Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ureeka: the reason why RS is so popular

JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

I quitted RS a while ago, because most aspects of the game suck arse. But there is something about the game which is great, I've put my finger on it. its the ecconomy. This is why its so popular according to myself, who has played this game LOTS and other mmorpgies.

Anyone else know a another game with such a harsh and dynamic ecconomy. I'm think AO and Eve are my best shots. But AO is old and I don't like the look of a spacecraft based game.

My blog: image

Comments

• KaabulkKaabulk Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by Consensus

I quitted RS a while ago, because most aspects of the game suck arse. But there is something about the game which is great, I've put my finger on it. its the ecconomy. This is why its so popular according to myself, who has played this game LOTS and other mmorpgies.
    Anyone else know a another game with such a harsh and dynamic ecconomy. I'm think AO and Eve are my best shots. But AO is old and I don't like the look of a spacecraft based game.

Alot of online games with a trade function have a good economy... Its mostly how much people are willing to buy it for. The economies of MMORPG's closely resemble market economics no doubt alot of you already know. And by the looks of it, it looks like you haven't played that many other MMORPG's other than the ones you mentioned.

• QSProductionQSProduction Member Posts: 12

hmm, i think thats probably the best part of runescape, being able to trade and stuff. and it also has quite a good defence against hackers. but its just too boring for in the end. i believe more things should probably be added to allow you to have your character completely unique to everyone elses

• Runefruit10Runefruit10 Member Posts: 42

I quitted RS a month ago. I check back once in a while for news, for example they just added loot share (about time). I agree the economy of RS is fun to watch. I have to say I've never seen so many players gathered in one area more in any other MMO than World 2 Falador.

Among The Shadows
    http://atsdf.com/

• LlamsterLlamster Member Posts: 234

You aren't anywhere near the truth. RuneScape is popular because it's easily accessible. It is, without question, the best browser game ever made.

Have played: RuneScape, EQ2 (free trial), Last Chaos, Silk Road, Dungeon Runners.
    Currently playing: RuneScape, Dungeon Runners.

The notion that graphics, or anything else for that matter, are anywhere near as important as gameplay/fun is so utterly ridiculous that anyone who shares such a view should be placed in an asylum.

• rpg-playarpg-playa Member Posts: 5
    runescape is great n has improved but it is gettin borin. i made 6 accounts n 5 of them had been hacked. cheatin n scammin takes the fun out of it.

• DemonZabuzaDemonZabuza Member Posts: 71

Only reply i have for that is sucks for you

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167
    Originally posted by DemonZabuza

Only reply i have for that is sucks for you

who r u replying to?

?

• bobdorfbobdorf Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by rpg-playa

runescape is great n has improved but it is gettin borin. i made 6 accounts n 5 of them had been hacked. cheatin n scammin takes the fun out of it.

Jagex has never had its account/password database hacked into. Or so they say.

Regardless, it's much more likely that if you had your accounts stolen, it was for one of the following reasons:

1) you shared your password willingly with someone, whether you were tricked into giving it out, or you were account sharing

2) you made your password incredibly easy to guess, so someone you know would be able to access your account without much effort at guessing your password

3) you didn't set account recovery questions, or you made your recovery questions obvious for people who know you, or you gave out your recovery question answers in-game

I'm sure there are other cases, but I'm confident these are by far the most common reasons for having your account "hacked". All of them rely on you and your ability/willingness to make simple, straightforward efforts to maintain your account's security.

• ruoyajiaruoyajia Member Posts: 9

just want to know how to play this game?

Originally posted by ruoyajia

www.runescape.com

?

• pk3rpurepk3rpure Member Posts: 86
    Yeah runescape has sort of died. The graphics need to be updated, the interface is old, and the in game community is 90% scammers. Ok maybe 20%.

If Jagex comes out with a HD version of runescape it would be many times better. Even if it costs alot of money it would still be worth it.

Originally posted by pk3rpure

Yeah runescape has sort of died. The graphics need to be updated, the interface is old, and the in game community is 90% scammers. Ok maybe 20%. If Jagex comes out with a HD version of runescape it would be many times better. Even if it costs alot of money it would still be worth it.

Well actually the graphics are being updated, some of them are quite good, you cant see any lines on any of the monsters or buildings. Scamming has decreased alot since an update they made where it says what the person has taken away from the trade screen etc. And about it dying, its constantly growing in amount of players.

?

It may have an increase in players, but I know from experience that one person can have many accounts. I for one have 12 accounts, all active. I haven't been on RS2 for a few months so I haven't seen the interface. Does it actually fix the scamming issue? Last time I played the main scammers were the ones selling their accounts, not the ones doing trade scams. Also the graphics, compare to WoW, end of story.

Originally posted by ruoyajia

Uhh you have extremely bad grammar.  So stop posting in forums because your about as helpful as so go away before I do this

• DemonZabuzaDemonZabuza Member Posts: 71

wow that was off topic ^.^

but yeah the scammers are still there its just you learn how 2 avoid them =P+

• bobdorfbobdorf Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by pk3rpure

Last time I played the main scammers were the ones selling their accounts, not the ones doing trade scams.

It should be mentioned that Jagex officially does NOT care if people get scammed while trying to buy/sell accounts. That is, Jagex staff can be pretty harsh when unambiguous rule violations occur. If you (anyone) decide to play the game, read the rules first or you might end up banned unexpectedly.

