Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Boycotting the Xpac! Now with POLL!

124»

Comments

• MrVicchioMrVicchio Member Posts: 598

These two posts both hit the nail on the head.... Blizz won't try anything new until people quit paying them money..... otherwise it will always be more of the same....
    And that won't come without competition.   Yes the wife and I quit WoW, and now we sit around a bit bleah.  

Sure WoW wasn't worht the trouble, but right now there is nothing out there worth playing.  I think we're going to see a mass shift away from WoW.  After that happens you'll see Blizz introduce a new MMO to release.

Competition is what Blizzard has had the luxery of  not realling facing.  Not in terms of a strong competition.  Sure EQII launched, but it... wasn't able to deliver.  Since then what has launched with any  real chance of grabbing the market?  A game with a strong IP and Credentials, and a smooth launch?

Nothing has.  Lot's of wanna be launches, Dark and Light, Vanguard, RF Online...   None have held the imagination of the market and none of delivered a solid performance.

Now WoW has AoC, WAR and it's grown long in the tooth. 

Always change your signature.

• MentatMentat Member UncommonPosts: 516

They are going to add a new class per expansion - eventually this will make for a pretty diverse community. Should be pretty cool. The engineering changes in the patch are a good start. The profession still needs work but, it looks like blizzard is on the right track.

• MentatMentat Member UncommonPosts: 516

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by akritas

Originally posted by Yeebo

Theoretically, Blizzard is in kind of a tough spot. 
    On the one hand you have non-raiders, who hate the current WoW end game (raid or die! ....oh yeah, and if you don't like that you can rep grind..wheeee!).  WotLK looks like it will have a nearly identical end game from all I've read. 
    Then you have raiders, who all all pissed that the "mouth breathing casuals" will be able to get gear just as good as the gear they spend months raiding for with a few hours of work once WotLK launches. 
    Sounds like a rock and a hard place. But you know what?  It won't make a damn bit of difference. 
    WotLK will sell like hot cakes, hundreds of thousands of copies will be sold before the expansion even launches. The exact same bitching and moaning from raiders that occured pre-BC will occur on message boards everywhere.  A few months after launch the exact same bitching and moaning that is occuring now as casuals hit the cap and find the same end game they hated when they were 60 will occur on message boards every where.  And WotLK will sell like cheap heroin sells to addicts.  Millions will buy it.
    Blizzard will not innovate in any meaningful way because the masses do not demand it.  The masses have spoken: they will pay for more of the same quite happily.
    And you know what?  If I were Blizzard I'd be working on more of the same too.  When you have a giant money printing machine, you don't f***k around with it.

Sadly I believe this is true, the masses of ppl that play wow and happyly going to buy the expansion continuing to pay their subscriptions is the reason that blizzard wont publish wow 2 or any other mmo anytime soon as they recently announced. Its our own  fault if we are not demanding enough to make game companies rise their fat asses and produce better games with better features etc. I personally liked playing wow a lot and would love to see another mmo from the same companie soon, but I dont think it gonna happen since the masses are just to easy to satisfy by getting served  the same shit in form of expansions with no real new features or improvements. That way they will never make some new mmo. Anyway I hope WAR, AoC etc. will wake them up.

These two posts both hit the nail on the head.... Blizz won't try anything new until people quit paying them money..... otherwise it will always be more of the same....

You guys are ridiculous - a company comes out with an awesome game ... They try to keep updating and make changes as needed, dump time and money into research and development, come out with a new class, update  the talents and professions fairly regularly, raise the level cap, add more and more....

And all you guys can do is bitch and complain about what wow isn't... very annoying and lame....

Over and over again - why dontcha go start another post about how many subs wow has or hasn't and then one on how wow is going to loose x amount of subs to some other game etc...

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138
    Originally posted by MrVicchio

Sure WoW wasn't worht the trouble, but right now there is nothing out there worth playing.  I think we're going to see a mass shift away from WoW.  After that happens you'll see Blizz introduce a new MMO to release.

