Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why runescape is going down the tube...

Comments

• bobdorfbobdorf Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by pk3rpure

When I played runescape in Lumby there was this guy using an auto type program to say  "Selling runescape gold, go to www.rs2goldnow.com" One time there was a mod standing right there, the guy still wasn't banned. If Jagex was so good they would be banning these people. Instead they probaly  have the gold farmers get gold and in return for not banning them they split the profits. This wouldn't unbalance  the RS2  economy more then it already is.

A player mod or a Jagex mod? It makes a difference....player mods can't ban people, but can mute.

EDIT: And to the partnership issue...Jagex wouldn't need to share any profit with anyone. They could easily generate their own gold and sell it themselves, whether directly from their own site or discretely through third-party sites to obscure what they're doing (if they don't want it known). There's no reason at all for them to use macro accounts, or to hire gold farmers.

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

In my 4 years with runescape i have seen alot of  issues... though i do not think that  them selling gold themselves or having bots is one of them.  And even though the bots are annoying and they should try harder to rid themselves of them, i do not think the games biggest issues are that. Why do most people i know leave the game? 1. customer support / abuse sytem... the abuse system is terribly abused that it basically works for the abusers not the victims of abuse. people scam .. the victim gets upset and says things in anger they would not normally say... the con artist reports them.. and has their fellow scammers standing around them report them .. 2 weeks later the scammer is  mod .. yes i have seen it happen first hand .. they didn't scam me ( isn't that gullable) but were scamming right in front of me then wow .. at whips in falyw2 the scammer has a crown next to his name ... scamming whips proudly. yes that was a sad site to see.  Hackers.. no they do not hack the game they hack accounts.. and i too thought that you had to have a keylogger/ virus or give out passwords for it to happen .. but i was wrong. I have never allowed anyone on my accounts and am not some kid that would be stupid enough to give out my information....I don;t even think it was anyone i knew because they would have obviously hacked my higher lvl account instead of my lower one considering they had same pass.. and everyone i knew on my lower acc knew there was no $ on there and knew me on both accs. but sure it was hacked ..  they tried to delete pin , but i caught it and recovered it in time. it was not a short password or a word you could find in the dictionary, and a friend of mine brought it to my attention there is a runescape password guessing program out there.  but what i do see continueally expecially recently an increase in these odd occurance hackings and they could be greatly decreased if jagex actually made an attempt to investigate them further.  and with their appeal system if you are banned unfairly .. for example for giving a friend $ or a gift on the game they call it real world item trading and will refuse all appeals... I have seen alot of that lately, with people i know for a fact would never even think of such a thing.  they are banning your grannies and teachers lol.. a friends parents both banned for giving items to kids. madness i tell you madness!

another big issue as to why a lot of 120+ combat on game leave is the combat and reward system. they torture you not reward you after you get so high. pkin is over with the exception of clan wars after 120.. the higher lvl you get the longer you have to wait .. nothing is harder except how long it takes to do everything. chop magic logs, fish sharks, mine rune ... everything takes soo much longer. like you worked soo hard to just wait for everything to happen.  waiting to me is not fun.. and like while your trying to fish sharks all you do is sit there and wait and it logs you out after a few fish. after working so hard to get the levels in the game it would be nice if they actually gave you something for your efforts and not a useless cape that causes people to follow you around and ask you to do sily emotes .. ( again another punishment)  the catering to the lower levels and ignoring the players that pay for years is not good customer service... those kids complaining about being lvl 40 won't continue paying anyhow... they rant then they leave to go play halo. they have memberships off and on .. not pay for 10 memberships ( like me ). noo they ban me for 3 days for telling a guy that was following me around for 30 min asking me to be his gf " to go shave his back " yes i was seriously banned for that exact  statement  saying that i was abusive to another player... but yet lets make the scammers mods!  i have been hoping another game worth playing will come out so I can pay for 10 memberships there.. but it hasn't arrived.

Originally posted by deviliscious

the victim gets upset and says things in anger they would not normally say... the con artist reports them.. and has their fellow scammers standing around them report them ..

Easy to fix this: don't make offensive statements yourself - just report and ignore-list the tard.

2 weeks later the scammer is  mod .. yes i have seen it happen first hand .. they didn't scam me ( isn't that gullable) but were scamming right in front of me then wow .. at whips in falyw2 the scammer has a crown next to his name ... scamming whips proudly. yes that was a sad site to see. 

Please report anyone and everyone who you find scamming, trading accounts, macroing, etc. Jagex DOES de-mod and ban player moderators regularly (several every week). Jmods are human and do make mistakes when they mod people, but my experiences show me they fix their mistakes ASAP.

Hackers.. no they do not hack the game they hack accounts.. and i too thought that you had to have a keylogger/ virus or give out passwords for it to happen .. but i was wrong. I have never allowed anyone on my accounts and am not some kid that would be stupid enough to give out my information....I don;t even think it was anyone i knew because they would have obviously hacked my higher lvl account instead of my lower one considering they had same pass.. and everyone i knew on my lower acc knew there was no $ on there and knew me on both accs. but sure it was hacked ..  they tried to delete pin , but i caught it and recovered it in time. it was not a short password or a word you could find in the dictionary, and a friend of mine brought it to my attention there is a runescape password guessing program out there. 

