Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Boycotting the Xpac! Now with POLL!

Comments

• DreadlichDreadlich Member UncommonPosts: 597
    Originally posted by JonnyWarhawk

Immature arguments on a WoW forum? Blasphemy!
    WoW should have been made by Nickelodeon. It has the community and the graphics of such.

Man....   Game hating confounds me. The immature argument was by a WOW hater, not part of the community. However, you get a cross section of people as large as WOW's community and there are going to be plenty of immature people. Proportionally no larger than most games though.

MMOs Played: EQ 1&2, DAoC, SWG, Planetside, WoW, GW, CoX, DDO, EVE, Vanguard, TR
    Playing: WAR
    Awaiting 40k Online and wishing for Battletech Online

• MrVicchioMrVicchio Member Posts: 598
    Originally posted by Vrika

Basically you are boycotting the expansion because:

a) You are tired of the game and would like to play some another game, but the expansion won't turn WoW into another game.
    No, WoW won't evolve. 

b) You don't play for fun, you play to get leet stuff and show off to other people. And Blizzard is not supporting this playstyle, as they have decided that even the hardcore raiders should have some reason (= better items) to do the normal quests and instances in WotLK before they reach lvl 70 and move on to raiding again.

Again, no... I detest raiding.  Always have.  Loot has NEVER been a driving force to me.  Being able to have fun, and see content is.   Being FORCED to run X instance 20 times to get the gear to see the next instance just... isn't fun.

c) Blizzard isn't bothering to rewrite the old and functional graphic engine. Wich in turn makes the money you spent upgrading your computer seem like wasted.

EDIT: And that poll is nice. If it tells anything, it tells that atm average of 40% people playing MMOs will buy WoW's next expansion. Tough I'd also like to see how many WoW players will buy it, I understand that it would have been impossible for OP to make such poll on this site. Too many non wow-playing WoW haters who would have voted no in it just because they hate the game so much.

Always change your signature.

• dA_fReAKdA_fReAK Member Posts: 384

The ultimate WoW fanboi Luring Horn.

Binds when equipped

Main-Hand                              2-Handed

98-100 Noob Damage       Speed 0.50

(50 Noobs lured per second)

-100 Intellect

+100 Fanbois

Requires Being a Pro

Equip: Binds every WoW fanboi's eyes towards you with hatred.

Equip: Fills resentment in the hearts of a fanboi for you.

"Use with caution"

Anyone wanna buy this epic?

Pretty funny.

MMOs Played: EQ 1&2, DAoC, SWG, Planetside, WoW, GW, CoX, DDO, EVE, Vanguard, TR

• KaleiKalei Member Posts: 16

Blizzard is already working on a new MMOG and I'm not talking about Starcraft either.

They have a group called Team 3 (I suppose the name is under wraps).  That's about all they'll say.

So I imagine all that expansion money and what we give them now goes towards that. 

I don't think I'll buy another Blizzard product though.  Their customer service is the pits.  I got a warning on my account for saying the word "afk-leecher" in the battlegrounds.  The citing was for "Racial/Ethnic slurs".  Who f'ing hired that idiot GM?  AA took it off my account but they weren't nice about it, it took 3 emails to get a response and they still left the warning on the account for pasting a URL for an addon listed at Google.  So forget these people in the future.

Google hosts addons now for those who don't know.  They don't even Phish like THIS site does.  Bit Defender alerts me all the time that MMORPG is a Phishing site.  So is Curse.com.  But give out a URL that's clean and you get a warning on your account.  GG Blizz!

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362

Originally posted by Kalei

they still left the warning on the account for pasting a URL for an addon listed at Google.  So forget these people in the future.

Was the add-on legal under Blizzard's terms of service or not?

If it wasn't legal then it's perfectly fine for them to stay "stop encouraging other people to cheat or get banned". Google doesn't decide the ToS for WoW, Blizzard does.

