Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which feature are you most excited about?

outlaw101outlaw101 Member Posts: 351

I've put together a select of features that stand out, pick which one you like most!

"Don't hold breath about another KOTOR game coming from Bioware" - Chris Preistly

"Bioware is more intrested in pursueing development of it's own Intellectual properties"

- James Henly

Comments

• Zaraki199Zaraki199 Member Posts: 101

2008 i bet my life on it

• outlaw101outlaw101 Member Posts: 351

I put cities and guilds because i love the aspect of guild wars and city sieges.

"Don't hold breath about another KOTOR game coming from Bioware" - Chris Preistly

"Bioware is more intrested in pursueing development of it's own Intellectual properties"

- James Henly

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

I voted all of it.

Its the full loot and full PvP that mekes all the other features work.

• CathalaodeCathalaode Member Posts: 281

Originally posted by Zaraki199

2008 i bet my life on it
    Those are words that I would use very sparingly. The future is indeterminable, and even if it weren't something as fickle as an MMO's development, let alone one with a notoriously shifting launch date as Darkfall, I wouldn't bet my life on it, unless it were already packed and on its way to the stores. I doubt that the dev team would even go that far.

I'm going to remember that you said this.

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

Originally posted by Cathalaode

Originally posted by Zaraki199

2008 i bet my life on it
    Those are words that I would use very sparingly. The future is indeterminable, and even if it weren't something as fickle as an MMO's development, let alone one with a notoriously shifting launch date as Darkfall, I wouldn't bet my life on it, unless it were already packed and on its way to the stores. I doubt that the dev team would even go that far.

I'm going to remember that you said this.

Iti will be hard to  pin him down on this. Because he is always getting banned, and

always comes back with new screen names. 

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

I voted cities and guilds.  To me, the PvP with full loot as the only ruleset is the one thing that will hold this game back from seeing it's full potential.  Once a publisher can convince them to have multiple ruleset servers, then I believe the sky is the limit for this game.

Every PvEers dream is to have a sandbox of their own where they can build and maintain their own cities.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

I voted all of it.  there are lots of MMORPGS that have some of these things. But nobody has been able to put them all in one game,.

• PhosPhos Member Posts: 455

For me it's a toss-up between Full PVP/Loot and No Instances.

However, there's something missing from your list: Houses that we can decorate and live in!

This game looks great, and I can't understand why every game since UO has been a LESSER version of it. UO is now 10 years old, and no game since then has had a set of rules and features as good. Is this progress?

I can't wait for Darkfall!!!

- Phos

imageAAH! A troll fire! Quick, pour some Kool-Aid on it!!!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I like many of the features of DF...but the open skill system is what most attracts me....will be fun creating a character that isn't forced to follow pre-designed skill trees....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

I like many of the features of DF...but the open skill system is what most attracts me....will be fun creating a character that isn't forced to follow pre-designed skill trees....
    The problem with an open skill system is that everyone quickly finds out which are the best skills. Then everyone takes those skills, so every character ends up the same

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by ghoul31

The problem with an open skill system is that everyone quickly finds out which are the best skills. Then everyone takes those skills, so every character ends up the same

Well, I play EVE and there really aren't any "best" skills, though I do agree its possible for a game to fall into this sort of trap.  Let's hope they design it so that +5 Broadsword isn't much better than +5 Great Axe.....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860

people really need to stop worrying about "being the same" as everyone else. In world of warcraft I want to know how a Protection spec Warrior is any different from the other 1 million+ Protection spec Warriors

What should matter is MY playstyle in which will be evident through twitch based gameplay. Any abilities my character has will merely be a TOOL, it won't define ME. why should it freaking matter if Player A uses a Hammer and Player B uses a Bow? What should matter is how I utilize these skills

This is something FPS gamers have understood for years. Just give us basic equipment and we will show you what makes us "unique"

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Originally posted by ghoul31

Well, ita a sandbox MMO.

So there will be the best skills for everything.

One set of skills is better for naval combat, another for urban combat and another for a cavalry character.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I voted for open skill system, because I love open skill systems.

In fact if Darkfall is ever released, and they offer a trial, I will try it just for the open skill system.

Originally posted by vajuras

people really need to stop worrying about "being the same" as everyone else. In world of warcraft I want to know how a Protection spec Warrior is any different from the other 1 million+ Protection spec Warriors
    What should matter is MY playstyle in which will be evident through twitch based gameplay. Any abilities my character has will merely be a TOOL, it won't define ME. why should it freaking matter if Player A uses a Hammer and Player B uses a Bow? What should matter is how I utilize these skills
    This is something FPS gamers have understood for years. Just give us basic equipment and we will show you what makes us "unique"

World of Warcraft - From the perspective of a former Protection Warrior.

