Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need More PVP

The one this this game really needs is more pvp because i think the monster although new it stinks. I know its hard to add pvp to a game where everyone are allies so why don't they have a bunch of tounaments all over the place which would fit very well in with the deed system. it would work with everyone being allies because what middle earth needs are hero's and what better way to get hero's than having tournments. you could have small tounments in the shire and what have you but have grand tournaments too that come every few months and would last a whole weekend where you could become champion of the mirkwood or gondor (when those expansions get released)

Comments

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960

I think it's a mistake to believe every MMO released should target every type of player. Shadowbane was a full-on pvp slaughterhouse, Fury is 100% pvp with no pve at all, EVE Online is largely open pvp with very little pve, et cetera. This game is about pve, with a little pvp tacked on for spice. That's not going to change, and I don't really think there's any reason it should. If you love pvp, then just accept that this game probably isn't for you. Age of Conan, Warhammer Online and Pirates of the Burning Sea are all just around the corner, and all three of those are dedicating a lot of resources to pvp conflict for players just like you. That's just not what this game is about.

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

No, It needs more.. Cowbell! Sorry couldnt resist

• BedaBeda Member Posts: 86

Man, when are you people going to learn?  This is a Carebear game. Period.  And I don't knock it.  If people want to just PvE, then this is the game for them.  And i don't want to hear...it HAS PvP...no...it doesn't and never will.  It has Monster Play...and that....well that is just sad.   But, everyone has their own type of gameplaying style, and like i said, I don't knock it.  but if your looking for PvP.....this game will never have it.

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Originally posted by Beda

Man, when are you people going to learn?  This is a Carebear game. Period.  And I don't knock it.  If people want to just PvE, then this is the game for them.  And i don't want to hear...it HAS PvP...no...it doesn't and never will.  It has Monster Play...and that....well that is just sad.   But, everyone has their own type of gameplaying style, and like i said, I don't knock it.  but if your looking for PvP.....this game will never have it.

I mentioned is briefly in another thread, but my first sojourn into Monster Play left me wondering WTF??  Now please understand I am new to the game and I have played my first character up to level 11 so far.  I like the game a lot over all and look forward to much more fun in the future.

Here is my 10 step process I went through with MP:

1) Leveled my main to level 10 to get access - At this point I am excited and intrigued...

2) Got to pick 1 of 5 characters (including a spider or a warg) - Still excited getting more excited...

3) Pick a  name and voila...I start in Creep zone - I am motivated as I see quest rings all around me...

4) First thing I read in chat:  "Too many Freeps on right now, might as well grab a book for a while" and then  "Yeah, it is not worth going outside even" - I am like okay what ever that is all about, I don't like the fact that people are already resigned to not do anything because there are too many targets. (little did I know)

5) Grab all the quests and see one for collect 10 slugs or whatever - I think, simple enough plus I will explore, should be pretty cool.

6) Go right down a hill to start snapping at some slugs, target and attack my first one, before I even kill one, Freeps unstealth and proceed to gank me.  - I laughed at first cause of how silly the situation was and then when all the quests started coming back as failed...lol, I guess when they say death is not an option, it was not just character talk, they meant it.

7) More Creeps spot the Freep party and end up deciding to go after them, had 6 players with us versus the 4 man group they were at that point. - I thought revenge will be mine, but then when we did not get one down to half health and 3 of us died quickly I became a bit disheartened.

8) We decide to get even bigger group and so did they, it was now around 11 on 8 with us having the superior numbers and easily it was 3 of us dying for every kill we got on them.  - I am like, hi now I see why there is an underpowered or overpowered arguement and now just a little annoyed with this.

9)  Finally people started suggesting to go other places a "flip" sites and I like cool I am down for anything and none of the players moved in any direction and it got very boring.  - I thought people would be more active and want to work around problems and sneak off.  I could not even do the local quest for fear of getting pwned.