Actually Blizz's next cash cow will be Starcraft II and it's already in development.  They won't need to release WoW II until the excitement from Starcraft II dies down...about 4 years from now :)

• akritasakritas Member Posts: 76

Originally posted by Mentat

On the one hand you have non-raiders, who hate the current WoW end game (raid or die! ....oh yeah, and if you don't like that you can rep grind..wheeee!).  WotLK looks like it will have a nearly identical end game from all I've read. 
    Then you have raiders, who all all pissed that the "mouth breathing casuals" will be able to get gear just as good as the gear they spend months raiding for with a few hours of work once WotLK launches. 
    Sounds like a rock and a hard place. But you know what?  It won't make a damn bit of difference. 
    WotLK will sell like hot cakes, hundreds of thousands of copies will be sold before the expansion even launches. The exact same bitching and moaning from raiders that occured pre-BC will occur on message boards everywhere.  A few months after launch the exact same bitching and moaning that is occuring now as casuals hit the cap and find the same end game they hated when they were 60 will occur on message boards every where.  And WotLK will sell like cheap heroin sells to addicts.  Millions will buy it.
    Blizzard will not innovate in any meaningful way because the masses do not demand it.  The masses have spoken: they will pay for more of the same quite happily.
    And you know what?  If I were Blizzard I'd be working on more of the same too.  When you have a giant money printing machine, you don't f***k around with it.

Sadly I believe this is true, the masses of ppl that play wow and happyly going to buy the expansion continuing to pay their subscriptions is the reason that blizzard wont publish wow 2 or any other mmo anytime soon as they recently announced. Its our own  fault if we are not demanding enough to make game companies rise their fat asses and produce better games with better features etc. I personally liked playing wow a lot and would love to see another mmo from the same companie soon, but I dont think it gonna happen since the masses are just to easy to satisfy by getting served  the same shit in form of expansions with no real new features or improvements. That way they will never make some new mmo. Anyway I hope WAR, AoC etc. will wake them up.

You guys are ridiculous - a company comes out with an awesome game ... They try to keep updating and make changes as needed, dump time and money into research and development, come out with a new class, update  the talents and professions fairly regularly, raise the level cap, add more and more....

And all you guys can do is bitch and complain about what wow isn't... very annoying and lame....

Over and over again - why dontcha go start another post about how many subs wow has or hasn't and then one on how wow is going to loose x amount of subs to some other game etc...

wow how generous, all the things you mentioned are NOT new features, just 'expanding' whats already there, keeping up the time sinks.  omg omg they give us new talents and some new and completely useless recipes to grind, really great, rofl.

"dump time and money into research and development"

now this made me rofl even more. FYI only 10-15% of  the blizzard stuff is working on wow.

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

Originally posted by Mentat

wow how generous, all the things you mentioned are NOT new features, just 'expanding' whats already there, keeping up the time sinks.  omg omg they give us new talents and some new and completely useless recipes to grind, really great, rofl.

"dump time and money into research and development"

now this made me rofl even more. FYI only 10-15% of  the blizzard stuff is working on wow.

Actually the new class is a completely new feature.  It has a different combat model, completely new talent trees, it's even different in the fact that you have to complete a quest chain to unlock the class and the fact that class will not start out at level 1 like all the existing classes.  And could you please give me an exact head count of how many total work for Blizzard and how many are working on WoW?  And if you can please provide a breakdown by department, like how many programmers, artists, level designers and so on.  Oh and let me know that information about Starcraft II as well.  This is great information.  Don't worry I won't let anyone know you told me or where I got the information.

• ratariarataria Member Posts: 93

same old same old, but in 2015 some people will still be playing wow, since some people still play diablo.

• akritasakritas Member Posts: 76

Was in an interview with a senior guy from blizz at curse-gaming iirc.

He said they have about 300 people (developers, etc.)  altogether and I recall he said about 40-50 of them are on wow, about the same on starcraft II, etc. The point was he didnt reveal on what  50 of them are working atm - blizzards future secret game it seems. The figures seems quite logical to me tbh.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Originally posted by Antipathy

If I was up in court I'd hate to have you on the jury. The prosecution would read it's opening statement and you'd be yelling "Hang him. Hang him now".
    The expansion isn't out yet. We don't yet know how good it is.
    Warhammer Online isn't out yet. We don't yet know if it's serious competition for WoW or yet another entry in the long list of failed MMOs.

we know how good tbc wasn't.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Originally posted by rataria

same old same old, but in 2015 some people will still be playing wow, since some people still play diablo.

and pong, tetris and solitaire.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

I'm just glad we're done with this awful alien enviroment desing and that hidious tempest keep rave party crap.

