best to learn to strike from your vocabularly the term "carebear" if you wish to start encouraging folks who aren't quite as keen on PVP to consider playing the game.

Its an insulting term and does nothing to make people feel welcome in the community.

All game players are "carebears", if we weren't we'd be out taking risks in the real world with our body and finances

Who the hell are you, and why should I care?
    Congrats! You are a victim of Trollstar!

• FockerFocker Member Posts: 344

Originally posted by Trollstar

Probably best to learn to strike from your vocabularly the term "carebear" if you wish to start encouraging folks who aren't quite as keen on PVP to consider playing the game.
    Its an insulting term and does nothing to make people feel welcome in the community.
    All game players are "carebears", if we weren't we'd be out taking risks in the real world with our body and finances

As much as I like pvp, I do agree with this post too.  If you scare off everyone who isn't like "us" (Hard core pvp)  we''ll be left with few.  We need a mixture of both parties to make the game exciting.  Otherwise We'll have a routine which will become stale and boring after a while.

Originally posted by Trollstar

But why must carebear be a negative word?

I know many MMO players that are proud to be carebears. Thay all hate the concept of DF. And they are proud of that to.

And they all play WoW. And proud of it.

No....just no. Gear will be all player made except for the very basic noob gear you start the game with. This means that crafting will be a very needed part of the game or there will be no gear at all. This game is driven by your own skill as a player and not the stats on your gear like most other MMO's out there. This means that a highly skilled lower level could conceivably beat a much higher level with less skill. (Not that there will be character levels, just skill levels)

Also by easily replaceable I mean that there will be lots of people crafting gear, maybe even yourself. This means that if your a social type you may be able to get a friend to make you some new gear or even make it yourself if you have the skills for little or no cost to you. Also in this game you can get by and hunt, level your skills and even PvP in some lower level gear for a while until you can get to the point where you can get back to the stuff that you had if your skilled enough.

Do you see a common theme here? Your skill, your skill, your skill!! This means that there will be no "+20 Uber Swords of Noob Slaying" or "+16 Uber Platemail of Ultimate Protection" in this game. What there will be is the player and his/her skill at playing the game and that is it. Without the "Epic" type items most items will be easily replaceable as most decent towns and guilds will have at least one person(a player not a NPC) that can make any item. If your a social type or even an anti-social type with crafting skills you will be up and fighting again in no time flat.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• QuinguQuingu Member Posts: 400

Originally posted by outlaw101

The majority feel that FFA loot / PVP is great for the game, but there will be a few that will be scared of getting PKed or loosing their items, some call these "Carebears", I've created a poll to see how you feel about this.

forget it. wow brought to mmo's the most carebear pvp system i ever saw, people mentality about pvp is worse then ever because of wow. i would love to see a real PVP game, FFA, corpse loot, etc, but since release of WOW the real pkers are gone forever.

• This games not for carebears. This games for the people who want this kinda pvp so i don't get how carebears even get an oppinion on this. There's plenty of games out there with little or no pvp. Go play them. We're finally getting what we wanted...

Originally posted by Shannia

Nice try, Pal.  PvPers having been jacking up PvE games for the last ten years.  Kinda sucks doesn't it to have someone stepping on your playground?  Trust me, in the end the PvE crowd will get their own servers (or at least servers with alternative rule sets) or this bad boy will be self-published. OP, I can tell you've never worked for a PR firm.  That poll is so biased it bleeds written by a Darkfall dev.

oh really. if it's your playground why are you complaining about the concept of pvp. because it has pretty graphics so it should change it's whole design to cater to pve only? darkfall itself wouldn't work. there will be no pve server period. YOU are wrong.   if you can't handle it go somewhere else.

"Don't you fear that out of control player killers will ruin the game? No. Being a random player killer of evil alignment is definately possible, but also an extremely hard career. You will have enemies everywhere, and will have a hard time finding a safe city to sell/buy in. Also keep in mind that Darkfall is a very harsh world, deep into the dark ages and then some. This is a place were people will kill you if they get half a chance, loot you, take your equipment, and then brag about it to their friends. If you find it hard to get by on your own, join a clan, and you have instant protection, friends and allies. Grow strong, and go out and punish those that have done you wrong.

