Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Latest word on housing?

I remember when WoW went live - there was talk of housing by the devs, but that it was not a priority.  I havent played in a while...  whats the latest word on housing nowadays?  Still on the plate?  Coming with the next expansion?  Devs still saying its on their wishlist, IE - no implementation in sight?

"...and with that cryptic comment, I'm off to bed!"

Comments

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138
    Originally posted by Greslore

I remember when WoW went live - there was talk of housing by the devs, but that it was not a priority.  I havent played in a while...  whats the latest word on housing nowadays?  Still on the plate?  Coming with the next expansion?  Devs still saying its on their wishlist, IE - no implementation in sight?

No word on player housing, however Guild Banks are supposed to be in the next patch.

• RuthgarRuthgar Member Posts: 730

Housing was supposed to go out shortly after launch, but now it is on the back burner.

It isn't part of WOTLK. I wouldn't expect it for another year or two, if they even put it in.

• cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094

I used to think WoW hosuing was a usless feature.. an instant room, how exciting... but LOTRO does neighbour-hoods, kind of like an instanced zone with 50 houses in there... now that type of housing Id like but EQ2 style instanced room.. no point... and world is not big enough for VG non-instanced housing.

Yes we are getting guild banks in 2.3 patch (out soon) and we are getting guild vs guild PvP queues on Battlegrounds in WotLK also. So maybe guild halls are on the horizon?

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

I remember there were much more promises what will WoW contain before release. It was far more overhyped than Vanguard ever dreamed of.

REALITY CHECK

Originally posted by Thillian

I remember there were much more promises what will WoW contain before release. It was far more overhyped than Vanguard ever dreamed of.

Maybe Vanguard should have spent a little more time hyping their game and a little less getting rid of the bugs....er....well....on second thought I guess they didn't have much time to hype it did they? LOL

I can't believe that anyone has the guts to still put WoW and Vanguard in the same sentence.

• junerianjunerian Member Posts: 60

Originally posted by Pappy13

Originally posted by Thillian

Maybe Vanguard should have spent a little more time hyping their game and a little less getting rid of the bugs....er....well....on second thought I guess they didn't have much time to hype it did they? LOL

I can't believe that anyone has the guts to still put WoW and Vanguard in the same sentence.

Vanguard > WoW

• Player_420Player_420 Member Posts: 686

Sorry bro, WoW devs dont give a rats ass about what their players want. Except new gear and raids, which they are slooooow on....WoW is just sucking up money for Blizzards next MMO, and not giving enough back to the community...thats why I quit my lvl 70's

I play all ghame

Originally posted by Player_420

Sorry bro, WoW devs dont give a rats ass about what their players want. Except new gear and raids, which they are slooooow on....WoW is just sucking up money for Blizzards next MMO, and not giving enough back to the community...thats why I quit my lvl 70's
    Yep exactly why I quit too all Blizz cares about is the $ (haha Bli$$ard) but I also hate people who bash on VG with no real basis BESIDES the launch. I played VG only reason I'm not right now is because not enough time or cash to sub to any MMO, I didn't play at launch no and to my understanding it was very bad but it isn't bad at all now.

Yes it has a few bugs here and there but nothing game breaking the crafting system is 100x  WoW's or any game I've played and I love the features. Not to mention the graphics make it 10x more beautiful than any other game.

So all in all for me Vanguard is > WoW by far....at launch maybe not so but it has come a long way since launch.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

yes, that's why they've added and continue to add most of the really popular 3rd party UI mods to the in-game UI over the past few years...

because they don't look and see what players want...

and that's why they added hard mode for dungeons and capped raids at 25 instead of the old 40... you know, because players asked for it...

and that's why they're speeding up leveling time between 20-60 so more people can get through the legacy content... you know.. beacuse people asked for it...

and that's why the upcoming expansion is adding a lot to PVP.. you know... because people asked for it...

Honestly,

Sorry bro. I mean, obviously 9 million people are wrong and just have bad taste in games.. obviously it's the most popular MMO because... it sucks? 

right.... man these arguments are funny. Way to be an off-topic jack a$$

Anywho...

housing - WoW should add a LOTRO type of neighborhood housing system, or at LEAST instanced guild halls in major cities. Sure they'd be "ripping off' the other guys, but they all ripped off everything from WoW, which ripped off everything from EQ... which ripped off..... etc etc.

Originally posted by heerobya

yes, that's why they've added and continue to add most of the really popular 3rd party UI mods to the in-game UI over the past few years...

and that's why they added hard mode for dungeons and capped raids at 25 instead of the old 40... you know, because players asked for it...

and that's why they're speeding up leveling time between 20-60 so more people can get through the legacy content... you know.. beacuse people asked for it...

and that's why the upcoming expansion is adding a lot to PVP.. you know... because people asked for it...

Honestly,

Sorry bro. I mean, obviously 9 million people are wrong and just have bad taste in games.. obviously it's the most popular MMO because... it sucks? 