• TiiKiiTiiKii Member UncommonPosts: 163

Yes, I voted to buy the xpac..

I spent over 8yrs with EQ.. I see no reason why I won't spend 8yrs with Wow also

Sure WoW is on my "Love - Hate List" for many reasons, but so also.. was EQ.

The only real bitch I have with WoW is the 'Nerb-Bat' syndrome they keep freely throwing around. It has been thrown so many times, I believe people are starting to go.. "Huh?!"

For a time, I am hoping Blizzard just drops the nerb-bat for awhile, if for no other reason than.. to let people breath!

Every time a nay-sayer starts QQing, blizzard jumps in and breaks another class.. stop already guys

Anyhoo

My opinion only..

Happy Holidays to those who celebrate them!

Peace Out

"Huntress"

Originally posted by TiiKii

Yes, I voted to buy the xpac..
    I spent over 8yrs with EQ.. I see no reason why I won't spend 8yrs with Wow also
    Sure WoW is on my "Love - Hate List" for many reasons, but so also.. was EQ.
    The only real bitch I have with WoW is the 'Nerb-Bat' syndrome they keep freely throwing around. It has been thrown so many times, I believe people are starting to go.. "Huh?!"
    For a time, I am hoping Blizzard just drops the nerb-bat for awhile, if for no other reason than.. to let people breath!
    Every time a nay-sayer starts QQing, blizzard jumps in and breaks another class.. stop already guys
    Anyhoo
    My opinion only..
    Happy Holidays to those who celebrate them!
    Peace Out

I couldn't hang with EQ for that long.  I quit after 2.5 years, time has frayed my memory and I am tempted to make my wife play EQ now ;P

• ZsasZZsasZ Member Posts: 208

Of course I'm going to buy it! New hairstyles FTW!

All kidding aside... I probably will buy it. I think a lot of people are expecting a bit much from an expansion pack. The idea isn't to re-write the game, it's to take the parts of the game that work and make them better, and to take the parts that don't and fix them. From what little details I've seen about the x-pac, I think it'll do exactly that. Will some people gripe about it? Of course. Will they buy it anyway? Most of them probably will. They'll get sucked into the gravitational pull that is WoW, and justify it by saying they already have WoW and TBC, and thier guildmates will tease them if they can't access the new instances...

...or maybe that's just me.

Evil will always win, because Good is dumb.

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755
    Originally posted by mo0rbid

This is TBC all over again. I skipped that expansion for one, Ill prob get lich king

my reason for skipping TBC was that I raided Naxx, tbc destroyed all I'd worked for.

Sorry buddy, but  Naxx epics are on par with level 70 blues for the most part.

Originally posted by ZsasZ

Of course I'm going to buy it! New hairstyles FTW!
    All kidding aside... I probably will buy it. I think a lot of people are expecting a bit much from an expansion pack. The idea isn't to re-write the game, it's to take the parts of the game that work and make them better, and to take the parts that don't and fix them. From what little details I've seen about the x-pac, I think it'll do exactly that. Will some people gripe about it? Of course. Will they buy it anyway? Most of them probably will. They'll get sucked into the gravitational pull that is WoW, and justify it by saying they already have WoW and TBC, and thier guildmates will tease them if they can't access the new instances...
    ...or maybe that's just me.
    Yes, Hair Styles as a selling point..... 

I understand it's an X-pac, but an X-pac that offers little in the way of evolutionary change merely more grind and more grind and oh.. did they mention?   WoW: WoTLK!  Now with 150% MORE GRINDAGE!

Yeah... no.   I'll wait and play a new MMO, either WAR or AoC... okay WAR.  Not gonna bother with AoC.

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

WoW is getting their money.  There will be no wow killer in the near future, so I think what WoW needs is a good contender.  Someone that threatens them a bit, therefore Blizzard will maybe start thinking a bit outside of the box.

WoW just needs a contender.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

Originally posted by MaeEye

WoW is getting their money.  There will be no wow killer in the near future, so I think what WoW needs is a good contender.  Someone that threatens them a bit, therefore Blizzard will maybe start thinking a bit outside of the box.

WoW just needs a contender.
    But you miss the point.  WoW DOES have a competitor, two right now actually.

