Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returning to SWG or new to the game? Read Me! *updated*

Comments

• RainStarRainStar Member Posts: 638
    Personally, I like the Legacy quests but I understand that not everyone likes the same thing.
  • ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by RainStar

Personally, I like the Legacy quests but I understand that not everyone likes the same thing.
    They're pretty good the first time, after the 2nd & 3rd time around they get old :/ 

Yeah but at least I know what to expect. lol

I'll be glad when the new quest line comes out.

• rp2006rp2006 Member Posts: 84

The legacy quests have been on of the most improved things I've findout in SWG since I returned playing.

I only have one toon dooing them, I belive that when you have made thenm over and over they will get ould, just like in WoW, even if you started a new toon in a different place, by lvl 20 (one day playing) you would be in the same zones you where before , so theres no magical way about doing this.

I have taken my time with the quests, read the texts, imerse myself in the Star Wars saga, and so far I'm having a blast.

Dont just powerlevel your way up and simply enjoy the ride.

Good advice rp!
  • Mr.WizardMr.Wizard Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Originally posted by RainStar

The NGE is a thing of the past, SWG has moved on in a better direction.
    If you've never played then it won't affect you.
    The reason it made so many people mad was because it changed the whole game dang near.
    Once the improvements knocked the NGE out the door things got better and continue to do so.
    People say servers are empty but they should try going to some places I was at in game today.  I could barely walk I was lagging so bad because of all the players.

NGE gone? *hands a laugh-of-the-month thropy*  congratulations!

The NGE is not gone and here to stay as the devs and Smedley stated. If it was gone we would probably have a better combat system, better skill system (pre-CU skill system>Expertise), more professions etc..etc...

As for the lag... its always there (rubberbanding FTW....). Also when you are not with 5-10 other players..

• DarthMaulUKDarthMaulUK Member Posts: 296
    The arguement for me, is why do we call pre-cu/nge players veterans? Players who joined when NGE hit have been playing the game longer than the veterans now - especially around November time.

Personally, I left when NGE hit the server, it was utter rubbish. No thought at all into the game. However, I have returned and the developers have worked extremely hard bring back some of the older game features (returning the camera angles back to pre-nge, expertise points now to replace the old skill trees - which were superb).

When you have 32 professions to look after, with broken game code, things had to be done. SOE bit that bullet and it when BANG in their face. Alot of the changes were not discussed with the community - hence the anger from alot of them. NGE has moved forward and improved - just to play on Mustafar is worth the monthly fee alone as it is an incredible experience.

I am having more fun now as some of the old stuff comes back, and I look to the future because the dev team ARE working hard to fix things and it really is about time these so called 'veterans' stop spamming boards with their pointless crap and out of date information.

If they haven't played the game for 2 years, how do they know what is going on? They dont..

get your 7 day FREE sub to SWTOR
    http://www.swtor.com/r/7DDKjQ

• EstrusEstrus Member Posts: 357

This thread contains useful info for myself as a new player.  All the other junk clogging it should be removed.

Originally posted by DarthMaulUK

The arguement for me, is why do we call pre-cu/nge players veterans? Players who joined when NGE hit have been playing the game longer than the veterans now - especially around November time.

Personally, I left when NGE hit the server, it was utter rubbish. No thought at all into the game. However, I have returned and the developers have worked extremely hard bring back some of the older game features (returning the camera angles back to pre-nge, expertise points now to replace the old skill trees - which were superb).

When you have 32 professions to look after, with broken game code, things had to be done. SOE bit that bullet and it when BANG in their face. Alot of the changes were not discussed with the community - hence the anger from alot of them. NGE has moved forward and improved - just to play on Mustafar is worth the monthly fee alone as it is an incredible experience.

I am having more fun now as some of the old stuff comes back, and I look to the future because the dev team ARE working hard to fix things and it really is about time these so called 'veterans' stop spamming boards with their pointless crap and out of date information.

If they haven't played the game for 2 years, how do they know what is going on? They dont..
    How do you come up with the idea that a person who joined when the NGE hit has been playing longer than a pre-CU player?

I started at launch and have never quit, I think that makes it so that I have played longer than a person who started during the NGE. lol

• sgtweppssgtwepps Member Posts: 207

Couple more months and NGE players have played longer than the precu whiners ;)

I've been playing 2003-2007, a true vet :)

• Mark701Mark701 Member Posts: 108

I played SWG when it first came out. It was a good game, though not a great one. However, one thing I absolutely LOVED was the crafting system.  Its the only game where the quality of identical items could vary depending on your skill, the quality of your crafting machines and quality of your components. I've haven't seen anything like it since. However, at the time there was no space flight, the missions were limited, and there never seemed to be a whole lot of people around so over a period of about 6 months I got bored and quit. This was pre CU-NGE.

However, when I saw that I could try it again free for 2-weeks I figured what the heck, I'd give it a try.  Well to be honest, I was shocked. Nothing was familiar. I was able to log in my old toon but all my extremely expensive crafting machines, miners, solar power collectors, the homes that I had built etc. were gone, as apparently were many of my old skills. The interface was new and unfamiliar and there was only one other person in the city I was in!

Then I looked around the environment and to be honest, it was plain ugly. I mean Tatooine was never a pretty place but the desert environment had a stark beauty of it own. Somehow it seemed darker and dirtier than when I played and just plain ugly.

To be honest I couldn't see myself struggling through all the changes to play in a game where their appeared to be no one else around.  So after about an hour, I closed the account.

