Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We need a "Smackdown" forum and better moderation within game forums

Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

Im involved with several non-related forums and one thing I like about some of these is that there is a place for open arguing and debating (to an extent)

flames and anything "smackdown" related takes place here, and not in general or in game forums.  It seems every time something about any game is posted positively within the game forum you are trying to research, numerous uninformed people pop in and post FUD on these positive topics (trolling)

it will give people to get harsh feelings off their chest while leaving the specific game forums clean of noise

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."

Comments

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

I totally agree.

Since this place became the fast-food MMO site, the forums are all it has going for it now.

• TaeraTaera Community ManagerMember CommonPosts: 1,078

MMORPG.com is a site focused on the gaming world; we encourage debate and differing opinions, but trolling and personal attacks are not welcome on our current forums, nor in the near future, any new ones.

While I understand the desire to voice frustrations, you can't just walk up to someone at your office or school and start spewing insults without getting in trouble, and you can't do it here, either :)  If you don't have something nice to say, take a break: write an angry post then delete it, go kill someone in a PVP game, etc; respect that other people will have differant opinions than you and, while it's ok to disagree, it's not ok to call them names. 

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com

Originally posted by darwa

I totally agree.
    Since this place became the fast-food MMO site, the forums are all it has going for it now.

Fast-food MMO site?

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com

• uncusuncus Member UncommonPosts: 528

Unfortunately, flamers will always exist.  A "Smackdown" forum would be fine, but really all that is needed is [perhaps] better moderation.  There is some "self policing" done here - most times when some dumbass leaves merely the comment "x game sucks", that dumbass is called out for not being specific as to why that game sucks.

If you are asking for forums that only allow positives about any given game to be posted, then I must strongly disagree with you.  I like that there are intelligent people posting here with different opinions about various games.  For example, as a [very?] casual player, I love LOTRO; most people who have more time to play post here that it is too easy.  It is generally easy here to sort the wheat from the chaff - you might have to scroll through a few posts to do so, but it can be done.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

People here strangely find that if you in any way speak badly about game it equals to trolling ?!

So if one would come and say for example "Dark and Light is a scam , do not buy or preorder this game" he will be automatically branded as hater and troll. This actually happened...

But

If  PRAISING a game is the only thing allowed in the game forum, than why the hell we do have this forums ?

I come here to find relevant information on games. Thanks to this site and its forums i knew that FURY sucks way before Gamespot.com rated it 4.0 , or I knew that Tabula Rasa is not that awsome. I also knew that LOTRO is nothing but WOW with LOTR skin - but it was information i needed to MAKE AN EDUCATED DECISION!

Stick and stones will hurt the bones - but words will not. Your game will not be hurt by posts on forums, have no fear!

They might only give you a warning

A welcome warning

Instead of religious chant of fanboys ... perhaps we need "Praise of fanboy" forum instead

If you are interested in helping with moderation, check out our Opportunities page :)  Otherwise, remember to "report" any RoC breaking posts that you find on our forums.  The "report" tool helps us out with moderation; this is a big site and our staff does its best to police the recent posts, but sometimes things slip by.

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com