10) I finally just logged off with a bitter taste in my mouth. - I know this was kinda just thrown in to the game and I don't think it is altogether horrible but it is extremely unbalanced ( I know, not really saying anything new there).  But I will definately try it again, as there are people who really seem to enjoy it. - I look forward to giving it another try much the wiser....I hope.

*edit* forum glitch

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• TamalanTamalan Member Posts: 1,117

Need more PVP?

(as its pantomime season here in the UK I will answer appropriatly)

Oh no it doesn't!

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

I agree PvP is needed and bar far is the biggest flaw thus far in LOTRO. However, I do believe that it is likely to be revamped and flushed out as the game grows. there is a lot that LOTR has to offer and Im sure Turbine is not oblivious to that fact.

Torrential

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• RollotamasiRollotamasi Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 898

They should seriously ship this game with a HUGE disclaimer on the box that says the following.

"THIS IS NOT A PVP GAME.  THIS IS A PVE GAME.  IF YOU WANT PVP THIS IS NOT THE GAME FOR YOU.  IF YOU WANT PVE THIS IS THE GAME FOR YOU.  ONCE AGAIN, LOTRO = NOT A PVP GAME"  Seriously, its not a game designed for PvP.  If you want a PvP game wait for darkfall of AOC.  Don't try to change lotro.

-Currently looking forward to FFXIV

-Currently playing EvE and Global Agenda

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Originally posted by 8hammer8

I mentioned is briefly in another thread, but my first sojourn into Monster Play left me wondering WTF??  Now please understand I am new to the game and I have played my first character up to level 11 so far.  I like the game a lot over all and look forward to much more fun in the future.

1) Leveled my main to level 10 to get access - At this point I am excited and intrigued...

2) Got to pick 1 of 5 characters (including a spider or a warg) - Still excited getting more excited...

3) Pick a  name and voila...I start in Creep zone - I am motivated as I see quest rings all around me...

4) First thing I read in chat:  "Too many Freeps on right now, might as well grab a book for a while" and then  "Yeah, it is not worth going outside even" - I am like okay what ever that is all about, I don't like the fact that people are already resigned to not do anything because there are too many targets. (little did I know)

5) Grab all the quests and see one for collect 10 slugs or whatever - I think, simple enough plus I will explore, should be pretty cool.

6) Go right down a hill to start snapping at some slugs, target and attack my first one, before I even kill one, Freeps unstealth and proceed to gank me.  - I laughed at first cause of how silly the situation was and then when all the quests started coming back as failed...lol, I guess when they say death is not an option, it was not just character talk, they meant it.

7) More Creeps spot the Freep party and end up deciding to go after them, had 6 players with us versus the 4 man group they were at that point. - I thought revenge will be mine, but then when we did not get one down to half health and 3 of us died quickly I became a bit disheartened.

8) We decide to get even bigger group and so did they, it was now around 11 on 8 with us having the superior numbers and easily it was 3 of us dying for every kill we got on them.  - I am like, hi now I see why there is an underpowered or overpowered arguement and now just a little annoyed with this.

9)  Finally people started suggesting to go other places a "flip" sites and I like cool I am down for anything and none of the players moved in any direction and it got very boring.  - I thought people would be more active and want to work around problems and sneak off.  I could not even do the local quest for fear of getting pwned.

10) I finally just logged off with a bitter taste in my mouth. - I know this was kinda just thrown in to the game and I don't think it is altogether horrible but it is extremely unbalanced ( I know, not really saying anything new there).  But I will definately try it again, as there are people who really seem to enjoy it. - I look forward to giving it another try much the wiser....I hope.

*edit* forum glitch

Nice assessment there 8hammer8

That is fairly close to the experience I had the second time I went into Monster Play.  The first time being when the game was only a few weeks old, so not any Freeps on at all, so I got quite a few quests completed.

It is definitely a struggle to do much of anything as a Creep if there are well-organized groups of Freeps roaming about.  I'm hoping that is something they will address in some of the upcoming content. 

