Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What makes LOTRO different?

13»

Comments

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Noting quite relaxes me like sitting on the edge of the midgewater after collecting neekereyes like playing on my harp... Yeah I know odd choice of instruments lol. I dont seem to be alone either. People just like being able to unwind.

• QuinguQuingu Member Posts: 400

Originally posted by Loverboy85

the music thing was done along time ago in star wars galaxies with the entertainer class..
    and monster play too in everquest 1.

music was done by turbine on ac2 before swg.

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431
    Originally posted by sandage

Originally posted by openedge1

Well if you want that , i dont understand why you started playing Lord of the Rings Online, The devs said thay would go the Safe route and it was clearly advertised as beinig a traditinal mmo, whit casual gameplay and nothing groudbreaking.
    Honestly if you don't like the game then don't play it...
    That is correct. Reason why it has nothing "Different" as you have stated...

You first say all of the items noted in your post are "different"...yet in the above post, you say it has nothing "ground breaking"...so, I am confused...which is it.

I don't know how many braincells you have , but a game can be diffrent whitout beinig groundbreaking.

As i posted before, but im getting used to that your not a good reader.

Wow... sad signature.

And i'm wondering where you got you 800K... It's actually 300k as of oct 07

eqnext.wikia.com

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923
    Originally posted by matraque

Well if you want that , i dont understand why you started playing Lord of the Rings Online, The devs said thay would go the Safe route and it was clearly advertised as beinig a traditinal mmo, whit casual gameplay and nothing groudbreaking.

You first say all of the items noted in your post are "different"...yet in the above post, you say it has nothing "ground breaking"...so, I am confused...which is it.

I don't know how many braincells you have , but a game can be diffrent whitout beinig groundbreaking.

Wow... sad signature.

im not gonna turn this into another Subscription war but atleast he has a graph to show the 800k can u prove there is only 300k as of oct 07? Not bashing u i just hate how ppl like to say that some 1 is wrong but then have no actual proof that hey are right them selves.

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431
    Originally posted by charlizd

Originally posted by matraque

Wow... sad signature.

im not gonna turn this into another Subscription war but atleast he has a graph to show the 800k can u prove there is only 300k as of oct 07? Not bashing u i just hate how ppl like to say that some 1 is wrong but then have no actual proof that hey are right them selves.

Yeah, i used the website he linked.  Just take a look.

http://mmogdata.voig.com/ --> subscription and only show LOTRO.

eqnext.wikia.com

• AckbarNLAckbarNL Member Posts: 458

Mmm seems like thay chamged the subscritption thay same day i putt this up lol, well we got proof now it seem like that website dont know anything and just gessing, but its still the most acurate website...cuz there is nothing els, ah well at least its fits better now.

Playing: World of Warcraft.
    Played: Lord of the Rings Online, Starwars Galaxies.
    Tried: Starwars the Old Republic, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, Vanguard, Age of Conan, Aion.

• Dave08Dave08 Member UncommonPosts: 67

Originally posted by solareus

Originally posted by Ngeldu5t

Besides being stable and having the LOTR name....nothing different. 
    Maybe you could actually try the game , and if you did try the game what was the highest level you achieved and what was some of the areas you ventured in ?  What are some of the Traits you obtained through your deed book ?

Curious what other mmo has a Deed system ? Conjunction System ? Epic Story line ?

Final Fantasy had skillchains long before the conjunction system, and it's considerably more complex than everyone hitting a color.

The mission lines are epic stories, and there are many more storylines in ffxi than lotr. 

Instead of grinding mobs for deeds, you grind mobs to skillup (sword, dagger, bow, xbow etc).  As your skills grow, you gain access to special skills called weaponskills.   Then there are even more special skills that can be quested at the highest levels available to the jobs that can access them.  Much more involved and better planned than the deed system.

Won't even get into the special instanced BCNMs that you can do, assaults, dynamis, besieged, campaigns, etc. 

Is ffxi for everyone?  Nope.  It takes a lot of time and effort, though it is getting a bit more forgiving in recent updates.   It is very rewarding and deep, but in no way easy.   For grouping with friends, there isn't a better game, imo.  

Nothing wrong with LOTR aside from boredom after 50, but it's hardly groundbreaking.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Originally posted by Darth_Pete

Originally posted by Vato26

To reply to your replies:

