Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

15.11.2005 we'll never forget

Comments

• sinstersinster Member Posts: 118
    Originally posted by Stuhero

Originally posted by Suvroc

Hey, I just had a thought.
    Maybe next year we should all create a trial account and meet up in Coronet.
    It might actually be kinda fun.

We better pick a deserted server so it doesn't crash! :)

so in other words...ANY server!

• Aetius73Aetius73 Member Posts: 1,257

11/15/2005 a day that will forever live in my heart as the day that SOE stole something from their player base that can never be given back choice.

• fozzie22fozzie22 Member Posts: 1,003

Noe this idea is what im talking about it would be fun well till the server went down

• zipitzipit Member Posts: 487

Originally posted by KatanAlpha

Pre 11-15-2005 I was KatanOmega of Corbantis.  I was a Swordsman to be feared.  Many Imperials fell to my Power Hammer.  Post 11-15-2005 I was just another Bounty Hunter in the crowd.  Thats what SOE didn't understand and never will.  Before the NGE our toons were extensions of ourselves, built from scratch to be our vessels in a wide open digital world.  After the NGE, we were just clones.

Damn' glad to see another Corbantis player!!!

Dritzz Darkwood, casualty of SOE...

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742
  • thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

heh would that not be the intention.

one night of trial account sabotage all co-ordinated through the vet forum of mmorpg.

Mission Briefing

To fubar SOE's servers through a reign of anarchy and downright skullduggery.

7:15 all disgruntled vets create a trial account.

7:30 all vets create a toon and log into Bria poof goes the server

7:45 all vets reate a toon and log into eclipse bye bye eclipse

8:00 all vets create atoon and log into starstrider CYA

so on and so on.

I think it would fun and still continues to send the heads of mmo's that game up changes of a mmo's core will never be accepted again.

In stationary mode with VG again until the Ranger changes hit and tried everything else out there so at this point in time i have a lot of pent up anger again towards SOE for taking away the one game ive ever truly called my home.

• NasedooNasedoo Member Posts: 486

Originally posted by zipit

Originally posted by KatanAlpha

Pre 11-15-2005 I was KatanOmega of Corbantis.  I was a Swordsman to be feared.  Many Imperials fell to my Power Hammer.  Post 11-15-2005 I was just another Bounty Hunter in the crowd.  Thats what SOE didn't understand and never will.  Before the NGE our toons were extensions of ourselves, built from scratch to be our vessels in a wide open digital world.  After the NGE, we were just clones.

Damn' glad to see another Corbantis player!!!

Dritzz Darkwood, casualty of SOE...

im a corbantis Vet... use to play till NGE...

Nasedoo: You said traders would get a revamp under my supervision.

Darth Lord Blixtev: I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Originally posted by thamighty213

heh would that not be the intention.

one night of trial account sabotage all co-ordinated through the vet forum of mmorpg.

Mission Briefing

To fubar SOE's servers through a reign of anarchy and downright skullduggery.

7:15 all disgruntled vets create a trial account.

7:30 all vets create a toon and log into Bria poof goes the server

7:45 all vets reate a toon and log into eclipse bye bye eclipse

8:00 all vets create atoon and log into starstrider CYA

so on and so on.

I think it would fun and still continues to send the heads of mmo's that game up changes of a mmo's core will never be accepted again.

In stationary mode with VG again until the Ranger changes hit and tried everything else out there so at this point in time i have a lot of pent up anger again towards SOE for taking away the one game ive ever truly called my home.

Nah, I'd rather not see it become something malicious. I'd much rather see it become a way for us to remember what we had and celebrate good times and old friends.

Maybe just have a reunion party in the cantina. :)

• redriverredriver Member Posts: 124

yes they killed our game and replaced it with NGE instead.. so much we can do 'bout it :/

• cbascbas Member Posts: 111

You know its funny that I checked out this forum today.  I got a "happy birthday message" from SWG craft today and it really made me think back.  My wife had preordered a Hellgate London disk for me.  Got it and you know its alright and everything but its rather vanilla.  Just made me what something more than whats out there today.

