Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a replacement for Earth and Beyond

FugnudzFugnudz Member Posts: 480

Really like that space game.  Was smooth gameplay, no rush, lots of exploring, a chance to ship goods as an intergalactic truck driver.

And then the game died down.  Guess players flocked away to try SWG's NGE or something.

What is out there that comes close to Earth and Beyond?  What is coming out that might be close?

Please, serious replies only.

Comments

• onemegonemeg Member UncommonPosts: 33

I really miss E&B as well.  I don't know of any other game that compares, but there is a group of people working on an emulator for it.  I've been following it's progress for some time now.  If you want to check it out, go here:

http://www.earthandbeyond.ca/

Take care,

Meg

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Perhaps Jumpgate: Evolution will cut it?

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

Might try EVE as well. I know they were sending out invitations to E&B players when the game was shutting down.

Boy do I miss that game.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• Whiskey6Whiskey6 Member Posts: 58

Jumpgate is interesting but with the open PvP and Newtonian Flight model it doesn't compare to EnB, it does have an appeal though. The current community is a very small and tight knit bunch a large influx of subscribers would ruin that though. I'll go back and see what the revamp does for it.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I played E&B from launch but left after 3 months to play Jumpgate.  It was a great game  and I loved every minute of it. However the complete lack of any sort of PvP made me leave since I maxed out my levels.  Jumpgate kept me going until EVE came out.  3.5 years later I am still playing EVE as there is a complete lack of any other game out there that could challenge it like E&B.  I personally believe the lack of PvP in E&B was its downfall.  I knew several guildies who left because they maxed out like me and well....whats the point of playing after that? 

There are a few options coming out.  Jumpgate (revamped), Infinity and I saw some developers working on a Jumpgate copy but looks more specky.   Even though I loved E&B games like jumpgate (albeit small population now) and EVE have been going strong for 4 years plus and this is due to PvP.  Even if you are not into fighting its still an adrenalin rush running trade and outsmarting griefers / pirates.  Whats the point of having the biggest guns in the world if you can only shoot NPC's? 

Even so if E&B was relaunched I would play still......then probably leave again once maxing. 

• DrafellDrafell Member Posts: 588

Has anyone tried DarkSpace?

It may not be the biggest game out there, but it is unique, although I am admittedly biased in this regard being a voluntary member of the development team.

Try it...

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319

I thought about Eve after E&B died, but I didn't like the idea of PvP. Lately I thought about Eve again and if anything the PVP is worse and the game is very ruthless. E&B was a game where I could relax and mine for hours. It was very zen like and I didn't have to worry. In a PvP environment, I'd always have to worry about gankers, grievers, and even other players. No thanks!

Give me a space game where I can leave my ship and relax.

• Kez95Kez95 Member UncommonPosts: 53

Though it's not 3D like EnB was, www.pardus.at is a fun browser based space game based on action points rather than playing for 24 hours a day.

I too had a lot of fun with EnB, but haven't found any 3D space game yet that I have liked.  I would think if someone did a space setting not like Eve or SWG, it would make for a great MMORPG.

MMORPGs are virtual skinner boxes.

http://www.nickyee.com/eqt/skinner.html

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Alverant,

Not sure how much you know about EVE's PvP system.  I have been playing for almost 4 years and I have been destroyed by another player only twice and I have killed only 1 other player in that time.  The reason for this is the whole universe has a security rating system.  1.0 - .00 Any system with .5 - 1.0 is basically safe and is guarded by NPC security. If any player shoots you then a whole lot of pain is inflicted on them.  So basically as a miner / builder I tend to do a lot of afk mining and the worst thing you can expect is some crappy npc frigates attacking.  EVE represents the real world in some ways.  For example if you live in London (safe space) you will see probably 1 murder a week but you would get hunted like a dog by police.  However if you live in Iraq there would be 60+ deaths a day (unsafe space) with little or no protection at all.   Funny enough its normally fighting over rare resources...

The best thing about EVE is that i still can do some heavy combat missions in safe space.  So really it depends what path you wish to take.  Besides even in unsafe space you can pretty much get around without dying.  You can warp directly to a gate then jump instantly which has killed off the campers.  Combat is there for corporations that are fighting on remote resource rich territory. Its up to you if you want to get involved. 

Safe space is about 10 times bigger than all of E&B ever had so you hardly get cramped either. 

Hope this has changed your idea of PvP in Eve slightly :)

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680
    Originally posted by Fugnudz

Originally posted by BaronJuJu

Might try EVE as well. I know they were sending out invitations to E&B players when the game was shutting down.

Boy do I miss that game.

EVE is for fiktards, but thanks for the suggestion.

And what exactly is that?

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

• SpallieroSpalliero Member Posts: 147

Seriously Earth and Beyond had massive potential and was pretty fun! Yeah everyone left for SWG, and look at that now!

I know of nothing like Earth and Beyond comming out, or out. Some might say Eve, I don't see it.

Sic Luceat Lux

• ZanetanosZanetanos Member Posts: 146

I really do miss EnB.  It was such a fun game.  I hate EA for shutting it down. 

On the bright side, the Emulator does actually look like it's coming along.

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680
    Originally posted by Spalliero

Seriously Earth and Beyond had massive potential and was pretty fun! Yeah everyone left for SWG, and look at that now!