Talent build - 25% Having the exact same talent build is only part of it. No "good tank" is anything but protection spec (in terms of warriors)

Gear - 25% WoW is an Everquest clone, gear matters. If I have 10,000 HP instead of 6,000 HP, I have more survivability and thus am a better tank.

Skill - 50% I'm talking about player skill. If you don't think player skill matters in WoW, you are plain wrong. You've never had a "good" tank and then pug'd with a "bad" tank. The difference is severe.

And yes, the 50% of skill is the most important of the three above. You can have the best talent build and gear and be a OK tank, but to be "good" you have to have skill. Fact.

Oh yeah, Vajuras my friend, I'm sorry to do this, but you are

*Edit* Now, you won't be able to get the best gear unless you have skill, you won't have skill unless you can make a good talent build, and you won't know how to make a good talent build unless you understand what gear you need (for tanking, mitigation vs. avoidance, etc)

• ryotianryotian Member Posts: 138

Originally posted by heerobya

Talent build - 25% Having the exact same talent build is only part of it. No "good tank" is anything but protection spec (in terms of warriors)

Gear - 25% WoW is an Everquest clone, gear matters. If I have 10,000 HP instead of 6,000 HP, I have more survivability and thus am a better tank.

Skill - 50% I'm talking about player skill. If you don't think player skill matters in WoW, you are plain wrong. You've never had a "good" tank and then pug'd with a "bad" tank. The difference is severe.

And yes, the 50% of skill is the most important of the three above. You can have the best talent build and gear and be a OK tank, but to be "good" you have to have skill. Fact.

*Edit* Now, you won't be able to get the best gear unless you have skill, you won't have skill unless you can make a good talent build, and you won't know how to make a good talent build unless you understand what gear you need (for tanking, mitigation vs. avoidance, etc)

I'm sorry but I think WoW is 99% gear and 1% player skill

Originally posted by ryotian

I'm sorry but you are wrong. If you are right, and really is 99% gear and 1% skill, then I could respec my old Protection Warrior to Arms or Fury, throw on my best tanking gear, and let YOU control my toon, and you'd be able to tank a 5-man heroic instance without a single death in your party or be the Main Tank in a 25 person raid.

Very, very doubtful.

• KOrnfan4evrKOrnfan4evr Member Posts: 334

I'm sorry but you are wrong. If you are right, and really is 99% gear and 1% skill, then I could respec my old Protection Warrior to Arms or Fury, throw on my best tanking gear, and let YOU control my toon, and you'd be able to tank a 5-man heroic instance without a single death in your party or be the Main Tank in a 25 person raid.

Very, very doubtful.

If player skill means being able to press 1, 2, 3, 4 over and over and being in a spot where someone can heal you.  Then you've got it sir.

WoW makes it so you odn tuse player skill, your reactions and what not will matter int hat game.  In wow its how many things you can target in x amount of minutes.  Sorry but WoW barely breaks away from the point and click games.

*EDIT*

And this is my favorite thing about darkfall, it will have everything that any other game included but then maximize its potential and then allow combat to actaully be just what its supposed to be.  Quick, brutal and actaully means something (Other than a gd number on a pinup board

My post was relevant I was replying to other posts discussing open skill systems leading to the 'same build'. I was pointing out in skill based games they integrate twitch (aim/dodge) this allows a player's skill to blend through. I was using World of Warcraft as an example I could have used any MMO. My point was players will always min/max anyway. What is this it takes skill to make the right build? Go on the forums and ask and you will learn to min/max quickly. Blizzard even let's ya post your build really easily on their forums its not hard to make a Talent spec and figure out what armor to use.

And no it does not take "skill" to acquire best gear in RPG. It takes "time" (you are a paying customer MMORPGs are rewarding you for your time investment). If it took skill to wield powerful weapons in common RPG that lacks item decay/looting then why is it I can go buy the stuff I need from a farmer and keep those items no matter how poorly I play? So then- items really dont mean much do they? They are just a symbol of your "time investment"

If it takes so much skill in WoW then tell me why an uber geared mage can run over a guy in Greens? sure, maybe the Mage knows what buttons to click but I question how much "skill" that takes? He merely learned patterns and memorize what to do. I promise you take two equally skilled people- give player A uber gear, give Player B greens- Player A will win 100% of the time

It's called "Tactical Transparency" which is what common Class based MMORPG is about. MMOs that integrate more player skill like what DFO proposes will remove a lot of this transparency

Originally posted by KOrnfan4evr

If player skill means being able to press 1, 2, 3, 4 over and over and being in a spot where someone can heal you.  Then you've got it sir.

