Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Don't...I...Erm...What The Hell?

L.DanteL.Dante Member Posts: 16

I love PvP and when I heard the bane was free I promptly downloaded it.

Took me 20 minutes to get used to the controls (Which I agree are horrible coupled with about a thousand buttons to open up screens I didn't understand.)

Then I killed a few Mobs...Then...Nothing.

The game isn't very newbie friendly, are there quests? What am I supposed to be doing? Is there a online manual which explains what I'm supposed to be doing?

Cheers.

Comments

• colouredcoloured Member Posts: 18

I have played the game for almost 4 years - the controls grow on you :) they arent nearly as bad as you think.

You start at newbie island, there are some mobs close to where you start, then press m to bring up the map look for the white skulls on the map these denote zones, run to one of them and kill more mobs.

The best thing to do is get in a group, it will make your life a lot easier especially when you get off newbie island to the mainland with open PVP.

stick with it, you need to get used to the game.

• Token1337GuyToken1337Guy Member Posts: 159

Yeah, this isn't a questing game.  It won't really hold your hand, it's mostly up to you where to go and how to go about leveling your character.  I know that once you hit roughly level 10 there should be a great camp to go and get a group in (at least on my tileset there was, an Orc camp).  You'll cost to 20 in no time at all.

Around this time it's best to either have friends or find a good guild.  Once you do, if it's anything like mine was, you'll be able to continue grouping and coast relatively painlessly to the high levels.  After that I recall hunting down some elusive drops with a friend of mine and then it becomes an issue of PvP.

Also, I recommend searching for some tutorials on how to arrange your interface.  There was a great one on YouTube that made my life much easier.

• L.DanteL.Dante Member Posts: 16

Thanks for the replys guys. Whats player numbers like? I mean I'm a PvP enthusiast and its either this or DAOC so whats it like?

• Forsaken3Forsaken3 Member UncommonPosts: 19

Depends on the server.

Vindication is a server that abides by a different ruleset (loreplay so there are restrictions to which races/classes/sexes can belong in the same nation/guild). You really have to like this ruleset in order to enjoy this server but those of us that play on it enjoy it immensely.

Mourning is a fairly active server and if I remember correctly, there are banes pretty much every day (haven't been on there in almost a year but that's what it was like...can't see it changing). You get into an active nation there and you'll get your fill of PvP.

Braialla...I'd stay away from this one. It was once completely ruled by CN (won't get into what CN is about here). I would guess that those who play there might comment differently but this is just my personal opinion.

Wrath isn't bad, either, but I just couldn't get a feel for bein' there. Still better than Braialla.

Redemption is the fifth server and I would put it ahead of Braialla but not sure where it would fit in with Mourning/Wrath.

My suggestion? If you're lookin' for PvP and overall numbers, Mourning would be the place to start. You should find a nation worth joining who can help get you geared up and levelled. Honestly, I'd go to the Mourning boards on the Ubi Shadowbane site and ask for some help in getting a nation and then get a decent build from one of them.

Failing that, you can always download the Shadowbane Test client (there's a link to it somewhere on those SB boards...I'll post it here if I can find it). Test server is the quickest way to try new things without it costing you a whole bunch of time and effort on a server that isn't going to get wiped.

Hope that helps a little.

P.S.

http://ubbforums.ubi.com/showflat.php?Cat=30&Board=testfeedback&Number=2817393&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1]

That's where you can find the Test forums and information on how to download the test client.

• L.DanteL.Dante Member Posts: 16

And this is why I love the MMORPG.com forums, incredibly decent responses from decent players.

Thanks alot Forsaken you pretty much hit the nail on the head, I'm going to get over the controls and give this bad boy a spin.

Thanks again mate.

• Forsaken3Forsaken3 Member UncommonPosts: 19

Always happy to help out.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy.

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

Mourning has the highest  population. Also, there is a great guild there called Dragonscale that accepts all new players

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

If you need a guild Saint Malorns fallen may be recruiting on Vindi.

http://www.spoonfedaddiction.com

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by ghoul31

Mourning has the highest  population. Also, there is a great guild there called Dragonscale that accepts all new players

King Stephen? (or was it Steven)

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S