Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOTR naming policy

leave the obligatory "you agreed to the eula" (i just wanted to change a poor choice by them) lol,read on.

its really sad, you think you find a good game and then things go in the toilet. i took a stand in lord of the rings with their naming policy, stating it was archaic and self serving.  LOTR uses the term "pop culture" to cover anything any player could possibly come up with, leaving them an out to wipe any name as they see fit, right or wrong, regardless of the time that character/person has used that name.

i sent one pm to a dev, instructing them of their own violation, giving them a copyright number and letting the dev know they were in violation after the ingame help failed to get a result. a reply from the dev, a smartalleck (<--not the word i would normally use) response from my email, caused me to contact corporate in hopes of getting some resolution. shawn kelly then contacted me and asked what had happened. with emails as proof i was confident i would get them to see the error of their ways. wooboy was i wrong. the next email from shawn kelly LOTR, was less than friendly and accused me of harrassing and antagonism of his dev, i thought for a bit while i read and re read the email, asking myself, this guy read the other email? right? apparently word comprehension is not part of being a LOTR employee. suffice to say i lost the email battle, such that it was. again with the emails as proof, this shawn kelly still saw fit to berate and attack and fully support his dev and policy (not that it was surprising).

the emails as proof are waiting to be posted, want to take up the gauntlet shawn? and post everything, hope you do.

not normaly would i waste time on a simple dev or worry about trivial naming policies, but this guy at LOTR was simply baffling in his responses, using such terms as "my station" among others, just what station and what do you "think" you deserve? these folks even tried to quantify their stand by stating their devs had used those handles for years, i said just like the folks names you deleted without cause. that wasnt good to say either, it only solicited anger from them.

the easiest way to petition these folks is with the pocket book, they dont seem to "get it" shawn kelly definately doesnt.

too bad i liked that game, but dealing with folks like that leaves a bad experiance.

**add note, it wasnt my name, mine was fine, a couple of my friends however lost long term names without warning**

can you smell that?!!...............there is nothing quite like it.....................the smell of troll in the morning............i love that smell.

Comments

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

First of all...it is just a name, pretend it said name already taken or something. 

Did they erase "your friends" characters or just make them rename?

Secondly, do you also do the following for "your friends":

1) Cut up their food for them

2) Talk to girls/boys for them

3) Tuck them into bed at night

If they cared so much about their name being wiped, why aren't they the one contacting them?  If your friends can play on teh interweb, they can probably find a way to press a contact button on the official forums.  You went at the Devs in an aggressive manner I am assuming by trying to shove rules that are applied to the public in the face of the corporation making the rules.  Sounds like you were replied to in kind.

I am sure Turbine will miss your $14.99 for the next couple months you would have spent...but I am also sure they will get over it as I am about to take your place tomorrow when my free trial ends.

/no sympathy....you did sign the eula

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • StrayfeStrayfe Member UncommonPosts: 199

Am I the only one wondering what the deleted names were?

In all seriousness, the only thing I can judge from your post, is that if I were a GM, I'd be bashing my head against the wall, asthere are a billion things more important for me to do with my time than babysitting a random guy who wants to name his character something ridiculous.

If you don't like the customer service, by all means, it's your prerogative not to play that company's game.  However, if you're looking for a GM that will give you whatever you want, you aren't going to find it.  Turbine is one of the better companies out there when it comes to customer service

• elvenangelelvenangel Member Posts: 2,205

Employees of an MMO are not under the EULA or a terms of service agreement...hence they are not breaking their own rules.  While this makes it seem as if they are 'above' the rules they do have their own rule set which is probably much worse than the ones users are under.  It does suck they can do things that say the normal user can't like..having a 'pop culture' name (which they've probably been using since before LOTR even came out as was stated to you in the email you mentioned)...its those names that let them stand out in the community so users know who they are (and can actually bust them for doing something actually wrong like giving out items or services that are considered illegal in game).  

While it sucks your friend got busted (guess your friend shouldn't of broken the rules and hoped to not get caught )taking it out on employees of a company will get you some rather negative responses from other employees.   Especially if said response is on someone else's behalf (I should know i used to be right charged on trying to bust corruptive behavior on message boards back in the late 90s and it only got me temporary suspensions since its none of my business  etc etc ).   Your friend broke the rules, you both know the rules that they are 'end user' rules...dev's are not end users and granted you dont want to hear it but it only proves that you enjoy finding some reason to bitch and moan just because something happens.   They don't go hunting down name abusers, but if you get reported which is what probably happened to your friend, they will come after you.