• URMAKERURMAKER Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Originally posted by Pappy13

I've been watching this poll as more and more people have voted and I've seen the percentage of yes to no votes continue to rise and it struck me that there's a larger percentage of posters who either don't play or don't like the game that post on a regular basis.  Those who only infrequently visit this place tend to enjoy the game.  Interesting.

yea people hate the game just because of the success. wow and eq2 came out at the same time(or about) and i went with eq2 for the 1st yr. i used to hate wow as well because every where i looked it was wow, wow, wow, and no eq2. then one day i bought the game and was hooked. i kept my eq2 account open for about 2 months then realized it was pointless and sold it on the station exchange for $400. i've been in wow for a little over 2.5 yrs now and i'm still enjoying it even though i do play less nowadays.

• AguyAguy Member Posts: 561
    Originally posted by URMAKER

I've been watching this poll as more and more people have voted and I've seen the percentage of yes to no votes continue to rise and it struck me that there's a larger percentage of posters who either don't play or don't like the game that post on a regular basis.  Those who only infrequently visit this place tend to enjoy the game.  Interesting.

yea people hate the game just because of the success. wow and eq2 came out at the same time(or about) and i went with eq2 for the 1st yr. i used to hate wow as well because every where i looked it was wow, wow, wow, and no eq2. then one day i bought the game and was hooked. i kept my eq2 account open for about 2 months then realized it was pointless and sold it on the station exchange for $400. i've been in wow for a little over 2.5 yrs now and i'm still enjoying it even though i do play less nowadays.

Yes, unfortunatly most people who hate WoW have never even tried it.  It's like saying how much you hate carrots when you've never even tasted them before.

Originally posted by Aguy

Originally posted by URMAKER

Yes, unfortunatly most people who hate WoW have never even tried it.  It's like saying how much you hate carrots when you've never even tasted them before.

Actually I think it's more like not eating jelly-filled donuts because you know that cream-filled are superior. The jelly-filled ones are obviously ruining the donut market and only lamers would support the making of any donut besides the obviously superior cream-filled. Only pansies and noobs eat jelly-filled. I mean come on!

• CorodylCorodyl Member Posts: 122
    After seeing my shaman get nerfed into the ground in pvp since tbc, i will not be wasting more money on blizzard products. All that time and effort and money down the drain when overnight they rped enhancement shaman down to a pve grind specc. Suddenly it's specc resto or your roadkill... Bait and switch. On top of that pvp balance is just way out of wack and it's just getting worse. The pve is... pff so much to say but can't be bothered.

Roll on WAR/tcos. Heck HLG is a hell of a lot more fun than wow now. And back playing Meridian 59 - 10+yrs on and the pvp/balance is still > WoW's.
  • dirtyjoe78dirtyjoe78 Member Posts: 400
    Originally posted by darkscorpion

while i dont agree with your idea of boycotting the xpac, i will admit that Blizz needs to pull a rabbit out their behind with thsi new xpac if they wanna get people back. i mean they may have like 8 mill or so accounts but the latest cenus count stats that there is only 6+ million active toons.  So numbers are dropping a bit

Lemme do some simple math for you 6mil * 15 = 90mil/month i don't think that they care a whole lot about the 2 mil that aren't playing at this point the 6mil active accts is way way more tahn any other mmo out there.  The expansion gives the casual gamer that already got to 70 more to look foward to. the 2.3 patch gives anyone new that their friends are playing a much shortened run to get close to their friends lvl and play closer to the established player.  Evidently there are 6million people that are still haveing fun playing and the 90mil a month income ensures that they will keep giving the gamers taht are playing exactly what they want.  Just because you and a few others played this game out and are no longer staisfied with the content does not mean that Blizzard needs to drop what they are doing and make you a new game.  Stop bitching about it and find a game that appeals to you, that you can have fun with again.

• Shane-OShane-O Member UncommonPosts: 28

Why would i pay to play some game with an extremely crappy PvP system, combat system, and no player diplomacy?

