Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FREEDOM!!!

12346»

Comments

• stitch66stitch66 Member Posts: 8
    Wow that game looks absolutely amazing!
  • spikenogspikenog Member Posts: 283
    Looks great!

I bet it ships with 4 million bugs and gets dumbed down via countless patches though...
  • ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

Originally posted by UbberGoober
    Also not everyone can be on equal par, there will be Guilds in this game that will probably be within the top tier of pvp gaming, they will have experience and leadership as well as the mentality to succeed. Those people who fail, bitch and whine fail because they are not up to par; GAME MECHANICS are not supposed to account for people's stupidity in making bad decisions; granted some people might be turned off by this but for me this is a plus.
    Alignment and NO levels will end the era of level 70s running around and ganking level 1's.

So what happens when, not if, Combine, KAAOS, LotD, Black Irish Brigade, or maybe one or two other guilds run everyone else off the server?

Alignment penalties, and a lack of levels didn't stop anyone in UO. You yourself said you will be in a Chaotic Evil guild, and thus plan on being KoS in your races city. I certainly have no plans of letting piddling alignment concerns, or feeble KoS penalties get in the way of either myself, or my guild killing anyone, and everyone at any and all times. And I highly doubt it will stop anyone else, either.

• UbberGooberUbberGoober Member Posts: 247

So what happens when, not if, Combine, KAAOS, LotD, Black Irish Brigade, or maybe one or two other guilds run everyone else off the server?

1 guild wont be able to run everyone of the server, guilds will be dominant but they will be dominant within their geographic area. The Game game world is big enough to hold over 10k people, plus there's no magical travel or summons like in Shadowbane, no 3am raids, no flight.

Granted a bunch of noobs might get stuck between some guilds, I sure as hell would not want to be in a noob guild stuck between Combine or LOD they would kick the heck out of us. But here's the problem, if you started building a city or a kingdom in a hostile area known to be in close proximity to power RPK guilds then it's your fault for making that decision, if that happeneds only 2 choices exist    (1) Ally with other guilds against them (2) If all else fails relocate to another part of the world, RPK guilds wont be hunting you down trying to drive you off the server since the world is hudge and without fast travel it's too much of  a hassle to spend 24+ hours to get to destination just to pk a few noobs.

The problem is that you will have some people who don't necessairly get it, we don't need a game mechanic to prevent anyhting; pvp is encouraged. RPK's and evil clans are as much a part of the world as Lore base Alignment and racial clans, the thing here to understand is that Evil RPK's of their own race will be in the minority, so in the end their influence does not extend outside of their geographical area.

Coldmeat,

Also take for eample EVE, 20,000 players can play at the same time does one Corporation/guild control the entire world? There are houndreds if not a thousands of guilds or corps in that game, and not one of them dominates; they dominate their specific area but they cant influence the entire scope of the game. Their domination is geographical and miniscule compared to the entire scope of the game. Same concept here with DF, guilds dominate their respective Kingdoms and the areas around them but their influence is miniscule compared to the entire scope of the game.

Eh, they said no fast travel in Vanguard as well, so we'll see how long that lasts. Money will always trump integrity in the business world.

As a side note, you seem to feel that, overall, the playerbase will follow the lore. I used to believe that sort of thing as well, until I actually logged into EQ the first time on RZ. I think it took me all of ten minutes to have that dreamy roleplay veil ripped from my eyes. I was just curious why you think that DF will be any different in this regard?

Coldmeat,

I never played Vanguard some I am not an expert on it, but as far as I know Vanguard does not have a robust pvp system built in, with this in mind it's important to understand that from the outset that races who are at war with one another can't group or guild together unless it's already built into the game. An orc for example wont be welcome in Human territory, he will  be Kos on site and he can't just waltz into a city cause NPC guards will kill him; conflic alreayd exists between the races if one player does somehting he's not supposed to he's gona get an alignment hit and eventually will be killed by his own race or NPC's. You gotta understand that one side is trying to conquer territory for not only themselves but their race as well.

As for magical travel, it will not be the type we see in other games Like "Summon", it's limited and it's expensive. You definately wont see A group of 50 guys porting from one part of the world to another, unless their city got whipped out and they're doing it to relocate and escape the turmoil in their own geographical area.

• dark-merlindark-merlin Member Posts: 314

There is a reason this is the only MMO i am folowing: FREEDOM to do whatever i want, and be able to choose if i want to be truly good or truly evil.

good game aventurine.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by ghoul31
    I fell for this vaporware 5 years ago. They said it would be released in 2003.
    Stop hyping this vaporware already/ Lets talk about games that might actually exist in the future.

It is sad, but that is how I feel.

If they could make it work how they say it will, it would probably be the best game to date. But I doubt they will ever, ever finish it.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Originally posted by Leodious
    It is sad, but that is how I feel.

Don't be sad. It's the way you should feel. Skepticism is healthy.

Originally posted by dark-merlin
    There is a reason this is the only MMO i am folowing: FREEDOM to do whatever i want, and be able to choose if i want to be truly good or truly evil.

good game aventurine.

So how's the game run on your system?

• Runefruit10Runefruit10 Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by xDarc07

This video will generate a whole nother batch of people who a year later will be asking- why no darkfall?  It's a nice video, a nice dream.
    This game has been in development for at least 6 years that we know of folks- do not hold your breath; just go about your business- and one day it might come, it might not.

You do know that they started over in 2003 right? Nope, didn't think so.

Among The Shadows
    http://atsdf.com/

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Game looks good, I'll believe it when I see it actually released with all those things in the video...

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• AbIeLAbIeL Member UncommonPosts: 152

that's alot of freedom O_o

• abbabaabbaba Member Posts: 1,143
    Originally posted by Runefruit10

Originally posted by xDarc07

This video will generate a whole nother batch of people who a year later will be asking- why no darkfall?  It's a nice video, a nice dream.
    This game has been in development for at least 6 years that we know of folks- do not hold your breath; just go about your business- and one day it might come, it might not.

You do know that they started over in 2003 right? Nope, didn't think so.

Holy thread necro Batman!

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

heh nothing like bringing a thread back from the dead for a game that probably will never take a breath

• XApotheosisXXApotheosisX Member Posts: 277

Originally posted by Pyrostasis

heh nothing like bringing a thread back from the dead for a game that probably will never take a breath

Oh YOURE SOOOO WRONG!!11111

they just like released a screen shot of grass the other day ! so there its REAL!

This discussion has been closed.