I have played lots of games, a very good friend of mine owns a LAN gaming center, and I try out whatever they have in store when we get together for some drinking and gaming. 

I gotta say that no game has really done it for me since SWG preCU. 

People who havent played it often ask why the appeal of preCU SWG?  Well the way it was set up, it had something for everyone.  Crafters, looters, PvPers, RPers everybody.  You could do pretty much whatever you wanted.  It was not just one thing, but how the whole thing worked together.  Really was pretty neat.  Even searching for resources was a game in itself.

Yes it had bugs and F'd up quests but shite had they had just worked on fixing the screwed up quests I'd be a pretty good game. 

Anyhow I have been looking for a game that captured my imagination like preCU SWG for over two years and to date there's nothing out there.

I was thinking maybe Pirates of the Burning Sea but its looking like a EvE on the High Seas so no thanks..

Wish someone would try and capture that magic again. 

I sure miss it.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

I'm with you, not much of interest on the MMO front since SWG tanked.

But I am looking forward to Fallen Earth, it is the only game I have any hope for whatsoever....

• suskesuske Member Posts: 714

Originally posted by Burntvet

I'm with you, not much of interest on the MMO front since SWG tanked.
    But I am looking forward to Fallen Earth, it is the only game I have any hope for whatsoever....

fallen earth: "we don't need no stinkin' lightsticks"

• AarghAargh Member Posts: 37

I remember

I was Alexzander Flynn on Flurry.  I started as a scout.  I remember slowly getting into the game.  I remember a group on Naboo where I watched, for the first time, a Creature Handler tame a creature (A bird of some sort, I can't remember the species).  I stood and watched in fascination as he calmed the beast:  "Easy... Steady... Don't bite me..."  It was amazing.  I knew I had to be a CH.  I mastered CH and remained one for as long as I could. 

I joined a guild where I watched my poor friend grind and grind Tailor because his holocron told him to.  Mine told me to be an Image Designer and then an Artisan which I used to build Swoops for every member of my guild.   And then a Doctor.  I also went Teras Kasi and mastered that as well.  I loved that Master Doc / Master TK combo so much, that I forgot about trying for Jedi for a long time.  I remember buffing up and fighting Rancors for hours on Dathomir.  I had a screenshot of myself in my Doc robes with a vibro-knuckler standing in a circle of about 20 rancor corpses.  I rembered at the time thinking about how scared of them I USED to be. 

I remember hunting with half my guild for Avian meet on Lok for the 20 credits per unit another doctor was paying for it.  I remember Rez being the first guy in our guild to unlock and we were in absolute AWE of him when he showed us his glowstick.  I rember Galaga, our guild leader (of PALS) and how nervous I was because I'd never been in a guild before (it was my first MMO) and he was the coolest, funniest guy - a short, fat, black bothan in pink clothing.  I remember Mics, my best friend IRL and in game always backing me up in a fight and me, him.  I remember him getting ganked once by an imperial player when he was overt and it took me nearly a year to find that same guy overt and exact revenge inside the starport of Coronet.  I nearly died too, but I had to do it.  it was sh*t talking feud up to that point. 

I remember them all.  I may not remember their names, but I remember the impact the game had on me.  It's driven my to persue desiging a game of my own.  I'm doing so now.  And I'm incorporating a lot of what Per-CU SWG was.  I won't be able to make it what we lost but I will, in many ways, honor the Pre-CU.

-- When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather; not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

• Baio2kBaio2k Member UncommonPosts: 162

Huzzah to Pre-CU SWG, a great unique gamin experience.  Long live the emus.

• hubertgrovehubertgrove Member Posts: 1,141

November the 15th 2005, a date that will live in infamy! SOE's biggest - and there were many - mistake was to think that their audience came from the burgeoning WoW sector and not from the equally expanding and even richer 2nd Life sector.

