Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New player question about PvP...least what I read on back of box. And about leveling...

SotoSoto Member UncommonPosts: 177

I saw the new expansion yesterday, at BestBuy, and read the box. On the back it mentions something about "balanced PvP". Has EQ2 'balanced' the PvP or is that writing on the box misleading?

Are tanks owned when solo encounters happen? Can rangers out melee fighters? Just what is ment by what I read on the box???

Also, as a new player would I have to start out on the newbe 'Island' or could I make a charater and level from 1-20 in the the new areas that come with the expansion?

thx

the sword of no sword...

Comments

• quaikyquaiky Member Posts: 566

i think there is no chance to completely balance 24 classes for pvp over 80 levels. i cannot comment that good on pvp balance in reality cause i only have one character on a pvp server and i don't play that one often.

with the all in one box you will ahve access to all  5 starterareas depending on your home city you will start in Good island(Qeynos), Evil Island(Freeport), Greater Faydark(Kelethin), Darklight Woods(Neriak) or Timorous Deep(Gorowyn).  Not all races can start everywhere, and good/evil allignement of the city determines if good or evil classes can start there.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Seriously, this game is not meant for PvP by any means. The devs have stated before that they have no intention of ruining the PvE game for the PvP and so far they have lived up to that promise (here's crossing the fingers and hoping that they continue to live up to it).

Though they may have changed it slightly, I don't see them giving into the PvP'rs demands.

If PvP is what you're looking for, EQ2 isn't the place for it.

• quaikyquaiky Member Posts: 566

Originally posted by Moirae

Seriously, this game is not meant for PvP by any means. The devs have stated before that they have no intention of ruining the PvE game for the PvP and so far they have lived up to that promise (here's crossing the fingers and hoping that they continue to live up to it).
    Though they may have changed it slightly, I don't see them giving into the PvP'rs demands.
    If PvP is what you're looking for, EQ2 isn't the place for it.
    the good thing in eq2 is that the same spell /comabt art/item could do 2 completely different things in pve/pvp so they don't have to change something in pve to change it in pvp.

the game was not created with pvp in mind form begin, they added a faction based pvp on top of the pve game. its probably not the worst implementation of pvp, but its for sure not the best pvp game out there.

• adders666adders666 Member Posts: 259

i dont understand why people knock the pvp in EQ2, sure its not pvp game of the year or anything, but imho most skills that a character has is usable in PVP and its a good fast frantic battle system so twitchers should be right at home with the pvp in EQ2, tank classes are even usable in pvp how they are in pve, they can taunt a mage off the healer long enough for the healer to get themselves well again ect. the thing most people have problems with on pvp servers are people twinking and turning off their combat xp to stay and grief people, fair enough u get that in most pvp enabled MMOs and there is nothing to be done about that really, but in my humble opinion the game is very well balanced for pvp, so to answer the OP's first question no i dont think the box is misleading and if you do roll on a pvp server, as long as you can handle leveling past griefers then you should have a very good time indeed

good luck

• MMORPDEATHMMORPDEATH Member Posts: 414

I just have a problem playing an mmo without any pvp goal. EQ2 has some darn good pve and immersion(though the lore is spotty and weak) RELATIVE to other mmo's, but to say that the pve is FUN compared to say a co-op Quake pve  level is a bit much. PVE in mmo's is generally a loot-oriented repetitive grindfest.

I though the pvp was great until I realized that you have to reduce leveling to a quest xp-only CRAWL to compete in it. Nagafen is the most populated server though IMO.

Not to hijack the thread, but can you guys convince me that its worth playing EQ2 again, because I REALLY want to get the expansion.

Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

See, I can't imagine playing an MMO where the whole point is just to kill the other guy playing opposite you. There are things psychologists could say about that mind set.

The whole point of MMO's is for you to be the hero. Its for you to feel like you are in epic storylines and making a name for yourself, not because you can kill the other guy the best, but because you accomplish great deeds. The whole point is to feel like you are like Aragorn in Lord of the Rings, or Harry in Harry Potter. That YOU are part of something great. PvP doesn't give that, it just feels like you're in the middle of a war.

If you want to play the new expansion, then play it. Its a very good expansion. Just don't expect there to be great PvP associated with it because there isn't. The expansion is about PvE. Play the story.

• Jeff44Jeff44 Member Posts: 459

Originally posted by MMORPDEATH

Not to hijack the thread, but can you guys convince me that its worth playing EQ2 again, because I REALLY want to get the expansion.

Buy the expansion... or don't.

Play the game... or don't.

Just don't expect the current crop of players to mislead others by claiming that this is a good PVP game just because you want to "kill" others online.

It is, in my opinion, the best fantasy MMORPG currently on the market. But if you want an environment to compete against other gamers by "killing" them, there are much better choices out there.

user
  • LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

If you want to play a great fantasy pve mmo then play EQ2. If you want to gank and kill people and laugh at their rotting corpse then there are tons of other games out there like WoW. If you want serious competitve group oriented pvp mmo then play Fury.

• xcaliburxcalibur Member Posts: 571

The box says balanced play experience and lists pvp, raids, crafting, etc.  It's just saying that there's something to do for everyone...not that all aspects are balanced.