Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A guess at Bioware's new MMOG

Comments

• morbatailmorbatail Member UncommonPosts: 7

Many Fantasy writers also write Sci-Fi look at Margeret wies and Tracy Hickman.  They are grouped together in the bookstore so it is posisble to make a fantasy game based in a Sci-Fi world. 

Do we not Fantasize about going into space?  Granted I would not want to run accross a mob or person weilding a lazer cannon when i have nothing more than a club. So thought must be put into this concept.  Perhaps they are looking at a Sci-Fi era game with a fuedel system of government. 

The ideas are limitless and only thing stoping it would be the creativaty of the designers.

Old age and treachery always overcomes youth and speed

• Bane82Bane82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,242

Very unlikely that it will be any of the ones in your list considering that the market is over saturated with fantasy orc v.s. elf MMO's hopefully they will take a page from their own, do a good sci fi KOTOR MMO. Besides, Star Wars can be considered a fantasy considering the story elements in Lucas's movies.

• aat53543aat53543 Member Posts: 1

I can already tell you, it will not be Baldur's Gate or NWN, being that  Atari owns all rights to D&D PC games, including the Forgotten Realms, and after BioWare selling us gamers out with the EA deal, Wizards of the Coast will pull the plug on BioWare's FR contract, just as they did with Black Isle.

• Darth_PeteDarth_Pete Member Posts: 559

If its not Star Wars game where do they need Lucasarts ??

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

Originally posted by Darth_Pete

If its not Star Wars game where do they need Lucasarts ??
    because people forget that up to this point, Bioware has always made single player games and will continue to do so.

a lot of folks on the Bioware forum feel this new endevor with LA is to make a new cross platform single player game, not the MMO theyve been developing for nearly 3 years now.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

I will also ad that Star Wars is considered Sci-Fanatasy.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Cdragon94Cdragon94 Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by yourname00

What we really need is for a big company like Bioware to do a totally different style of MMO, everything is too similar nowadays.
    Amen dude, amen.

I myself hope it is a new Baldurs Gate game. I mean, I never have gotten into those games, but they're a bit old, but they seem to have good potential.

One quick question; is the PC version of Baldurs Gate (BGII at least) auto-attack?

---------------------------
    Diablo 3 and
    Starcraft 2 are
    At our Doorsteps!
    We can only hope that they
    will come really soon.

• Prophet999Prophet999 Member Posts: 21

Im not entirely sure where I stand on this.  Id hope that they would make something different form the standard Fantasy.  I wont even enter the argument about if Star Wars is Sci Fi or Fantasy or some mashed up hybrid whatever.

I have not tried SWG, so I wont bash it, regardless of what other people say about it.  A KOTOR MMORPG would be cool, but so would a Mass Effect MMORPG.  Hell Jade Empire would be fun as well.  But honestly, I don't see the point in speculating, they will tell us when they tell us.  I realize people need stuff to talk about, but how many threads about this have their been?  I mean at this moment it could be anything.  LA involvement could mean something like Star Wars, or it could mean something entirely different, and they like us thinking Star Wars so when they release it everyones like OMFG WHY NOT KOTOR, and look into the new thing to see why their beloved dreams were crushed..or something I dunno.

Im honestly a bit tired of the speculation, but I know its just part of gaming culture.  People love it, people enjoy it, and it gives them something to argue about where no one is right and no one is wrong (nor can be proven right or wrong) until the announcement is made.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

Star Wars Galaxies EULA (copy and paste)