I'm afraid out of all the possible scenarios of corruption and vileness that could happen that this is so silly  I can't find any sympathy for your cause....i'd be surprised if anyone else does either.  

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!

• KoolaiderKoolaider Member Posts: 450

The naming policy for this game is quite possibly one of the worst parts about this game. Many of the names that are considered to be "Pop Culture" references aren't even banned from the game. The only names they have banned to my knowledge are names that have Religious, Vulgar, or official Lord of the Rings character type names to them. I can still log into game any time I want and make a character named "Matlock" and play until someone reports me to a mod and has my name changed, only delete or make another character with the same name. And if someone wants to try and explain their case to a mod? Forget about it.

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by 8hammer8

First of all...it is just a name, pretend it said name already taken or something. 
    If they cared so much about their name being wiped, why aren't they the one contacting them?  If your friends can play on teh interweb, they can probably find a way to press a contact button on the official forums.  You went at the Devs in an aggressive manner I am assuming by trying to shove rules that are applied to the public in the face of the corporation making the rules.  Sounds like you were replied to in kind.
    I am sure Turbine will miss your $14.99 for the next couple months you would have spent...but I am also sure they will get over it as I am about to take your place tomorrow when my free trial ends.

Man o man do I love trolls.....especially ones who have as many posts as the one above. I expected more, but I guess I shouldn't.  Chastise a guy for simply calling out a company for looking like hypocrites, that is why customer service is so crappy these days. People expect to get treated like crap, and when they stick up for themselves, they usually are....OP good for you man, stick up for yourself and your friends...if you dont, who will?

• Unicorns_PwnUnicorns_Pwn Member Posts: 427

The naming policy for this game differs very little from any other game out there.  What they deem inappropriate is ultimately at their discretion. By now, everyone should know most games have these naming policies in effect, so complaining and screaming boycott will get you nowhere, except for maybe in the small circle of friends where your influence may mean something. Post the emails all you want, where you want but in the end people will still see it, and agree that Turbine is within their right to stick with the decisions they have made. You're only digging a hole deeper for yourself.

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144

No comment until I know what the names were that were changed. OP's post was sort of wasted by not telling everything.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156

Sorry to see you leaving the game, we can enjoy all sorts of folks in LOTRO.

But, it does sort of sound like you constructed your own problem out of nothing at all.

Especially if it wasn't even your business to begin with.

Might want to check yourself on this one.

• TrollstarTrollstar Member Posts: 332

Originally posted by seabass2003

No comment until I know what the names were that were changed. OP's post was sort of wasted by not telling everything.
    I agree...hard to even tell for sure what went down.... but I guess you tried to take issue with a Developer having a pop culture name, while your friends can't.  Hey, its their game, they can do what they want......

and its your money...you are free to take it elsewhere....

Who the hell are you, and why should I care?
    Congrats! You are a victim of Trollstar!

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486

I'm surprised you got any response at all from Turbine since it wasn't your account in question here. What sort of "resolution" from corporate were you looking for?

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Originally posted by Zarynterk

Originally posted by 8hammer8

Man o man do I love trolls.....especially ones who have as many posts as the one above. I expected more, but I guess I shouldn't.  Chastise a guy for simply calling out a company for looking like hypocrites, that is why customer service is so crappy these days. People expect to get treated like crap, and when they stick up for themselves, they usually are....OP good for you man, stick up for yourself and your friends...if you dont, who will?

Trolling?  Trolls flame people without reason or backing up what they say.  If you think my post is a troll, you must not spend much times around the forums.

The OP is making a proverbial mountain out of a mole hill...

He is calling out a company because HIS FRIENDS CAN'T FOLLOW THE RULES LAID OUT FOR THEM.  It is not even effecting him directly and like the above poster said the naming policy is not that much different from any other MMO.  The customer service is getting crappy in games because people like the OP are wasting companies time arguing on the behalf of another person over such a miniscule issue as a damn character name.

OP has to learn to pick his battles...relavent ones.  From what I have seen in the game so far most people go with the flow and create Middle-Earthesque type names.  It is quite refreshing actually to see those and not N00BZKILLA running around everywhere.

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

The naming part of your character is there as a help, but it doesn't force you to pick a middle-earth type name.  You can still come up with something original, but that also follows the rules as they've laid out as well.

I've got 5 different characters, they are all just one-syllable names.  Haven't had any issue with any of them since I started playing in April. 

As for the OP's post. 

Without knowing the names, kinda hard for people to make much of a judgment on how "pop culture" they were.