Brute-force password 'hacks' do exist, but the person would have to hack/bypass the log-in system (Jagex has a limited log-in sequence that only gives you ~3 tries in any 60 second period). If they didn't somehow bypass the log-in security, they would literally take millenia to bruteforce your password. Change your password once a year and that will never happen to you. Moreover, I've never heard any credible report of a person's account being 'hacked'. If you're being honest about your experience, then I'd say it's much, much, much more likely that someone you know somehow got your password (one of those 10 people you pay for could have seen you type it in, installed a software or hardware keylogger on your system, or guessed your recovery information, for instance...not saying they did, but I do think that's far more likely than someone hacking your lower level account specifically - a good barometer of account security generally is that the top-Hiscore people would make much better targets, yet you never hear of them being hacked).

And another topic of potential interest: Jagex rules explicitly state that you are ONLY allowed to pay for yourself and your immediate family members. You and your friends may, possibly, be banned if Jagex finds you paying for them, if they're not your immediate family members. Probably not going to happen since they'd rather have the money, but it's a possibility.

but what i do see continueally expecially recently an increase in these odd occurance hackings and they could be greatly decreased if jagex actually made an attempt to investigate them further.  and with their appeal system if you are banned unfairly .. for example for giving a friend $ or a gift on the game they call it real world item trading and will refuse all appeals... I have seen alot of that lately, with people i know for a fact would never even think of such a thing.  they are banning your grannies and teachers lol.. a friends parents both banned for giving items to kids. madness i tell you madness!

I haven't heard of this anywhere but these forums. I'd say it probably happens, but not as often as some people want to claim. My only defense for Jagex is that they do make mistakes...and I'd hate to have that happen to me.

another big issue as to why a lot of 120+ combat on game leave is the combat and reward system. they torture you not reward you after you get so high. pkin is over with the exception of clan wars after 120.. the higher lvl you get the longer you have to wait .. nothing is harder except how long it takes to do everything. chop magic logs, fish sharks, mine rune ... everything takes soo much longer. like you worked soo hard to just wait for everything to happen.  waiting to me is not fun..

I think even proponents of Runescape will admit that leveling rapidly is a whole lot of not-so-fun grinding. The increasing experience required to level as you go progressively higher generally requires tens to hundreds of hours of efficient (or thousands of hours of inefficient), boring grinding to reach levels in the 90s. When it comes to mining rune and chopping magics, yeah you're going to have to wait unless you're lucky enough to be alone with more trees/rocks than you can handle. That's the way the game has been for so many years, though, so it shouldn't surprise you. As to fishing sharks, just wiggle your mouse every 80 seconds and you won't log out (the log-out time is 90 seconds of inactivity, I think?). Yes it's boring, but if you want to train fishing or amass an enormous shark stockpile, then you do what you have to do. If that's not fun for you and you're not motivated to do it, then please go for a different activity. Runescape does have a lot of skills to mess around with, so when you're exceedingly bored with one just move onto another. If the whole game is not fun for you, please don't play? You can figure these things out for yourself.

and like while your trying to fish sharks all you do is sit there and wait and it logs you out after a few fish. after working so hard to get the levels in the game it would be nice if they actually gave you something for your efforts and not a useless cape that causes people to follow you around and ask you to do sily emotes .. ( again another punishment)  the catering to the lower levels and ignoring the players that pay for years is not good customer service... those kids complaining about being lvl 40 won't continue paying anyhow... they rant then they leave to go play halo. they have memberships off and on .. not pay for 10 memberships ( like me ). noo they ban me for 3 days for telling a guy that was following me around for 30 min asking me to be his gf " to go shave his back " yes i was seriously banned for that exact  statement  saying that i was abusive to another player... but yet lets make the scammers mods!  i have been hoping another game worth playing will come out so I can pay for 10 memberships there.. but it hasn't arrived.

Report, ignore-list, no problem :) And again, Jagex de-mods and bans mods it finds to be cheaters. Almost daily. Seriously.