THIS AGREEMENT DESCRIBES THE TERMS UNDER WHICH SONY ONLINE ENTERTAINMENT LLC (“WE” OR “SOE”) OFFERS YOU ACCESS TO AN ACCOUNT (THE "ACCOUNT") AND THE SERVICE TO ALLOW YOU TO PLAY THE STAR WARS GALAXIES: AN EMPIRE DIVIDED ONLINE FANTASY ROLE PLAYING COMPUTER GAME AND ITS EXPANSION PACK(S) (THE "GAME"). BY CLICKING THE "I ACCEPT" BUTTON, YOU ACCEPT THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS BELOW. BY CLICKING THE "DECLINE" BUTTON, YOU DECLINE OUR OFFER, IN WHICH CASE YOU MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE, DELETE THE SOFTWARE AND ALL RELATED FILES FROM YOUR COMPUTER, AND PROMPTLY RETURN THE GAME PACKAGE AND ITS CONTENTS TO THE PLACE OF PURCHASE FOR A REFUND OR EXCHANGE SUBJECT TO THE RETURN POLICY OF THE RETAILER.

Sci fi is considered fantasy

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

Originally posted by miagisan

Star Wars Galaxies EULA (copy and paste)
    THIS AGREEMENT DESCRIBES THE TERMS UNDER WHICH SONY ONLINE ENTERTAINMENT LLC (“WE” OR “SOE”) OFFERS YOU ACCESS TO AN ACCOUNT (THE "ACCOUNT") AND THE SERVICE TO ALLOW YOU TO PLAY THE STAR WARS GALAXIES: AN EMPIRE DIVIDED ONLINE FANTASY ROLE PLAYING COMPUTER GAME AND ITS EXPANSION PACK(S) (THE "GAME"). BY CLICKING THE "I ACCEPT" BUTTON, YOU ACCEPT THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS BELOW. BY CLICKING THE "DECLINE" BUTTON, YOU DECLINE OUR OFFER, IN WHICH CASE YOU MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE, DELETE THE SOFTWARE AND ALL RELATED FILES FROM YOUR COMPUTER, AND PROMPTLY RETURN THE GAME PACKAGE AND ITS CONTENTS TO THE PLACE OF PURCHASE FOR A REFUND OR EXCHANGE SUBJECT TO THE RETURN POLICY OF THE RETAILER.

so, I guess theres no such thing as sci-fi anymore.  everything can just be tagged as fantasy

the only time I ever see anyone claiming Star Wars to be fantasy is when theyre trying to disprove something or are debating.  Otherwise, its categorized as sci-fi.. in movie selection and in book selection.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."

Originally posted by Rayx0r

Originally posted by miagisan Star Wars Galaxies EULA (copy and paste)

so, I guess theres no such thing as sci-fi anymore.  everything can just be tagged as fantasy
    the only time I ever see anyone claiming Star Wars to be fantasy is when theyre trying to disprove something or are debating.  Otherwise, its categorized as sci-fi.. in movie selection and in book selection.

As you stated... in movie selection and book. Granted, I believe Star Wars to be Sci Fi too, but a Sci Fi Fantasy, even Lucas has stated this (watch the documentary "an empire of dreams")

• rapstylerapstyle Member Posts: 31

Yeah,it could be funny,XD.

• kleriyhikleriyhi Member Posts: 3

Indeed I agree with those of you who feel that there are to many traditional fantasy-based mmorpgs out there. If BioWare choose to do base it on fantasy, it has to be exeptional to have any chance of at least some sort og success. I know BioWare is upto it though. But they must see that as well. Most mmorpgs are fantasy, and if they want to be noticed in the mmorpg jungle they have to do something to stand out.

If Bioware does an SW MMO, I hope SOE completely shuts off SWG and removes every single forum mentioning SWG and the NGE. I know it sounds selfish. But it would just stink to know that of the 2 SW related MMO's one has a filthy past. It would just simply stink to know that you have SWG lurking in the shadows behind Bioware's SW MMO

• TrollstarTrollstar Member Posts: 332
    Originally posted by Bane82

If Bioware does an SW MMO, I hope SOE completely shuts off SWG and removes every single forum mentioning SWG and the NGE. I know it sounds selfish. But it would just stink to know that of the 2 SW related MMO's one has a filthy past. It would just simply stink to know that you have SWG lurking in the shadows behind Bioware's SW MMO

Keeping in mind....there's a chance that a Bioware SW's game might not be any good....  few games actually succeed it seems......

