Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old player returning, need some input and have questions

djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677

Hello all, I started playing back when the game was first released, and after some thought ive decided to give the game another shot. My highest lvl toon was a 40 warlock so ive never even really experienced alot of the game.  I plan on sticking with things this time around, and experiencing all the game has to offer. Ive already picked up the expansion as well. I had a few questions if anyone could answer them.

1.) Is it hard finding groups or new players that are lower lvl to play with?

2.)  Since im gonna start from scratch, what would be the best server to join?

3.) what would be the best class to play in order to find groups easier, ive heard when it comes to like a DPS class for instance theres so many that somtimes its hard to find a group?

Thanks

Comments

• bonobotheorybonobotheory Member UncommonPosts: 1,007

1. If you're a class that's in demand, no. If you're a class that's not in demand, yes.  When I made a new Hunter, I did a total of two dungeons on my way to level 70.  When I log in with my Warrior, I get invites within a few minutes.

2. It doesn't matter. The newer servers still have plenty of high-level characters that have transferred over or simply leveled very fast, and the older servers have plenty of new players and old players creating new alts to take advantage of the increased XP gain.

3. Healers and Tanks. Play a warrior, Priest, Paladin, or Druid, and you shouldn't have much trouble finding groups. Play a Hunter, and you get to solo your way to 70.

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

A couple of things.  First, don't expect to get groups to quest with. WoW is very solo friendly so most people solo the quests for the most part.  You might be able to find a group for some of the group related quests though.  Use the looking for group feature to find a group for dungeons.  When you log in each time, set a search up to start looking for groups for a dungeon or 2 or 3 that you have quests for and then just start playing.  If you get a group for a dungeon great, if not then you haven't wasted any time looking for one.

As far as servers go I think what you should be more concerned about is whether or not you want a PvP or PvE server.  Since you can play in the Battlegrounds on both PvP and PvE servers, what you really have to ask yourself is do I want to be able to gank/be ganked.  If the answer to that is no, then choose PvE...trust me you'll thank me.

Despite the doomsayers, the servers are quite populated, however most everyone is in Outland, which you won't be for at least a while so you'll be in the minority.  You'll still see plenty of people around, but since WoW is a solo friendly game a lot of them are soloing it.  You may have to get a little aggressive finding groups, but don't just spam invites as everyone assumes that a random invite for a low level character is a gold seller, which too often IS the case.  Rather look for people that are in the area that are about the same level and send a tell asking if they would like to group up.  Many people will if you give them 1/2 a chance.  If someone does and it goes well, add them to your friends list so that you can find them again.  And if you find someone whom you enjoy grouping with and they are part of a guild, see if you can get an invite into the guild.  That's a great way to find people to play with.

I don't think class matters all that much if you use the looking for group tool.  Groups really only need 1 tank and 1 healer, the rest can be filled in by pretty much any class, so you'll find groups for them too.  It certainly won't hurt to be one of those classes, but if prefer Hunter, go for it.  Hunters are great DPS'ers now and every group will welcome you.

Good luck.

• AndorhalAndorhal Member UncommonPosts: 73

Originally posted by djnexus

Hello all, I started playing back when the game was first released, and after some thought ive decided to give the game another shot. My highest lvl toon was a 40 warlock so ive never even really experienced alot of the game.  I plan on sticking with things this time around, and experiencing all the game has to offer. Ive already picked up the expansion as well. I had a few questions if anyone could answer them.
    1.) Is it hard finding groups or new players that are lower lvl to play with?
    2.)  Since im gonna start from scratch, what would be the best server to join?
    3.) what would be the best class to play in order to find groups easier, ive heard when it comes to like a DPS class for instance theres so many that somtimes its hard to find a group?
    Thanks
    1.) If its a non-raid, then look for a group that doesn't care about experience, but loot, because you will be taking most of it away from them if they don't end up doing enough of the work. Most groups take all of the high level help they can get, as people get higher and go into the outlands, there are less people to do the lower end instances with.

2.) It really depends on a combination of two things, your location, and your play style.

It will reccomend the closest server to you when you start it up at first, use the ones closest to the top of the list as priority, only stray away from that if you have a bad experience with people or if there is none on, or to play with.

The second this depends on your playstyle, the type of the realm / server.

First, there's Normal PvE, the one I think it reccomends to you, no guidelines on naming, and PvP when you want. 

Second, there's Roleplaying PvE, there are naming guidlines, and there might be some other differences.

Third, there is the PvP server which is all PvP all the time if you are not in an <30 zone which is controlled by your faction.

3.) If you want to be shure you get into a group, go either mage or warrior or mostly preist.

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

WIth the new patch they made leveling from 20-60 easier.  Less xp needed to level and more xp rewarded for quest completion.  They also upgraded a lot of gear in old world instances and some quests, so it will last you longer.

If you play a holy priest you'll get groups easier.  Just be aware you probably won't be able to solo for diddly.  Mages of any kind are usually easy to get into groups, dps is dps after all and everyone loves free food/drink.

Server really doesn't matter, just pick the kind you like (pvp, rp, etc) and one that isn't listed as "full" (less frequent queue times).

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Hey I recently came back also.  I've leveled my old Priest from 51 to 59, and my Warlock from 52 to 61.  I was trying to figure out which to get to 70 first with.. Or maybe just the only one to 70.  The xp gain is way faster now from 20-60 and a lot of people solo so I would first ask yourself what you want to do.  Tank, Heal, Deal damage, or Support, or a Mix?  I am going to go with my Priest because I like to heal, and deal damage when I want.  I love Priest.  However Warlock is way easier to solo with.  I get torn because both are fun.

Anyway for server choice I would honestly suggest one of the RPPVP realms.  I have one character on each of them and I run into really mature quality players every day.  I think the RP attracts a slightly more mature crowd and I have also rerolled a Shaman and gotten him to level 13, and played on my 18 Rogue and I run into people everywhere I go on the oldest RPPVP servers and the newest.  The game is still thriving.

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

Ok, first off; play what ever class fits your style.  DOn't just play a class because everyone says their better. . .because every class has their downfall and weak points.  So just play what you enjoy.  Second off, you will have no problems finding groups.  The game is still going very strong. . .you will find plenty of people in Azeroth, trust me.. .I'm still only level 44.  But please, whatever you do, PLAY WHAT YOU ENJOY.  I'm sick of people playing what class they think is the best.  Anyways.  I know a good server is Kirin Tor.  It's an RP server with a pretty good player base.  I know I'm in a casual guild right now that likes to do a bit of everything.  So if you do join Kirin Tor, look up Callistae (that's me) and I can hook you up with a great guild.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• SophistSophist Member Posts: 171

Play a Hunter, and you get to solo your way to 70.

Well you do get your choice of a pet companion.

"The most important thing is to have the design support the players in setting their own goals in both cooperative and competitive interaction with one another." - Ironore -