Originally posted by bobdorf

the victim gets upset and says things in anger they would not normally say... the con artist reports them.. and has their fellow scammers standing around them report them ..
    Easy to fix this: don't make offensive statements yourself - just report and ignore-list the tard.
    so basically you are saying we should all walk around being cops? I mean  i would feel like a real dork walking around turning anyone that did something wrong instead of just telling them how i feel about them. * not everyone who plays runescape is all uptight about things.*   I mean we play to relax, and no I myself have not been scammed.. yes I have had many a noob try, but  I am not stupid enough to fall for it.  I just think it would be ridiculous  to ban someone that has a ligitimate reason to be upset. If they actually reviewed all of what happened they would clearly be able to fgure out who was in the wrong.
    2 weeks later the scammer is  mod .. yes i have seen it happen first hand .. they didn't scam me ( isn't that gullable) but were scamming right in front of me then wow .. at whips in falyw2 the scammer has a crown next to his name ... scamming whips proudly. yes that was a sad site to see. 
    Please report anyone and everyone who you find scamming, trading accounts, macroing, etc. Jagex DOES de-mod and ban player moderators regularly (several every week). Jmods are human and do make mistakes when they mod people, but my experiences show me they fix their mistakes ASAP.
    I wish they would but i mean honestly from my expierance even when they have a mod that doesn't want to be one has to go as far as muting edgeville for fun in order to make it happen. yes everyone who spoke in  edge was muted... because they would not listen. ( as smokeydapoth once did) though i thought that itself was pretty funny he did have to go to extreme to get his modship finally removed.
    Hackers.. no they do not hack the game they hack accounts.. and i too thought that you had to have a keylogger/ virus or give out passwords for it to happen .. but i was wrong. I have never allowed anyone on my accounts and am not some kid that would be stupid enough to give out my information....I don;t even think it was anyone i knew because they would have obviously hacked my higher lvl account instead of my lower one considering they had same pass.. and everyone i knew on my lower acc knew there was no $ on there and knew me on both accs. but sure it was hacked ..  they tried to delete pin , but i caught it and recovered it in time. it was not a short password or a word you could find in the dictionary, and a friend of mine brought it to my attention there is a runescape password guessing program out there. 
    Brute-force password 'hacks' do exist, but the person would have to hack/bypass the log-in system (Jagex has a limited log-in sequence that only gives you ~3 tries in any 60 second period). If they didn't somehow bypass the log-in security, they would literally take millenia to bruteforce your password. Change your password once a year and that will never happen to you. Moreover, I've never heard any credible report of a person's account being 'hacked'. If you're being honest about your experience, then I'd say it's much, much, much more likely that someone you know somehow got your password (one of those 10 people you pay for could have seen you type it in, installed a software or hardware keylogger on your system, or guessed your recovery information, for instance...not saying they did, but I do think that's far more likely than someone hacking your lower level account specifically - a good barometer of account security generally is that the top-Hiscore people would make much better targets, yet you never hear of them being hacked).
    And another topic of potential interest: Jagex rules explicitly state that you are ONLY allowed to pay for yourself and your immediate family members. You and your friends may, possibly, be banned if Jagex finds you paying for them, if they're not your immediate family members. Probably not going to happen since they'd rather have the money, but it's a possibility.
    First off i have 2 real brothers and 4 real sisters that play that i pay for and no none of them have seen me log in. I pay for 2 accounts for myself and the other 2 accounts are my friends in college who i send a check every year to them and they make the payment themselves, I  am not breaking any rules because I only make payments on my behalf directly  to jagex for myself and immediate family. The others have to use the money i send them to pay, and no they don;t give me items in game .. infact i  give them items in game to help them out because they do not have time to do alot with all their classes.  And since i happen to play on a laptop .. noone has ever seen me log in. That is not an option. I keep my computer up to date and do not accept files or downloads.  I have 2 virus scanners and 4 firewalls.. I am completely sure that I have never had a keylogger or virus.  but yea i still had an account that i do not even play on that much hacked  and it didn't make sense to me either. and btw  I change my pass every month.. not every year.
    but what i do see continueally expecially recently an increase in these odd occurance hackings and they could be greatly decreased if jagex actually made an attempt to investigate them further.  and with their appeal system if you are banned unfairly .. for example for giving a friend $ or a gift on the game they call it real world item trading and will refuse all appeals... I have seen alot of that lately, with people i know for a fact would never even think of such a thing.  they are banning your grannies and teachers lol.. a friends parents both banned for giving items to kids. madness i tell you madness!
    I haven't heard of this anywhere but these forums. I'd say it probably happens, but not as often as some people want to claim. My only defense for Jagex is that they do make mistakes...and I'd hate to have that happen to me.
     read runescape forums the issue has been going for a while , but according to forum mods it is a " sensitive subject" and i was told by the mod there that i should not give large amounts of anything to anyone and especially to lvl 3's that i do not know.  The mod also informed me that we are not to discuss the subject as it is a matter jagex takes very seriously and they are forced to lock the threads. At least that one was courteous enough to answer some questions on the matter before they did.  the titles i was aware of in forums on this matter were" unbalanced trades illegal? " in recent updates and " kindness bannable ? " in rants i think. but there were many more those were just the ones I read.

another big issue as to why a lot of 120+ combat on game leave is the combat and reward system. they torture you not reward you after you get so high. pkin is over with the exception of clan wars after 120.. the higher lvl you get the longer you have to wait .. nothing is harder except how long it takes to do everything. chop magic logs, fish sharks, mine rune ... everything takes soo much longer. like you worked soo hard to just wait for everything to happen.  waiting to me is not fun..
    I think even proponents of Runescape will admit that leveling rapidly is a whole lot of not-so-fun grinding. The increasing experience required to level as you go progressively higher generally requires tens to hundreds of hours of efficient (or thousands of hours of inefficient), boring grinding to reach levels in the 90s. When it comes to mining rune and chopping magics, yeah you're going to have to wait unless you're lucky enough to be alone with more trees/rocks than you can handle. That's the way the game has been for so many years, though, so it shouldn't surprise you. As to fishing sharks, just wiggle your mouse every 80 seconds and you won't log out (the log-out time is 90 seconds of inactivity, I think?). Yes it's boring, but if you want to train fishing or amass an enormous shark stockpile, then you do what you have to do. If that's not fun for you and you're not motivated to do it, then please go for a different activity. Runescape does have a lot of skills to mess around with, so when you're exceedingly bored with one just move onto another. If the whole game is not fun for you, please don't play? You can figure these things out for yourself.
    I have never said that the game wasn't fun for me or i would not have been playing for all these years,  I am saying they take the fun out of it once you get higher levels.  I don;t even have a problem with the amount of xp it takes to level between lvls even to get my 99's what would make it better would be the amount of time it takes you to mine rune, the amount of rune ores available in game ect... i mean what is the point of getting the lvls to make rune when it will take you forever to get an ore? the fact is that people going for 99 don;t mine addy or rune .. they mine iron because after that everything  takes so long it makes you crazy.  i was saying it would be nice if they made it worth while to get the levels.
    and like while your trying to fish sharks all you do is sit there and wait and it logs you out after a few fish. after working so hard to get the levels in the game it would be nice if they actually gave you something for your efforts and not a useless cape that causes people to follow you around and ask you to do sily emotes .. ( again another punishment)  the catering to the lower levels and ignoring the players that pay for years is not good customer service... those kids complaining about being lvl 40 won't continue paying anyhow... they rant then they leave to go play halo. they have memberships off and on .. not pay for 10 memberships ( like me ). noo they ban me for 3 days for telling a guy that was following me around for 30 min asking me to be his gf " to go shave his back " yes i was seriously banned for that exact  statement  saying that i was abusive to another player... but yet lets make the scammers mods!  i have been hoping another game worth playing will come out so I can pay for 10 memberships there.. but it hasn't arrived.
    Report, ignore-list, no problem :) And again, Jagex de-mods and bans mods it finds to be cheaters. Almost daily. Seriously.
    You know it is funny .. i have no one in my ignore list and I have played for years. I do not use offensive language .. I do not need to.. i have a dictionary.  I  have reported people not for saying silly stuff .. if i did that I could not look at myself in the mirror. I do report people scamming and bots ... for a kid that is asking you to be his gf ... you should be able to tell him to buzz off without having to make a big deal out of it.  I personally think reporting for something like that would be ridiculous.  I mean do you really want to even play a  game that everyone walks around afraid to speak their minds? seriously?

