Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using "Expert" and up Salvage kits on stuff... ?

dmxkrewdmxkrew Member Posts: 56

Should I use regular salvage kits on things like "Axe Fiend Armor" and "Shaman Armor" or whatever "Charr Skins", etc -- those salvage items that always drop, and save my expert and ^up salvage kits for breaking down magic weapons?

Or do expert and better salvage kits sometimes produce a rare crafting item from these things?

Comments

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Originally posted by dmxkrew

Should I use regular salvage kits on things like "Axe Fiend Armor" and "Shaman Armor" or whatever "Charr Skins", etc -- those salvage items that always drop, and save my expert and ^up salvage kits for breaking down magic weapons?
    Or do expert and better salvage kits sometimes produce a rare crafting item from these things?
    You have the potential to get MORE or RARE materials from different items when you use expert kits.  I just use expert kits anymore.  Best way to get kits now is in Factions where you can usually buy 5 Emperial Comendations(???...the ones you turn into the Quarter Masters) for 150-200gp each then trade them in for the 100 use Expert Salvage Kits (worth 2K) I only use Perfect Salvage kits on Armor and mutli perfect modded weapons.

Getting rare materials is not possible on all items, but I will take what I can get from salvaging.  It is a great way to make money.  I would salvage everything I get then go into Droks or other highend armor areas and sell off my stacks and always finish with a good amount of plat.  I always suggest to salvage everything.

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• TalynTalyn Member UncommonPosts: 587

Depends on the item. If it's a 'colored' item then you might use the expert kit to extract a rune, insignia, or weapon mod from it. Otherwise check the wiki for which items have a chance of salvaging to a rare material. If I recall, you just recently started Prophecies so the expert kits might still be on the expensive side for you to be using every single time.

Once you get further along, say Maguuma Jungle, Crystal Desert and further, gold pretty much drops off trees and you can make a few platinum just from selling the drops to the local merchant after every trip to an explorable zone.

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Originally posted by Talyn

Depends on the item. If it's a 'colored' item then you might use the expert kit to extract a rune, insignia, or weapon mod from it. Otherwise check the wiki for which items have a chance of salvaging to a rare material. If I recall, you just recently started Prophecies so the expert kits might still be on the expensive side for you to be using every single time.
    Once you get further along, say Maguuma Jungle, Crystal Desert and further, gold pretty much drops off trees and you can make a few platinum just from selling the drops to the local merchant after every trip to an explorable zone.

Take a look at the trader for runes...9/10 times it is better just to salvage the purple and gold armors as the materials are worth more than the rune/insignia.  Blue armor (Minor Runes) are pretty much always worth more that the Major and Superior.

Do not salvage any mod that is not perfect (maybe a 1% off might be worth it as well), people don't want non-perfect mods because the won't raise the sell price of their item to the max.  Again, I just salvage everything and hardly ever sell to the trader.  I make more selling materials later on because I almost always get necessary materials or rare items using the expert kits.

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• TalynTalyn Member UncommonPosts: 587

I just vendor everything I don't want. I have better things to do than waste my time standing in district 1 of LA or Kamadan spamming trade. Like I said, money drops off trees once you're 20 and there are zero *required* money sinks in the game so I have no use for wasting my time trying to find players to buy stuff.