I never bore Sony any ill-will while I played and still don't. I play EQ2 and they've managed the game fairly well. I just don't understand how they and Lucas Arts could have screwed up so badly. If they reverted the game to it's pre CU-NGE state I'd be back in a minute. Barring that, it's not worth the amount of time I'd have to spend to relearn things and reestablish myself in the game. However, for those whose have never played the game, it might be worth the effort. But for a pre-CU-NGE player, it's not.

• dirtyd77dirtyd77 Member UncommonPosts: 383

Just got my 39 month vet reward...   Added that extra inventory deed to my bunker.... nice being able to hold 200 more items now.

• ekicekic Member Posts: 163

Nice job Obraik ;)

• AvimesoAvimeso Member Posts: 57

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

I had played SWG pre NGE and left because of grind and endless rents. I am back now for 3 days and putting serious gametime into the game.Like it a lot so far.Quests make grinding far less painful.Yep...playing Jedi atm though I have tried a Bounty Hunter as well.. Finding a well populated server is key for those considering comming back.

• ekicekic Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by Arawon

I had played SWG pre NGE and left because of grind and endless rents. I am back now for 3 days and putting serious gametime into the game.Like it a lot so far.Quests make grinding far less painful.Yep...playing Jedi atm though I have tried a Bounty Hunter as well.. Finding a well populated server is key for those considering comming back.

WB, what server are you on?

• SammoHalonSammoHalon Member Posts: 15

after 2 months of waiting 2 try and buy the game off amazon,(they kept putting the date back, the b******s! ) i've finally got the game and im really looking forward to playing it. i do need some advie though.

1. wots the best UK server (most populated)?

2. wots the best vechiles for space and land?

3. where should i not go wen im a low lvl?

• sirjayko2sirjayko2 Member Posts: 37

you know what I think of it? I think it kindof sucks because i dont have the programs needed....

SirJayko- Peace in unachievable. War is immanent.

• Hoobley_deletedHoobley_deleted Member Posts: 677

Originally posted by sirjayko2

you know what I think of it? I think it kindof sucks because i dont have the programs needed....

What does this mean?

• Mupp3nMupp3n Member Posts: 56

Hi, and Great Guide, although, im not a Pre-NGE/CU Player. 

Personally, the game is awesome, though.. I dont know how to activate a Trial on the DVD Client.

And i dont wanna Download 2 files above 1.2gb each, for 24 hours. ( The Trial that is )

Im sitting on a 100mbit broadband named BBB From Sweden, yes im From Europe. That might be the case of slow-speed from the website.

Anyhow, does anyone know if you can activate a Trial account from the DVD version, Full game that is.

Else im screwed. And, anyone know any Stores that sell the SWG Gamecards? I'd love to know, As i cant use the online method.

This might be in the wrong Forum/Topic to ask, sorry if i caused any problems, im new on this Forum.

Thanks in advance!

*Edit: I found out i had 15 days FreeTrial or something on the account when loggin into the Launcher.

Didnt know about that before, anyway. Thanks*

• DargnonDargnon Member Posts: 56

Its sad that player has to change settings to allow smooth autotarget + autofire.

However since NGE ive never had to use any MOD to play. You just have to change few things in options, thats all. There are some issues with the UI but it is completelly playable. Those who need mods are probably just lazy to get used to something new.

• DargnonDargnon Member Posts: 56

And, anyone know any Stores that sell the SWG Gamecards? I'd love to know, As i cant use the online method.

This might be in the wrong Forum/Topic to ask, sorry if i caused any problems, im new on this Forum.

Thanks in advance!

*Edit: I found out i had 15 days FreeTrial or something on the account when loggin into the Launcher.

Didnt know about that before, anyway. Thanks*

Hi, iam glad to hear you have a trial activated.

About the gamecards, you can use the basic SOE gametime cards that work for all SOE games. But i doubt you will get them in Europe by other means than internet order - SOE distribution sucks. So i suggest finding a friend who can buy the card from internet for you. Like you give him the money and he uses his card/account to order the gametime card. I guess there are even shops that offer to not physically send the gametime card to you (like from USA or Canada) but will just send you the code from it in e-mail. You will say the shipment rates and you wil get the code.

edit - For example go to E-bay and search for soe game cards. Anyone can buy the card for you from E-bay and he will receive the code to activate the game to his email.

• DevilHawkDevilHawk Member Posts: 179

Originally posted by DenSirak

Originally posted by Reachwind

LOL @ having to mod a game to make it playable.
    That's pretty much WoW in a nutshell

lol I was just thinking that... I've been having to use a modded UI for wow for what... 3yrs now? And a whole lot of people go through their UI withdrawls after every big patch that screws it up.

Now what SWG needs, is to encourage the communiy to make UI mods for the game. Would make it a whole hell of a lot better.

As far as SWG currently, I've been pissed for so long at SOE that its been ages since I played, untill just two days ago one of my buds dragged me back for the free trial.

"It's not that bad now, but its not good either." It may hold people over that are sick of Wow til AoC or JumpGate Evolution comes out...

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

nevermind.

• TrubadurenTrubaduren Member Posts: 575

Originally posted by Hoobley

Originally posted by sirjayko2

What does this mean?

That NGE is not that fun, acctualy if i would scale it amongst all the other mmorpgs out there, it would probably be last, Infact, i would play anyother mmo over SWG-NGE.

You get the drift?

Starwars Galaxies, An Empier Diveded, That's what it says on my box anyway.