• mo0rbidmo0rbid Member Posts: 363

This is TBC all over again. I skipped that expansion for one, Ill prob get lich king

my reason for skipping TBC was that I raided Naxx, tbc destroyed all I'd worked for.

Originally posted by MrVicchio

I'm gonna go ahead and say right now I'm going to pass on Blizzards new Xpac.  While I still play WoW now, I've all ready quit the raid or die grind, and am currently awaiting the 2.3 patch so I can level my BE Pally with my wife and have some fun.

Why boycott the Xpac?   Durrr, why not?

What does the Xpac really OFFER?  New levels, check.  New gear, Check.  New Factions to earn, check.  DESTRUCTIBLE BUILDINGS AND SIE..ge engines.. check, new class check.

So aside the destructabel buildings and siege engines in BG's...what is the point?   There are new games coming out with a totally different focus, solid ideas and IMHO better end games.

So why start over and do the same thing you've done twice now?   I'm gonna go ahead and use the opportunity of WAR's release to give Blizz an object lesson in mediocrity.  It's time to innovate with WoW, or release a new MMO.

Cause frankly, I'm not gonna pay to redo what I've redone so many times before.
    I'm kind of impressed, over 57% of readers here if they follow through will not be buying the Xpac.

I find that an amazing number, I wonder if Blizz is aware of the animosity that's out there

I'm gonna go ahead and say right now I'm going to pass on Blizzards new Xpac.  While I still play WoW now, I've all ready quit the raid or die grind, and am currently awaiting the 2.3 patch so I can level my BE Pally with my wife and have some fun.

Why boycott the Xpac?   Durrr, why not?

What does the Xpac really OFFER?  New levels, check.  New gear, Check.  New Factions to earn, check.  DESTRUCTIBLE BUILDINGS AND SIE..ge engines.. check, new class check.

So aside the destructabel buildings and siege engines in BG's...what is the point?   There are new games coming out with a totally different focus, solid ideas and IMHO better end games.

So why start over and do the same thing you've done twice now?   I'm gonna go ahead and use the opportunity of WAR's release to give Blizz an object lesson in mediocrity.  It's time to innovate with WoW, or release a new MMO.

Cause frankly, I'm not gonna pay to redo what I've redone so many times before.
    I'm kind of impressed, over 57% of readers here if they follow through will not be buying the Xpac.

I find that an amazing number, I wonder if Blizz is aware of the animosity that's out there

102 out of 169 said no.. that IS amazing. Obviously WOW is finished!

EDIT: Considering that WOW seems to be hated by most of the posters here, I think the number of yes votes is more amazing.

• walker68walker68 Member UncommonPosts: 156

I never bought the last one.  It was an ok game for a little while but nothing but 100% item grinding really gets old for me.  What i really didnt like about WOW is that your really not at war with the other faction on your own server, but maybe they will change that in the future.

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Theoretically, Blizzard is in kind of a tough spot. 

On the one hand you have non-raiders, who hate the current WoW end game (raid or die! ....oh yeah, and if you don't like that you can rep grind..wheeee!).  WotLK looks like it will have a nearly identical end game from all I've read. 

Then you have raiders, who all all pissed that the "mouth breathing casuals" will be able to get gear just as good as the gear they spend months raiding for with a few hours of work once WotLK launches. 

Sounds like a rock and a hard place. But you know what?  It won't make a damn bit of difference. 

WotLK will sell like hot cakes, hundreds of thousands of copies will be sold before the expansion even launches. The exact same bitching and moaning from raiders that occured pre-BC will occur on message boards everywhere.  A few months after launch the exact same bitching and moaning that is occuring now as casuals hit the cap and find the same end game they hated when they were 60 will occur on message boards every where.  And WotLK will sell like cheap heroin sells to addicts.  Millions will buy it.

Blizzard will not innovate in any meaningful way because the masses do not demand it.  The masses have spoken: they will pay for more of the same quite happily.

