Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG edits & bans posts too much.

2»

Comments

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776
    Originally posted by Black_Elvis

As you can plainly see by the 3 pages of people basicly telling you to back off on the edits or your site risks loosing credibility.

What I think that some people are failing to see, is that it is the community (yes, your fellow posters) that report the posts that are being edited and resulting in the bans that people are receiving.  So a couple of posts in a thread buried in the Suggestions Forum (sorry, couldn't resist) are hardly representative of the six hundred and eighty-something members of the site as a whole, seeing that it is the rest of those people that are reporting you.

• TaeraTaera Community ManagerMember CommonPosts: 1,078

Hey there guys!  Sorry I didn't hop onto this thread earlier, I've been buried in dev chat emails! ;)

The first and easiest concern to address is that the "new moderators" are getting power-happy.  I'm pleased to say that I'm 100% sure this isn't happening because, well, there are no new moderators yet.  Our selection process takes a couple weeks and we're very careful with who we make a mod.  None of the newbies will be brought in until I'm completely sure they understand their role on the site.

On to the harder stuff - our ruleset and our "heavy hand".  As several posters have pointed out in this thread, MMORPG.com states all of our rules and regulations in our Rules of Conduct.  Our goal is to provide an area where gamers can discuss MMORPGs.  While we encourage debate and opinion sharing, whether it's negative or positive, this needs to be done in a constructive manner.  Here's some quick tips about common misconceptions on our forums:
    • I was only telling the truth.  Please remember that your opinion is not solidly the truth.  Just because you think someone is stupid, retarded, moronic, idiotic, wrong, lying, etc does not give you the right to say that they are - you are more than welcome to say you don't believe them or disagree, but please don't call names or point fingers.  It just starts fights.
    • He started it.  Just because another user called you a moron doesn't mean you can call him a retard.  If another user is trolling, flaming, or otherwise breaking our rules please use the "report" button to notify a moderator.  Don't respond gloating that you reported them, calling them a troll, fanboi, idiot, etc, see list above.  We'll take care of it if they're breaking our rules :)
    • Let me state my negative opinion! GLADLY!  We love input on games, and we encourage you to share your experiences, whether negative or positive.  Here's the catch: don't share it on every thread.  If you got banned from a game, had a bad experience with their customer support, hat e the gameplay, etc. please tell us about it in one thread.  There's no need to respond to every thread relating to that game telling us about the issue; this makes it very hard for other users to share their opinions and experiences.
    • I was being sarcastic.  If you make a joke that insults another user, racial group, gender, etc. This is still against our rules.  Our moderators have no way of knowing that "I'm going to come to your house and kill you in your sleep" is a private joke between you and JohnnyAverage, we have to assume that you're really making a death threat and thus violating our Illegal Activities rule.
    • HOW DARE YOU BAN ME!! If you got a ban or a warning that you don't think you deserved, don't make a post about it; please email [email protected].  This is not to keep it quiet or shove it under a rug; on the contrary, this is so I see it ASAP.  I receive all community@ emails in my private inbox and as long as you give me your MMORPG.com username I'll look into your issue.  On that note, please also include a brief and civil explanation of your appeal.  Saying "unban me you ***sucker" gives me no information, and I'm here to help you :)  And finally, be patient; I'm often out of town or setting up dev chats, and email replies can take a day or two.  I didn't forget about you, I promise.
    Please feel free to post any other issues or questions on this thread, or contact me at [email protected] for any other questions.

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by jsw40

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Criticism - The Definition.
    I think the fellows below you in that thread pretty much shut you down.

Sorry bud.

you and he would be wrong then.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Not enough, imo. Not nearly enough.

Yes, I have had some post deleted, and recieved a ban once. Still, though, there are far too many garbage threads and flame wars here. It doesn't need to be VN's twin brother.

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Originally posted by megaflux

it didn't get nasty till the stupid lotro ad's appeared, ever since then they whack any post that is the least bit negative/offensive. as far as im concerned they lost 50% of all cred they had by even using the lotro ad's.
    they really aren't functioning as forums if people cant exchange ideas and have an equal say, may as well change the url to "mmorpghype.com" at the rate things are going. i dont even see whats wrong with crude language honestly, i could see if it was n*bomb this and mother F* that, but to simply say crap is NOT that offensive (ok maybe to the people who are hyping TR to save their lives), would using the word feces make it more acceptable? poo poo perhaps? there just arent that many ways to say crap without actually saying it (tho im thinking "garriott" might make a nice substitution from now on).
    as long as it isn't outright slanderous or racist i dont see why ANY post should be deleted or edited. if the server is based in the USA it should follow all laws thereof, if they want to run it like communist china maybe they should relocate, ofcourse i feel that about all game servers as well.
    fact is this place is a buisness, and we can always vote with our dollars (no really game companies aren't down to pay for ad's on sites that get like 7 hits a day) . cant expect them to act un-biased, we dont pay them the game companies do.
    I need to try to clear this one up for you.  Our moderators are so detached from the business side (read: advertising) of MMORPG.com that this is not possible.  They in no way use current ad buys to decide who or what gets banned, they have no motivation to - they are volunteers that for the most part have never even spoken to me (and I'm the only one who sells our ad space).

I would also like to point out that our rules have zero to do with US or other laws.  This is not a public space - this is a private place, similar to a night club, restaurant, shopping mall, etc.  You leave your right to free speech at the front door, much as I would if I was a guest in your home.  We have rules as to how to conduct yourself here and you must follow them - or go someplace else.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• shakey2005shakey2005 Member Posts: 49

This site is a private site, the people that run it can do whatever they want. Deal with it.

