Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They've come far in 4 years.

outlaw101outlaw101 Member Posts: 351

I'm just curious how they came to think of such a great MMO idea, And to near complete it in 4 years is amazing, I guess they took everything you can and can't do from MMO'S today and made it a realization..

In games you can have mounts, But you can't take them by force, Lets have that.

No mmo has ship combat, we'll take that aswell.

What they're doing is great, they're going where no MMO has succesfully gone before.

And i love it, Great work guys :D

"Don't hold breath about another KOTOR game coming from Bioware" - Chris Preistly

"Bioware is more intrested in pursueing development of it's own Intellectual properties"

- James Henly

Comments

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

I don't know a whole lot about past development of this game, but I'm pretty sure they've spent a lot more than 4 years working on it.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

Actually there are games with ship combat, and this game has been in dev for a long long time

• outlaw101outlaw101 Member Posts: 351

Which MMO's have first/third person ship combat?

"Don't hold breath about another KOTOR game coming from Bioware" - Chris Preistly

"Bioware is more intrested in pursueing development of it's own Intellectual properties"

- James Henly

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Originally posted by outlaw101

Which MMO's have first/third person ship combat?
    None have.

And none with multi personal crew either.

• malachidarkmalachidark Member Posts: 93

Yeah this game has been in development for a loooong time and is nowhere near completion, it's not even in Beta yet. They had that clan beta recruitment that was supposed to start in October of 2006 I believe, I dunno what happened.

By the time the game is actually released, all the features in it won't be amazing because they'll either be in a different game already, or not exciting because they'll be expected.

For Darkfall to be a good game, it HAS to have those features. It's expected. It HAS to have something to top the other games currently out there.

Currently Playing: Tabula Rasa
    Gaming History: EQ, EQ2, SWG, EVE, Anarchy Online, CoX, GW, SRO, Rakion, Ryzom, WoW, Rappelz, Shadowbane, 9Dragons, DAoC, Dungeon Runners, DnD Online, Space Cowboy, LotRO, Vanguard, Fury, Hellgate
    Wanting to Play: WAR, TCoS, Darkfall, Aion

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

Originally posted by daarco
    Originally posted by outlaw101 Which MMO's have first/third person ship combat?
    None have.
    And none with multi personal crew either.

I was under the impression Vanguard has ship combat.

Although to be fair, Darkfall has been in development since before VG, I believe.

I didn't know vanguard has ship combat, sounds good. It's a pitty the lag and massive requirements ruin would could of been a great game.

- James Henly

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Vanguard could have been i really good MMO, to sad it didnt go all the way.

And other games will gave DF features in the next couple of years?? ROFL

No way. If no other MMO developer  even dares to think about it.....since 2001.....there wont come one. We will see mant WoW clones thou.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

NDA, sorry

Originally posted by Hrica

NDA, sorry

Translation = None.

- James Henly

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

This is one of those curious troll posts that the OP seems to have some sort of agenda or need to convince people that DF has only been under development for less time than it actually has.

I'm really not sure what the motivation is....or why it should matter.

The evidence is really clear on this point.... DF has been under development since at least 2001..... maybe even back to 2000.

www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/darkfall/news.html

The next post that will follow from the OP will be the argument that this might be true, however the team decided to start over back in 2003, hence the 4 year estimate.

Again, not sure why this is important to the discussion, the games real development still began back in 2001 (or earlier).

But again...why the need to create a thread like this..(as has been done so many times previously)..... other than to serve as lightning rod for combative posts?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SLI2000SLI2000 Member Posts: 104

Came far in four years?  Well If you consider releasing a few videos that look like nothing more than early alpha tid bits... then ya I suppose they came far..

Originally posted by Kyleran

This is one of those curious troll posts that the OP seems to have some sort of agenda or need to convince people that DF has only been under development for less time than it actually has.
    The evidence is really clear on this point.... DF has been under development since at least 2001..... maybe even back to 2000.
    The next post that will follow from the OP will be the argument that this might be true, however the team decided to start over back in 2003, hence the 4 year estimate.
    Again, not sure why this is important to the discussion, the games real development still began back in 2001 (or earlier).
    But again...why the need to create a thread like this..(as has been done so many times previously)..... other than to serve as lightning rod for combative posts?

