Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Irth Worlds Going Free

sethanonsethanon Member Posts: 46

In one week the devs at Irth Worlds will be making the game go free.

Now the game has a bad rap, has always had bugs and incomplete features,there is no denying that, and as a pay to play game that just didn't cut it. The devs just tried to undertake too much and frankly failed.

However as a free game the game should be and will be awsome. The features that do work are quite good, and the world is huge and for the most part very well done. Just due to the bugs it has never had a large player base.

In one week when they go free you really should try it out. Even if you still don't like it what does it hurt? It is free, cost you nothing but time to try it.

I very much believe that as a free game, with a large player base, that this can be a very very good game.

go on over to http://irthworlds.com/ and check it out :)

Please don't turn this thread into a flame fest. if you don't like it or don't want to try it then simply stay away. It is a free game now so just let everyone form their own opinion. No reason to start flaming a game that costs nothing. Anything that happed in the past is in the past and they no longer will be charging, let it go.

Comments

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

I'm surprised the game is actually still alive. how big is the current playerbase?

• sethanonsethanon Member Posts: 46

almost none honestly, people just got tiredof paying for bugs.

I am hoping though that with it going free it will bring back all the old players and get many new ones.

It is a skill based game, tons of different professions, very nice crafting system, housing system that you can decorate your home and others can see it, etc.

Many nice features actually, its just that some just are too incomplete, but I am just really hoping this free campaign is successful.

• VPellenVPellen Member Posts: 215

I remember reading about the early development of Irth before, with a lot of stories about betrayal and copyright infringement and shady dealings and whatnot. Seeing the game turn free because it's not making much money is somewhat curious, to be perfectly honest.

Why did they decide to go free-to-play?

Honestly I don't know, it came as a surprise to me.

I have known from a source that it was a possibility for some time, but  deep down I never really expected them to go free.

Maybe they are hoping if they get a large player base, and slowly get the bugs fixed that at a later time they can reintroduce the pay to play when it is more polished, but that is just guesswork, I really don't know what drove the decision.

• angus858angus858 Member UncommonPosts: 381

I have many fond memories of beta testing Irth.  But at the time it seemed more of an excellent basement project than a comercially viable game.  When players first saw it in open beta testing they flamed it without mercy on sites like this.  I'm afraid that opening the game for free will produce more of the same unless the devs have made a lot of progress since then.

I just registered on their site and will jump back in once the free period begins.  I look forward to seeing what Irth is like now.  I hope others will approach it with a mature attitude and an open mind.  Helping small, independent developers produce their virtual worlds can be an enjoyable experience ... as long as you aren't being asked to pay for the privilege.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Okay, quick question. they sent me an e-mail to tell me the game was going free. But my account details didn't work. So, I registered again, did the validation thing, and it tells me there's no such account.

Anyone else having this problem or any advice?

The actual free play doresn't start for a few more days. They are making changes to the clent to allow for it. If your forum account isn't working it may be that it is validating, might check your email to see if they sent you a verification link orsomething

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by sethanon

The actual free play doresn't start for a few more days. They are making changes to the clent to allow for it. If your forum account isn't working it may be that it is validating, might check your email to see if they sent you a verification link orsomething
    Heh, got it to work. I had the damn capslock key on.

Thanks for the help.