Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will it end up good?

They talk a lot about combat system, AI, pvp etc. But AoC seems to go more and more to same old mmorpg system. Will the hype kill it? I'm not sure anymore if I will even try AoC. I can't find anything that makes me go "wow"...

Played:
From Earth & Beyond, Anarchy Online, Matrix Online, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Age of Conan, Tabula Rasa (Beta), EvE Online, City of Villians, Atlantica Online, Guild Wars, Lineage 2, Pirates of the Burning Sea, PlanetSide, RF Online, Second Life, Fallen Earth.

Comments

• eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984

Originally posted by Binko

They talk a lot about combat system, AI, pvp etc. But AoC seems to go more and more to same old mmorpg system. Will the hype kill it? I'm not sure anymore if I will even try AoC. I can't find anything that makes me go "wow"...
    No, it wont end up good :)

The first few weeks there will be a flamewar because the game couldnt satisfy everyone.

After one month the uber powerleveling guilds will reach level cap and start to take over the most strategic places in the borderlands.

Six weeks after launch the roleplaing community will quit in masses because there is ooc talk all over the place.

One day later the 2nd flamewar will start. It will be about gold spam, farmers and PvP hackers.

Ten weeks after lauch patch 1.334omega will nurf the hell out of the game. This will start the 3rd flamewar.

20 weeks after launch the first voices will arise and preach about the Doom of Boredom.

24 weeks after lauch the extrem fanboi uber guilds will start to roll their 2nd, 3rd and 4th account. They will start to build alternative guild to exploit the idea that a guild only can have one fortress.

102 weeks after release the guild p0wah pwners (and their 46 shadow guilds) will own all fortresses in the borderlands on all servers.

Two days later the cleaning lady will end the drama by accidently pulling the plug from the servers.

Its a mmorpg. IT CANT end well

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

And i believed i was cynical.

/thumbs up

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

It all depends on how you define good.  To me, any MMORPG that has 100,000 or more subscribers, I would call good.  Like every other AAA game out there, it will settle into a 250,000 subscriber sweet spot and stay like for years. 

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Way to go! you Jinxed it now!  Because you question conan's greatness it is destined that you will not enjoy it.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by Illius

Way to go! you Jinxed it now!  Because you question conan's greatness it is destined that you will not enjoy it.

LOL, no doubt.  At first, when I read the question I was like how could it possibly not be good.  After all, this is Conan with a 70+ year history behind it.  Then reality set in.  Look at Dungeons and Dragons Online.  It should have been a great one, but ended up just a niche game with a very low subscriber rate.

I think the better question should have been, "WHEN will it end up released?"

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• throckmortonthrockmorton Member Posts: 314

If an interesting combat system and siege warfare doesn't make you go "wow", this game is definitely not for you.
  • tboxtbox Member Posts: 372

Who knows until you play it.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Best to reserve judgement until you play it :) whether in Open Beta or after.

I for one like the fact that the Conan Lore is being turned into a traditional mmorpg.

• BinkoBinko Member Posts: 267

I been playing AO for years so I know that Funcom can make great games. It's not that.

I was thinking on SWG. It's about Star Wars. Great game in the old days. But it's stuck being a Star Wars game. It have rules.

Dev team can't add things like a pink Stormtrooper etc. Dunno if that was a good example hehe.

Anyway they are stuck and people will ask for more and more. In the end things get boring.

So AoC is the new big game. We have players looking for a new game and a lot of Conan fans. AoC have a big hype. Will the rules kill the fun?

Played:
    From Earth & Beyond, Anarchy Online, Matrix Online, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Age of Conan, Tabula Rasa (Beta), EvE Online, City of Villians, Atlantica Online, Guild Wars, Lineage 2, Pirates of the Burning Sea, PlanetSide, RF Online, Second Life, Fallen Earth.

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

I dont think the hype will kill AoC. The fact is the hype is what makes AoC better. If there was no hype for AoC, investors would be pulling out, and then the devs would have a lot less money to work with --> worse product.

AoC will be just fine

Torrential

• kashaunkashaun Member Posts: 220

It's the lack of too many rules that has my guild interested. I'm sure we'll feel a bit limited with the zoning and stuff, but the open feeling of it pre-launch has us hyped up. When I think of rules, I'm thinking of game mechanics, a game can have nearly any setting as long as most of the games content is player driven. It's also pretty much the only game for us by default, there's just not any other games in development right now that would be a decent fit.

I know it won't be everything my guild is looking for and there will probably be some features we're not big fans of, but so far it looks like it will let us grow as a guild, plus the community there have been welcoming so far.

Never give up and never surrender!

• jbh142jbh142 Member UncommonPosts: 13

My guild is very intrested in AOC. But is going to be very wary since alot of us got burned with the big Vanguard screw up.  We went into Vanguard with 150+ members and well lets say only 2 of those 150 play now.

But if AOC delivers on 70% of what they say will be in at release the game will rock.

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Fact is, that it will be just fine. I dont believe it will meet everyones expectations right out of the box, but it will be a very solid game and with time, will develope into one of the giants of this industry.