• draguleadragulea Member Posts: 249

Scamming, auto programs (gosh, those auto miners must be the oldest trick in the book! they should bring the "black hole" back, hehe...there are still some unused return disks flying around), and so on are not new to Runescape. Hacking has always been a problem. But these are known issues. That's why you are advised all the time to stay out of trouble as much as possible. Just play the game, be nice to everyone you meet and don't abuse the "report" button. 

Gold sellers, botters, all these low life leeches thrive on ppl stupidity - I remember ppl crying all day long about their scammed stuff, because they were stupid enough to believe that some other player could "double" their items, lol! Or because someone asked to see their gear and then hit the trade button (back in the days when trading was a single click system). Or ppl getting tricked to buy "rare" items, although those were just simple shop items (yup, the famous toy horses). And so on. Even an unexperienced MMO player should know better than to trust strangers (haven't your parents tought you anything on the matter?), especially when they're offering "gifts" for free. Be smart & honest!

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Originally posted by dragulea

Scamming, auto programs (gosh, those auto miners must be the oldest trick in the book! they should bring the "black hole" back, hehe...there are still some unused return disks flying around), and so on are not new to Runescape. Hacking has always been a problem. But these are known issues. That's why you are advised all the time to stay out of trouble as much as possible. Just play the game, be nice to everyone you meet and don't abuse the "report" button. 
    Gold sellers, botters, all these low life leeches thrive on ppl stupidity - I remember ppl crying all day long about their scammed stuff, because they were stupid enough to believe that some other player could "double" their items, lol! Or because someone asked to see their gear and then hit the trade button (back in the days when trading was a single click system). Or ppl getting tricked to buy "rare" items, although those were just simple shop items (yup, the famous toy horses). And so on. Even an unexperienced MMO player should know better than to trust strangers (haven't your parents tought you anything on the matter?), especially when they're offering "gifts" for free. Be smart & honest!

Ahh the 'Blackhole' should of stayed.

The way the game was set up though, people could get scammed even with the items on the 2nd screen for verification and waiting. Had it happened to me (and got my items back) was a pure scam and I had no way of knowing until final look in inventory that you didn't get what you should off. The mods were aware of this, hence why I got my stuff back. The duping thing was real too, started with the pink/purple party hats which I believe they changed to one type now, someone found a way to copy the traded item whilst maintaining the original - except everyone wanted something else duped which wasn't possible as it only was with this one type of party hat at the time.

The thing is you give really good advice to be smart and honest, but the Runescape world isn't like that. (most of it anyway)

I had played the game for a while before I got stung with my first scam experience, taking my time in trades and prized myself by having good knowledge about the game.

It just shows even if you are careful you can still be scammed. The point is the system, the game design has flaws enabling people to take advantage of these flaws and you end up the poorer for it. The way the "rare" items are limited in that you cant obtain them from anything in the game apart from another player makes greed previlent in this game. With the price of these items being pushed up all the time, its a never ending cycle.

They should just take out all the rare's before 2005 out of the game, would solve so much and help the economy (which the devs know is screwed)

As a new player you have no chance to be able to obtain anything like that until resonably a few years into playing now. And the content these days especially for me couldn't hold me for that long.

In this game money does make the game world go round. As a level grinder for all skills, at later levels you will need  more specific items to progress at a normal rate and crazy amounts of them, with the price always going up and extortionate in relative pricing of other things. Your at a loss from the get-go. Its just now people are realising this more so and you get threads with topic titles like this. For the original few thousand - most realised this a few years back and have moved on to better, brighter games.

"so basically you are saying we should all walk around being cops? I mean  i would feel like a real dork walking around turning anyone that did something wrong instead of just telling them how i feel about them. * not everyone who plays runescape is all uptight about things.*   I mean we play to relax, and no I myself have not been scammed.. yes I have had many a noob try, but  I am not stupid enough to fall for it.  I just think it would be ridiculous  to ban someone that has a ligitimate reason to be upset. If they actually reviewed all of what happened they would clearly be able to fgure out who was in the wrong.

I wish they would but i mean honestly from my expierance even when they have a mod that doesn't want to be one has to go as far as muting edgeville for fun in order to make it happen. yes everyone who spoke in  edge was muted... because they would not listen. ( as smokeydapoth once did) though i thought that itself was pretty funny he did have to go to extreme to get his modship finally removed.

read runescape forums the issue has been going for a while , but according to forum mods it is a " sensitive subject" and i was told by the mod there that i should not give large amounts of anything to anyone and especially to lvl 3's that i do not know.  The mod also informed me that we are not to discuss the subject as it is a matter jagex takes very seriously and they are forced to lock the threads. At least that one was courteous enough to answer some questions on the matter before they did.  the titles i was aware of in forums on this matter were" unbalanced trades illegal? " in recent updates and " kindness bannable ? " in rants i think. but there were many more those were just the ones I read.