EQII and LoTR.  Both are PvE centric games.  Both are fairly well done, cleanly done, with solid gameplay.  But neither of them have the draw of WoW.  Why is that?  You can argue that they lack that "Magic" of WoW, but you'd be wrong.  

What they lack is a real reason to quit WoW.  Why quit the grind and start over for another PvE grind when you have that all ready in a system you know?  

What WoW lacks is an alternative that breaks the PvE gear grind mold.   AoC and WAR are both of different in their goals, play styles and focus.   That I think will be the siphon that bleeds WoW. 

• SophistSophist Member Posts: 171

Originally posted by jason_webb

Originally posted by JonnyWarhawk

I quit WoW a while ago so I probably shouldn't be answering this poll. However, hearing about the expansion scenario is part of the reason I quit. COMPLETELY erasing all of your work once a year is a horrible idea. The game brought great things to the MMO world but it's time for it to pass. We need new games to rise.

OK, i still don't get this arguement, even after seeing it a thousand times on these boards. Would you have been happy to sit around in the same gear at the same level for the next five years?? Explain it to me please!

.....and 'once a year?' The first expansion was nearly two years in and the second will be about 18 months on from there, with big content patches in between both of them, that is a fair amount of time to wear through the existing content.

Simple instead of designing higher lvl content you design content equal to the existing content.

Just cause you don't make lvl 70 mobs for the expantion dosn't mean you don't have anything to develop. How bout designing new raids maybe more intense in nature. (more mobs/at a faster rate) and so on.

IMO they should have made the game liniar to lvl 60 then insted of moving up and making things stronger they should have moved horizontally and made more lvl 60 content and made it harder in the sens of ability and tactics not gear dependent.

Thats just one of the things they screwed up IMO.

I play but only till something else comes along to fill that void.

"The most important thing is to have the design support the players in setting their own goals in both cooperative and competitive interaction with one another." - Ironore -

Originally posted by Sophist

Originally posted by jason_webb

Originally posted by JonnyWarhawk

I quit WoW a while ago so I probably shouldn't be answering this poll. However, hearing about the expansion scenario is part of the reason I quit. COMPLETELY erasing all of your work once a year is a horrible idea. The game brought great things to the MMO world but it's time for it to pass. We need new games to rise.

OK, i still don't get this arguement, even after seeing it a thousand times on these boards. Would you have been happy to sit around in the same gear at the same level for the next five years?? Explain it to me please!

.....and 'once a year?' The first expansion was nearly two years in and the second will be about 18 months on from there, with big content patches in between both of them, that is a fair amount of time to wear through the existing content.

Simple instead of designing higher lvl content you design content equal to the existing content.

Just cause you don't make lvl 70 mobs for the expantion dosn't mean you don't have anything to develop. How bout designing new raids maybe more intense in nature. (more mobs/at a faster rate) and so on.

IMO they should have made the game liniar to lvl 60 then insted of moving up and making things stronger they should have moved horizontally and made more lvl 60 content and made it harder in the sens of ability and tactics not gear dependent.

Thats just one of the things they screwed up IMO.

I play but only till something else comes along to fill that void.

They have a built in war they could explore.   Take Horde Vs. Alliance to a new level.    Created an entire set of zones to fight over ala WAR, with a lot of new ways to progress around such a war, zones to control...   That's just one example of a horizontal expansion/direction they could go with.

Instead they just force you to grind for hundreds of hours just to put on new gear.   It's more of the same with very little in the way of innovation or evolution.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

It will probably come out close to Warhammer online.  They are probably planning that to compete with Warhammer's release and get some players to come back that might have gone to Warhammer.  That probably means it will be rushed.  I think with an MMO as old as WoW the population will steadily decline and then shoot up again with an expansion. 

WoW's expansions almost take as long to complete as the original first game and can be fun.  If you want new experiences in WoW then you will buy the expansion.  They just need to figure out something with their 'raid end game dungeons for 6 months to get awesome gear, but then we will release an expansion pack and you will have to do it again'.  If this is their game plan they need to redo their end game. 

I think right about then almost everyone will at least try Warhammer.  If it is put out polished and well done then the expansion might be a huge flop...  Otherwise it will reign supreme.

• stabemzstabemz Member Posts: 132

im going to buy it, maybe it willl bring back the game like it use to be pre-BC. Il give bill another chance.