• ArtarylArtaryl Member Posts: 66

To the op:
    Well unfortunately, there is worse forum then this. And there is better. that depend on the type of community on the forum as well. You should take this site as a site dedicate to a game owned by a private company. There is a maximum you ca say there and after you cross the line well you become a big red target for the mods and you are carefully watch so you do not cross that line too often. And once you do too much well you get the consequence of not respecting their rules.

And as my opinion on this, I think they are still going too easy on certain parts. Although they tend to do a good job as well and can't monitor everything going on (way too much people around). They are still human and human are not perfect so mistake can happen and well we all had our bad days so I'm pretty sure they do as well and tend to be a bit more strict on those days.

You just need to respect the rules and nothing bad will happen to your post.

• PoopyStuffPoopyStuff Member Posts: 297

It's called being overly sensative, anal retentive, politcally correct.

or

all of the above.

• IijsIijs Member Posts: 457

If you want to post on a site that is unmoderated, go somewhere else. Otherwise, suck it up.

• QuantumQrackQuantumQrack Member UncommonPosts: 81

I was banned for posting "Not an MMO" in a certain forum category.  That is all I posted, and was banned.  This is what happens when  forum moderators do not know how to think critically and logically.  Also respecting what others post (as long as it is civil) doesnt seem to be a trait the moderators have either.  I think what it really boils down to is a power trip for moderators unfortunately. 

Its ok though.  There are many other forums to discuss MMO's so I am not worried in the least.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by Stradden

Originally posted by Woopin

Not to be funny here but you also posted this in the wrong forum :)
    This is for MMORPG Games dicussion this post belongs in the Off-Topic forums :P

You and I both know the Off-topic forums are like the unpopular table in the highschool lunchroom.  Everyone knows it's there but no one gives a damn.

With all due respect, you probably should "give a damn" about whether or not you're following our guidelines when you create a thread like this. You're accusing our mods of being too strict and limiting you, but not only do you not follow posting procedure, but when you were made aware of the error (which I assume it was), you actively and publicly choose not to follow it.

Our rules exist for a reason. If you can't follow them, that's your bag. If you feel that a warning or a ban came aginst you unfairly, you can contact our Community Manager at [email protected]. We have procedures in place that would lead to a much speedier resolution if you follow them rather than creating a thread in the wrong forum to voice your displeasure.

Yeah but creating a thread accomplishes much, much more.  As you can plainly see by the 3 pages of people basicly telling you to back off on the edits or your site risks loosing credibility.

Its your site, you do WTF you want to.  But all I'm saying is that the emperor isn't wearing clothes.... now people are starting to agree.

Edit: kudos on burying this in the site suggestion section. I'm sure it will get a ton of views.

Point of order....the score so far is 10 posters upset with the moderation...and 15 in favor of it (12 if we remove the site employees)

Considering those in favor tend to be moderated on a regular basis....their motivation and viewpoint is understandable..... however I'd say a greater percentage of posters feel the moderation levels are just fine.

BTW....no worries about your thread being moved to the suggestion thread , I almost never scan any forums..all my posting topics come off the front page of the web site.....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TaeraTaera Community ManagerMember CommonPosts: 1,078

Originally posted by Nochoices

Let me state my negative opinion! GLADLY!  We love input on games, and we encourage you to share your experiences, whether negative or positive.  Here's the catch: don't share it on every thread.  If you got banned from a game, had a bad experience with their customer support, hat e the gameplay, etc. please tell us about it in one thread.  There's no need to respond to every thread relating to that game telling us about the issue; this makes it very hard for other users to share their opinions and experiences.

So people with positive opinions but false can spam every thread with their lies ? your rules do not make ANY sense, and are open to multiple exploits and workarounds. Why cant i reply in every thread if there is lies needing to be enlightened in every thread ? It makes it very hard to share opinions when your drowning in lies, positive or negative, this WHOLE rule is subject to major exploitation and it is already on the go, i see multiple lies being posted each day, so i cant reply to them because they are positive lies ?

This reminds me on ignore propaganda, why can someone say 'everyone should ignore xxxx' , wich is clearly, hate and ignore propaganda , while i cant say the word Carebear , without getting banned 14 days.

Really thanks to the OP for making this, they sent it to a sub section pretty fast, and i will probably get moderated, deleted, like most of this site. It's a shame that people cant handle the truth , mods included.

"Positive" spam is still spam; the list I posted was not the entire Rules of Conduct, but a quick list of suggestions to keep you off the ban list.  I would also suggest against creating multiple accounts to spam the site, it doesn't shorten your ban ;)

"Everyone should ignore xxx" is considered flaming; please report any posts that say this and we'll take care of 'em.

This thread was moved to the Site Suggestions forum because, well, that's where it belongs.  I don't consider this a lower profile area; don't most of us use the "recent forum posts" button to browse, anyway? :)

If you have other issues you would like to discuss, feel free to toss me a mail at [email protected]

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Originally posted by Kyleran

Point of order....the score so far is 10 posters upset with the moderation...and 15 in favor of it (12 if we remove the site employees)
     Considering those in favor tend to be moderated on a regular basis....their motivation and viewpoint is understandable..... however I'd say a greater percentage of posters feel the moderation levels are just fine.
    BTW....no worries about your thread being moved to the suggestion thread , I almost never scan any forums..all my posting topics come off the front page of the web site.....
    Make that 1 more in favor of how the site is being run and that the mods. are doing their job correctly. 

Are the mods. human and bound to make a mistake here and there with an edit or deletion, or perhaps even a ban from time to time?  Probably so.  I know I make a mistake or two from time to time at my job as well.

That's why there is an appeal process available.  If that process does not give you satisfaction you're left with two choices. 

1)Change your posting habits.

2) Find another site to post on. 

It's not exactly a life-changing proposition either way, so relax.