I have never said that the game wasn't fun for me or i would not have been playing for all these years,  I am saying they take the fun out of it once you get higher levels.  I don;t even have a problem with the amount of xp it takes to level between lvls even to get my 99's what would make it better would be the amount of time it takes you to mine rune, the amount of rune ores available in game ect... i mean what is the point of getting the lvls to make rune when it will take you forever to get an ore? the fact is that people going for 99 don;t mine addy or rune .. they mine iron because after that everything  takes so long it makes you crazy.  i was saying it would be nice if they made it worth while to get the levels."

I think you misunderstood something: you aren't "required" to report them (to be a cop, as you say), but you are required to not use offensive language at them. So if they're making you mad, add them to your ignore list. There are plenty of weird people out there who will stalk you, harass you etc. Not adding them to your ignore-list and yelling back and forth with them is just a good way for you to get black marks. Your choice, but don't complain here if you get a temp mute or ban (like you said you did) for being a prick to someone, rather than ignore-listing them. Jagex doesn't permit you to be offensive to someone, even if they're offending you. If you STILL refuse to report them, then ignoring them is your best (and frankly, your only good) option.

Your comments about the de-modding process are uninformed. All ANY p-mod needs to do is send a note to Jagex saying they don't want to be a mod anymore, and ta-da, they're de-modded. If they instead want to be a mod and abuse mod powers (like muting tons of people for no good reason, as you stated), then they'll be demodded (and probably permanently banned) rather quickly. Jagex investigates EVERY MUTE THAT IS EVER MADE (yes, seriously), so things like that never slip through.

The runescape forum policy prohibits the discussion of the fairness of specific bannings/mutings, of problems with individual jagex staff, of bugs, and of other related issues. All threads relating to those and some other topics are locked and the contents deleted when they are found. If you read the forums rules, you won't find this surprising at all.

If, say, each runite ore gave 500 mining xp, and each magic log gave 400 woodcutting xp, the amount of grinding necessary would be far lower and probably more enjoyable, so I agree with you there. Jagex seems to be of the opinion that the current system has worked well, for the most part, over the years it has been around, so I don't expect the experience value for these things to ever change. The game's far from perfect in my opinion, and Jagex probably doesn't care much about perfecting things as long as new players keep rolling in.

Now i do give of free gifts lol .. lots of  them. I have walked into lumby and asked people to start me  fire whoever did i gave 100k to lol.  As for the scammers, beggars, and spammers..jag still hasn't taken my advice to tie them all to trees on karamja  and let othr players throw banannas at them :P As for hackers they need ip banned.  They are the worst.  Now I always try to be nice to everyone unless they give me a very good reason not to be... in that case I am inclined to let them know they are slime. .. I can't help it, no i do not swear  but i might let them know they are a flea infested prosimian... or a wanna be cross dressing jerry springer toothless call girl.. but I have to be really provoked for that of course.  I have enjoyed playing over the years, but yea i guess to me worrying about speaking my mind vs getting banned... pshh why worry ? if it happens i guess it happens . if i had to walk around with a muffin crammed up my .. nose.. in order to not go off on them I might be considered just another " high level that never talks" .. that wouldn't be fun or relaxing . I guess freedom and fun are risks that are worth taking.... good thing I talk mostly on headset and not public chat =).

I think you misunderstood something: you aren't "required" to report them (to be a cop, as you say), but you are required to not use offensive language at them. So if they're making you mad, add them to your ignore list. There are plenty of weird people out there who will stalk you, harass you etc. Not adding them to your ignore-list and yelling back and forth with them is just a good way for you to get black marks. Your choice, but don't complain here if you get a temp mute or ban (like you said you did) for being a prick to someone, rather than ignore-listing them. Jagex doesn't permit you to be offensive to someone, even if they're offending you. If you STILL refuse to report them, then ignoring them is your best (and frankly, your only good) option.

first off ... telling a guy to go shave his back is funny not being a " prick " as you so stated.  I think that him following me around for 30 min asking me to be his gf after I said "no ty",  and as i later found out was against the rules for him to do so, but not until I was temp banned.  I can listen to what people say ... thinks jag needs a sense of humor =x.

Your comments about the de-modding process are uninformed. All ANY p-mod needs to do is send a note to Jagex saying they don't want to be a mod anymore, and ta-da, they're de-modded. If they instead want to be a mod and abuse mod powers (like muting tons of people for no good reason, as you stated), then they'll be demodded (and probably permanently banned) rather quickly. Jagex investigates EVERY MUTE THAT IS EVER MADE (yes, seriously), so things like that never slip through.

well according to smokey .. he had sent letters for 3 weeks and was not demodded so his muting was a last straw .. i was there when it happened. he spoke openly about  it while he was doing it. and yes he was temp banned but is still playing.  

he runescape forum policy prohibits the discussion of the fairness of specific bannings/mutings, of problems with individual jagex staff, of bugs, and of other related issues. All threads relating to those and some other topics are locked and the contents deleted when they are found. If you read the forums rules, you won't find this surprising at all.

Yes I am fully aware of all the rules.. including forum rules.  And yes that is why they will not allow people to discuss the fact that they are unfairly banning people for real world item trading when they are just trying to help people out. Not allowing that topic to be allowed in their forums would put them in  a bad light.  What I am surprised about though is that  people want to try to cover this up and pretend it does not exist. Instead of admitting they were in error and trying to correct it they want to silence the world! ... "oh no  the cattle have gone astray .. get them back to the herd or shoot them".. if I do not say " moo.. ok moo... i should be banned? treating customers like cattle is not how to show them appreciation for their  business.