Perhaps spawning more friendly NPC Creeps of an even higher level depending on the number of Freeps in the zone.  Or, allowing Creep players access to special buffs depending on the number of Freeps.  Basically something for the Creep player to have a way to poke his head out of the fort without getting decapitated.  :)

On that note though.  I do find it funny that Free-for-all PVP'ers don't like the system.  Starting as a Creep you even have the advantage of having very high HP's and some pretty decent spells (considering you are a "newb" player and all).

Just think what it would be like if you were a Level 1 Orc or Goblin with the same amount of starting HP and skills as a Level 1 player.  There isn't an artificial "can't hurt me" barrier inside of the LoTRo's MPvP zone.  If you are in there, you're fair game for the other side. 

Like I said though, they'll need to tweak it some more yet to try and figure out a way to make the sides "balanced" no matter how many of each side are on at any given time.  For instance, if you login at a time when only a few Freeps are in the zone; you have pretty much free reign to do whatever quests you want, as long as you play smart.

However, if you login at a time when there are multiple full groups of Freeps mopping up the country-side.  You are going to be hard pressed to make it 500 yards out of the front gate.

As many have said though, the MPvP will always be the "side-attraction" to LoTRo.  It's PvE is the real focus.  The MPvP will improve over time though, just as the PvE side has.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• EventideEventide Member UncommonPosts: 74

Originally posted by 8hammer8

*edit* forum glitch

Yeah you start out pretty worthless as a creep. You can get a general idea of how powerful you are by looking at the color of the ring around your portrait. You start out as a green, and move up as you buy skills and traits and rank up, if I remember right at rank 3 with all your stuff purchased you are effectively a signature mob of that type. Depending on your class and skill at about rank 2 or 3 you can start soloing some Freeps, and that's pretty fun. Until then you kinda have to accept the fact that you are pretty much cannon fodder. Try and run in some small groups because the inf will be better than a full raid, allowing you to rank quicker (as long as your group is coordinated and killing Freeps :P). There are definately good times to be found, but those can be hit and miss, for instance PvMP tends to die for a while right after an update as Freeps go to check out the new content. If you are looking only to PvP Lotro probably isn't for you, or at least not for long. But as was said the battles can get quite epic on busy nights where you wind up with multiple raids on both sides fighting it out for the keeps, and those can be pretty memorable.

• SimmusSimmus Member Posts: 222

LOTRO is good right now ,dont change it and dont make a mindless pvp like WoW !:P

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Originally posted by Eventide

Yeah you start out pretty worthless as a creep. You can get a general idea of how powerful you are by looking at the color of the ring around your portrait. You start out as a green, and move up as you buy skills and traits and rank up, if I remember right at rank 3 with all your stuff purchased you are effectively a signature mob of that type. Depending on your class and skill at about rank 2 or 3 you can start soloing some Freeps, and that's pretty fun. Until then you kinda have to accept the fact that you are pretty much cannon fodder. Try and run in some small groups because the inf will be better than a full raid, allowing you to rank quicker (as long as your group is coordinated and killing Freeps :P). There are definately good times to be found, but those can be hit and miss, for instance PvMP tends to die for a while right after an update as Freeps go to check out the new content. If you are looking only to PvP Lotro probably isn't for you, or at least not for long. But as was said the battles can get quite epic on busy nights where you wind up with multiple raids on both sides fighting it out for the keeps, and those can be pretty memorable.
    Thanks for the suggestion to run in smaller groups, I will look into it.  By talking to people and reading forums, I pretty much know what to expect out of MP now.  I pretty much won't be "shocked" by anything, so now it is just a manner of getting better and working out plans of attack.

I got LOTRO solely for the PvE, I play Guild Wars for my PvP fix.  That is why the lopsided MP is by no means a deal breaker.  I am having fun trying out different classes in PvE on different servers and having a great time.  Maybe in a few months, I will be the ganking Freep

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)