Remember that people can kill you, but you can also kill them. It goes both ways. Someone being rude, and refuse to leave you alone? Kill them. Someone stealing from you? Kill them. Someone camping your favourite part of the woods? Kill them.

We are not saying killing people is nice, a good idea, or even legal - we are just trying to prepare everyone for a really great game - a game were YOU decide what you want to do, and how you will interact with other people."

so with pve only game = teh failz

• outlaw101outlaw101 Member Posts: 351

oh really. if it's your playground why are you complaining about the concept of pvp. because it has pretty graphics so it should change it's whole design to cater to pve only? darkfall itself wouldn't work. there will be no pve server period. YOU are wrong.   if you can't handle it go somewhere else.

"Don't you fear that out of control player killers will ruin the game? No. Being a random player killer of evil alignment is definately possible, but also an extremely hard career. You will have enemies everywhere, and will have a hard time finding a safe city to sell/buy in. Also keep in mind that Darkfall is a very harsh world, deep into the dark ages and then some. This is a place were people will kill you if they get half a chance, loot you, take your equipment, and then brag about it to their friends. If you find it hard to get by on your own, join a clan, and you have instant protection, friends and allies. Grow strong, and go out and punish those that have done you wrong.

Remember that people can kill you, but you can also kill them. It goes both ways. Someone being rude, and refuse to leave you alone? Kill them. Someone stealing from you? Kill them. Someone camping your favourite part of the woods? Kill them.

We are not saying killing people is nice, a good idea, or even legal - we are just trying to prepare everyone for a really great game - a game were YOU decide what you want to do, and how you will interact with other people."

I used to play a game called tibia where random pkers and mass pkers got hunted by respectable people, the game had a spell that would help you track people down 'north east' or 'north' etc, and it really added balance to the game.

"Don't hold breath about another KOTOR game coming from Bioware" - Chris Preistly

"Bioware is more intrested in pursueing development of it's own Intellectual properties"

- James Henly

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280

Ah. This is it, the poll that shows the corruption of Everquests,World of Warcrafts etc.

Have you people read something about Darkfall before judging a open loot & open PvP? Gear is easy to replace, death penalties are minor. What are you scared off? Everything is craftable in Darkfall, even you loose your precious Sunbow, you can replace it in less than a day with the correct way of obtaining materials. (Naturally people have extra gear in the bank anyway)

If you are not interested in full loot, Age of Conan is for you, it has almost same features, expect it has those darn instances and single-player mode. Its so called "Safe version" of darkfall.

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

That is your opinion.  With one ruleset, it will end up having the same subscriber base as Dark and Light.  We'll discuss this again IF this game ever launches.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

Originally posted by Neherun

Ah. This is it, the poll that shows the corruption of Everquests,World of Warcrafts etc.
    Have you people read something about Darkfall before judging a open loot & open PvP? Gear is easy to replace, death penalties are minor. What are you scared off? Everything is craftable in Darkfall, even you loose your precious Sunbow, you can replace it in less than a day with the correct way of obtaining materials. (Naturally people have extra gear in the bank anyway)
    If you are not interested in full loot, Age of Conan is for you, it has almost same features, expect it has those darn instances and single-player mode. Its so called "Safe version" of darkfall.

Not really because if you tally up the "yes's" vs. the "no's" in this poll you'll find at the time of this post (44 votes).....

Yes = 56.9%

No = 43.1%

So the majority of the voters here so far think the game will be fine the way it's proposed. Polls can be misleading when there is more of one answer than the other. (3 yes answers vs. 2 no answers.)

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by outlaw101

Majority? I think you have a less the realistic interpretation of what the word "majority" means.

FFA PvP w/ looting CAN be fun, but it has to be done right.

A strong system in place to stop mass-pkers (i.e. justice system) is a very important factor.

