Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Note to Turbine

Next time you perform major maintenance or make major changes to your server architecture, you should do it on a test system first before attempting to roll it out onto production servers.  In addition, you should have a setup where the changes can be swiftly rolled back in the event of trouble to minimize downtime.  That way, the servers aren't down in the evening because of "unforseen difficulties" with "maintenance".  Just FYI.

Comments

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by damicatz

Next time you perform major maintenance or make major changes to your server architecture, you should do it on a test system first before attempting to roll it out onto production servers.  In addition, you should have a setup where the changes can be swiftly rolled back in the event of trouble to minimize downtime.  That way, the servers aren't down in the evening because of "unforseen difficulties" with "maintenance".  Just FYI.

Next time you plan to speak directly to the developers of a game you may want to post on the game's official forums.  Just FYI.

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

That was probably his first thought too.... but the official forums, like the servers, are currently down.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183
    Originally posted by vmoped

Originally posted by damicatz

Next time you plan to speak directly to the developers of a game you may want to post on the game's official forums.  Just FYI.

Impossible, since the forums are down as well......FYI.

• TheChronicTheChronic Member Posts: 253

note to turbine:

lord of the rings online will begin to sink slowly when age of conan gets released in march 2008

"You must be either retarded or a fanboi..."

• Token1337GuyToken1337Guy Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by TheChronic

note to turbine:
    lord of the rings online will begin to sink slowly when age of conan gets released in march 2008

Just like WoW, am I right?

• saveit11saveit11 Member Posts: 31

I really wonder what's going on that's taking them so long, as it's been over 8 hours since they were originally supposed to be back online. I had the whole day off too, I was hoping to get some playtime in for a while...hopefully they'll be back up soon. At least we know they're working on them, as the launcher is being updated regularly.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

yeah, no kidding. This is getting ridiculous. If they had just announced that it wouldn't be available today, I could have gotten something ELSE done, instead of waiting all damn day for the game to come up. I don't get many days off as it is...

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Okay, who blew up the servers

I am home sick today with the flu, so naturally I was gonna get some stuff done ingame today.  Oh well...I guess I could pet my cat or something, lol. 

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Asheron's Call is also down.  Probably D & D Online also.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams

Lol, somebody at Turbine messed up big...servers have been down now 14 hours. Damn.

• QueinaiQueinai Member Posts: 76

Yep, DDO is offline as well.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

What a joke. They must know how bad this looks. No game site, a list as ling as my arm to the left of me, alternatives to thumb up my ass waiting for servers.

15 and a half hrs after scheduled down time. It must have been a big truck. Anyone get a plate number?

well, at least the forums are back online. looks like it's a problem with the login server and not the game itself.

• Jaxom92Jaxom92 Member Posts: 267

Sometimes things don't go as planned. Turbine, in their history, have done numerous updates and repairs to their sites and games without any trouble, so this is just one of those unforeseen problems life throws at you. Patience is very useful at a time like this.

Check out my LOTRO Blog: www.middleearthadventurer.blogspot.com

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

The system proved too much a burden on Hamster 1.0. They had to take the systems down so they can upgrade to the newer, stronger Hamster 2.0.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• HawkbitHawkbit Member Posts: 31

Due to a work schedule change, I can't raid with my WoW guild for at least the next 6 months... so I decided earlier today to reup my LotRO account and casual play for a month or two. 

L O L  I have the worst (or maybe best) luck. 

• mrskippymrskippy Member CommonPosts: 114

Yeah and AC is down too ... get over it. Be like me and have multiple MMO accts -- with a different company. Or, just do something else.

FWIW, I have had a WoW account since early 2005, not too long after launch. There was lots of downtime than and for the first few months my billing was delayed. My 30-days free was more like 45-50.

And, I always seem to have a backlock of time with my SOE account.

I'm sure Turbine will credit us with at least one day, if not more.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by saveit11
    I really wonder what's going on that's taking them so long, as it's been over 8 hours since they were originally supposed to be back online. I had the whole day off too, I was hoping to get some playtime in for a while...hopefully they'll be back up soon. At least we know they're working on them, as the launcher is being updated regularly.

Maintenance guy probably spilled his coffee on the server's motherboard....

D.

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Not sure who all has seen this... but figured this was the best place to post it:

From this link: forums.lotro.com/showthread.php

"

vbmenu_register("postmenu_1320795", true);

Turbine, Inc.

Service Outage Update

Hello Everyone,

On behalf of the entire staff at Turbine we would like to apologize for yesterday’s extended downtime. The outage was a unique occurrence involving a combination of the hardware and software that supports our login servers and other related web services. This problem prevented players from successfully logging into the games, although the game servers themselves were unaffected and remained up.

Please rest assured that we worked hard to bring the service back online as quickly as possible. The team tasked with resolving the issues pulled out all the stops and worked nonstop day and night to bring the service back online.

Despite our best efforts, we could not avoid a lengthy downtime. We’re already working with our vendors to review the process and technology issues that contributed to the outage, and are collectively making immediate changes to prevent this type of incident.

While we can’t give you Monday back, we hope to ease the frustration many of you felt by extending your playtime. Additionally, affected players will receive an in-game gift to show our appreciation for your patience during the downtime:
    • For all players who had an active subscription on 11/26/2007 to any Turbine game, we will automatically extend your current billing period by one day. Your new billing date will be reflected at myaccount.turbine.com after the change takes effect.
    • Dungeons and Dragons Online™ players will receive a Candy Cane for every character on their account. This is an item with 30 charges of Heal Moderate and is usable at any level.
    • The Lord of the Rings Online™ players will be given a stack of five Scented Candles for each character on their account. These items are single-use consumables that provide a temporary increase to Hope.
    • For Asheron’s Call® players we are pleased to announce a Bonus Loot Weekend with a special improvement to the normal loot distribution for a limited time.
    At Turbine, we remain focused on providing the best possible service to our subscribers. Players who wish to give us specific feedback on the issue and how we handled it may send an e-mail to turbinesupportexperience@turbi ne.com. We welcome your comments.

Thanks to each of you and we’ll see you soon in Stormreach, Eriador, and Dereth!

Please note: Special items and game time will be applied during the month of December."
  • TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Well everything seems up and running. Back to the game! WOHOO!!