We all have our preferences.  Personally, I despised WoW and EQ2's quests as they were basically handed to you on a plate (a lot had waypoints to specific objective of the quest).  I find that LoTRO quests do not have that silver-spoon mentality.  You aren't given a waypoint, therefore, sometimes you have to actually read the quest and figure where your objective is.  And, at least the first time I've done the quests, it's more adventurous rather than "follow the waypoint to these coordinates".  Also, if you read the quests, the characters are given more of a story feel rather than a quick overview of the objectives... which is one of the many things I hated in WoW. Ok hold on here.. last time I played WoW there was no waypoints given for the quests. I always had to read the quest texts to find the objective. SWG had the waypoint thing
    As I said, everyone will have their opinion.  I find that the crafting system is not dumbed down as you need to sometimes attain materials from other crafts to complete your crafts.  That allows an inter-mingled system, which makes it more interesting.  There's not a whole lot of vocations that are totally self sufficient in LoTRO.  Personally, as I said, I view this system with more potential that WoW's system ever had. OK, I wont argue with this one.. some like, some dont ;)
    I haven't experienced the "endgame" yet, therefore I cannot comment on that aspect.  However, the whole premise of this game is low-fantasy... as in, not trying to attain god-hood like what it seems like in WoW and EQ2 with each expansion.  Therefore, adding small boosts to improve your character is more appropriate in a low-fantasy setting.  Also, a lot of the traits, specifically the legendary and class-based ones, enhance your skill, thus giving you an enhanced version. What class are you playing ? If its champion or hunter don't expect enchanced skills ;)

The thing I hate about LOTRO is excatly that... the characters feel weak and you have to wrestle with badgers for minutes to win hehe

Kind of true, though I never had much of a problem with my Guardian. However, since the traits affect so little, there is no way to differentiate my Guardian from the other Guardians on the server. True, I can use gear to stand out, but put me up against another Guardian with similar gear and there is virtually no difference between us. I like the option of developing my character how I want, for good or bad, and LotR just doesn't allow me to do that. At least with EQ2 my achievements can differentiate me greatly depending on the paths I take. WoW not so much - I can either really gimp myself or follow a cookie cutter build, but at least there's usually 3 builds to choose from. LotR offers no variety in their class builds, and that's what ultimately turned me off to the game.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

although I didn't read everything, I have to say that the person who said that the quests had good storylines to them is a bunch of BS. The quests in this game were cheesy to the max, like most MMOs

sorry but metal gear hobbit pie delivery missions are the lamest things I have ever done in a game

• Shard101Shard101 Member Posts: 479

a decent storyline is all this MMO has to offer. Besides that there is nothing groundbreaking and it seriously lacks in all other fields.

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

This game isn't for everyone.  As evidenced by many opinions in this thread many folks simply will not "get it."   If you do get it, it's a fantastic game.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• Eol-Eol- Member UncommonPosts: 274

LotRO has a lot of things going for it: graphics, storyline, immersive quests, realistic feel, etc etc. It is NOT a game for very hardcore players or for PvP players, although there are some of those they are a smaller minority than in many games. So dont be surprised if a lot of people on mmorpg.com dont like it, its just not aimed at that crowd. Which is actually an advantage for Turbine because it will not lose as many players to the new PvP games coming out (WAR, Conan) as it might have if they had focused on PvP. Just the opposite, it provides a home for casual players who arent so PvP-oriented, and will be around a long time because of that.

Elladan - ESO (AD)
    Camring - SWTOR (Ebon Hawk)
    Eol & Justinian - Rift (Faeblight)
    Ceol and Duri - LotRO (Landroval)
    Kili - WoW
    Eol - Lineage 2
    Camring - SWG
    Justinian (Nimue), Camring - DAoC

• Eol-Eol- Member UncommonPosts: 274

Originally posted by Asamof

although I didn't read everything, I have to say that the person who said that the quests had good storylines to them is a bunch of BS. The quests in this game were cheesy to the max, like most MMOs
    sorry but metal gear hobbit pie delivery missions are the lamest things I have ever done in a game

^^^^ not Turbine's target demographic for LotRO ^^^^^

For people who enjoy Tolkien's middle-earth, I have heard quite a few talk about how much they liked the shire and the 'quaint' hobbit quests.

By the way, it must have sucked when Turbine took out the gun and put it to your head and made you finish those pie-delivery quests you didnt like. LOL. I am going to go way out on a limb and suggest that maybe combat quests would have been more up your alley. ;)

Seriously, the quests in LotRO are by far the best of any mmorpg i have ever played. By far. They are WAY more immersive than any other game, and really pull you into the storyline and make you feel a part of the world. Now, if thats not what you like in a game and are just focused on the loot and the XP, well then to people like that, LotRO probably do seem like any other game because you are barely reading the quests much less trying to enjoy them. But thats really not a problem with the game, its more of a mismatch between what some players like and what LotRO offers. But for people who enjoy the storyline and immersive world/quests, LotRO offers something no other game offers.

Elladan - ESO (AD)
    Camring - SWTOR (Ebon Hawk)
    Eol & Justinian - Rift (Faeblight)
    Ceol and Duri - LotRO (Landroval)
    Kili - WoW
    Eol - Lineage 2
    Camring - SWG
    Justinian (Nimue), Camring - DAoC

• ByromByrom Member Posts: 236

I want to take this good oportunity, and say that all in all, I do like this game. There are things I wish were different, but, they are the same things, basically, that I wish were different about the 26 MMORPGS, I have played. Im no expert, dispite all the games Ive played, in fact Im really not a smart person at all, with virtual, electronic, or even slightly complicated, things, of any kind.

Having said, the previous, I like this game, because I have found a higher number of nice people in this game than any of the others. If it werent for them, to me, the game would be nearly unplayable, as were most of the other games I played.

