Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not for me!

It is to questyish and doesn't feel like I am actualy different than anyone else playing char wise.

Believe it or not, Gear matters!   It is one of the things that  makes someone feel unique in a MMO.

I believe also, this is where WAR will fail too.

In that I mean, I am the same as everyone else in my class race. Not enough variation in the way you can spec and look beyond some dyes..

There are Chinese Item mall MMO's that have more skill customization than this LOTR does.

I do not like WoW or EQ2 but, they both have more to offer a player than this does.

Comments

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

you realise that you can get crafted items and what not that add individuality to your character. I have yet to see another Guardian in my level range with anything even resembling my set-up, or appearance in general.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

you realise that you can get crafted items and what not that add individuality to your character. I have yet to see another Guardian in my level range with anything even resembling my set-up, or appearance in general.
    Not to mention dyes :)

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• WrymstrumWrymstrum Member Posts: 196

Right now there really isn't too much differentiation in how you can spec the different classes, but I would like to point out a couple of things.

1)  I think this will change as the game progresses.  Because of the way traits work they are more flexible than a skill/talent tree.  Turbine can easily add new traits or even new types of traits without a complete overhaul of the class.  I think their plan is more one of continual development rather than making you wait 2 years for new skills, talents, traits, or whatever you want to call them. 

2)  Class specialization is often a double edged sword.  It was very frustrating in WOW to enjoy playing an elemental shaman but to have to spec for healing to get into raids.  It was the same thing with getting warriors to spec for protection.  The more specialized you get, the more limited you become. 

~~~ Currently Playing ~~~
    LOTRO- Guardian Wrymstrum & Lore-master Stabler on Nimrodel.

Conan- Zoltar <Angels of Death> Guardian on Stormrage.

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Not to mention they plan to allow people to collect Stat sets and transfer them to there favorite armours. Essentially letting you pick and choice what your armour sets look like. That pretty much ends the static armour issues.

• korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616

Can't say as I'm having that problem. Never really seen anyone that looks exactly like my characters. But then again, I usually go out of my way to tweak my looks (fantastic in LOTRO with the dyes and stuff), even to the point of having lesser stats. Just to be a little different.

With LOTRO (in my experience thus far), the stat changes in traits are quite small percentages, and generally fractions of percentages, so either way, those little choices you make with regards to how you buff your stats are of less importance. The changes are less sweeping. Maybe that will change in the future.

But don't forget, they added over 400 new recipes in the last content patch..can't really complain about lack of variety in looks. :)

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Another thing to remember is that the devs are planning for the future.  Part of the reason a lot of the traits and even some of the gear doesn't seem like it has as much of an impact as in games like WoW or EQ2 is because of the age of the MMO.

You can't expect to get the same type of stat increases with traits/skills or gear in a game that is going on 9 months old as a game that is going on 3+ years old.  If they did that, then what kind of increases do you expect when the level cap is 70+?

That is the reason that right now you see traits and gear that give fractional increases.  Like .3% to Power regen, or .7% to Morale/Health regen, or 1%to  Evade, or 1% to Parry.  That way they can make larger increases down the line as the game matures and the Level Cap increases.

You can't expect to get 5-10% increases in your stats or in gear right off the bat.  Otherwise in 2-3 years they would have to be handing out traits or gear that gave 25-50% increases.  That would be just nuts! 

• ByromByrom Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by Techleo

Not to mention they plan to allow people to collect Stat sets and transfer them to there favorite armours. Essentially letting you pick and choice what your armour sets look like. That pretty much ends the static armour issues.

Oh wow, I had no Idea they were going to do that. Ive always wanted that. Far out, man.

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Originally posted by Byrom

Originally posted by Techleo

Oh wow, I had no Idea they were going to do that. Ive always wanted that. Far out, man.

Posted this in a different thread, but it will explain it more for you:

Here's a snippet from this link: lotro.tentonhammer.com/index.php

"The cosmetics revamp for Book 12 has been a hot topic for some time now. During the chat, we did receive a few answers on some of the new changes slated for Book 12. Keth mentioned Book 12 will have a barber shop that will allow players to change their hair styles, facial hair, or even add something like a scar or other facial features. He also mentioned this little service won't be free. Hair cut and a shave? Two bits?

To add an even deeper option to appearance the developers are adding a new "Outfit System." This new system will allow players to wear one set of armor, but have the appearance of another set while maintaining their stats. You could wear a set of Mirrored Elvish armor, but maybe you liked the old copper armor look better. Now you can have it and keep your stats too. Not enough cloths for you? Well fear not. Dresses and a variety of social clothing will be added with Book 12 to offer an even larger variety of appearances for your avatar. The combination of this new system and all the new cloths should make for a variety of appearances.

There are two catches to this new system. You can't appear to wear armor you normally couldn't wear. A Lore-master can't appear to have Mirrored Ancient Armour and the system is not active in the Ettenmoors. This should eliminate any pvp concerns since you can't hide what you have within the Ettens."

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742