For something that doesn't matter you sure seem to be making a big deal about it. No trolls welcome here, please don't post again, thanks.

- James Henly

• Shadow786Shadow786 Member UncommonPosts: 210

For something that doesn't matter you sure seem to be making a big deal about it. No trolls welcome here, please don't post again, thanks.

Ive seen Kyleran posting in mmorpg many times (That caturday picture is stuck in my head) so he knows what he is on about. There is no reason to tell him not to post here he voiced his opinion as i am doing, and the only reason hes "making a big deal" out of it is because like he said this thread has been donbe many times before and its not going to get anyone anywhere. No new information just threads trying to keep the game alive, when its dead (presumably)
    Originally posted by Shadow786

Ive seen Kyleran posting in mmorpg many times (That caturday picture is stuck in my head) so he knows what he is on about. There is no reason to tell him not to post here he voiced his opinion as i am doing, and the only reason hes "making a big deal" out of it is because like he said this thread has been donbe many times before and its not going to get anyone anywhere. No new information just threads trying to keep the game alive, when its dead (presumably)

Indeed, I guess because someone posts a-lot it makes them know what they're talking about, your correct.

- James Henly

• TedDansonTedDanson Member Posts: 513

Indeed, I guess because someone posts a-lot it makes them know what they're talking about, your correct.

You're...

Anyways, how far have they come in 4 years? There are no videos highlighting the content that you speak of, nor is there any beta on the horizon, nor is there anything to actually lend to the reality that this game exists at all.

Do a wikipedia lookup for the word "Vaporware" and you will see Darkfall on the list that comes up....spooky ain't it?

Do a google search for;

Asp darkfall review

darkfall dev journals

darkfall videos

darkfall screenshots

Spooky ain't it?

- James Henly

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Well of course not, but in my case it would be true. 

Seriously, why did I bother to debunk your incorrect thread/post? Because I'm actually a fan of  DF and I really  am looking forward to playing this game. (if/when its released)

That said, I feel that posts like the OP's actually portray the game in a bad light and people may be turned off from trying it if they feel the game will be full of people like this.

And why wouldn't a troll-like response be appropriate for your trolling original post?  You have no other agenda for making it..so you should welcome my enlightened interest in it. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vaporware

Darkfall Online - A MMORPG that was first announced in 2001,[1] and has been dogged by speculation due to the lack of definite information and publicity.
    Dawn - Roleplaying game touted to be the best to ever exist. Website consisted of generic-looking GIFs and videos of water effects.[2]

lol right next to each other 

Do you think anyone is still waiting for Dawn? :)

I'm just glad darkfall isn't vaporware.

- James Henly

Have you told yourself that every night before you go to bed for the past 6 years? 

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

I have to second that one. I've read quite a few of Kyleran's posts, too... And although I may not have agreed on a few of his accusations (which he does sparingly, as far as I know), he seems quite a levelheaded fellow.

OK, I'll give you that you might not be really trolling here... But mentioning "4 years" in the title when the subject has been one of constant inflammation on these boards, and following it up with the argument that "the developers have come far", which is just as much so, it may seem as though you're asking for it.

• TedDansonTedDanson Member Posts: 513

Do a google search for;

Asp darkfall review

darkfall dev journals

darkfall videos

darkfall screenshots
    Spooky ain't it?
    First of all, let me just clear the air on one thing, inviting someone that is NOT a part of the CREDIBLE media (I.E. Asp) to come look at your game is not a good way to get hype. For all I know Asp could've been paid to write a glorious review of the same screenshots and videos we have all seen 100 million times and spin it as if he actually played (which I am 100% convinced he did not).

Second, 3-4 year old screens/videos of out dated graphics do not mean anything. Just look at the history of the MMO genre. Ultima X, Ultima online 2, Dawn, Mourning, Middle earth online...the list goes on and on. All of these games had screenshots, and vids and are any of them out?

All of those had much nicer looking screenshots then DF too. 

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

Originally posted by Hrica

NDA, sorry

Translation = None.

Until I see it in Darkfall, I'm going to say your "None" includes Darkfall as well.  In fact, I haven't seen a whole lot of anything creditable about Darkfall -- just a lot of assumptions and promises.