Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about playing...does this game have direction?

Achaiah191Achaiah191 Member Posts: 12

A friend of mine and I were thinking about trying this game out. I played this game back during the korean beta, and wasn't too thrilled with it. It seemed like all I did was kill enemy after enemy after enemy and watch my experience sloooowwwlllyyy rise. Quests were too hard to do, or too hard to find. The game felt empty, the atmosphere was quiet, there was no music, it just felt real...blah. I enjoyed the combat, but got tired of grinding the same enemy over and over...I wanted to do quests. Grinds I dont mind...so long as I'm doing it for the sake of quests to gain experience or rewards. I'm not a big fan of grinding the same camp of mobs for hours on end to level. Is this how the game progresses?

Does this game give you any kind of direction? Will I log in and find myself saying what do I do next? Or can I go accept quests, go out and do them, finish that particular area of the world, and move on to another one with ease? Or will I have to constantly stop and ask for help on where to go next?

Do you level slowly in the game? Or is it a steady pace? Will I have to spend hours upon hours playing to progress? Or can I play this game casually? How is it in terms of soloing? Can I solo if I want effectively? Or duo? Or do I need a full party to do anything?

When does pvp really start getting good instead of murderers ganking newbs? When can I be strong enough to participate in big world pvp like attacking castles?

I know this is a big wall of text, but if anyone can help me with these questions, I would appreciate it. I really am considering playing this game.

Comments

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

the direction is mainly about grinding off of enemies and finding ways to get money if you're one of those masochist legit players (someone who gets by in the game without buying adena, which is probaly 5% of the game population)

the game DOES have quests, but don't expect anything like WoW. Most of your levels will be gained from grinding. Depending on how you view leveling, 1-20 seems fairly quick, but once you start getting further and further it becomes more and more horrid. There's only 30 players in the game that have reached the max level, and because of subclassing they get to get to that level 3 more times! yay! You will be spending hours upon hours to see progress though, even if you're loaded rich and have soulshots and best equipment (which you'll only have if you spend a ton of time figuring out how to get money, or by buying it)

you can solo, but a lot of players have second accounts with buffbots. You absolutely cannot play this game casually. You need to be about level 60 or higher to participate in castle sieges, you also need to be in a good clan and hope that the class you picked isn't worthless in PvP

honestly judging from how you sound from your post, you really wont like this game at all. But it does have a free trial still I believe, so check it out with your friend and see what you come up with

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by Asamof

(someone who gets by in the game without buying adena, which is probaly 5% of the game population)

Wow, thats a very clear, concise and exact number there.

You have access to some amazing statisical data. Mind sharing your source?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

This game is about player interaction and politics. That is your direction.

You can make your own direction, sure, but it is not about fun quests, decorating your house or any such activities.

There are quests but they are very utilitarian. If they are not class change or subclass quests then many of them have "so/so" rewards.

You get into a clan/alliance, grind for xp and siege or have clan wars. Sure, you can make your own time of it and roleplay, explore, raise a pet, etc, but this game in no way leads you around.

Also, the economy is very tough so a good portion of your time will be spent figuring out how to raise money.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • windstrike1windstrike1 Member Posts: 553
    Originally posted by Torak

(someone who gets by in the game without buying adena, which is probaly 5% of the game population)

I can confirm the 5% figure.

Originally posted by windstrike1

Well confirm it then.

waiting for source....

Or are you just trying to pass your embittered opinion off as a fact?

Forgot to mention the player politics, but honestly EVE supports that kind of stuff so much better than L2 ever will. you just have to look past the spaceships and be ready to sacrifice elf boobies

• TrollstarTrollstar Member Posts: 332

Well confirm it then.

waiting for source....

Deflecting the issue that many, many people buy adena which is a well known and confirmed fact by players who have witnessed and experienced it by arguing over the exact percentage is a cheesy debate tactic..... 

Who the hell are you, and why should I care?
    Congrats! You are a victim of Trollstar!

Originally posted by Trollstar

Well confirm it then.

waiting for source....

Deflecting the issue that many, many people buy adena which is a well known and confirmed fact by players who have witnessed and experienced it by arguing over the exact percentage is a cheesy debate tactic..... 

And yet you offer no proof.

What is a "cheesy tactic" is making a definitive factual statement and then not being able to support it whatso ever.  

If it is a "well known fact" post the darn source. Let me explain, In order for something to be a "fact" you have to be able to prove it. Thus far all we have is a few disgruntaled comments that are totally unsupported at all.

The OP of all of this claims that only 5% of L2 players do NOT purchase currency and yet offers no proof of this statisic. No I am not arguing that people do not buy currency as we all know they do in all MMO's but I want to know where the 5% comes from. A number that windstrike claims to "confirm". Confirms how? What statisical analysis / data / collection was used? The fact of the matter is there is no proof whatso ever, its just a few jaded opinions, you could say 50% / 75% or 100%...say whatever you want because it can not be supported.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

The game has a good design. i played it for 3 months and I really loved it. But, entire guilds buy adena or heal potions; when I was a player, some the well known spanish clan leaders admited that they were adena buyers, you can find tons of bots deleveling on cities. I know it first hand. Is a good an adictive game with a big problem. What pity. And yeah the direction of the game is Clan politics and castle assault.

