Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Remember when everyone was hyping the game?

Before Vanguard's launch, do you guys remember how much people were hyping the game months, even a year before its release? Most came from the EverQuest fanbase who were looking for that same classic EQ feel in a totally new game. Honestly I don't think I've EVER anticipated a game so much before. Everything from the guild cities, flying mounts, ship building, beautiful world, the game looked to be an instant hit. However, after beta and the poor launch, we all know how the game turned out.

The poor performance, poor art design (imo), lack of content, and weak diplomacy system led to the games downfall. Do you all remember hyping this game, ever so anticipating its release? I know I did.

Comments

• PhosPhos Member Posts: 455

I'm embarassed to say I was a fanboi before the release. I got a VG forum account when they were in development and I believed all the hype about how great they said their game was going to be.

But at least I was honest with myself when I actually played the game for the first time.

It's funny, I posted a game review on MMORPG.com and got FLAMED for pages and pages for it. But when I pull up that old thread, I'm proud of myself for the honest review I posted. I was one of the first voices of reason and I was ridiculed for it!

- Phos

imageAAH! A troll fire! Quick, pour some Kool-Aid on it!!!

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

heh.  i remember all the hype.  i saw the features they were offering (the ships and mounts) and then saw that it was made by the EQ people and my interest skyrocketed down.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• ThelrinThelrin Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by Death1942

heh.  i remember all the hype.  i saw the features they were offering (the ships and mounts) and then saw that it was made by the EQ people and my interest skyrocketed down.

What exactly didn't you like about EQ so much? Most people had the exact opposite impression when they found out that some of the old EQ dev's would be working on it.

• ThreadKillerThreadKiller Member Posts: 69

I think it was pretty natural to hype the game before release (if you were a fan of EQ, which I never played) or a fan of its development team, or read pre-release goals for the game, you would want the game to be good. If they would have achieved at least half of what was hyped, with fewer bugs at release it would have done much better. With that said, if you believe even half of what was said about the man behind the game, and the way he ran the company, it is easy to understand why if failed.  It is a beautiful landscape, with some interesting concepts, that fell very, very, very short of the mark.

I played during beta, played for a short time, but realized that it was not getting better after release. I have a station pass, and I occasionally log it to see if it's improved enough to try again.....it hasn't for me. It is better, just not good enough for me yet. I would still like to see eventually be playable, with a relaunch that leads to an increase of players.....but I don't know if that will be possible.

Of course, if you believe that SOE is the evil empire, just ignore this post.

• swede2swede2 Member Posts: 975

if you dont like the game than move on , myself i never had i problem with preformance. Mind you i upgraded just before it came out , ive played the game on max settings at 1920x1200 every sence the first day  And because of my play style i wasnt effected by that many bugs no more than any game ive ever played

And another thing am not the type that races to max level so even now i havent touched even 1/4 of the content , so why would i care if end game was finished . I had lots of other things to do like making money and buying a boat and a house  and a few of the many mounts

Every game that comes out is hyped up than fails to deliver what they promised nothing new there

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

Vg not only failed to deliver what it hyped it failed to deliver what it  advertised and printed ON THE BOX. In some circles that sort of thing is called fraud and bait and switch. No wonder Brad McQuaid ditched this game so fast and took SOE's money and ran.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561

Overhyping was Vanguard's biggest enemy then and it still is now. All the fanaticism I've ever seen and still see to this day towards the game are based on the thoughts "I'm tired of every other MMO", or "Vanguard has potential".

Well hating other games like WoW and LOTRO doesn't do anything to improve Vanguard. All that train of thought ever did was bring in players who felt their disdain would somehow make Vanguard a magical experience.

Worse are the ones who played the game based on "potential", be it those that bought McQuaid's seven years of planned content gimmick or Thom's new list.

The most vocal and diehard of Vanguard fans never really judged the game for what it was. Instead they've always instigated derogatory behavior towards other MMOs and force-fed what Vanguard could "potentially" be without any specific dates or even ballpark timeframes.

The overhyping has died down a lot of course, the "Vision" cult is pretty much dead. What exists now are just the few who expect some tremendous turn around in Vanguard popularity when a "re-launch" happens.

Unlike before though, when McQuaid pretty much championed challenge and difficulty (i.e. unintuitive, grind saturated timesinks), making disparaging remarks against other MMOs, pitching Vanguard's potential over in-game substance, and in general cultivating his cult...at least the new guy Thom recognizes a need of conforming to MMO conventions set by WoW and other second-gen MMOs that the other 99% of the MMO market expects before even considering subscribing to an MMO.

