Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG edits & bans posts too much.

Why is it that you cannot post anything remotely negative about a game (even if it is the truth) without getting slap-on-the-wrist bans?

People come here for all sorts of reasons, some unfortunately do troll.  But the majority of gamers come here for people's opinions.  Both the positive and the negative.

MMORPG staff:  Stop with the wrist-slapping... its dumb.  Now, do i get a ban for this too?  GG  If you value your cred you should stop neutering opinion.  Otherwise it looks like you just bend to the will of the game developers, which would be very very sad.

Comments

• RedwoodSapRedwoodSap Member Posts: 1,235

I think they just brought on board a bunch of rookie moderators recently so expect the bans and deletions and warnings and thread locks to increase. Kids get off on powertripping.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

It's all about the presentation.

Of course you can say bad things about a game you dislike, but you must do so in a way that is not childish and rude / crude etc. etc.

Many, many people find it very difficult to express their disapproval of something/someone without tending to fall too far into the negativity column.

Constructive criticism is one of the most difficult concepts to excel at, because after all it is still criticism.

It's very hard for a person to hear someone say to them, "I really don't like you, and here is why.." no matter HOW professional, constructive, and polite the other person is. They still don't like you, plain and simple.

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863

Well you can post your "opinion" on a game just as long as you don't use any vulgar language. I recieved 3 temporary suspended warnings based on how I would conduct a responce on certain matters regarding how I felt about a certain game.

I agree that the ADMINS can be a little to,,,,phinicky and strict with what we the people are allowed to say regarding these games.. I feel its hilarious that theses "Mods" are here basically to babysit and monitor everything we say.. It's hilarious but also ridiculous.

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Hmm.....there's not much I'm an authority on...but posting on these forums is something I have a bit of experience in..... 

In all that time.... one outright 1 day ban for flaming another poster (who deserved it..but ...) and another warning which I successfully appealed.

I put forth that if your post is banned and deleted the fault lies with you, the poster, and not the moderators.  I have been openly critical of both games and other posters on these forums...and never had anything deleted.  Its not luck, its all in the presentation.

I have no fear that I could openly criticize any game on these forums, and never get deleted unless I became overly rude, obsessive, or repetitive about my point.  Those will get you deleted...especially if my posts start to border on fanaticism as some folks do.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NetzokoNetzoko Member Posts: 1,271

Originally posted by Black_Elvis

Why is it that you cannot post anything remotely negative about a game (even if it is the truth) without getting slap-on-the-wrist bans?
    People come here for all sorts of reasons, some unfortunately do troll.  But the majority of gamers come here for people's opinions.  Both the positive and the negative.
    MMORPG staff:  Stop with the wrist-slapping... its dumb.  Now, do i get a ban for this too?  GG  If you value your cred you should stop neutering opinion.  Otherwise it looks like you just bend to the will of the game developers, which would be very very sad.

I agree 100%.

The mods here have the reading comprehension of 12 year olds. You probably will get a ban for this, sadly.

They handle the forums like garbage. They think that sitting us in time out for 3 days like we're 4 years old again will clean up the forums. It also kills me how the "edit" certain parts of our posts. It's worse than the fecking FCC. They rule what we can and cannot say, and change our own text. Free speech my ass.

-------------------------

• jsw40jsw40 Member Posts: 214

The banning IS really bad on these forums.

I never really give critique anymore because the last time I called a combat system moronic I got a PM from a moderator. It's way over-the-top.

Originally posted by jsw40

The banning IS really bad on these forums.
    I never really give critique anymore because the last time I called a combat system moronic I got a PM from a moderator. It's way over-the-top.

Correct. I'm afraid to voice my opinion.

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

There is a thin line to been strict and been too slack I think they got the balance just right. They have a code of conduct if people would read it more often then less posts would be removed. I have seen some forums totally hectic full of silly posts and flame wars all over the place will not name the forums and I never go there because of the amount of silly posts.

I have seen alot of deleted posts and I have seen the posts before they got deleted and think that the ones I have seen to have been fairly deleted. I would rather the mods do there jobs and enforce the code of conduct than just let these forums turn out like other forums I used to goto in the past.

Also as for "freedom of speech" mmorpg.com does not only cater to Americans. People all over the world use it, this is why they have a code of conduct. What may apear ok to one part of the world, may not to the other. So for things to work and not turn into flame wars and just total spam leaving you with forums with no good posts a code of conduct is in place.

Found here :)

http://mmorpg.com/disclaimers.cfm#conduct

• xray00xray00 Member Posts: 202

I've had my fair share of disagreements with posters and dislikes about a game that I have voiced.  I have yet to be penalized for it.  It is all about how you conduct yourself and word your posts.  If you call someone a moron because they say something you disagree with then yes, you deserve a warning and if you repeat it you deserve a ban.  On the other hand if you simply tell the guy you disagree and list your reasons (or don't even list your reasons) then no one is going to bat an eye.

There is never a reason to resort to name calling.  When you do you have brought any actions that result down on yourself.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Criticism - The Definition.
    I think the fellows below you in that thread pretty much shut you down.

Sorry bud.

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776
    Originally posted by Netzoko

They rule what we can and cannot say, and change our own text. Free speech my ass.

No such thing as free speech on a privately owned messageboard.  Those posting within the guidelines set by mmorpg.com (and sites like it) are usually happy campers.  There are hundreds of thousands of places out there on the the internet where people can vent their spleens, I suggest finding one that suits your posting style.

• Black_ElvisBlack_Elvis Member Posts: 188

I'm not saying there shouldn't be limits.  Flame-wars and trolling are counter-productive not only to members/lurkers but also to the site's reputation as a whole.

That being said, they use the banstick a bit much and I don't see a whole lot of disagreement on that point.