WoW makes it so you odn tuse player skill, your reactions and what not will matter int hat game.  In wow its how many things you can target in x amount of minutes.  Sorry but WoW barely breaks away from the point and click games.

*EDIT*

And this is my favorite thing about darkfall, it will have everything that any other game included but then maximize its potential and then allow combat to actaully be just what its supposed to be.  Quick, brutal and actaully means something (Other than a gd number on a pinup board

You've obviously never tanked anything. If I just sat and spammed 1,2,3,4 I wouldn't be a good tank.

FPS combat is for FPS games.

A RPG is a game where you play a role, by it's basic definition.

So is Darkfall a MMO-RPG or a MMO-FPS?

It has elements of both. Don't get me wrong, I like FPS games and the fact that I win based off of my skill as a player. But I play real FPS games like Halo for that.

I play RPG games for character advancement, stat building, gearing up my toon etc.

My post was relevant I was replying to other posts discussing open skill systems leading to the 'same build'. I was pointing out in skill based games they integrate twitch (aim/dodge) this allows a player's skill to blend through. I was using World of Warcraft as an example I could have used any MMO. My point was players will always min/max anyway. What is this it takes skill to make the right build? Go on the forums and ask and you will learn to min/max quickly. Blizzard even let's ya post your build really easily on their forums its not hard to make a Talent spec and figure out what armor to use.
    And no it does not take "skill" to acquire best gear in RPG. It takes "time" (you are a paying customer MMORPGs are rewarding you for your time investment). If it took skill to wield powerful weapons in common RPG that lacks item decay/looting then why is it I can go buy the stuff I need from a farmer and keep those items no matter how poorly I play? So then- items really dont mean much do they? They are just a symbol of your "time investment"

If it takes so much skill in WoW then tell me why an uber geared mage can run over a guy in Greens? sure, maybe the Mage knows what buttons to click but I question how much "skill" that takes? He merely learned patterns and memorize what to do. I promise you take two equally skilled people- give player A uber gear, give Player B greens- Player A will win 100% of the time
    It's called "Tactical Transparency" which is what common Class based MMORPG is about. MMOs that integrate more player skill like what DFO proposes will remove a lot of this transparency

I agree with you about Tactical Transparency, and I do love skill based games, and by 'skill based' I mean like Oblivion where you choose the set of skills your character has, and they go up when you use them.

WoW is much more complex and deep then most give credit for, but you'd have to have played through months of end-game content to fully realize how important so many "little" things are.

FPS combat is simple, the person with the fastest reflexes and/or best aim will win. That, and probably 40% of it is the ability to control the situation through positioning and creating the most opportunities.

And anyone who has played Oblivion knows that the 'skill' in combat is knowing when to hit two different buttons, beyond that it's about character building and stats... and I don't think Darkfall will be any different.

It's NOT going to be as accurate, fast paced, and "twitch" based as a FPS game like Halo 3. It's just not possible in the MMO environment. Don't fool yourselves.

• KOrnfan4evrKOrnfan4evr Member Posts: 334

Originally posted by KOrnfan4evr

Very, very doubtful.

*EDIT*

You've obviously never tanked anything. If I just sat and spammed 1,2,3,4 I wouldn't be a good tank.

FPS combat is for FPS games.

A RPG is a game where you play a role, by it's basic definition.

So is Darkfall a MMO-RPG or a MMO-FPS?

It has elements of both. Don't get me wrong, I like FPS games and the fact that I win based off of my skill as a player. But I play real FPS games like Halo for that.

I play RPG games for character advancement, stat building, gearing up my toon etc.

Well obviously what is there to tanking.  You sit there, and take hits.  Thats the main purpose of a tank.  YOu get hit, you get healed you use stun moves and BAM your a tank!  The fact of hte matter is, WoW is just a game that took an idea from someone else *Cough* Mythic*cough* but used their name in order to sell massive amounts o games.  

Yes i commend blizzard for that and i think its great for them and i hope they use it to make actaul good games, like they used to (starcraft II is a good investment). 

Whether its twitch combat, semi twitch (WoW, Asheron's call) or point and click, it doesnt matter what style of combat there is, it just matters what the game revolves around. 

So really Darfakll is a  MMOFPRPG (Massive multiplayer online first person role playing game |  Technicaly third person but who cares).  You dont like the idea (anyone in general)?  So what.  Thats what it is, you can level up your character, do quests, grief people or hell become a merchant, leader anything.  If thats not roleplaying then I gues the majority of roleplaying is being set to do certain things at certain times that you have to wait till Lvl XX in order to go to certain places THAT YOU CANNOT EVEN EXPLORE because they are holding you back because of a level.