Who the hell are you, and why should I care?
    Congrats! You are a victim of Trollstar!

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Trollstar

Keeping in mind....there's a chance that a Bioware SW's game might not be any good....  few games actually succeed it seems......

I'd agree with your statement if not for the fact that Mass Effect is, thus far, the greatest single player RPG I have ever played. Ever.

I have so much faith in the capabilities, talent, and drive behind Bioware's games, that I don't think it's possible for anything made by Bioware to do anything but succeed.

I know the MMO and Mass Effect are/were being made by different Bioware studios, but we can only hope/pray that the level of talent and one studio reflects the talent of the company as a whole, and I do believe it does.

I expect great things, no matter what the IP of the MMO is.

• rshandlonrshandlon Member Posts: 173

I don't know if anyone has followed the debacle at Perpetual, but that may cause a major snag in Bioware's MMO plans.  They are using Perpetual's game developing engine and with the problems currently involving that company, it may cause Bioware to rethink the whole idea in the first place.  It would not be wise to use development tools from a company who's future is debatable.

We have not seen any comments from Bioware about the issues at Perpetual, but I imagine sometime in the near future we will.

Originally posted by rshandlon
    I don't know if anyone has followed the debacle at Perpetual, but that may cause a major snag in Bioware's MMO plans.  They are using Perpetual's game developing engine and with the problems currently involving that company, it may cause Bioware to rethink the whole idea in the first place.  It would not be wise to use development tools from a company who's future is debatable.
    We have not seen any comments from Bioware about the issues at Perpetual, but I imagine sometime in the near future we will.

I don't know what game engine perpetual is using. But it's been said officially already that Bioware's MMO is using the Hero engine. Even the website for the Hero engine mentions this. I've taken a look at the Hero engine website and from what it seems, the hero engine is actually pretty awesome. (maybe not as good as the infinity engine, but still pretty good) In fact, from what I've seen of the hero engine, it looks incredibly dynamic and very intuitive. It looks to work a lot like 3D studio max and anyone that knows a thing about 3d animating knows that 3D studio max is incredibly flexible and very intuitive.

If the hero engine is anything like 3D studio in terms of it's intuitiveness, I expect MMO's of the future to come out at a lat faster rates than before.

• ValidurValidur Member Posts: 48

I'm hoping Bioware make a "space opera" MMO, whether it be KOTRO based (pleeease!) or Mass Effect (cool, but not as cool).

All this talk of whether sci-fi falls neatly into the fantasy genre of MMO's (plus others) or not I dunno, but I'd say a "space opera" over both.

A space opera MMO based on a Peter F Hamilton series, now that would be truly epic, but one can only dream :(

• rshandlonrshandlon Member Posts: 173

I don't know what game engine perpetual is using. But it's been said officially already that Bioware's MMO is using the Hero engine. Even the website for the Hero engine mentions this. I've taken a look at the Hero engine website and from what it seems, the hero engine is actually pretty awesome. (maybe not as good as the infinity engine, but still pretty good) In fact, from what I've seen of the hero engine, it looks incredibly dynamic and very intuitive. It looks to work a lot like 3D studio max and anyone that knows a thing about 3d animating knows that 3D studio max is incredibly flexible and very intuitive.

If the hero engine is anything like 3D studio in terms of it's intuitiveness, I expect MMO's of the future to come out at a lat faster rates than before.

Yeah, I noticed my mistake after I had posted it. But did not notice I had made it till was reading about the HeroEngine today in another post.  I am glad I never said I was perfect......lol

But, it did make me feel a bit better about Bioware's plans after I realized my mistake.  I had remembered originally that the game engine had to do with "Hero" something and just connected it mistakenly to the Gods & Heroes game engine.

But, again if you read the following link you will notice that Bioware did indeed lease the Perpetual Platform for an upcoming MMO they are working on.

www.perpetual.com/press/

I am not sure what is happening though, since they also leased the HeroEngine for an upcoming game.