• gadunkgadunk Member UncommonPosts: 164

geeze.. Pre-CU SWG wasn't even that great of a game anyway. Get over it.

Originally posted by gadunk

Firstly, if it wasn't 'that great of a game'. how come thousands of players still log in here and in other gamer sites to protest against the NGE even now, two years later?

Secondly, as for 'Get over it', this is the Vets Refuge. f you don't like the tone or tenor of our posts, leave this forum and find another more suitable to you. Maybe the Final Fantasy forum?

• RazotRazot Member Posts: 81
    Originally posted by Fuhyo

Originally posted by ThalosVipav

Originally posted by Bane82

Those still crying about the NGE need to get out of your parent's basement and get a life.  It's dead, it's not coming back.  No matter how blue your face becomes or how loud you cry, it's not going to bring it back.

And I'm willing to bet that 100% of those that are crying for the Pre-CU to come back were the ones that would flood the SWG forums with whines on how broken the game was in the Pre-CU days.  It's time to take off those rose tinted glasses because Pre-CU was a broken mess. 

Anyone remember losing items when crossing zone lines?  Rubber banding when just trying to travel across a planet?  Or the myriad of broken classes or broken quests?  Yeah, lets bring back the buggy, broken POS that was Pre-CU. 

Fuhyo

A lot of what you're saying is STILL in SWG right now. Apparently you don't understand what it is the vets want. The vets wanted Pre CU to be FIXED!! not ripped apart and turned into the NGE, which is a joke by comparison.

I guess what you don't realize is that the reason why they did the NGE was because they couldn't fix the Pre-CU game.   They would fix one thing and it would cause other things to break.  They couldn't add new things because it would break the game, etc.  Pre-CU SWG was an unfixable POS.  Take off those rose tinted glasses, it's about time you and the others did.

Fuhyo

You are sadley misinformed.

They did have a fix for it. The had a balance system in process. It was called the CURB, they had been working on it for months before they scrapped it for the CU. They could have made the game much better and more stable, HOWEVER, they saw the money WoW was pulling in and decided that their game wasnt easy enough to get new players into. Hence the NGE came about. Dont believe me? Read some of the interviews with Smed and the Dev crew...they have all said it or made reference to it. Get your facts straight before you start trying to discredit other people.

Yes, someone is misinformed and it's not me.

The reason why CURB was dumped for the most part (the combat upgrade was Phase I of CURB) was that it would have been too costly and it wouldn't have really fixed anything without basically re-wrting the game from scratch.  NGE was the less costly option and it allowed them to keep the core game without having to radically change it like CURB would have.  LucasArts and SOE didn't want to spend that kind of man power or money and both companies also misjudged the player base by thinking they wanted more of a "Battlefront" type of game.  Yes, one of the options was to make SWG just like Battlefront but was nixed as a bad idea.

How do I know?  I was a CSR from the time of launch until I moved on to GM another game at SOE shortly after NGE launch.   Those of you that used to grind in the Singing Mountain Caves on Bloodfin might remember some of my raids there to clear the place out.  

Fuhyo

ok that explains it, the CSR's and GM,s at SOE for SWG are and always have been idiots!...

• gadunkgadunk Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Originally posted by hubertgrove

Firstly, if it wasn't 'that great of a game'. how come thousands of players still log in here and in other gamer sites to protest against the NGE even now, two years later?

Secondly, as for 'Get over it', this is the Vets Refuge. f you don't like the tone or tenor of our posts, leave this forum and find another more suitable to you. Maybe the Final Fantasy forum?

Thousands? You mean dozens.

I read somewhere that local politicians use a simple formula of every 1 letter they recieve it accounts for about 5000 others with a similar opinion.

Using that formula then those supposed dozens turns into quite a few people with a similar opinion.