Loosing items isn't what people fear, it's losing progress. You must understand, that getting a level 70 epic item in WoW isn't as simple as "getting an item," it's leveling your toon to 70, then going through whatever challenges are required to get that item, be it raiding, PvP, crafting, etc.

So it's not about losing the item as much as it is about losing the advancement you have made.

PvP item looting works when your advancement in the game is NOT tied to your gear. That is why it worked in UO. Your advancement was tied to your skills, not your gear. If Darkfall does this correctly it will work, and it sounds like they understand how little importance gear should have.

Simply saying "those who don't want to lose items are care bears" is not accurate, nor is it intelligent. Gear in a game like WoW isn't just pixels, it's a measure of progress and work.

And most "care bears" aren't afraid of getting PKd, that it also an ignorant statement, it's that they want to have a fighting chance.

It's the entire mentality of the "griefer" and "ganker" that has been built up over years and years of @sshats in PvP games that have ruined the play experience for others. It's a negative stigma, and stigmas are very hard to overcome.

Unfortunately, self proclaimed "hardcore' like the OP do NOTHING but add to the stereotype and stigma of FFA PvP/loot supporters being nothing but immature @sshats.

Suggestions-

1. Learn to write in a non-combative way (i.e. constructively)

2. Learn to make an un-biased poll

" Gear in a game like WoW isn't just pixels, it's a measure of progress and work."

But isnt that carebears? They have done work and are afraid to loose it.

If they had done the same work in UO and got some real nice items....they would  fully understand from the first day that they very well can loose the item. And they would still do the work.

Thats whats we are talking about.

I might very well work for six months to get a special cool looking hat in DF. And if i loose it.....i will have as many hours to get it back : )

Originally posted by daarco

" Gear in a game like WoW isn't just pixels, it's a measure of progress and work."
    But isnt that carebears? They have done work and are afraid to loose it.
    If they had done the same work in UO and got some real nice items....they would  fully understand from the first day that they very well can loose the item. And they would still do the work.
    Thats whats we are talking about.
    I might very well work for six months to get a special cool looking hat in DF. And if i loose it.....i will have as many hours to get it back : )
    Eh, I understand where you are coming from but I feel differently.

It's not just that you spent 6 months to get a "special cook looking hat" it's that you spent 6 months playing to get a hat that gives you +30 strength and immunity from Noobery etc. etc.

Hence the problem, game based off of gear = power is NOT going to work for PvP item loot.

Game where gear = stuff you use (like old UO) then yes, PvP item loot works just fine

Ahh ok : )

So the problem is that too few MMO players today have experinced a non-gear based MMO!

If a player only have example WoW to compare.....then indeed DF must seem very "dangerous".

I hope they all read up on the differences.

That is your opinion.  With one ruleset, it will end up having the same subscriber base as Dark and Light.  We'll discuss this again IF this game ever launches.

that's not my opinion i took that from the website. LOL

Originally posted by daarco

Ahh ok : )
    So the problem is that too few MMO players today have experinced a non-gear based MMO!
    If a player only have example WoW to compare.....then indeed DF must seem very "dangerous".
    I hope they all read up on the differences.

I think that is it 100%

Games of the EQ variety (like WoW) teach them that gear is EVERYTHING, so the idea of losing that gear is like losing your entire character.

It's hard to understand that gear doesn't have to be EVERYTHING, it can be a very small part, and it actually enhances the game if gear is just a small part.

Unfortunately, FFA PvP and ganking is considered by many to be a form of "interuption."

"I was just killing mobs and WHAM some @sshat came and ganked me for no reason!"

It's not that they are mad they got killed, they are mad that they got interupted. Even more so, they are mad that they had no control over their fate. Progression based games create such a power difference between noob and veteran, not having a snowball's chance in Hell is very frustrating.

On the other side of the coin... If they go out in the game world with the intention of PvP, and they die, it's not an interuption, it's part of the game. Hence, why so much focus is put on consensual PvP in the "modern" MMO.

See my point?