But it seems that almost every day someone helps me alot. I never ask for the help, because Im too much of a loner to ask. They just offer, and its a good thing.

I dont love the game. I hope I never love a game, or object of any kind, ever. But I do like it, and I thank the community for that.

People may have found this experience, I describe, in other games, and thats a good thing. I found it here, and Im glad. Even tho I think all Games Devs  have their heads up their butts, haha, seriously, they do. But, even a game, of tic tac toe, is only as fun as the people playing it.

• TearsnsorrowTearsnsorrow Member Posts: 48

What I found different about LOTRO was:-

1. It didn't hold my interest x5

Cancelled before they got more of my cash.

*Awaiting incomming abuse, but that's my opinion.

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Originally posted by Tearsnsorrow

Won't be getting any abuse from me.

I'm not sure where the mind-set came from that all gamers have to like every game?  It's perfectly natural that some of us are going to like some games better than others.  In fact, there may be games that we downright can't stand.  That's perfectly fine.

Where the rub comes in, is when people continually harp, (troll, make fun of, etc.) on forums about all the things that they didn't like about said game.  Or, even worse; they call the gamers that do like said game a bunch of losers for liking the game.

That's where flame-wars usually start.  There is no reason anyone should get upset about a gamer stating an honest opinion of a game that is on topic.  Now if that opinion is spammed all over every thread, and new threads started in the forums every day to re-hash those opinions.  Well, that's usually where the troll status comes in. 

All any game can ask of a gamer is a fair trial.  Then, it's wholly up to the gamer themselves if they find the game fun or not.  Afterall, nobody is going to want other gamers to play something that isn't fun for them.  That's why it's a good thing that there are quite a few games to choose from over there on the left-side.  Plus new ones are coming out all the time for those that haven't found one that fits them yet. 

• ByromByrom Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by Tearsnsorrow

There was a time I actually felt much the same about this game. Maybe even more so. Somehow that changed, for me. I think you have a valid opinion, and an intelligent, Post. I also think it would be alot of fun to fellowship, and quest with you. We may never meet in this game, but perhaps, another. Have fun and take care.

• Dave08Dave08 Member UncommonPosts: 67

Originally posted by Eol-

Originally posted by Asamof

^^^^ not Turbine's target demographic for LotRO ^^^^^

For people who enjoy Tolkien's middle-earth, I have heard quite a few talk about how much they liked the shire and the 'quaint' hobbit quests.

By the way, it must have sucked when Turbine took out the gun and put it to your head and made you finish those pie-delivery quests you didnt like. LOL. I am going to go way out on a limb and suggest that maybe combat quests would have been more up your alley. ;)

Seriously, the quests in LotRO are by far the best of any mmorpg i have ever played. By far. They are WAY more immersive than any other game, and really pull you into the storyline and make you feel a part of the world. Now, if thats not what you like in a game and are just focused on the loot and the XP, well then to people like that, LotRO probably do seem like any other game because you are barely reading the quests much less trying to enjoy them. But thats really not a problem with the game, its more of a mismatch between what some players like and what LotRO offers. But for people who enjoy the storyline and immersive world/quests, LotRO offers something no other game offers.

I love storyline and questing.  I play for that and crafting, not loot or grinding exp.  There were some quests that really did hold my attention.  Every time I did the hume epic quest, I felt for Amdir and wanted the outcome to change.  I enjoyed alot of the Evendim quests, particularly Tomb of E.  Fornost was fun.  Several of the book chapters were excellent.  The rift was interesting till the bugginess made it so frustrating it just stopped being worth the effort.  

But most of the quests are the same old kill 20 boar quests, run all over the map type of quests.   The hobbit pie and postman quests were very cute originally, but repeating them over and over ad nauseum was mindnumbingly tedious.    The 'good' quests don't overshadow all the obvious time sink quests that attempt to hide lack of true content.   If a game has 1000 quests, but 950 of them are kill 20 orcs for shields, kill 10 wights for skulls, kill 600 salamanders for a trait, lay 400 traps for a trait that doesn't even work, it does not make it a great game for people who love questing.

I started playing in beta.  I got nine friends to join me over time since it went live.  We had a very good time together for a few months, but eight of the nine left before I did.   One friend still plays, albeit he travels alot and has never been on regularly.     

The world is beautiful.   Some of the quests are very well done.   However, at present, the game lacks real depth to me.  The word that comes to mind is shallow.   Makes me think of the housing.   It's a glossy thin half-done shell for appearances sake with no real home warmth, no soul, no heart.  Hopefully, it will grow with time.   Right now, it does not satisfy the quester in me.   I got to 50 and had no desire whatsoever to repeat the content again.    

edit - I should add, I didn't only play one class or one race.  I played all 5 slots, even deleting a champ to try a burg, so I played all classes except guardian, and played all races, all racial starting areas.   My hunter was 50, minstrel 46, lore in the 30s, cap and burg in the 20s.  I am an explorer type by nature, and I did explore all areas except for the recently added Goblin Town, which I visited, but did not really get into.