Im sorry to break this to you but Darkfall is created around PVP.  But thats not the only thing to do, if you thought that, your dead wrong.  The amount of things put into darkfall that you are able to do will make WoW players be like "Wow, you mean i couldve made a character that couldve done all that instead of making 16 characters spending $xxx to switch server and then having to do each of these things on a separate character and then wasting my time killing this same instanced boss to get X amount of items that were inadequate in a month just to find out I couldve done more than this is such a smaller amount of time w/o reaching the tip of the iceburge?!? *deep breath* ""

I mean if you like WoW, thats cool.  Thats super, but I and most of the people that speak against it dont, and its for reasons that I kinda summed up in the last paragraph (others have more and heir free to speak it.  I mean i know darkfall wont take every little player form WoW.  But the fact is that its going to be a more solid game that has alot more to offer, im tired of the linear game i want a sandbox (Pre-cu swg, asheron's call, planetside) that wont inhibit my wants to go anywhere i please (with only the danger of huge monsters to inhibit my movement) and become anything i want w/o having to make a different character every time i want to make or become something else.

Your tank will do nothing more than cause FF and be dropped in a matter of seconds because really in darkfall its not about the tanking, its about the damage and healing capabilities, the dev's said it best "Your going to die in darkfall, alot"

So have fun getting you're uber armor in WoW an di really do wish you the best of luck, but you do decide to check out darkfall we'll welcome you with Arms unsheathed.

1. MMOs have always had realtime combat see Asheron's Call 1 for example.
    2. Depends on FPS game in question how much "skill" is in question

my site appears to be down so I'll go from memory:

- Knowledge of Terrain is KEY, paramount to taking victory. I have seen small groups achieve victory by having knowledge of where to find cover, bottlenecks, etc.

- Friendly Fire. Every FPS gamer knows if you lob around Area of Effect without caution and notifying teammates you can massacre your own allies

- Dodging. Warriors die to Mages due to inability to Dodge. Meleers are a force in traditional FPS because they can dodge fire

- Cover. Newbies die all the time in FPS games that have snipers. Running out in the open = DEATH. This is why I say average cookie cutter MMO has poor PVP. In real life it is death to run out in the open w/o surverying the terrain and ensuring you have cover

- Lack of TAB key. This means players cant 'target call' on Ventrillo and spike a target with impunity. In Guild Wars we would target call and destroy our enemies before they could click a key

I have to run to lunch and stuff but this is just some meager points off the top of my head. I have seen it daily- been apart of small teams achieving victory in FPS. I ahve seen 1 man make a huge difference

1. MMOs have always had realtime combat see Asheron's Call 1 for example.

2. Depends on FPS game in question how much "skill" is in question
    my site appears to be down so I'll go from memory:
    - Knowledge of Terrain is KEY, paramount to taking victory. I have seen small groups achieve victory by having knowledge of where to find cover, bottlenecks, etc.
    - Friendly Fire. Every FPS gamer knows if you lob around Area of Effect without caution and notifying teammates you can massacre your own allies
    - Dodging. Warriors die to Mages due to inability to Dodge. Meleers are a force in traditional FPS because they can dodge fire
    - Cover. Newbies die all the time in FPS games that have snipers. Running out in the open = DEATH. This is why I say average cookie cutter MMO has poor PVP. In real life it is death to run out in the open w/o surverying the terrain and ensuring you have cover
    - Lack of TAB key. This means players cant 'target call' on Ventrillo and spike a target with impunity. In Guild Wars we would target call and destroy our enemies before they could click a key
    I have to run to lunch and stuff but this is just some meager points off the top of my head. I have seen it daily- been apart of small teams achieving victory in FPS. I ahve seen 1 man make a huge difference

Ok, you just went into detail about what I said that FPS games require you to take advantage of opportunities (and/or create them) and are all about positioning. I'm not debating that.

I'm just saying that Darkfall will not be like that. It will be like Fury or Oblivion in terms of how FPS it is.

You want fantasy FPS play Dark Messiah. That is fantasy FPS done right. If they make Darkfall like that, it may be a good combat game.

• ElectricdawnElectricdawn Member Posts: 35
    been apart of small teams achieving victory in FPS. I ahve seen 1 man make a huge difference

Just to remind you, the last dev post said something about "Ping not being important as Darkfall wouldn't be an FPS".

Don't get your hopes up too much, guys.

And to say that in WoW it doesn't take skill to win in PvP or be a good tank/healer just speaks of plain ignorance. You obivously never have played WoW...or didn't care much about it.

Edith says: I have the feeling that you guys somehow think that you're part of an elite, that you're oh so ubercool, because you ruled in CounterStrike. Let me tell you friend, this is not so. We're all customers, paying to play a GAME! Yes, a game. If you want to be a 1337 soldier, go join the Army, go to Iraq or Afghanistan.