If, say, each runite ore gave 500 mining xp, and each magic log gave 400 woodcutting xp, the amount of grinding necessary would be far lower and probably more enjoyable, so I agree with you there. Jagex seems to be of the opinion that the current system has worked well, for the most part, over the years it has been around, so I don't expect the experience value for these things to ever change. The game's far from perfect in my opinion, and Jagex probably doesn't care much about perfecting

you know i am not even as concerned about the xp as the time it takes to get each one .. if i could mine  or chop them faster it would help alot.. it is that they are soo slow that you want to go pk  someone inbetween the respawning just to get the frustration out of your system... it puts people on edge, instead of allowing them to relax. 

Baleted.

My point was: some problems can be avoided. I played Runescape for years, being a very active seller, and not once getting scammed by another player. On the other hand, during all that time, my character was hacked 3 times, although I've never visited other fan sites, never used bots, auto miners, ar anything of the sort. I never got scammed during trades because I knew how to spot any suspicios move from the other party; however hacking (or should I say mass hacking) had to do with the game's lame security system.

The idea is: if you are an honest player and you're hacked, sooner or later you will get a response from the Jagex team; but if you conduct any sort of illegal acitvity, you stand no chance - and still I think they won't ban ppl for no good reason.

No regarding the skills: there's a small trick to learn - they go in pairs (and some in group). Cooking goes in pair with fire making - and even wood cutting; mining goes hand in hand with smithing; fletching goes in pair with wood cutting; fishing goes with cooking and fire making...and so on. You can't raise one without training the others too. Some were lucky enough to have strong players and guilds cover their backs so they'd become soon masters of a certain skill (such as the first top miners and smithers - I remember when certain ppl were guarded so they'd be able to mine runite in wilderness, or craft the very first rune kites). Others had to train like hell. But in order to stay competitive, you need to train more skills than just the ones for fighting.

• taz24053taz24053 Member Posts: 12

Since all of these "Botting" programs can be easily found, it takes away from the game. Not only that, but there isn't a lot for the "Free" members to do. Once you've done all the quests, its pretty much game over. Nothing new happens for the "Free" members.

The free version should be able to keep you busy for a good number of months, if not a year. That's a lot of time to decide if you like the game enough to go for the P2P version, or not. The fee is still 5$ a month, which is affordable even for the little kids with just the school lunch money in their pockets. I've been on both sides of the fence and I honestly advise you to try P2P at least for a month. It's well worth - of course, if you like the game, that is.

My point was: some problems can be avoided. I played Runescape for years, being a very active seller, and not once getting scammed by another player. On the other hand, during all that time, my character was hacked 3 times, although I've never visited other fan sites, never used bots, auto miners, ar anything of the sort. I never got scammed during trades because I knew how to spot any suspicios move from the other party; however hacking (or should I say mass hacking) had to do with the game's lame security system.
    The idea is: if you are an honest player and you're hacked, sooner or later you will get a response from the Jagex team; but if you conduct any sort of illegal acitvity, you stand no chance - and still I think they won't ban ppl for no good reason.
    Yea, when my account was hacked, I reported it and they locked it for a couple of days keeping the hacker noobs from doing any more damage to it ( thank goodness) .. but I still have no idea how it could have happened. I thought they wouldn;t ban people for being nice,  saying they were real world item trading . I felt so bad for them because I have known them for years to be good honest people. It was really sad how they were responded to.  I wish I still thought that they only banned people who did things wrong, but I know they have been mistaken on a mass scale at this point. The worst part about it is they probably won't even get the real world traders the way. they are going about it... they are the ones posting to go pk to trade and use the duels ..( as they were posting on threads in rs forums)  not the ones walking up to some kid killing cows and handing them $100k and telling him to have fun... yea someone was banned for that too=(.
    No regarding the skills: there's a small trick to learn - they go in pairs (and some in group). Cooking goes in pair with fire making - and even wood cutting; mining goes hand in hand with smithing; fletching goes in pair with wood cutting; fishing goes with cooking and fire making...and so on. You can't raise one without training the others too. Some were lucky enough to have strong players and guilds cover their backs so they'd become soon masters of a certain skill (such as the first top miners and smithers - I remember when certain ppl were guarded so they'd be able to mine runite in wilderness, or craft the very first rune kites). Others had to train like hell. But in order to stay competitive, you need to train more skills than just the ones for fighting.
    Yea.. the skills.. i have always trained all my skills, and I have never bought supplies for anything I have always got my own.. which people think is mad crazy for the stats i have.. but I have been playing for years as well.. I have never " bought " a skill nor have I pc'd any either .. I did it the hard way. I don't care much about being "competitive because I don;t play they game to dress up my lil pixel doll in the latest pixel fashions, I honestly play to help my friends lately, I have lvled so much that I lost my motivation on there to do anything for myself. If it weren;t for  real friends and family still playing I wouldn't even go on. .. these days they have to call my house and tell me to come on lol. To me the waiting for everything to happen on the game is what turned me off of it. The waiting to get an ore .. then waiting for it to respawn.. waiting to get a magic log then waiting for the tree to grow back... I just don't think i like playing as much as I used to because  i have worked all these levels to be able to do these things and I am not even playing most of the time i am sitting here waiting of the time... who wants to play  a game to sit there and wait?

• subzerthsubzerth Member Posts: 7

RS is truely a grinding game; there's a reason why you only pay $5 to play. 

Have you tried World of Warcraft?  You will see end game contents, less scams, voice chat, guild and party system, a well thought auction house aka trading system.  You can try WOW for 10days for free.  Having played RS for more than 2 yrs,  I grinded my way to lvl 122 - I was so ready for a different game.  It was night and day when you compare RS and WOW!!  Give it a try .

