Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you have to quest to exp?

Is it possible to get decent loot and exp just grinding mobs?

Or do you need to quest in this game?

Comments

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Possible, but slower!

REALITY CHECK

• 50m30n350m30n3 Member Posts: 1

Its Mostly done by questing. wont get very far from killing mobs.

• Shard101Shard101 Member Posts: 479

So this game has more quests than EVERquesting?

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

I quest really heavily up to about level 20. Every 2 days though I totally stop doing tasks and just have fun exploring. Dependant on how organized a exploration I do I can get 1/2 to 3/4ths the exp as when I quest.

Honestly though Im not that organized and I prefer to wander the hills around bree. Hell you mite find me sitting playing my harp on a starry night. Ran into a elf doing that once and had a awesome jam looking over the midgewater when the swamp was at the blood hour. Such a amazing view.

Maybe thats what captured my attention in Lotro. You just have alot of moments where you just forget the grind and go with the flow

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Originally posted by Shard101

You mean the original EQ?  Hell yes. They really should have called it Evergrind. 

The quest interface was clunky as hell.  Most of the quests were damn near impossible to figure out without a walkthrough.  The NPCs often wouldn't even tell you what zone you should be looking in, much less where in the zone.  The quests also frequently involved idiotically rare spawns that you could spend hours or days looking for.  And if you did actually struggle your way through one of those utterly pianfull quests 95% of the time you got the same amount of loot and XP you could have gotten by standing in one spot killing rats for 15 minutes. 

"Oh, hell yes. Great reward Mr. Questgiver.  Thanks for the ten silver you f-ing dickass.  Yeah, that was worth two days of my life."

In the expansion that they released last year they tried to make things better by adding more decent quests.  They advertised that you could "quest to the cap if you wanted too."  While things did get quite a bit better, you still need to spend a hell of a lot of time grinding.  Quests are still to few and far between to be a really viable method of leveling, and EQ still has about the slowest leveling of any MMO on the market. 

More on topic:  You can level by grinding in LoTRO.  In fact, if you did that you'd get your general traits to high levels much faster that most players, and so be a little better off in terms of stats.   The important thing is to A. fight mobs your particular toon is strong against (for example, fight humanoids as a burg), and B. fight mobs very close to your level, mainly whites if possible.  A lot of players actually level to 20 that way, to get the Undying title.

That said, questing is a much faster method of levelling.  Depending on what class you're playing and what you are fighting I'd guess it's anywhere from a third faster to twice as fast as straight up grinding.  And you will be doing it solo, no-one is going to stand around with you and pull camps.  If you think grinding is "totally sweet" LoTRO is probably not a good game for you.   

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Originally posted by Yeebo

Originally posted by Shard101

You mean the original EQ?  Hell yes. They really should have called it Evergrind.   

Have to agree. And yes, LOTRO is much more quest-oriented.

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

Originally posted by 50m30n3

Its Mostly done by questing. wont get very far from killing mobs.
    It's actually the combination of Questing and killing MOBs that propels players forward. If you take the simple kill quests, they typically require you to kill say 10 MOBs.  If you look at the xp you get from killing those MOBs, it will be roughly 1/10 the xp for completing the quest.

For example, at L30, you may get 200 xp per MOB killed. You kill 10 of those, and that's 2000 xp. Turn in the quest for killing those 10 MOBs, and it nets you another 2000 xp.

So it's actually pretty balanced (like most things in the game). In fact I'd wager that if your trip back to the quest hub was lengthy, you'd be better off only killing MOBs. Consider the fact that it takes about 30 secs to kill a MOB, then in 5 minutes you could kill 10 MOBs. If your roundtrip from Quest origin to destination, back to Quest origin is greater than 5 minutes, well you'd be better off killing MOBs.

But the reality is that it is so close, and well balanced, that you can quest or kill and probably come out about the same.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• HexxeityHexxeity Member Posts: 848

When was the last time you guys played EQ?  I just restarted with fresh characters this year, and the leveling has been pretty darned fast.  Also, there are far more quests than you can possibly do before you start to outlevel them.

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

Originally posted by Hexxeity

When was the last time you guys played EQ?  I just restarted with fresh characters this year, and the leveling has been pretty darned fast.  Also, there are far more quests than you can possibly do before you start to outlevel them.

I reactivated my account two weeks ago, and after nine hours (six of which was patching) I canceled and uninstalled it.

Boring as hell. If there are quests for 12-47 level toons, they're sure hard to find.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• HexxeityHexxeity Member Posts: 848

Originally posted by Cerion

Originally posted by Hexxeity

I reactivated my account two weeks ago, and after nine hours (six of which was patching) I canceled and uninstalled it.

Boring as hell. If there are quests for 12-47 level toons, they're sure hard to find.

Wow, are you kidding me?  They are clearly labeled.  Above the NPCs' heads.  In bright blue.  It will say "Quests 25-30" or whatever.  I am not kidding.

Maybe you don't have the newer expansions?  You can get all but SoF in one bundle for $20 now.

If you came back and tried to play the same old content as before, well of COURSE that part of the game hasn't changed.  /bonk