Anyway, things aren't as bad anymore. Mainly because SOE isn't over-promising stuff. Much of the overhype that still lingers is from Sigil's era.

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    Originally posted by Thelrin

Before Vanguard's launch, do you guys remember how much people were hyping the game months, even a year after its release? Most came from the EverQuest fanbase who were looking for that same classic EQ feel in a totally new game. Honestly I don't think I've EVER anticipated a game so much before. Everything from the guild cities, flying mounts, ship building, beautiful world, the game looked to be an instant hit. However, after beta and the poor launch, we all know how the game turned out.
    The poor performance, poor art design (imo), lack of content, and weak diplomacy system led to the games downfall. Do you all remember hyping this game, ever so anticipating its release? I know I did.

A year after release eh? All I remember is all the anti hype. It's still going strong, even a year after release, when we all know the launch failed, but thanks for the reminder.

• ThelrinThelrin Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by rounner

Before Vanguard's launch, do you guys remember how much people were hyping the game months, even a year after its release? Most came from the EverQuest fanbase who were looking for that same classic EQ feel in a totally new game. Honestly I don't think I've EVER anticipated a game so much before. Everything from the guild cities, flying mounts, ship building, beautiful world, the game looked to be an instant hit. However, after beta and the poor launch, we all know how the game turned out.

A year after release eh? All I remember is all the anti hype. It's still going strong, even a year after release, when we all know the launch failed, but thanks for the reminder.

I meant a year before its release. My bad; human error.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

I don't actually believe that the hype was a bad thing.  Its good to be excited about an upcoming game.  Personally.. I like to play game.  So to be honest I would like every game released to be fun, exciting.. and well just worth buying.

That's why I don't understand a lot of the forum wars over a game being better/worse.  If you really love games.. you should want them all to be great.

Anyway...

What I mostly remember was when I think it was on the FoH boards.. there were some NDA breakers.  They said some pretty bad things.. were flamed off... we were told how great things "actually" were.

Well I got into beta I think about halfway between phase 2 and what they called 2.5.

It was kinda fun.. then they patched.. and I really had to say every beta leak that had been copied over here and was negative.. was pretty accurate.

I actually still have some quotes from Sigil people flaming the beta testers for "giving the wrong feedback"... To bad Silius or however, he spells it.. actually got to keep his job.  That guy had some nice flame enriched feedback for testers that pointed out the stink rising from that tu**.

I think the biggest turn off to me was...  When they did that magazine promotion for beta.  I personally didn't care they were doing it.  I've been in so many betas and for the most part its just no big deal to me.

However, the text for that campaign said to the letter... "you will be at the front of the line"

aka you were supposed to buy the magazine.. it gave you a code.. you activated it on your account.  There was at least 3 places that said... you would have "no waiting" be "at the front of the line" etc etc

Then of course people bought the magazine... and were at the back of the line with a lot of waiting.

Brad came into and flamed the crap out of one guy.. this was on the public (non beta) forums.  About calling the magazine people liars.. and how he didn't want people like "this poster" in his community.

Well I'm sorry but that wasn't bad wording on the text.. it was a  point blank lie to get people to buy that pos magazine..  Oh the next part was when the guy said he'd worked for the magazine for over a decade.  Well I forget the name of the magazine now.. but when I worked there it was called... Computer Games Strategy Plus.  It was originally published in the UK and the company I worked for bought it... Needless to say I had never heard of this guy.. who worked there when I did (we had 4 people in that office..).

So between what I saw in beta.. and how brad and the devs in general acted.. the hype was over for me... Looooong before release.

****note****

I actually play Vanguard now and then.  My GF got me to join a raiding guild in EQ2... when to make this short.  When I play a class in Vanguard it feels like something from EQ2 but before 100 or more nerfs were added to the class.

err I actually find the classes fun... (yay for station access.. I guess)

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I was so stoked prior to release. Then I got into beta and it was pretty bad, but still I was way hopeful.

Then it released. I stuck it out for a month or so after release but couldn't force myself to log in anymore near the end.

I just came back and played for the past week. I actually started to have fun and can run the game now on Balanced/High settings and play very smoothly. I was having fun for a bit but it ran out pretty fast unfortunately (for me) over the last couple of days.

