Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Out of Memory

DamerosDameros Member Posts: 29

I downloaded the EQ2 trial and I'm having a blast but after a while of playing (20-30mins) the game crashes and gives me an error that it's "out of memory".

Now, this happens almost instantly if I put the game on extreme graphics but happens later if I turn the settings down. It seems to me that there is a memory leak. Is the memory leak caused by the game or is it my computer? I really want to get this game but I don't think I will if I crash every 30 minutes.

Thanks guys

Comments

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

Memory leaks are caused by the game and yeah, as of last I played, there was a pretty nasty memory leak and apparently has never been fixed. I never had it get that bad in EQ2 though that it would give me an out of memory error

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• adders666adders666 Member Posts: 259

sounds like you have a gig of ram and have turned off system paging file in virtual memory on ur computer, turn on the virtual memory setting to custom and set the min and max to 1.5x ur maximum ram and it will almost certianly sort out your problem

• DamerosDameros Member Posts: 29

Thank you so much for the replys guys. Adders, how do I go about changing those settings?

Cheers :D

P.S Yes I do have 1 gig of ram.

ok right click my computer,

click properties

(if vista on the left of the page that pops up click advanced computer settings)

click the advanced tab

then performance button

click the advanced tab on the new window

click the change button in the virtual memory section

click the hard drive with your OS on it (C: most probably)

click the custom size radio button

now if u have 1Gb of ram put 1500 in the min and max fields, if you have 2Gb put 3000 in min and max (so its 1.5x your ram amount)

click set

and press ok on all the windows till it gets rid of them all

restart ur machine and u will be set

Hmmm. I checked it out and it was already set to custom and the initial size is 1536mb and the max size is 3072mb.

Also in the "total paging file size for all drives" the currently allocated size is 1536mb, if that matters.

Any ideas?

Cheers

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by Dameros

Hmmm. I checked it out and it was already set to custom and the initial size is 1536mb and the max size is 3072mb.
    Also in the "total paging file size for all drives" the currently allocated size is 1536mb, if that matters.
    Any ideas?
    Cheers

Yes...set minimum and maximum to 3072...then in game turn off shadows...this should eliminate the crash...worked for me (ps: dont forget to reboot after setting VM)

Cheers!

ok, well to have a paging file at all is a surprise to me from your discription of the crash, also if u have a different size in min / max. the page file automaticly resizes when needed which can cause horrible performance on EQ2 as the zones are so large. but that wouldnt cause u to get an out of memory error, it would just make you chug a bit. but without your system specs and that i cant really advise anything else. the only other thing i can think of is that you dont have enough ram but if the system is giving you 1.5Gb as a page file u should have 1Gb ram right? also what programs are you running in the background while playing?

Hey openedge,

Isn't it excessive to turn my minimum to 3072mb since I only have 1 gig of ram?

Adders, you said to turn the min AND max to 1500, is this correct?

Cheers!

My spec are:

Asus P5ND2-SLI

MSI 7800GT

Intel P4 3.8ghz

1 gig of ram.

The only program I have running in the background is the microsoft voice recongnition software.

yes you dont need a 3gig page file with a gig of ram really, tho it wouldnt hurt either, would just swallow up some extra HDD space, if you have it then as i said it wouldnt hurt, your choice though, just make sure the min and max are the same number and as openedge said turn off shadows, and maybe make sure your graphics card isnt putting any AA or AF on all 3d programs cause if u try to put 8x AF and 4xAA on this game it will blow up most pcs lol

ohh voice recognition software is a RAM eater if there ever was one, try turning it off as well, as its not all that great in games anyway :)

*edit spelling*

I've made my max 1536mb and I don't use an shadows in game and I don't use AA or AF.

Cheers

P.S. Ok I'll try to turn it off but I don't know how lol. I might just uninstall it...Darn, this might be the problem, I downloaded the voice recog to try out on WoW and then WoW started freezing and it didn't do that before I installed the voice recog.

Cheers!

yeah no problem mate, VR especially the microsoft one is a horrible memory hog at the best of times, though if you aint using it while in game then i cant see how it would cause problems :S but you will probably find u dont get out of memory errors after you turn it off and then we have found out what was causeing the problem :D ill hang about here for a little while and see how it worked for ya

Thanks a lot man. Just gonna restart computer and see how I go.

Cheers :)

P.S I restarted and the VR still opens up at start up even though I went to add/remove and removed it. Gotta figure out how to uninstall the darn thing lol.

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by Dameros

Hey openedge,
    Isn't it excessive to turn my minimum to 3072mb since I only have 1 gig of ram?
    Adders, you said to turn the min AND max to 1500, is this correct?
    Cheers!

Not at all...each person has a different perspective of the VM..I personally like double to triple...and store that on a seperate drive if possible.

All rules note to it being 1.5 times your ram...so, the 1500 sizing would be correct according to most websites...

You decide...actually try both

But, for myself...the 3072 and shadows off trick worked wonders...

Good luck

Alright, thanks for that openedge, I'll try it.

P.S. Removed VR. Gonna try playing and see how it goes, I'll put in on extreme settings even if it's unplayble because that's when it happens the fastest and I don't wanna make you guys wait :) .

ive actually got my page file sitting on a usb pen drive :) and its only 950 mb to my 1gig of ram but my performance in EQ2 has never been better could barely run in balanced before i did it and now it runs on high quality in neriak and very high quality out in the open :)

yay just got my sig working thanks to you open :D ta lol

Hehe.

Well, now I can't log in. Are the servers full? I made a new character on a medium populated server and it still won't log in.

It just goes back to the character screen.

i can log in fine mate, which server you trying for?

Restarted game and logged on. I turned the settings to extreme and I'm waiting to see if it crashes now. It's already been up for more than usual. Last time it crashed almost instantly when I turned it to extreme lol. Better not get hopes up though... :P

Ok....tried moving around a bit and it was very choppy and it eventually froze, I don't know if it just was a huge hitch but I restarted the game and I'm just gonna leave it alone. It hasn't crashed yet....

P.S I now got a DirectX error and the game crashed on extreme settings, this might be because my computer can't handle it (maybe?) so I'm gonna put it on custom settings and let it run.

aye putting it in extreme quality does freeze up majorly and hitches like a hitchy thing, but at least you aint getting out of memory problems :) think we can safely say problem solved :D

Yes, I think we can. Now I just have to get in-game and change my settings without freezing lol :P. I'll post after I've for a few hours to see if it stil happens. Thanks for the fantastic help guys. I appreciate it.

Cheers!

before u go you can change the ingame graphics options from the character select screen, there is a little link at the bottom of the screen for it

Yes, I changed it to Balanced and saved the settings but it didn't seem to make a difference.

what starting area did u start in? if its darklight wood then that zone gives me the untold trouble too with lag and that, and for that zone only i put my settings on extreme performance,

*edit*

also if you save it that makes a profile for your graphical changes and dont actually apply them, did u press accept too? maybe you pressed cancel by accident