Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

best class to level or group

i just started playing  the game and have a 16 elf hunter. what is the best class for easy leveling and what is the best for getting a group.

Comments

• Jaxom92Jaxom92 Member Posts: 267

You will virtually always find a group if you play a minstrel or guardian. But, sometimes it's hard to find people doing certain quests, but that's not necessarily a class issue.

Check out my LOTRO Blog: www.middleearthadventurer.blogspot.com

• VallenarVallenar Member Posts: 124

I guess it depends on your play style.

A hunter is a great choice if you like strong single target DPS.  

If you like to aggro a few mobs and take them on at once then roll a champion.

If strategy and survivability is more your game roll a lore-master.

A burglar is also a very nice choice if you like to avoid fights in order to reach a quest goal, plus they have great debufs too.

Or you can do what the above poster said and roll a minstrel or guardian.  This will all but guarantee you will find a slot in just about any group.

In your case I would avoid a captain as it sounds like you are more interested in DPS than playing the roll of a secondary healer/buffer.

If you are interested in dps, the captain is definitely not the way to go, as the poster above me said. Trust me, as a captain, when I group with either a hunter or champ, the only way I out dps them is if they're at least five levels below me... or more. Otherwise, I can hardly get a swing in before the mob is dead.

I'd also like to address the first part of your question, which I didn't in my above post. I don't think any one class could be considered easy for leveling, unless you equate that with soloability. As a captain, I've found I'm pretty soloable, but only more so as I get to the later levels (40+). A guardian can solo better than me, and minstrel has the advantage of self-heals. A LM could arguably have the best survivability, and therefore soloability. I've seen countless Lore-masters get out of quite the jam. Champs I've found to be unusually squishy for heavy armor wearers, but maybe it's all subjective perception. Hunters definitely have trouble if over run by mobs in melee range, so you have to be careful there. Any class has it's advantages to leveling, though, so I don't think your question is entirely answerable.

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Although burgler has some issues. I found that most every class was a lot of fun to play. However, youll find archers are a dime a dozen (perhaps 2).

Torrential

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

guardian is a good class for soloing, but it takes you longer to kill things than some of the other classes. On the plus side, you last a lot longer, so it kind of weighs out.

Hunters are a lot of fun though, and people are usually happy to have one in the group, due to the amazing DPS, and the speed buffs. Just please don't use Strength Stance in a group

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Personally I think Minstrels are one of the best solo classes with Loremasters not far behind. Some would argue that a Loremaster is more powerful and they are right. The reason I prefer the Minstrel is there sheer survivability! You can basically face anything which fits into a equation I came up with. If the enemies or enemy your facing cant damage you half your hp in one attack cycle you can win. Simply because you can heal half your hp in on attack cycle and squeeze in a attack. Meaning you can grind them down slowly but surely and win. Ive done this more time then I can count now

One thing I have to advice you on is learning to use your Ballad of Resonance like its your life! Squeezing off that BoR, Healing and attack can be tricky. Squeezing in a defense or state buff to is where it becomes art.

Anyone whos played a EQ bard knows what I mean

I've never played a minstrel, out of all the classes. I just couldn't get into it. But, I highly respect the people that do. They have a very tough job. They have to pay attention to what's going on around them at every moment, and if they miss a beat, it might be the difference between a wipe or a sucessful group endevor. I've also seen them solo some pretty amazing things.

Aye, I suppose some people cant seem to feel the beat. Like the old saying goes, you either got it or you dont

• aniefeilaaniefeila Member Posts: 2

Oh one words of advice, if your a bard group with Burglars. Me and my friend were playing against some goblins and bouncing argo like you cant believe. He would sneak up on a group, hit them hard. Then id heal, the pack would run to me. Hed sneak up Pop them again, Id heal. Back and forth they ran. Absolutely side splitting!   Then this poor LM walked up... Oh the carnage.. Apparently they attract argo better then my heals did HAHAHAHAHA

• oficasioeaoficasioea Member Posts: 2

Aye, I suppose some people cant seem to feel the beat. Like the old saying goes, you either got it or you dont