No, I did mean thousands. May I recommend you visit many, many game and gamer sistes, not only those based in the US but across the world, in Europe, in Asia and, of course, in Australia? You will find that anti-NGE SWGers have a strong and continuing presence in the forums of all such sites. Pro-NGEers like yourself make a weaker, more apologetic appearance.

• LinnaLinna Member Posts: 387

No, I did mean thousands. May I recommend you visit many, many game and gamer sistes, not only those based in the US but across the world, in Europe, in Asia and, of course, in Australia? You will find that anti-NGE SWGers have a strong and continuing presence in the forums of all such sites. Pro-NGEers like yourself make a weaker, more apologetic appearance.

I concur. I represent a GUILD, 99% of whom don't even come here, but who still feel the same, and all curse SOE to this day. Vocal minority my ass.

Linna

• MathosMathos Member Posts: 897

Originally posted by Razot

Those still crying about the NGE need to get out of your parent's basement and get a life.  It's dead, it's not coming back.  No matter how blue your face becomes or how loud you cry, it's not going to bring it back.

And I'm willing to bet that 100% of those that are crying for the Pre-CU to come back were the ones that would flood the SWG forums with whines on how broken the game was in the Pre-CU days.  It's time to take off those rose tinted glasses because Pre-CU was a broken mess. 

Anyone remember losing items when crossing zone lines?  Rubber banding when just trying to travel across a planet?  Or the myriad of broken classes or broken quests?  Yeah, lets bring back the buggy, broken POS that was Pre-CU. 

Fuhyo

A lot of what you're saying is STILL in SWG right now. Apparently you don't understand what it is the vets want. The vets wanted Pre CU to be FIXED!! not ripped apart and turned into the NGE, which is a joke by comparison.

I guess what you don't realize is that the reason why they did the NGE was because they couldn't fix the Pre-CU game.   They would fix one thing and it would cause other things to break.  They couldn't add new things because it would break the game, etc.  Pre-CU SWG was an unfixable POS.  Take off those rose tinted glasses, it's about time you and the others did.

Fuhyo

They did have a fix for it. The had a balance system in process. It was called the CURB, they had been working on it for months before they scrapped it for the CU. They could have made the game much better and more stable, HOWEVER, they saw the money WoW was pulling in and decided that their game wasnt easy enough to get new players into. Hence the NGE came about. Dont believe me? Read some of the interviews with Smed and the Dev crew...they have all said it or made reference to it. Get your facts straight before you start trying to discredit other people.

The reason why CURB was dumped for the most part (the combat upgrade was Phase I of CURB) was that it would have been too costly and it wouldn't have really fixed anything without basically re-wrting the game from scratch.  NGE was the less costly option and it allowed them to keep the core game without having to radically change it like CURB would have.  LucasArts and SOE didn't want to spend that kind of man power or money and both companies also misjudged the player base by thinking they wanted more of a "Battlefront" type of game.  Yes, one of the options was to make SWG just like Battlefront but was nixed as a bad idea.

How do I know?  I was a CSR from the time of launch until I moved on to GM another game at SOE shortly after NGE launch.   Those of you that used to grind in the Singing Mountain Caves on Bloodfin might remember some of my raids there to clear the place out.  

Fuhyo

ok that explains it, the CSR's and GM,s at SOE for SWG are and always have been idiots!...

A paid Idiot is the worst kind lol

I know i worked for one rofl

but then there are the payed fanbois and tools but we wont get into that

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Fuhyo

Fuhyo

Fuhyo

From a customer point of view i do NOT have to care about capabilities(or lack of  them) and company internals.

I wanna enjoy  the game i love to play and i wanna features add and see  it somehow grow .

What is highlighted from your post let me rather think the company is not capable to host such a gme and it would be better for  the state of it if it would be pulled away from them.

You see ALL the fails is on side  of the company ,$OE it is   >.<

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

From a customer point of view i do NOT have to care about capabilities(or lack of  them) and company internals.

I totally agree.