• SourMilkSourMilk Member Posts: 18

In a way im hoping that its not a SW MMO because I want to play KOTOR 3 the same way as the last two, but on the other side I do hope that it is based on SW as I miss SWG a lot

Originally posted by SourMilk
    In a way im hoping that its not a SW MMO because I want to play KOTOR 3 the same way as the last two, but on the other side I do hope that it is based on SW as I miss SWG a lot

What if they end up making KOTOR 3 and ALSO a KOTOR MMO? that way, we all win... except for the cubs... they're still cursed lol!

• SerlingSerling Member Posts: 662

I think the most obvious and overlooked genre for MMOs is history-based, especially one dealing with WWI or WWII, the Civil War or American Revolution.  Or go back even further: Napoleon, Julius Caesar, the Trojan War: any of these would lend themselves well to an MMO if done right.

Think of the possibilities: you already have the opportunity for character progression (military ranks instead of "levels"), squad and platoon-based combat lends itself to small group instances, dozens of professions would be available, and - especially in the case of WWI and WWII -  air and ground-based combat would be possible.  PvP could be world-based, and completely free and open if you choose to cross into enemy territory.

And speaking of territory: each win for your "faction" (American or German, Spartan or Persian, French or Russian) would garner more land and change the political landscape of the entire MMO world. 

Yeah, I think a history-based MMO built around something like the war between the Greeks and Persians (300, anyone?) or the Napoleonic Wars could be very cool.  Just wondering why no one has tried to do something like this.

Originally posted by Serling
    I think the most obvious and overlooked genre for MMOs is history-based, especially one dealing with WWI or WWII, the Civil War or American Revolution.  Or go back even further: Napoleon, Julius Caesar, the Trojan War: any of these would lend themselves well to an MMO if done right.
    Think of the possibilities: you already have the opportunity for character progression (military ranks instead of "levels"), squad and platoon-based combat lends itself to small group instances, dozens of professions would be available, and - especially in the case of WWI and WWII -  air and ground-based combat would be possible.  PvP could be world-based, and completely free and open if you choose to cross into enemy territory.
    And speaking of territory: each win for your "faction" (American or German, Spartan or Persian, French or Russian) would garner more land and change the political landscape of the entire MMO world. 
    Yeah, I think a history-based MMO built around something like the war between the Greeks and Persians (300, anyone?) or the Napoleonic Wars could be very cool.  Just wondering why no one has tried to do something like this.

Unfortunately, I can see a bunch of racism oozing out from this though. especially the spartan v. persian, at least in a fantasy/sci fi environment one can argue "They're just aliens, they're not X-race" blah blah blah. Although Isn't there already a WW2 MMO already?

• eRAZOR2007eRAZOR2007 Member Posts: 70

I don't know if anyone has followed the debacle at Perpetual, but that may cause a major snag in Bioware's MMO plans. They are using Perpetual's game developing engine and with the problems currently involving that company, it may cause Bioware to rethink the whole idea in the first place. It would not be wise to use development tools from a company who's future is debatable.

The product is more than just an engine. It's complete development, build and testing environment that streamlines the entire game development process. Artists, world builders, scripters, game designers, producers, and customer service can collaborate live, online and in real-time. That means that the game can be built and played at the same time to see instant results. Another advantage is the good middle-ware integration. Products like SpeedTree®, Granny 3D, dPVS, FaceGen, StreamBase® and Scaleform GFx® are fully supported.

Not surprisingly BioWare has also recently licensed StreamBase's Stream Processing Engine which is capable of coping with a ultra high volume of messages per second (around 300k messages / sec). Handling client messages is what an MMO ultimatey does under the hood. Nonetheless, if you are licensing something like the Stream Processing Engine - which is normally used in the defense sector - for this purpose, then you are bracing yourself for quite an impact. I leave it up to your imagination what this could be.