Maybe I will stop back in another 3 - 6 months and see where it's at.

/salute

• logangregorlogangregor Member Posts: 1,524

Originally posted by swede2
    if you dont like the game than move on , myself i never had i problem with preformance. Mind you i upgraded just before it came out , ive played the game on max settings at 1920x1200 every sence the first day And because of my play style i wasnt effected by that many bugs no more than any game ive ever played

wait wait wait...

This is funny...

Let me sum up what he just said, I upgraded my pc BUT BECAUSE OF MY "PLAYSTYLE" I WASNT AFFECTED BY THAT MANY BUGS

Your playstyle is overpowered!!
    NERF SWEDES PLAYSTYLE

• truenorthbgtruenorthbg Member Posts: 1,453

Before Vanguard's launch, do you guys remember how much people were hyping the game months, even a year before its release? Most came from the EverQuest fanbase who were looking for that same classic EQ feel in a totally new game. Honestly I don't think I've EVER anticipated a game so much before. Everything from the guild cities, flying mounts, ship building, beautiful world, the game looked to be an instant hit. However, after beta and the poor launch, we all know how the game turned out.

I think all games receive some hype prior to release (see, e.g., WAR). 

I remember my former guild leader on Tribunal server, who was my Raid Officer of my Guild on Sleeper, was aggressively hyping this game and trying to recruit people from EQ 1 to join his guild.  I actually warned him about the hype and thought the lack of information leaking about the game indicated bad things.   It was pure speculation, though.

When I played in BETA, very casually, I thought the game was great (still do, its concepts) but honestly believed that performance, bugs, and so forth would improve at release.  [I have a friend in WAR Beta, and I do not think the game is for me in terms of what interests me.]

-----
    WoW and fast food = commercial successes.
    I neither play WoW nor eat fast food.

• eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984

Do you all remember hyping this game, ever so anticipating its release? I know I did.
    I didnt. The old forum was full of tards and i gave a bleep about their hype. And the game was full of tards after release. Still the featurelist and screenshots where promising

Since i never cared for the hype i actually can say the game was almost worth it. If it would have had a levelcap at 30 and if they would have not listened to the eq1 sado/maso tards. I am sorry. I usually never bash players. But what i have seen there in the first 3 months was the worst ever. Almost traumatic... It was sad to see how Sigil failed to ban those who really ruined the game, because he didnt completey bow to them and didnt create THEIR game.

After all it was ok for me to meet those freaks. I learned something. I see them now slowly creeping into EQ2. Nice and friendly and sooo carebaer. Still the same suckers with the same attitute.

I started playing with the lowest expectations possible and it was a good game. It had the potential for a real big epic mmo. For the first 20 Levels at least. At that point the game was almost exactly how Mcquaid described it. From there the game went only downhill and nothing got finshed until today. A lot was fixed,  but finished was nothing and most probably never will. We will see. EQ2 is buzzing right now. Maybe VG will be back in 2-3 years. /shrugs

• swede2swede2 Member Posts: 975

Originally posted by logangregor

Originally posted by swede2

if you dont like the game than move on , myself i never had i problem with preformance. Mind you i upgraded just before it came out , ive played the game on max settings at 1920x1200 every sence the first day And because of my play style i wasnt effected by that many bugs no more than any game ive ever played

wait wait wait...

This is funny...

Let me sum up what he just said, I upgraded my pc BUT BECAUSE OF MY "PLAYSTYLE" I WASNT AFFECTED BY THAT MANY BUGS

Your playstyle is overpowered!!

NERF SWEDES PLAYSTYLE

I never seen the bugs because the first thing i do any Mmo is figure out how to make gold than i grind it till i can play the game and buy whatever i want without hurting for gold , so i wasnt grouping alot and thats where alot of the bugs where

And i upgraded because i can afford to bro and it was time for me, had nothing to do with vanguard or any game. i could play it on my old machine , but am like most gamers if i dont have every setting maxed am not happy so i built a machine that will do that now and for any game coming out in next 2 years lol

Its going to be funny when Age of conan comes out  i know all be able to play it on max settings if i choose how about you people that hate vanguard and had bad preformance think you will be able to without upgrading Ya thats what i thought

And as far as hype goes i dont care what you or other people or even what the people making the game  say when i want to try a game i do if i like it i stay playing if i dont i move on , pretty simple