• timmytgtimmytg Member Posts: 5

The people that get hacked in  Runescape are either attempting to cheat and download a keylogger, or have shared their passwords with others, and they cheated you.

Never been hacked, never will....lvl92

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

The reason runescape is so popular is that you have one character that can do anything.... or everything at any time. You don't have to choose a  "class" or a guild or anything else, you can do clan wars or choose not to , and the game play of walking around doing quests or skills you meet random people all the time. Unlike guild wars where you have to select party members when you don;t know anyone when you start out.  I do not understand why all the games make you decide what you want to be before you ever play it... is the only reason i haven;t found another i really like yet .. though i have been searching. It is also affordable considering I pay for 10 different memberships for family and friends... if I did that with the other games it would cost me a fortune. The unpredictability of whether someone is going to mage range or melee at any time during combat makes it fun, with most games you will know what the other players abilities are as soon as you see their character. and can be prepared to counter them. I mean you might as well be fighting an npc if you know what they are going to do already. The ability to do what you want when you want makes it a good game .. and from my opinion .. the only thing i like about it. They punish you the higher level you get instead of reward, all the waiting for everything whether it be a magic log to chop or a rune ore to mine.. it's a lot of waiting.  After 120 all there is left in pvp is clan wars because of the combat system.  They worry about what some kid who will play the game once and complain about  it then leaves thinks than players that have played for years.  I have only continued playing it because I have real friends there and i don't really feel like going out to the club and  having 200 scumbags hit on me everynight.

• KemenlithKemenlith Member Posts: 263

Originally posted by deviliscious

The reason runescape is so popular is that you have one character that can do anything.... or everything at any time. You don't have to choose a  "class" or a guild or anything else, you can do clan wars or choose not to , and the game play of walking around doing quests or skills you meet random people all the time. Unlike guild wars where you have to select party members when you don;t know anyone when you start out.  I do not understand why all the games make you decide what you want to be before you ever play it... is the only reason i haven;t found another i really like yet .. though i have been searching. It is also affordable considering I pay for 10 different memberships for family and friends... if I did that with the other games it would cost me a fortune. The unpredictability of whether someone is going to mage range or melee at any time during combat makes it fun, with most games you will know what the other players abilities are as soon as you see their character. and can be prepared to counter them. I mean you might as well be fighting an npc if you know what they are going to do already. The ability to do what you want when you want makes it a good game .. and from my opinion .. the only thing i like about it. They punish you the higher level you get instead of reward, all the waiting for everything whether it be a magic log to chop or a rune ore to mine.. it's a lot of waiting.  After 120 all there is left in pvp is clan wars because of the combat system.  They worry about what some kid who will play the game once and complain about  it then leaves thinks than players that have played for years.  I have only continued playing it because I have real friends there and i don't really feel like going out to the club and  having 200 scumbags hit on me everynight.

Look for Heroes Journey. (when it comes out that is) Classless, and amazing. Their official forum is horrible, so use www.heroeshall.com

Another MMO that is classless that should be coming out within a year is Fallen Earth, but that is more of a Sci-Fi/ Apocalyptic game. www.fallenearth.com

Currently: Playing EVE Online
    Previous: FFXI, Dragonrealms, sad little stint in WOWland.
    Awaiting: Fallen Earth, Hero''s Journey, Tabula Rasa, Age of Conan.

• ArathorArathor Member Posts: 92

Originally posted by Llamster

You aren't anywhere near the truth. RuneScape is popular because it's easily accessible. It is, without question, the best browser game ever made.

Not without question... www.eternumonline.com

Originally posted by Arathor

Originally posted by Llamster

Not without question... www.eternumonline.com

LOL

?

• draguleadragulea Member Posts: 249

Originally posted by timmytg
    The people that get hacked in  Runescape are either attempting to cheat and download a keylogger, or have shared their passwords with others, and they cheated you.

You're wrong. My toon got hacked 2 times although I never visited unofficial Runescape sites, never searched for bots, hacks, ot whatever, and never shared my ID & pass with others. So it can happen although you're playing legit 100%.

no not really it can't... if it did then a lot of high players would be hacked on a regular basis.

?

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

Originally posted by AkaJetson

no not really it can't... if it did then a lot of high players would be hacked on a regular basis.
    yes.. yes really it can, and does.  Most of my friends are 120+ and alot of them have been hacked at some point. When I was hacked it was really odd, they hacked my noob that had nothing on her, and at the same time with the same pass... my 122 had full guthans dragon and 12m  in my inventory... so if it had been a keylogger.. virus ect.. why would they have not hacked  that account instead? The only differerence between the accounts  is that my noob went to nonmembers more often, and all my friends on my noob knew me on my other account as well. Luckily bank pins were in place at the time , though they tried to delete it, I was lucky enough to get my account locked before they could get in there. I changed my password for both accounts every month, as I always have, just now I use a different one on each ( to be careful).  The word was not something easily guessed or even a word in the dictionary.   I  keep my computer updated and both my antivirus programs as well as all my firewalls. I do not use unoffical fan sites or have ever  cheated. I won't  use switchshift .. even though  my mod friend told me to. Though we would like to pretend that hackings don't exist and cannot affect everyone.. they can, and do. Unless you barter a deal with jagex like zezima has  where only his computer can log into his account.. your just as at risk as anyone else.