Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New to LOTRO...Need help

Hello all,

A group of friends and myself  have left WoW, and have picked up a copy of LOTRO and would like some help on deciding on a good server out their.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156

Depends on what you want :

Unofficial RP Server :  Landroval

Low Population :  Take one of the three or so they recommend.

High Population :  Take any of the others.

PvP :  None Available

Good Hunting

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Most every server will be fine. The Best serevr is the one you have friends on. So just make sure you and your buddy gt on the same one and youll be fine.

Good Luck

Torrential

• jedi_jakejedi_jake Member Posts: 8

Thanks for the help. Got another questions for you.

What is the most sought after class in LOTRO?

• 3ddyt3ddyt Member Posts: 20

dude my suggestion is, dont let these guys or me tell you how to play the game! You've done WoW and guessing you know a lot on it (hence the moving on), use these questions and find out for yourself thats part of the fun of tha game :D:D:D

Everyone has preferences etc :]

Get playing!!!

Edward thomas

• One_HaxOne_Hax Member Posts: 11

Okay, let's say I wanna make a Lore-Master, what vocations or professions should i pick up?  Or what race should my Lore-Master be?  Thanks for the help in advance!

Playing:Console
    Retired:SWG, GW, WoW, EQ2, D&D, DAoC, Vanguard, LOTRO
    Waiting on: WAR

"Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

www.stormhavenguild.com  scoll down and click on the lotro Chapter  link. Great bunch of folk that will help you in your travels in middle earth

• DulainDulain Member UncommonPosts: 616

Were you planning on playing on the US or the EU servers?

I think that Brandywine has the highest population out of the US servers.

I like all the classes in the game so it is always hard to choose for me. The most needed would probably be Guardian or Minstrel. You can do without either for most of the game's content if you have a good group of people to play with though.

For Loremaster I like to pick the race of Man. Man gets a 2k+ morale self heal. So you will have 2 instant cast self heals if you go as a Man. For crafting professions, I see many Loremasters pick up Scholar. You can make your own Books, as well as buff scrolls and potions. You can also use farming to make the components for your 'rez' spell.

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540

I had a question as well and it may help the op, when we go pvp on the monster play does all the servers go to one pvp server or does each server have its own pvp server for the monster play?

playing eq2 and two worlds

• DulainDulain Member UncommonPosts: 616

Originally posted by boognish75

I had a question as well and it may help the op, when we go pvp on the monster play does all the servers go to one pvp server or does each server have its own pvp server for the monster play?

Each server has it's own. So as a Creep, you will be killing Freeps that you normally would be levelling up with. :D

Thanks for the info Dulain, Man Loremaster with Scholar it is... I just wanna do things right the first time

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Historian (i.e., scholar) is a fun proffesion, but I don't recommend it for your first character in the game

It's challeneging to level unless you have higher level characters that can feed it money, and you will make so little selling potions and dyes that you will really struggle to afford a house and a horse at higher levels.  It also comes with one nearly useless proffesion (farmer), and another profession that's awesome but that you can't gather the mats for (weaponsmith). 

It all adds up to Historian being a hell of a bitch if you don't have other characters to support it, and it might very well sour you on the whole crafting system if it's your first toon.

If you want something that makes a ton of cash (ala a mining / skinning combo in WoW) I would highjly recommend that your first chracter be an Explorer.  You will be able to make your own cloth armor, and you will make giant wads of cash selling mining products.   Another good one for a Loremaster is jeweler, and it's much more self suffiicient than Historian.

Loremaster is a great class.  They solo well and groups love them.  Of course if you pick a server with a decent pop, you aren't going to have muhc trouble getting groups with any class (at least from the Breelands on)>

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

Alright, thanks for the info man, i just want as much feedback as i can before i make my toon today.  And since this will be my first toon i think i'll avoid the hard crafting for now, since i won't have cash to back him up, don't want to get frustrated with LOTRO Crafting on my first few days.

• jedi_jakejedi_jake Member Posts: 8

Anybody have any suggestions on what race makes a good burglar? As well as what voactions. I am also about to roll a new toon on LOTRO.

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Originally posted by jedi_jake

Anybody have any suggestions on what race makes a good burglar? As well as what voactions. I am also about to roll a new toon on LOTRO.
    It's only between Human and Hobbit for Burglar.  Many go with Hobbit because of the natural connection with the books, although there are some nice benefits of being Human as well.

Mainly the Return to Bree skill (Bree being the Hub of most of the mid-to-upper levels), and the 2k+ Morale insta-heal skill. 

I'd spend a bit of time playing around with both until level 10-15 (it doesn't take too long to get that high).  Then decide which one you liked best.

• OdyssesOdysses Member Posts: 581

Hobbits for challenge as a burglar.   Men have a lot of racial advantages especially the hefty human heal.   But you really should play the race and class you enjoy instead of what you may percieve as really minimal advantages.