Any decent game "Not WoW" has a good chance for success

Torrential

• PunknaughtPunknaught Member Posts: 92

Who knows till it comes out......at least it has various new ideas and some reinvented stuff not just the same old.

And being good and success are really debateable.  Since alot of really old games are still out there and havent tanked.  

• BinkoBinko Member Posts: 267
    I hope they don't talk too much. SWG team talked a lot and made people happy then patch after patch and it never came. Just a big slap in the face. Reaction can hit hard.

Played:

• Hydro101Hydro101 Member Posts: 49

Its hard to say. IM watching this game very closely. The Devs are attempting to take a little bit of everything that has been succesfull in other games and mold it into 1, much like what WoW did. However, WoW took many different aspects from other games, but stuck to theme park mechanics.

Aoc on the other hand, is attempting to mix theme park and sandbox as much as possible and provide a balanced system. Very hard to say how this game will turn out. Its a shame however how much Funcom has simplified things. Such as turning down player bounties, more dynamic class structures. and such fourth could really give a limitless feeling to the game. Instead they decided to restrict players to a more paper rock scissor system for class's and make the Bounty Hunter system NPC only.

Arena's could also run the games PvP if not careful, implementing a grind for pvp that many people dispise. We'll have to wait and see. This game will either be a big hit, or a big flop. I don't think theres much middle ground room for AoC.

• diricio1diricio1 Member Posts: 67

I think all MMO's start of slow at release, some people just don't give it enough time for the materials and mechanics the Devs promised, to be released. I dunno though, just a thought.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I do think the game is overhyped just like every other game that hasn't been played by the public but it doesn't mean I don't think this won't be good.

I think the pve portion of this game will be pretty darn good! Very nice graphics,good classes,crafting and what is more appealing is that it isn't a WoW clone.

I do think though that DX10 will be an issue for those playing on it. Dx10 is simply not ready for big time gaming. I do hope they can keep the issues down with Vista/DX10 so that those who play have an enjoyable experience.

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

The thing is, I dont think that it's Funcom who is doing the hyping of the game that is over the top. My issue is the way they've chosen to hype, what they've chosen to hype. I know that they've wanted to expose audiences to the elements of the game that make it worthy of the "M" rating, because that's one of things that makes it different. However some of the choices of focusing on "boobies" and blood splattering have made it come off a little sillier, and more juvenile than I think they intended. However.....it does get the point across.

I hate the phrase "viral marketing", but once people are exposed to AoC at release, if they really like what makes it different, it's that community who'll be the largest part of hyping, marketing, and introducing the game to potential players.

Kudo's to Funcom for setting out to do something different. The genre needs more that.

• kakarotragekakarotrage Member Posts: 280

I think everything said here is a load of BS and doesn't really matter, you can't tell wether the game is gonna be good when it comes to retail unless you played the BETA and got a general picture of how it will come out eventually.

So many games had so much hype around them, people sitting in forums for hours and hours saying how much this game will rock, watching every video, following every feature, but when the game comes out it doesn't take long to understand that the game sux hairy ballz (excuse my french) and many ppl start to /cry. (for example Dark and Light, Vanguard).

You just gotta wait for the game to come out and hope that the company that's making the game doesn't release the game because ppl are crying it takes too long but because the game is actually ready (see:World of Warcraft), cuz Blizzard knew they developed a real good product and that's why they didn't offer a life time membership (which means the game is crap AKA "give us money quick plx!!! before the servers get closed").

World of Warcraft is a proof that MMORPG quality should affect schedule/budget and not the other way around.

• YodaGreenYodaGreen Member UncommonPosts: 77

Originally posted by eugam

No, it wont end up good :)

The first few weeks there will be a flamewar because the game couldnt satisfy everyone.

After one month the uber powerleveling guilds will reach level cap and start to take over the most strategic places in the borderlands.

Six weeks after launch the roleplaing community will quit in masses because there is ooc talk all over the place.

One day later the 2nd flamewar will start. It will be about gold spam, farmers and PvP hackers.

Ten weeks after lauch patch 1.334omega will nurf the hell out of the game. This will start the 3rd flamewar.

20 weeks after launch the first voices will arise and preach about the Doom of Boredom.

24 weeks after lauch the extrem fanboi uber guilds will start to roll their 2nd, 3rd and 4th account. They will start to build alternative guild to exploit the idea that a guild only can have one fortress.

102 weeks after release the guild p0wah pwners (and their 46 shadow guilds) will own all fortresses in the borderlands on all servers.

Two days later the cleaning lady will end the drama by accidently pulling the plug from the servers.

Its a mmorpg. IT CANT end well

You miss Oracle in front of you name.

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

Personally, I feel it is still too early to predict.  Sure the game is set to release in less than half a year, but I feel it is too difficult to predict this.  I think open beta is usually a good measurement for this prediction.  But for now, the game has great support and everything that is needed to have a successful MMORPG.  I think it could be great, but it also has some shaky areas that still need to be revealed and finalized.  I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a lag fest like VSoH!