Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why not have a computer hardware/technical problems forum?

i see a lot of computer questions threads and "looking to upgrade my computer" threads, so why give these threads there own section?  i dont know about you, but i kind of like helping people find hardware and giving people solutions, so i would probably go to such a forum to help others quite a bit. I remember back when i was building my PC i had a bunch of help from people here, so i think that such a section could be fairly active (plus almost all MMOs are computer exclusive so most of us need computer help at some point or another)

just s suggestion, what do you all think?

Comments

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

I dont see what harm it would do. I mean this is a MMORPG site and there is an EvE forum, so why not add a PC hardware forum?

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• AnzieAnzie Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Spathotan

I dont see what harm it would do. I mean this is a MMORPG site and there is an EvE forum, so why not add a PC hardware forum?

The simplest way to put this, is like this. Buying a used/refurbished 360 is on the same plane as sharing a condom in a gangbang with strangers.
  • QazeQaze Member Posts: 247

I also think this is a good idea. But if you want your idea to be acknoledged by a site admin you should probably post this in the site suggestions forum.

Qaze - Atheist, Nihilist, Sadist.
    WinRAR.rar
    Mudkip Video

image Xfire= Qaze3000 - Add me if you're not a total retard.

• b0rderline99b0rderline99 Member Posts: 1,441
    Originally posted by Qaze

I also think this is a good idea. But if you want your idea to be acknoledged by a site admin you should probably post this in the site suggestions forum.

hmm i guess ill go do that, still with the variety in systems and system requirements of an almost exclusively PC genre, it seems like something that would be prudent to have here

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

I suggest having this move to Suggestions topic so it can see the attention it deserves. I don't think it would hurt as a majorty of the MMO's run on PCs and we always have them problems.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

Haha good one Spathotan.

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078

i don't see what the harm of having a hardware forum would be, altho i kinda like the various hardware/tech thread amongst the the rest of the banter, it breaks things up a bit.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Considering that the PC threads aren't that common would it really be worth it? Of course you could have a trial period, but I just see a few threads about computers popping up. Not common enough to have their own forum imo.

• b0rderline99b0rderline99 Member Posts: 1,441
    Originally posted by Godliest

Considering that the PC threads aren't that common would it really be worth it? Of course you could have a trial period, but I just see a few threads about computers popping up. Not common enough to have their own forum imo.

well i just thought so because unlike most threads these type of questions really need an answer, so giving people a condensed place to give/get help would speed things up most likely and probably guarentee help

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I remember suggesting this a couple of years ago, but we werent nearly as many members back then so I can understan why they did not add it.

Today however we are way past half a million members and we seem to have quite a few people patrolling the forums that can supply answers, so if it was a good idea back then it is an aweseome idea today IMHO.

/signed

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078
    Originally posted by b0rderline99

well i just thought so because unlike most threads these type of questions really need an answer, so giving people a condensed place to give/get help would speed things up most likely and probably guarentee help

i think this forum gets the broadest range of users, all of which are not hardware junkies and may be able to occasionally offer insight from past experiences where as other people in the specific hardware forum may have no clue. a diverse group usually can offer the best aid in my opinion.

• karlz0rkarlz0r Member Posts: 158

You have my support, it's a great idea in my opinion!

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

I think it's a great idea, but it would have to be a general technical computer support type of hardware forum.

I say that because most people ask questions like "Do I have enough memory to run EQ2?" or "Will my video card run COX?"  or "I get and error message when I launch FFXI"

I mean I think those would be better added to the forums for those actual games so that other people who play the games look at the problems.  A general Tech Support forum would be good for questions like... "I get a blue screen error that says (insert error here)"  or   "I'm building a new PC, is this video card a good card."

I guess I could go either way.

• MR-BubblesMR-Bubbles Member Posts: 649

Haha - someones got the green eyed monster.

But yea good idea a Hardware/Tech forum would be apropriate.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Retired from: Neocron, Everquest, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, RF Online and Final Fantasy VII

Currently Playing : EvE Online.

• TaeraTaera Community ManagerMember CommonPosts: 1,078

This is under discussion :D

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

In the years I've been coming here, there have been quite a few threads regarding hardware questions/discussions. They just get buried by the gaming threads. I support the idea of a hardware forum section, as long as it pertains strictly to physical hardware, i.e.  no discussions of virtual harddrives to circumvent copyprotection and such ( although running virtual hard drives/virtual PCs for multi-boot systems and such could be discussed.

• mundus01mundus01 Member Posts: 100

Yes I think that would be a good idea. I would be on it more then gaming ones.

• TaeraTaera Community ManagerMember CommonPosts: 1,078

Ask and ye shall receive!

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com