Lol! Of course WOW and Runescape are as different as day and night! Runescape is a java game, for God's sake!  From the start the game has its limitations. But to be honest, I'm quite fed up with this "WOW vs the world " type of comparisons. Imagine some ppl like other games as much as you do like WOW - what a shock! Further more, imagine some people consider WOW to be a sucky game. That's what diversity is all about: what some hate, others love. There's no problem in defending what you like, but do it on with the appropriate means, not by using hugely exagerated comparisons.

• subzerthsubzerth Member Posts: 7

Very true, couldnt have said it better myself.  I was just merely responding to the previous post where she didnt play GW long enough to give herself a  chance to like the game, she also mentioned where one had to buy the game to play.  So it was a suggestion for her to try it and I truely believed that she might enjoy it since I personally played RS for a couple of years.

Peace out.

• NadrilNadril Member Posts: 1,276

I laughed at this part:

"I'm the best at runescape in my school..."

dear god, comedy gold!

Runescape isn't going down the tube. Fact is, it's difficult when you're already at the bottom.

Originally posted by subzerth

Very true, couldnt have said it better myself.  I was just merely responding to the previous post where she didnt play GW long enough to give herself a  chance to like the game, she also mentioned where one had to buy the game to play.  So it was a suggestion for her to try it and I truely believed that she might enjoy it since I personally played RS for a couple of years.
    Peace out.

I did give myself time to try and like the game I only played it seriously for a month.. but have it hanging around here. I have picked it up now and then, but what I didn't like most about it was how small the teams are. the party limitations and such... I have over 800 friends that actually play runescape, so many that I cannot  use their chat system to talk to them all.  Yea I pay  for some of them  to play, so how much each membership or game costs would be taken times 10 for me wherever I go.  The only people I actually met on gws weren't worth meeting.  They were either like 13 or some creepy old bald fat dude sitting in his undies eating taco bell lol... actually I thought that guy was a girl at first .. until he showed me his pics lmao.  The people I met on rs were all 18- 30 a bit more my style. Unlike most players on these games i actually party with my friends, so getting to know them better is all apart of it for me. I have met alot of people for real that played with me .. adding fun to it all.. nothing like pkin with people you actually know not a bunch of pixels.

Runescape isn't going down the tube. Fact is, it's difficult when you're already at the bottom.
    I'm sure many game companies would love to have a 4 -5 million players database when they hit the bottom. I bet they'd still have a big smile on their faces

On a different note, I'm tired of all these lvl 10 players crying on forums too. They don't have the patience to play and understand a game, but they believe they are qualified to slander those games on forums. I mean, how can you say "this game sucks", when you haven't finished the tutorial or the trial period? Look around you and you may seem some high lvl players; set them as an example and work your way through the game. Contrary to some opinions, not all the high lvl players are bots & hackers - some ppl actually like the weird idea of creating and growing your own personal character, instead of buying one on Ebay  . You know why? Because owning a maximum cap character won't make you master the game - if you sucked as a lvl 5 - 10 character, chances are you will still suck playing a lvl 100 - 200 character bought form an online gold seller too.

And start thinking on your own; stop repeating others opinion! If some ppl say a certain game sucks, take your time and see yourself how true their statemet is.

• First and foremost.. i do not think runescape sucks. I like runescape.. it is a good game  that needs some work. I don't even think they need to keep updating the monsters to no end like they have been.. but i do think they need to update the player characters... you can't even see  the faces! yes i do understand that they are running on java and  limited, but I mean the girl characters for example.. bodies just look weird lol.  I have been happy they have been adding to the armor selection.. and wouldn't mind seeing alot of the items they have been dressing npc's in introduced into player options such as the elf outfits and zmi altar mage gear .. that looks pretty cool.  * really hopes player updates come soon * Anyhow the main cause of why i see high levels that have played for years leaving is having their player accounts hacked and having everything they have worked for for years taken from them. I Think that in the case of hackers they need to Ip ban offenders for that offense , and eventually the offenders will run out of ips.  To make sure they are not mistaken about an ip addy, flag each offending addy, and have a 3 strikes rule on it. Bots and hackers should be the offenses  that would qualify for ip banning. If the same ip addy comes up associated with either 3 bots or 3 hackings or a combination of both, ban it . Sure they may have more than one ip addy, but if they keep  doing it they will eventually get them all banned. This will reduce the number of players hacking and botting in the game and hopefully ween alot of those punks out. I would love to see the abuse system given a overhaul along with customer service, because both are being abused. The abuse system is working for the abusers and not the actual victims because it is the abusers reporting the victims and getting away with it. *wishes customer service would do away with auto- responses and actually read their mail.  Now instead of just catering to the  lvl 40's ranting in their forums i wish they would listen to the higher level players , which I do give great thanks for the god wars update that is a great update for higher players, but in regards to skills as well.. Players that work hard to get 99 in something should   have it feel like 99.. the skill capes were a cruel joke lol. We have been asking for good 99 items for years and we get a goofy cape instead that makes people follow  you around and harass you more ... like 126's didn't get enough of that as it is lol.  if you have 99 attack u shouild be maxing like you do, if you have 99 def it should really be harder to hit you, Either give them a 99 item that is useful and makes that happen or fix the combat system so that 126 isn't just some even stat noob  while pkin.  They have worked hard for the levels they deserve it. The lvl 70 whining that they can't hit a 126 .. doesn't deserve to be able to hit them .. they didn't work for it.  it should be earned not given.  And higher level resources need to be made more attainable, not enough rune rocks, and they are to slow, magic trees are too slow, takes away from the  fun of the game when you work hard for something and then don't even have time to  be able to do any of it because it takes all your game time just to wait for it to respawn. I don't mind the grind to the top .. Just wishes thee was more when you get there.
  • AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