And you know what?  If I were Blizzard I'd be working on more of the same too.  When you have a giant money printing machine, you don't f***k around with it.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• zspawnzspawn Member Posts: 410

I agree...

The safe bet would be to say that the expansion isn't gonna be different than what the game is now.

Why?

When you have 10 mill subscribers you can't wander off the road you've paved for so long and has so many people on.

Why risk 10 mill multiplied 15$ a month ? It's obvious the majority enjoys grinds (that being PvE grinding for gear, reputation or honor farming).

So I wouldn't expect anything new.

It's not a bad game but tbh at this moment they should consider a lower monthly fee considering their earnings and cheaper expansions (since they ain't that big anyway).

That would only bring them even more people anyway...

• Cowl_sCowl_s Member Posts: 7

I' ve been playing wow for  2 years now. I dont consider my self as a harcore player even though i raided ZG,MC. When TBC came out i was really happy that i would see new areas,do new quests,kill new bosses,get new gear.Thing is after a while the game gave me a tiring feeling.Grind motes,grind faction rep,grind gold for mount,grind honor.I dont have a problem with game time but when i come home from work and want to leave my work problems behind and relax for 3-4 hours i cant afford to get into a game that in order to have fun requires you to do the same things over and over and over again...I really need something new(already trying HGL).The xpack even though i think its promising i really dont believe it will be all that new.More rep,more grind, new gear again :( .After all this time that i have loved wow i dont have the "i have to log feeling " anymore. Only thing that keeps me in game with an active account atm is the fact that i've made some really good friends :)

So as you might have guessed im not going to buy the new xpack.

I never meant to imply WoW was finished, but I think that TBC will be their big expansion, and WoTLK will not surpass it in sales.   This is for several reasons:

1.  The games older, the excitement of an "Xpac" isn't what it was with TBC (I remember when Kunark launched, that was fun).

2.  People may not, and this poll seems to show there is a sentiment against WoW, want to pay to do the same thing over again.

And the biggest, most important reason?

This time, WoW won't be launching against a vacuum.  There are two big dogs stepping into the MMO Arena at about the same time as WoTLK launches, that's going to effect numbers depending on how well the games do.  The first one up looks to be WAR in March/April and followed by AoC.  Depending on how close to those launches Blizz launches their Xpac will tell the tale.

If blizz can launch from a position of being at least 30 days buffer they'll do better, if they launch within 30 days some % of the players will wait and try a new game first before purchasing.  Worst case,  they launch AFTER with WAR and/or AoC hits the shelves.  

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Cowl_s

I' ve been playing wow for  2 years now. I dont consider my self as a harcore player even though i raided ZG,MC. When TBC came out i was really happy that i would see new areas,do new quests,kill new bosses,get new gear.Thing is after a while the game gave me a tiring feeling.Grind motes,grind faction rep,grind gold for mount,grind honor.I dont have a problem with game time but when i come home from work and want to leave my work problems behind and relax for 3-4 hours i cant afford to get into a game that in order to have fun requires you to do the same things over and over and over again...I really need something new(already trying HGL).The xpack even though i think its promising i really dont believe it will be all that new.More rep,more grind, new gear again :( .After all this time that i have loved wow i dont have the "i have to log feeling " anymore. Only thing that keeps me in game with an active account atm is the fact that i've made some really good friends :)
    So as you might have guessed im not going to buy the new xpack.