Also, you referred to the "emails" you got from the Dev. like they are some sort of "smoking gun".  Umm... hate to tell you this, but e-mails are easily faked.  So, it's basically your word against the Dev.'s word as to how accurate any e-mail posted is to reality.

From the response you got after you talked to someone from corporate, my gut feeling is that you are leaving out some pieces to the story. 

• graillgraill Member Posts: 257

totally with everyone on the eula, understand it. like i stated before just trying to change some things for the better, its the simple fact that when you find out the folks your giving your money to are <modedit>a group of overly zealous rule enforcers</modedit>, you tend to lose that warm and fuzzy :) like i said no big loss, i have too many boat to build this winter anyway. be good folks.

to the reply on my op, regarding "tucking my friends in" why dont you come tuck me in?

can you smell that?!!...............there is nothing quite like it.....................the smell of troll in the morning............i love that smell.

• graillgraill Member Posts: 257

Originally posted by dragonace

The naming part of your character is there as a help, but it doesn't force you to pick a middle-earth type name.  You can still come up with something original, but that also follows the rules as they've laid out as well.
    I've got 5 different characters, they are all just one-syllable names.  Haven't had any issue with any of them since I started playing in April. 
    As for the OP's post. 
    Without knowing the names, kinda hard for people to make much of a judgment on how "pop culture" they were.
    Also, you referred to the "emails" you got from the Dev. like they are some sort of "smoking gun".  Umm... hate to tell you this, but e-mails are easily faked.  So, it's basically your word against the Dev.'s word as to how accurate any e-mail posted is to reality.
    From the response you got after you talked to someone from corporate, my gut feeling is that you are leaving out some pieces to the story. 

lol, it was "....umm" from a dev that started the mess, who are you really dragon? < sarcasm-----  :)

last post on the subject. with your post dragonace you should also know emails cant be faked when copied by source, one up for server side coding. anyway nothings left out, lotr corp and the named individual and his bud dev can continue to enjoy "their station", kinda sounds like royalty? :) long live the king!

........not.

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835

Are you gonna tell us what the names were?

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

I'm just happy to see that they enforce the naming policy.

+1 for LOTRO.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

Originally posted by graill

As for the OP's post. 

lol, it was "....umm" from a dev that started the mess, who are you really dragon? < sarcasm-----  :)

last post on the subject. with your post dragonace you should also know emails cant be faked when copied by source, one up for server side coding. anyway nothings left out, lotr corp and the named individual and his bud dev can continue to enjoy "their station", kinda sounds like royalty? :) long live the king!

........not.

Heh... I wasn't implying that the e-mails YOU received were fake.  I was implying that we would have no way of verifying the e-mails that you would post onto here at mmorpg.com were real.

As the general tone of this thread has shown, the majority of players like the naming policy being enforced.  Doesn't it seem just a bit silly when your best argument is:  "Well, we didn't know they were going to actually enforce the rules!"? 

If nothing else you've learned that some companies actually put stuff down in their EULA because they mean it, not just for show. 

Originally posted by FikusOfAhazi

I'm thinking that since he hasn't said; it's because we would all go: "DUH!!! No wonder they made you change them."  

Although at this point, I'm not sure how many would believe what he posted or not.  So, it probably doesn't really matter now.

• hfhstukhfhstuk Member Posts: 1

The naming policy for this game is quite possibly one of the worst parts about this game. Many of the names that are considered to be "Pop Culture" references aren't even banned from the game. The only names they have banned to my knowledge are names that have Religious, Vulgar, or official Lord of the Rings character type names to them.

• RubakaiRubakai Member Posts: 97

Originally posted by FikusOfAhazi

I'm thinking that since he hasn't said; it's because we would all go: "DUH!!! No wonder they made you change them."  

Although at this point, I'm not sure how many would believe what he posted or not.  So, it probably doesn't really matter now.

Completely agree..I see these names being Boondaddy Roflcpoter or something. THe OP is probably taking his time to think of suitable names to post. This discussion is mute untill we see what names you are talking about.

• StormXXXStormXXX Member Posts: 48

Well there probably was a good reason for removing names. And consider yourself lucky that you had response from such busy people. Usually there is an automated answer for such cases as most often they fall into certain category. Although i myself came across certain inconsistency in naming in LOTRO. Namely human males have a tip for names that contains prefix Beo- and suffix -Wulf. However if you try naming your character Beowulf which would be perfectly appropriate following the tip - you get message that this name is not appropriate (not taken or reserved).

P.S and yea what were the deleted names ? I do hope nothing of the L33tC0C0L0C0 category since thats just plain asking for it.