I know of nothing like Earth and Beyond coming out, or out. Some might say Eve, I don't see it.

Out of curiosity why is this so?

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

• SpallieroSpalliero Member Posts: 147

When I played Earth and Beyond it was mostly questing, akin to say EQ in space (insert echo here). Eve is more economy, and goods allocation imho.

I am by no means an expert on Eve, but I've played it to an extent. That was my experience.

Sic Luceat Lux

• nurglesnurgles Member Posts: 840

there is no doubt that lot of eve is the economy and PvP. However if you stick to high sec space then you can mine in relative safety as the reward from ganking a miner hoes not outweigh the reward, your main problem would be ore thieves for which there are work arounds. There is questing, but it is not hugely eveolved, the introduction of lvl 5 (implinented) and 6 (comming) missions are centered around the need for gangs to form up (no more sloloing) and they are all in low sec space, putting more players into non-consentual PvP. Meaning a drive for more people working together and sharing intel and forming security teams to defend against piratical players.

not for everyone i am sure, but i like it.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

EvE Online.

I'm also an ex-E&B player and EvE is the closest thing to it (And quite enjoyable).

• IndoIndo Member Posts: 252

I beta'd Eve and played for about 6 months after launch (admittedly, haven't been back since). The only thing Eve and EnB have in common is that they both take place in space. That's it. A game where you can advance your toon by not playing made me giggle. People that love EnB probably won't like Eve and vice versa. But if you are tired of swinging a sword, give Eve a try simply because there's not much else out there for space mmo fans. I too miss EnB......

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

Stop talking about Eve you are making em want to resub lol

EnB was awesome I hope the emulator works out and becomes what we all loved.

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540

I miss e&b severly, eve imo is nothing like enb, it is a totally different space mmo, i do hope jumpgate evolutions will be close, I would really like too see an earth and beyond 2, lets all write ea-games and suggest that.

playing eq2 and two worlds

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

Originally posted by boognish75

lets all write ea-games and suggest that.

Unfortunately it has been done many a times. EA always says "No". There was a post on the EQ forums a few months back trying to get EA to bring back E&B. Last time I saw it, it was past 100 pages long.

They still said No.

I, like you, am going to keep an eye on Jumpgate and see how that progresses. The MMO arena really does need a non-large name IP sci-fi game to enter the arena. EVE was interesting for a time, but it just wasn't what I was looking for.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• MiexonMiexon Vendetta Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 181

My replacement for Earth and Beyond has been Vendetta Online for the time being. I might be looking into trying EVE again but not sure.

I've been following a few Earth and Beyond related projects, rumors, and websites off of my own website.

News Center Net-7

Member of the Phoenix Alliance Guild
    in Vendetta Online
    www.vendetta-online.com

• NismoGTRNismoGTR Member Posts: 35

You have to try Tabula Rasa, yeah it's not exactly a "space" game like EVE, and exploration is not the name of the game, but the environment is incredible and huge, and doing missions is very non-grinding for getting xp at a nice pace, PvP is optional so no camping griefers to worry about but then there are AI enemy that can drop down anytime anywhere so you don't really need that, and defending and assaulting bases is so freaking fun with other players who happened to be near you, it's like a real battlefield, players just unite together on a moments notice and fight against the enemy, combat is crazy fun. Only some missions are instanced so the environment is open sandbox, and you never felt so good to see other players in your path in a remote location and most of them help you out when you are stuck with a bunch of alien monsters trying to kill you. So you don't really have to join a clan to feel a sense of community in TR, if you are inside a outpost base, you are bound to join in on the action with other players. You will so like this game. 

• MiexonMiexon Vendetta Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 181

sounds like a really cool game, i'll have to look into it for sure.

Member of the Phoenix Alliance Guild
    in Vendetta Online
    www.vendetta-online.com

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

Originally posted by nurgles
    there is no doubt that lot of eve is the economy and PvP. However if you stick to high sec space then you can mine in relative safety as the reward from ganking a miner hoes not outweigh the reward, your main problem would be ore thieves for which there are work arounds. There is questing, but it is not hugely eveolved, the introduction of lvl 5 (implinented) and 6 (comming) missions are centered around the need for gangs to form up (no more sloloing) and they are all in low sec space, putting more players into non-consentual PvP. Meaning a drive for more people working together and sharing intel and forming security teams to defend against piratical players.

not for everyone i am sure, but i like it.

That's all very well and good, but the fact is, the real money is out in low-sec and no-sec. Mining in low-sec means you get the valuable minerals. In fact, you must mine in 0.0 to get Megacyte or any appreciable amounts of Zydrine. You have to mine in low-sec to get any Zydrine at all or any appreciable amounts of Nocxium. That means you'll have difficulty building anything bigger than a frigate if you don't mine 0,0, or pay somebody who does. You'll have difficulty building the larger frigates if you don't mine low-sec, or pay somebody who does.

CHris Mattern

• Bane101Bane101 Member UncommonPosts: 108

I used to play E&B. Great game and really accessible for newbies. Loved the three clear races and the simple classes. Liked the fact it features our own solar system. They also put lots of points of interest in the game so there was plenty to explore if you wanted a rest from combat or trading. Not sure why it failed really.

The problem with Eve is that it's pretty hard to get into at first and the user interface is not great.

Raymondo