I am in exactly the same boat. Sweet avatar btw.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• sorrow131sorrow131 Member Posts: 44

i agree with vicchio

im behind him  100%

want to join a warhammer guild visit www.theunholylegion.org

we are very popular

• akritasakritas Member Posts: 76

Originally posted by Yeebo

On the one hand you have non-raiders, who hate the current WoW end game (raid or die! ....oh yeah, and if you don't like that you can rep grind..wheeee!).  WotLK looks like it will have a nearly identical end game from all I've read. 
    Then you have raiders, who all all pissed that the "mouth breathing casuals" will be able to get gear just as good as the gear they spend months raiding for with a few hours of work once WotLK launches. 
    Sounds like a rock and a hard place. But you know what?  It won't make a damn bit of difference. 
    WotLK will sell like hot cakes, hundreds of thousands of copies will be sold before the expansion even launches. The exact same bitching and moaning from raiders that occured pre-BC will occur on message boards everywhere.  A few months after launch the exact same bitching and moaning that is occuring now as casuals hit the cap and find the same end game they hated when they were 60 will occur on message boards every where.  And WotLK will sell like cheap heroin sells to addicts.  Millions will buy it.
    Blizzard will not innovate in any meaningful way because the masses do not demand it.  The masses have spoken: they will pay for more of the same quite happily.
    And you know what?  If I were Blizzard I'd be working on more of the same too.  When you have a giant money printing machine, you don't f***k around with it.

Sadly I believe this is true, the masses of ppl that play wow and happyly going to buy the expansion continuing to pay their subscriptions is the reason that blizzard wont publish wow 2 or any other mmo anytime soon as they recently announced. Its our own  fault if we are not demanding enough to make game companies rise their fat asses and produce better games with better features etc. I personally liked playing wow a lot and would love to see another mmo from the same companie soon, but I dont think it gonna happen since the masses are just to easy to satisfy by getting served  the same shit in form of expansions with no real new features or improvements. That way they will never make some new mmo. Anyway I hope WAR, AoC etc. will wake them up.

• AhilesAhiles Member Posts: 414

I never meant to imply WoW was finished, but I think that TBC will be their big expansion, and WoTLK will not surpass it in sales.   This is for several reasons:

1.  The games older, the excitement of an "Xpac" isn't what it was with TBC (I remember when Kunark launched, that was fun).
    2.  People may not, and this poll seems to show there is a sentiment against WoW, want to pay to do the same thing over again.
    And the biggest, most important reason?

This time, WoW won't be launching against a vacuum.  There are two big dogs stepping into the MMO Arena at about the same time as WoTLK launches, that's going to effect numbers depending on how well the games do.  The first one up looks to be WAR in March/April and followed by AoC.  Depending on how close to those launches Blizz launches their Xpac will tell the tale.

If blizz can launch from a position of being at least 30 days buffer they'll do better, if they launch within 30 days some % of the players will wait and try a new game first before purchasing.  Worst case,  they launch AFTER with WAR and/or AoC hits the shelves.  

What does your poll show that there is an anti blizzard and wow sentiment? lmao  Ypu have 200 votes from 600k people on this site, and wow has 9 million players and you think your poll shows there is anti wow sentiment, get a grip man get a grip.

war is releasing at the end of Q2 2008 most likely Q3, and I know for sure aoc will not be releasing before Q2 maybe Q3 again.   The last time a game launched with TBC, its name was Vanguard and all the EQ, so called vets old time gamers, wow haters etc etc were predicting the demise of war lol, same with the release of lotro, same with TR etc etc etc, what happened, please tell me when these games kill wow until then sit back and watch all these so called wow killer games get crushed.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by akritas

Originally posted by Yeebo

Sadly I believe this is true, the masses of ppl that play wow and happyly going to buy the expansion continuing to pay their subscriptions is the reason that blizzard wont publish wow 2 or any other mmo anytime soon as they recently announced. Its our own  fault if we are not demanding enough to make game companies rise their fat asses and produce better games with better features etc. I personally liked playing wow a lot and would love to see another mmo from the same companie soon, but I dont think it gonna happen since the masses are just to easy to satisfy by getting served  the same shit in form of expansions with no real new features or improvements. That way they will never make some new mmo. Anyway I hope WAR, AoC etc. will wake them up.

These two posts both hit the nail on the head.... Blizz won't try anything new until people quit paying them money..... otherwise it will always be more of the same....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon