Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Out of Memory

Comments

• DamerosDameros Member Posts: 29

I'm on the trial island and I just changed the settings and logging in. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers!

• adders666adders666 Member Posts: 259

welcome mate, anytime

hope you have a great experience in norrath and have lag free operation :D if u roll a toon on the runnyeye server look me up in game, ttfn

Darn, got the error again.

The exact error is: <verify>E:/live/eq2/framework/core/devices/src/DirectXRendreDevice.cpp(2290): DirectX Error. (E_OUTOFMEMORY)

• adders666adders666 Member Posts: 259

hmmm, double strange, that error strongly suggests that your graphics card dont have enough VRAM, i thought you was getting the old out of RAM messege hense trying all the virtual memory processes, now there are a few things that might be able to solve your problem

1. get new drivers for gfx card

2. if you are on a laptop check that the graphics card is not one of those ones that share system ram to function, if it is u will need to increase the available memory for it.

3. try running the game in extreme performance to see if the error comes up again. if not, raise the settings 1 by one till you get something that u are comfy with

other then that i am unsure what to suggest apart from going over to the forums at sony and seeing if they can shed a light on the subject

I've just installed the latest drivers for my graphics card and I'll see how it goes. I'll try to find out more info about this on the net. Thanks for all the help :) .

Cheers

Ok, I played for about an hour on extreme performance, resolution 1024x768, without any problems. After an hour, I turned some settings up to medium (texture quality) and the game froze. I had so much fun playing and I probably will still get EQ2 even if I have to play on really low graphics because their not too terrible and the game is so fun.

However, it nags me that I have a computer capable of running it at much higher settings and yet I can't.

Does anyone know why this might happen?

Thanks guys and see you in Norrath!

• LeemegLeemeg Member UncommonPosts: 230

Just want to add one thing.

EQ2 is very memory hungry, I can't say that I have seen a memory leak, but on the higher quality settings it will require more than 1 gig or ram. When I run the game on very high quality or extreme quality, it will normally sit between 1.5GB and 2.0GB usage, and that is EverQuest2.exe file alone, so you will have the rest of the system on top of that. Of course VM will help, but it will require more hd access, which will lower the performance.

The Balanced and the performance settings sat often below 1 gig on my old rig, may remember that the balanced setting was around 0.9-1.1 GB, but I don't trust my memory that much :)

Some newer zones are using more memory than some of the older ones too, zones like Greater Feydark and Nerak is well known for it :)

--
    Leemeg.

• quaikyquaiky Member Posts: 566

textures in eq2 need lots of memory, in some zones the client uses 1.5gb ram or more if you run on maximum textures. So if you want to run the game with higher graphic quality getting more ram definitely helps. Also the operating system matters here, under xp you will not need as much ram than if you run it under vista. If you want to run the game with maximum textures i recommend 2gb ram or more.

But in most cases you can leave most effects active from betetr gfx settings and just switch textures down if you don't have enough memory. But the bad thing is that in my opinnion the texture quality has a really high impact on overall look of the game especially if you have to switch it down a few steps.

Another thing wIth the kunark i got some errors again where the game could not allocate more memory while i was running on maximum textures (and that happened with 3gb ram). i switched texture quality a bit down for now and its running stable for me. But that only happened in the new bigger areas so i don't think its a global problem.

Originally posted by quaiky

Another thing wIth the kunark i got some errors again where the game could not allocate more memory while i was running on maximum textures (and that happened with 3gb ram). i switched texture quality a bit down for now and its running stable for me. But that only happened in the new bigger areas so i don't think its a global problem.

Is this a message about it cannot allocate more memory above 2 GB? It is a fast fix for that.

--
    Leemeg.

yes thats the message, turning textures a bit down fixes that for me

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

There's a memory leak and always has been but it shouldn't cause that. Ever since the release of RoK, it takes me about 2 hours before I have to reboot (used to be around 6 hours, damned zones are too large).

However, to play this game with ANY comfort zone, you need to have at least 1 gig memory free and nothing running in the background save maybe your antivirus.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm amazed that the game requires so much ram because the recommended specs are 1 gig and most people 3 years ago had 1 gig of ram. I'm going to upgrade my computer soon when I get the money and I want to get 4 gigs of ram (2 dual channel kits) but I've heard that XP only uses 3 gigs. Is this true?

Cheers guys and I'm really glad that I can at least run the game because it's so amazing :)

• MakurosuMakurosu Member Posts: 30
    I've been getting a lot of the same out of memory errors since adding RoK to my account. I usually seem to be able to go a couple of hours before getting one, unless I'm in Timorous Deep. They seem to be occuring at least hourly there. In Gorowyn, if I'm near the various elevators and other moving platforms, it only takes about 5 or 10 minutes before I get an OOM error.

I tried turning off shadows, and don't seem to be getting near as many in the Faydwer areas. It still doesn't take long to get one in the new zones, though.

Originally posted by Dameros

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I'm amazed that the game requires so much ram because the recommended specs are 1 gig and most people 3 years ago had 1 gig of ram. I'm going to upgrade my computer soon when I get the money and I want to get 4 gigs of ram (2 dual channel kits) but I've heard that XP only uses 3 gigs. Is this true?
    Cheers guys and I'm really glad that I can at least run the game because it's so amazing :)

standard 32bit xp can only use 3gb ram,  i heared 32bit vista is also limted to that. 64 bit vista allows a lot more memory, not sure what limts they put in there.

also in the 32bit windows versions normal programs are limited to 2gb ram usage.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've been having no problems running at extreme performance but that's pretty much it, turning the textures up or running on balanced crashes the game.

Would getting 2gb of dual-channel ram solve this problem?

Cheers!

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by Dameros

Thanks for the replies everyone.
    I've been having no problems running at extreme performance but that's pretty much it, turning the textures up or running on balanced crashes the game.
    Would getting 2gb of dual-channel ram solve this problem?

Cheers!
    Ok...maybe we are not getting the full story here. You should be able to run better unless the system is 3+ years old...

What are the full specs on your system...

Video, CPU, Sound, etc...

Thanks

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

I have a 2gb systems and was in neriak last night and started having lag issues.  I looked at the client and it was using around 1.5gb ram and with other stuff running my system was upto something like 2.2gb ram used and since I only have 2gb of real ram it was swapping which was causing the lag issues.

This seems like a pretty steep memory requirement and I did restart the game and it was pretty quickly back at around 1.4gb leading me to believe that it isn't a memory leak but just a need for a lot of memory?  Does anyone else see this?  I have a quad core system, 2gb ram with an 8800gtx so I'm playing with most every option maxed.

Ironically it seems like Vanguard is playing better on my system now days then EQ2 which is just wrong... Although the only area's I seem to lag in eq2 are in neriak and qeynos harbor.  Most other areas are minor and not something I'm noticing.

---
    Ethion

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by ethion

I have a 2gb systems and was in neriak last night and started having lag issues.  I looked at the client and it was using around 1.5gb ram and with other stuff running my system was upto something like 2.2gb ram used and since I only have 2gb of real ram it was swapping which was causing the lag issues.
    This seems like a pretty steep memory requirement and I did restart the game and it was pretty quickly back at around 1.4gb leading me to believe that it isn't a memory leak but just a need for a lot of memory?  Does anyone else see this?  I have a quad core system, 2gb ram with an 8800gtx so I'm playing with most every option maxed.
    Ironically it seems like Vanguard is playing better on my system now days then EQ2 which is just wrong... Although the only area's I seem to lag in eq2 are in neriak and qeynos harbor.  Most other areas are minor and not something I'm noticing.
    My current specs...

e6600 overclocked to 3Ghz (1333FSB)

2 GB DDR2

8800GTS 640, 169.04 drivers

X-Fi gamer

Note the sound card...this caused a major issue...and I found out running the card with no EAX works best, and turn on EAX 2 (no higher) in game...otherwise, I got crashes

I also turned off shadows, this helped...

I finally have a 3 gb page file...and so far, I just do not crash...

Hope that helps...

Cheers!

eq2 is using as much memory as it can get from system to cache textures and other stuff.  this helps to speed up zoning and a few other things.  so if you play with all settings maxed and run through a few zones the clent will fill your memory fast.

At game release i had only 1gb ram but upgraded to 2gb soon after and the difference was really noticable, game was running a lot smoother. Since then they made a lot optizations on the engine, but the new zones are also more graphic heavy so overall i still think 2gb should still make a big difference.