First and foremost.. i do not think runescape sucks. I like runescape.. it is a good game  that needs some work. I don't even think they need to keep updating the monsters to no end like they have been.. but i do think they need to update the player characters... you can't even see  the faces! yes i do understand that they are running on java and  limited, but I mean the girl characters for example.. bodies just look weird lol.  I have been happy they have been adding to the armor selection.. and wouldn't mind seeing alot of the items they have been dressing npc's in introduced into player options such as the elf outfits and zmi altar mage gear .. that looks pretty cool.  * really hopes player updates come soon * Anyhow the main cause of why i see high levels that have played for years leaving is having their player accounts hacked and having everything they have worked for for years taken from them. I Think that in the case of hackers they need to Ip ban offenders for that offense , and eventually the offenders will run out of ips.  To make sure they are not mistaken about an ip addy, flag each offending addy, and have a 3 strikes rule on it. Bots and hackers should be the offenses  that would qualify for ip banning. If the same ip addy comes up associated with either 3 bots or 3 hackings or a combination of both, ban it . Sure they may have more than one ip addy, but if they keep  doing it they will eventually get them all banned. This will reduce the number of players hacking and botting in the game and hopefully ween alot of those punks out. I would love to see the abuse system given a overhaul along with customer service, because both are being abused. The abuse system is working for the abusers and not the actual victims because it is the abusers reporting the victims and getting away with it. *wishes customer service would do away with auto- responses and actually read their mail.  Now instead of just catering to the  lvl 40's ranting in their forums i wish they would listen to the higher level players , which I do give great thanks for the god wars update that is a great update for higher players, but in regards to skills as well.. Players that work hard to get 99 in something should   have it feel like 99.. the skill capes were a cruel joke lol. We have been asking for good 99 items for years and we get a goofy cape instead that makes people follow  you around and harass you more ... like 126's didn't get enough of that as it is lol.  if you have 99 attack u shouild be maxing like you do, if you have 99 def it should really be harder to hit you, Either give them a 99 item that is useful and makes that happen or fix the combat system so that 126 isn't just some even stat noob  while pkin.  They have worked hard for the levels they deserve it. The lvl 70 whining that they can't hit a 126 .. doesn't deserve to be able to hit them .. they didn't work for it.  it should be earned not given.  And higher level resources need to be made more attainable, not enough rune rocks, and they are to slow, magic trees are too slow, takes away from the  fun of the game when you work hard for something and then don't even have time to  be able to do any of it because it takes all your game time just to wait for it to respawn. I don't mind the grind to the top .. Just wishes thee was more when you get there.

Agreed.

?

Agreed, the game needs badly more character customization - both in appearance and clothes. This was indeed something long required by players. I also agree that characters need a more detailed modeling (yup, I HATED too my faceless head, hehe).

I even agree on the stats issue; but as you might know, Runescape's fight system is pretty weird and I don't think this would be something that can be solved on the fly. Unless they go to square one (a short beta period) they will seriously screw the game; I remember the kind of trouble rune plates and dragon gear produced, because all of a sudden the stats balance was altered - imagine directly working on the stats and the kind of winning that would follow. I get the feeling they're too scared that would destroy their fragile knight - mage - ranger triangle (which is pretty weird to begin with).

• NadrilNadril Member Posts: 1,276

I'm sure many game companies would love to have a 4 -5 million players database when they hit the bottom. I bet they'd still have a big smile on their faces

On a different note, I'm tired of all these lvl 10 players crying on forums too. They don't have the patience to play and understand a game, but they believe they are qualified to slander those games on forums. I mean, how can you say "this game sucks", when you haven't finished the tutorial or the trial period? Look around you and you may seem some high lvl players; set them as an example and work your way through the game. Contrary to some opinions, not all the high lvl players are bots & hackers - some ppl actually like the weird idea of creating and growing your own personal character, instead of buying one on Ebay  . You know why? Because owning a maximum cap character won't make you master the game - if you sucked as a lvl 5 - 10 character, chances are you will still suck playing a lvl 100 - 200 character bought form an online gold seller too.

And start thinking on your own; stop repeating others opinion! If some ppl say a certain game sucks, take your time and see yourself how true their statemet is.

Classic. Lets clear up a few things here mate.

- I have played the game long enough to form an opinion. I played for a while when I was a kid during RSC and again for a little bit with RS2. Because of how much the PvP got FUBAR'd though in RS2 I quickly quit.

- 4 to 5 million? 4 to 5 million FREE players, perhaps. There are at the most a million or a million in a half actual paid subscribers, which isn't much considering it is only $5 a month and not $15.

The paitence to play and understand? You've got to be kidding me here. There is nothing to understand about this game, its one of the most simple MMORPG's out there. All you have to do for christs sake is click on a mob, or stay in an agro area, and just sit there. If anything its something to do while actually doing something entertaining such as browsing the net.

How many 'runescape players' do you see actually activly playing the game all the time? Most I know or have seen just browse the net with the game in the background, moving every so often if not to lose the agro (after 15minutes or however long it is now) on the mobs.

So please, think before you speak.

How many MMOs are more than click on a mob? Very few. That's not an argument.

Runescape is not about PVP. If that's your thing, I understand why you hate the game.

1 million paying players = 5 million $ a month. Not bad for a java game. Like I said, many MMOs would love to have thay much cashflow.

The rest is of no concern to me.