• Anti-FanboiAnti-Fanboi Member Posts: 188

Well confirm it then.

waiting for source....

Deflecting the issue that many, many people buy adena which is a well known and confirmed fact by players who have witnessed and experienced it by arguing over the exact percentage is a cheesy debate tactic.....

What is a "cheesy tactic" is making a definitive factual statement and then not being able to support it whatso ever.
    If it is a "well known fact" post the darn source. Let me explain, In order for something to be a "fact" you have to be able to prove it. Thus far all we have is a few disgruntaled comments that are totally unsupported at all.
    The OP of all of this claims that only 5% of L2 players do NOT purchase currency and yet offers no proof of this statisic. No I am not arguing that people do not buy currency as we all know they do in all MMO's but I want to know where the 5% comes from. A number that windstrike claims to "confirm". Confirms how? What statisical analysis / data / collection was used? The fact of the matter is there is no proof whatso ever, its just a few jaded opinions, you could say 50% / 75% or 100%...say whatever you want because it can not be supported.

Do you have any proof that it's more then 5%? He made a claim but what percentage do you think don't bot or buy adena? Since you are keen on questioning him provide some counter points to disprove the massive botting ( of which not all are RMT farmers ) and adena purchasing that infests this game. The programs available to bot in this game aren't exactly a secret and the adena to RMT trade isn't exactly hurting either. You have yet to provide any hard facts proving him wrong either so I don't see how your opinion is any better then his.

Originally posted by Anti-Fanboi

Well confirm it then.

waiting for source....

Deflecting the issue that many, many people buy adena which is a well known and confirmed fact by players who have witnessed and experienced it by arguing over the exact percentage is a cheesy debate tactic.....

Do you have any proof that it's more then 5%? He made a claim but what percentage do you think don't bot or buy adena? Since you are keen on questioning him provide some counter points to disprove the massive botting ( of which not all are RMT farmers ) and adena purchasing that infests this game. The programs available to bot in this game aren't exactly a secret and the adena to RMT trade isn't exactly hurting either. You have yet to provide any hard facts proving him wrong either so I don't see how your opinion is any better then his.

Well thats just it, mine is an opinion, I never claimed anything. I never denied, made claim or said anything. I simply requested his source. If you what to make a hard statisical claim, usually you have a source.

So his 5% is a jaded opinion. Thanks for pointing that out. 

Since there is no proof, the 5% claim is out the window as is this topic.

cya 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

Originally posted by Anti-Fanboi

This is specious reasoning.

The claim is essentially pulling a number out of thin air to paint the situation as being incredibly dire. It is not possible to "prove" what the percentage of botters/cheaters are. However, it is not reasonable to just accept some number that the individual threw out there "just because you can't prove it".

If someone makes a statement then the burden of proof falls on them.

Yet it's still a silly arguement. Many people cheat in this game and many people don't. It is what it is. The real question is whether or not players can be expected to have a reasonably decent play session regardless of the cheaters.

I'm sure that that would be a much better argument.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • isurusisurus Member Posts: 396

Originally posted by Asamof  (someone who gets by in the game without buying adena, which is probaly 5% of the game population) 

well, tbh it's more like 6.

• burlyboyburlyboy Member Posts: 1

If you're looking for quests, try out Lord of the Rings Online, it has literally thousands of quests.  You can also grind if you want, but the real pleasure in the game is the story line - it's right out of the books.   Also, the gaming community is the best around, mature and generally good to interact with.

they offer a free trial atm.

• L2Dominion2L2Dominion2 Member Posts: 24

I would say this game is more going to be a "Third Person Shooter"-game with politics and castle assaults (aka capture the flag).

The latest Chronicle to the saga of Lineage II is the addition of the Kameal.

While it could be considered an add-on in contents to the game to some, it is again (to me personally) a conformation that the game is becoming a "TPS" (No healer/buffer classes within this new race). Also the fotresses added to the game are nothing more then capture the flag kind of action  (without being able to dodge). Of course if you capture a fortress it comes with benifits but that's about it.

Quests are definately not "well done" in this game as the effort / reward ratio of the quests are  way out of balance. Certain classes are overpowered and over the time of a couple of chronicles these classses have been enhanced to become even more overpowering. If any balance is enforced then this is done on complaints about Olympiades (an option available to nobbles aka charaters that grinded themselves to 75/75++) without regard to the impact the nerves/enhancements could have on the general PvP/PvE enviroment of the game itself.

Anyway that what I see when I think about Lineage II.

• isurusisurus Member Posts: 396

Originally posted by burlyboy
    If you're looking for quests, try out Lord of the Rings Online, it has literally thousands of quests.  You can also grind if you want,

Questing, grinding. I say toh-may-toh, you say toh-mah-toh.

oh dear me, I'm such a trouble maker