On my last computer upgrade i got one with 3gb ram, but i did not notice much difference to the 2gb i had before, the new gfx card and cpu allowed me to enable some more effects. overall i don't think you will have much advantage of having more than 2gb in eq2 under xp unless you run a loot software in background. vista needs more ram for the os alone so maybe there will be a bigger advatange if you have more than 2gb ram.

Not sure about win32x limitation to 2GB usage per program, but I know that the Everquest2.exe file are limited to that. You need to "change" a bit in the exe file to allow it to exceed the 2GB limit, and the "2gb error message" will go away.

Running it on high quality will make the game require a sick amount of RAM. That's my main reason I upgraded my 2GB ram to 8GB within one week after I bought a new rig with Vista. I would recommend 2GB for XP systems, and 3GB for Vista system. Vista does use more RAM idle compared to XP.

32 bit version limit the maximum RAM to 4GB (including gfx), so it will often result in a max usage of 3.2GB-3.5GB. The 64 bit version has not that physical limitation, it's far higher, but Microsoft has limited the support to 128GB on their 64 bit versions (not 100% sure, but the limit is high enough for me to get concerned about it now).

I run on a Vista 64bit version, have modificated the exe file (see below), and I haven't had any memory problem after I did it. Not a single time. Before I changed it, I got the error as many of you here, every 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the zone.

Does this on your own risk (method found on the official forums some time back, dunno if it is removed by now):

1. Download a hex editor, or whatever they call it. I use CFF explorer from http://www.ntcore.com. And install it.

2. Two ways now:

a) Patch the game, but don't click "PLAY".

b) Patch the game and close the patcher.

3. Open the Everquest2.exe file from your game folder within the CFF Explorer software

4. Go to "Nt HEaders"->"File Header"->"characteristics"->"Click here". Click on that pink text.

5. Tick the "App can handle >2gb addressest"

6. Save the file.

7. a) Click play

b) Start the Everquest2.exe file directly.

After any patch, you will have to do this again, since the patcher will re-download the .exe file for each time you run the patcher.

Note. I'm not sure if it will work on system with less than 2GB ram, or on a 32-bit system. But, it does work on a 64bit system, with more RAM than 2GB.

--
    Leemeg.

Thanks for the replies. I've already posted my specs but I'll post them again.

MSI 7800GT

Intel P4 3.8ghz

Asus P5ND2-SLI

Transcend 1gb of ram

I have a sound card but don't know the name of it. Also, I play with audio settings set to minimum and it still crashes when I turn the graphics up.

I have the latest video card drives, I think they're the 165.75 ones.

Also, it's really tempting to try that CFF change to the EQ2.exe but I've read a thread about that and a dev posted that it is bannable because in the user agreement it states that you are not to modify the exe. in any way. If I make this change, SOE can see it as a third party program.

I've also set the page file to 4096 which doesn't seem to make any difference.

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

If you can afford it bump up your ram to 2 gig, it will make a world of difference.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by openedge1

My current specs...

2 GB DDR2

X-Fi gamer

Note the sound card...this caused a major issue...and I found out running the card with no EAX works best, and turn on EAX 2 (no higher) in game...otherwise, I got crashes

Hope that helps...

Cheers!

You have a 8800GTS and you had to turn of shadows? 8800GTS supports Shader 4.0, and I highly doubt EQ2 even uses Shader 3.0.

I run Tabula Rasa with full shaders all on maximum with a 8600GT with no problem at all. Sounds like EQ2 shaders are just optimized really badly?

Originally posted by heerobya

Originally posted by openedge1

My current specs...

2 GB DDR2

X-Fi gamer

Hope that helps...

Cheers!

You have a 8800GTS and you had to turn of shadows? 8800GTS supports Shader 4.0, and I highly doubt EQ2 even uses Shader 3.0.

I run Tabula Rasa with full shaders all on maximum with a 8600GT with no problem at all. Sounds like EQ2 shaders are just optimized really badly?

shadows != shaders. most high quality shadow implementations are still calculated by the cpu. especially if the game uses an older shader modell the things you can do with that are more limited. maybe there is an option to code a high quality shadow code with the newer shader models but with the older ones you could not do really dynamic shadows.

• JWHCIYKDLJWHCIYKDL Member Posts: 2