Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gigabit LAN

upn2daleftupn2daleft Member Posts: 28

I have a gigabit LAN controller with my new motherboard. I am planning on getting a new router that has gigabit ports. But will running at gigabit speed to the router actually increase my performance when I play MMO's? After all, what is the speed from the router to the cable modem? I'm pretty sure it's not gigabit?

Comments

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

You can play an MMO on a Dial Up just fine because of how bandwidth limited an MMO must be.  Also for your other question.  No it won't matter at all considering even the best cable service only provids 50Mb/s down 20Mb/s up.  While the actual cat5 cable goes at 100 Mb/s.  The only thing switching to a 1 Gb/s connection will affect is network gaming, and traffic.  Its highly useful in lets say a render farm where you have 50 computer racks all rendering out data and it transfers the results to a central computer.

Still a CAT6 cable really isn't that expensive.  Might as well get it over CAT5e.