Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what the difference between eq2 and vg?

esp. combat.

Comments

• ThelrinThelrin Member Posts: 10

I'd say VG caters more to the EQ crowd as evident by its combat system. EQ2 is a little less realistic and is more fast-paced with more "bling".

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Originally posted by Thelrin

I'd say VG caters more to the EQ crowd as evident by its combat system. EQ2 is a little less realistic and is more fast-paced with more "bling".

hmm I think you have no idea what you are talking about... eq is autoattack mode and a few special moves.  It is NOTHING like VG or EQ2... 

Other than combat, EQ2 is more polished with more quests and nice voice overs.  EQ2 is heavily instanced and travel is really just a teleport away. 

VG graphics are better and there are no instances.  The world is more natural in that there are no artifical boundries locking you into zones per say.  There are no instances and they are only now adding high lvl raid type content.  VG is still pretty unpolished and while performance and stability is pretty good now there is still room for improvement. 

VG has more complex crafting system.  VG has a diplomacy game.  VG has real housing, a variety of upgradable mounts, boats, and even flying mounts you can rent and willl soon be able to own.  I'd say VG has the potential and the foundation to be a great game.  But somewhat like eq2 it was launched too soon and lacks polish and until recently was soo buggy and laggy that you needed the top end gear to even play it.  The recent test patch of one of the laggy cities, Kahl, actually performs better for me on max settings now then the cite qeynos does on max settings.  So I'd say VG performance problems are close to being behind them.

At the current rate of development in VG I'd say it might be ready for a relaunch sometime in the April 2008 time frame.

---
    Ethion

Here is a copy of what I posted to the same topic in the VG forums.

VG combat is a bit more sophisticated then EQ2.  It has all the features of EQ2 combat but also has chain abilities, when you crit with an ability several chains become possible as followup abilities.  It also has reactive abilities that are possible when certain conditions occur during combat like you parry an attack.  It has defensive abilities that you can use on your defensive target like do a shield block preventing an attack from hitting them.  It has counterspelling where a caster can see what the spell the mob is casting and cast a quick counterspell to prevent the spell from going off.  This can be huge in certain fights.

The system also has combat differences for each class.  Some classes use mana for spells, some use endurance for combat arts, some use build up points like chi for monks.  Endurance is the gate on combat abilities not primarily cooldowns although abilities do have cooldowns most of them are very short so it is only gated by energy.  Blow through a bunch of normal attacks and you may not have enough energy to do a chain attack when the opportunity occurs.

VG combat just has more variables and is more entertaining.  Playing my rogue on VG is considerably more interesting then my swashbuckler in eq2.  In eq2 I'm basically running through my CA in a certain order and then waiting for them to ungray.  In VG I'm doing opening abilities, watching my energy, waiting for chains and reactive abilities and then deciding which one to use.  Positional stuff and things like stuns, etc are somewhat similar.  Both classes can stun mobs or force them to turn and do back attacks and stuff.  Just VG has all the extra factors that make you have to pay more attention and decide between various strategies and attacks.

Oh another thing is that the environment feels more like EQ then EQ2.  Meaning there are less mobs that are tied together.  Social agro is a bigger factor.  Mobs run.  Agro ranges seems a bit larger.  It is kinda hard to put my finger on about why it feels more eq like... 

---
    Ethion

• ThreadKillerThreadKiller Member Posts: 69

ethion,

nice reply, good analysis. I haven't played VG for awhile, but was on from Beta into the first few months...I have a quick question for you if you do any crafting.....do you still have to do a bunch of useless work orders (with few real object recipes) to level up?  I'm just interested if that has changed much in the past few months?

• ShadowChaserShadowChaser Member UncommonPosts: 25

You still have to do many workorders.  Only crafting xp is workorders, quests, first time you make an item.  They have changed the xp curve and added rest xp, so you level faster now.   To me, both are bad ideas from a crafting standpoint, because you now level faster and have less chance of gettting the dropped recipes.  Supposedly they'll be adding alternate ways of getting the dropped recipes for those who outlevel the chance to get the drops.  Meanwhile, its workorder grinding.

well, that sucks.....I actually enjoyed the mechanics of crafting, but would like to be able to generate real stuff (in addition to work orders) like eq2.

thanks for the info.

• BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701

Originally posted by Thelrin

He is right about VG being closer to EQ1 in combat.   The restrictions that EQ2 has on creative combat solutions is not found in VG or EQ1.   You can kite, reverse kite, mobs are not linked like they are in EQ2, so you can snipe/pull one mob if you are careful.   Also you don't lose your speed buff when in combat like you do in EQ2.    It feels like the "chains" are taken off in VG.  

And EQ2 has all these combat abilities and make you spam them all the time.   EQ2 combat sucks period.

The rational is to get away from typical market flooding making endless junk that totally devalues the market.  They wanted crafting to be a full game like adventuring.  This means that if you want to be a crafting you can go off and do crafting stuff and never need to adventure at all.  Work orders are analogus to killing mobs for the adventurer.  You need to do them to get drops and make money just like adventuring.  Now the problem is unlike adventuring there are very few crafting quests.  So think of crafting in it's current state as incomplete in the same way that adventuring would be incomplete if there were no quests. 

Unlike other games crafting is not an adjunct to adventuring which is why it is designed this way.  Doing work orders is an essencial part of being a crafter and unlike other games gives you equipment and money.

Crafting real items is something you do for adventurers intentionally to make an item and not to grind.  This keeps the markets from being flooded with countless numbers of tier x armors etc.  Take a look on the broker in eq2 for something like leather armor tier 5 and you might see 10-20 pages of armor.  Basically the crafting market is saturated with crafted items so the prices drop to the lowest the crafter can tollerate.

Another thing about VG crafting is that the actual items are far more customizable.  So premaking stuff isn't always a good idea since you will want to more make things to order.  ie am I going to make a pair of boots with str or dex or maybe something like stealth enhancements or fire resists... There are almost countless options in VG for each item.  Another thing about crafting in VG is that high lvl crafters are HUGELY in demand in many guilds and once you are in a guild the guild adventurers will pretty much cater to you for your every need.

All in all it is a good balance and it is nice to be able to craft without worrying about adventuring.  In EQ2 doing task orders is similar except I need to buy all my materials and the reward for doing them is seldom enough to cover the costs. 

One more thing about VG crafting some people hate is that it is much more of a game.  You won't be hitting mindless buttons or just clikcing the icon that matches what pops up.  You have to constantly fight to overcome complications and finish the item without loosing too much quality.  Making items is NOT an automatic A quality item every time.  You will find that even level recipes are a fight to make to B quality and just like adventuring your choices of gear, and skill allocations can make a big difference in your success.

---
    Ethion

yes I agree, the mechanics of crafting were enjoyable. The more I think about it, maybe it was the experience curve that bugged me most. I will have to re-evaluate it. How about the number of recipes? If my memory serves me, there were very few things you could actually make when the game was released? Is this still true? I appreciate you taking the time to answer (especially when I could log on and find out, over time,for myself when I got home). I guess I just remember doing an inordinate amount of crafting of non-real objects, versus real objects.

Originally posted by ThreadKiller

yes I agree, the mechanics of crafting were enjoyable. The more I think about it, maybe it was the experience curve that bugged me most. I will have to re-evaluate it. How about the number of recipes? If my memory serves me, there were very few things you could actually make when the game was released? Is this still true? I appreciate you taking the time to answer (especially when I could log on and find out, over time,for myself when I got home). I guess I just remember doing an inordinate amount of crafting of non-real objects, versus real objects.
    The number of recipes ramps up as you level up.  However what really increases the number and variety of things you can make are combining rares, sub components and varieties of dusts and orbs.  There are really a huge variety of things you can do with even one recipe.

But as you say you do all your leveling crafting work orders not real items.  Again that is by design. Real items are for adventurers and really secondary to a crafter.  A crafter is all about doing work orders to get money, crafting equipment, recipes, and rare ingredients.  Granted the XP curve and the drop rates for recipes are common themes of things that might need to be tweeked.

But reallistically you need to enjoy the crafting process to enjoy crafting...

---
    Ethion