I'm not trying to stir the shit-storm here.  I just feel that MMORPG is the premiere place to find honest answers about online games.  I would hate to see that change because of some 15 year old with a power trip hardon.

Not to be funny here but you also posted this in the wrong forum :)

This is for MMORPG Games dicussion this post belongs in the Off-Topic forums :P

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Originally posted by Woopin

You and I both know the Off-topic forums are like the unpopular table in the highschool lunchroom.  Everyone knows it's there but no one gives a damn.

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

You and I both know the Off-topic forums are like the unpopular table in the highschool lunchroom.  Everyone knows it's there but no one gives a damn.

With all due respect, you probably should "give a damn" about whether or not you're following our guidelines when you create a thread like this. You're accusing our mods of being too strict and limiting you, but not only do you not follow posting procedure, but when you were made aware of the error (which I assume it was), you actively and publicly choose not to follow it.

Our rules exist for a reason. If you can't follow them, that's your bag. If you feel that a warning or a ban came aginst you unfairly, you can contact our Community Manager at [email protected]. We have procedures in place that would lead to a much speedier resolution if you follow them rather than creating a thread in the wrong forum to voice your displeasure.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• megafluxmegaflux Member Posts: 70

it didn't get nasty till the stupid lotro ad's appeared, ever since then they whack any post that is the least bit negative/offensive. as far as im concerned they lost 50% of all cred they had by even using the lotro ad's.

they really aren't functioning as forums if people cant exchange ideas and have an equal say, may as well change the url to "mmorpghype.com" at the rate things are going. i dont even see whats wrong with crude language honestly, i could see if it was n*bomb this and mother F* that, but to simply say crap is NOT that offensive (ok maybe to the people who are hyping TR to save their lives), would using the word feces make it more acceptable? poo poo perhaps? there just arent that many ways to say crap without actually saying it (tho im thinking "garriott" might make a nice substitution from now on).

as long as it isn't outright slanderous or racist i dont see why ANY post should be deleted or edited. if the server is based in the USA it should follow all laws thereof, if they want to run it like communist china maybe they should relocate, ofcourse i feel that about all game servers as well.

fact is this place is a buisness, and we can always vote with our dollars (no really game companies aren't down to pay for ad's on sites that get like 7 hits a day) . cant expect them to act un-biased, we dont pay them the game companies do.

Originally posted by megaflux

it didn't get nasty till the stupid lotro ad's appeared, ever since then they whack any post that is the least bit negative/offensive. as far as im concerned they lost 50% of all cred they had by even using the lotro ad's.
    they really aren't functioning as forums if people cant exchange ideas and have an equal say, may as well change the url to "mmorpghype.com" at the rate things are going. i dont even see whats wrong with crude language honestly, i could see if it was n*bomb this and mother F* that, but to simply say crap is NOT that offensive (ok maybe to the people who are hyping TR to save their lives), would using the word feces make it more acceptable? poo poo perhaps? there just arent that many ways to say crap without actually saying it (tho im thinking "garriott" might make a nice substitution from now on).
    as long as it isn't outright slanderous or racist i dont see why ANY post should be deleted or edited. if the server is based in the USA it should follow all laws thereof, if they want to run it like communist china maybe they should relocate, ofcourse i feel that about all game servers as well.
    fact is this place is a buisness, and we can always vote with our dollars (no really game companies aren't down to pay for ad's on sites that get like 7 hits a day) . cant expect them to act un-biased, we dont pay them the game companies do.

You fail to get that if this was a "free for all" then the site would loose more people because why visit forums that are in chaos? No one said you can not voice why you hate a game all that is asked is that you follow the rules. You can not say this game sucks without a valid reason. If you said this game sucks it totally crashed my system then you have a valid reason.

MMORPG.com has alot of active users and forum posts for a reason this is because they are well moderated and not full of useless information or gold selling spam or even just people spamming referral links.

Lol, we're all going to get banned for this.

Remember the alamo, boys.

• zensaberzensaber Member UncommonPosts: 787

i don't know, i know last year i never got edited or got deleted, and i barely ever say the deleted post thing but recently it see it on almost every topic. I don't think the new mods have the best skills or experience at this yet. Also it will hurt users if they start banning new or longtime members.

• vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860

I would vote that the bans are happening a lot more frequently now but I wont go into detail for fear of getting muffled again

I will say this- I probably deserved a ban but what is odd- I've never gotten banned for flaiming anyone. But rather- I was banned for posting something that might upset others? So since it appeared I would get banned at least once a month I removed my blogs. being a frequent poster + blogger is a bad combo. So I choose to just be a poster here and when I get banned again it wont be a big deal

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Thread moved to "Site Suggestions" from The Pub.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

Originally posted by Stradden

With all due respect, you probably should "give a damn" about whether or not you're following our guidelines when you create a thread like this. You're accusing our mods of being too strict and limiting you, but not only do you not follow posting procedure, but when you were made aware of the error (which I assume it was), you actively and publicly choose not to follow it.

Our rules exist for a reason. If you can't follow them, that's your bag. If you feel that a warning or a ban came aginst you unfairly, you can contact our Community Manager at [email protected]. We have procedures in place that would lead to a much speedier resolution if you follow them rather than creating a thread in the wrong forum to voice your displeasure.

I don't think he is upset about a particular ban being unjustified, but rather the overall moderation.

Originally posted by Stradden

Yeah but creating a thread accomplishes much, much more.  As you can plainly see by the 3 pages of people basicly telling you to back off on the edits or your site risks loosing credibility.

Its your site, you do WTF you want to.  But all I'm saying is that the emperor isn't wearing clothes.... now people are starting to agree.

Edit: kudos on burying this in the site suggestion section. I'm sure it will get a ton of views.