Anywho...

housing - WoW should add a LOTRO type of neighborhood housing system, or at LEAST instanced guild halls in major cities. Sure they'd be "ripping off' the other guys, but they all ripped off everything from WoW, which ripped off everything from EQ... which ripped off..... etc etc.

They added most of that after months or even years of players asking for it. And they promise features that players want that the game still hasn't seen yet years later.

And the faster leveling is just to attract new players because the distance between new players and their friends is to high and that cuases alot of potential customers to leave.

And as for the amount of players? at least 1/2 of them are under the age of 16 and attracted to the simplistic gameplay and cartoonish graphics.

Originally posted by junerian

Yep exactly why I quit too all Blizz cares about is the $ (haha Bli$$ard) but I also hate people who bash on VG with no real basis BESIDES the launch. I played VG only reason I'm not right now is because not enough time or cash to sub to any MMO, I didn't play at launch no and to my understanding it was very bad but it isn't bad at all now.

Yes it has a few bugs here and there but nothing game breaking the crafting system is 100x  WoW's or any game I've played and I love the features. Not to mention the graphics make it 10x more beautiful than any other game.
    So all in all for me Vanguard is > WoW by far....at launch maybe not so but it has come a long way since launch.

Ok, so let me get this straight.  You didn't play at launch and you're not playing now.  You hate people who bash on VG with no real basis BESIDES the launch, even though that's exactly what I was referring to.  You discount the launch like it didn't happen and yet you say "All in all....".  All in all?  For most people when they say "all in all", they are taking EVERYTHING into consideration.  My comments were in regards to Thillian's comments that WoW was the most over-hyped game, even moreso than Vanguard and yet WoW had one of the most successfull launches in the history of MMO's (despite what the nay sayers say) and Vanguard's was one of the worst in recent history.  I'm glad that Vanguard is working out the issues and maybe it has come a long way, BUT it had a VERY VERY LONG WAY TO GO IN THE FIRST PLACE.  For anyone to even suggest that WoW was more over hyped than Vanguard is ridiculous.  WoW is the most successfull (I didn't say best) MMO in the history of the genre and that's by a long shot.  I don't know how in the world it could have possibly been overhyped when NO ONE in their wildest imagination thought it would do as well as it has, not even Blizzard.  Vanguard got off to a horrible start, so it was badly over hyped and it's just now (at least according to you) starting to fix the problems that plagued it from launch.  All in all, Thillian doesn't have a clue what he's talking about and I WASN'T bashing on Vanguard BESIDES the launch, I was directly referring TO the launch.

• AguyAguy Member Posts: 561

Your Vanguard fanboi BS is not wanted here.  We know how much you hate Blizzard and how you think they're a bad company for wanting money.  Cry me a river.

Honestly,

Anywho...

They added most of that after months or even years of players asking for it. And they promise features that players want that the game still hasn't seen yet years later.

And the faster leveling is just to attract new players because the distance between new players and their friends is to high and that cuases alot of potential customers to leave.

And as for the amount of players? at least 1/2 of them are under the age of 16 and attracted to the simplistic gameplay and cartoonish graphics.

Ah I see, yes how dare Blizzard actually take time to make and implement wanted features into the game!  Oh and Blizzard is making it easier to level up more because most of their players have lvl 70's and it's easier for their alts to lvl up.  And may I also add most WoW players are above the age of 18?

• TmacattackTmacattack Member Posts: 61

Mindsnap's House of Whores, I won't even have to pay my montly subscription.

Originally posted by Pappy13

Ok, so let me get this straight.  You didn't play at launch and you're not playing now.  You hate people who bash on VG with no real basis BESIDES the launch, even though that's exactly what I was referring to.  You discount the launch like it didn't happen and yet you say "All in all....".  All in all?  For most people when they say "all in all", they are taking EVERYTHING into consideration.  My comments were in regards to Thillian's comments that WoW was the most over-hyped game, even moreso than Vanguard and yet WoW had one of the most successfull launches in the history of MMO's (despite what the nay sayers say) and Vanguard's was one of the worst in recent history.  I'm glad that Vanguard is working out the issues and maybe it has come a long way, BUT it had a VERY VERY LONG WAY TO GO IN THE FIRST PLACE.  For anyone to even suggest that WoW was more over hyped than Vanguard is ridiculous.  WoW is the most successfull (I didn't say best) MMO in the history of the genre and that's by a long shot.  I don't know how in the world it could have possibly been overhyped when NO ONE in their wildest imagination thought it would do as well as it has, not even Blizzard.  Vanguard got off to a horrible start, so it was badly over hyped and it's just now (at least according to you) starting to fix the problems that plagued it from launch.  All in all, Thillian doesn't have a clue what he's talking about and I WASN'T bashing on Vanguard BESIDES the launch, I was directly referring TO the launch.

I'm not playing now becuase I don't have the money and if I did I don't have the time to make sub'ing to any MMO worth while. And see thats the funny thing about perspectives....for me by saying all in all I meant what I experienced in my time frame playing WoW and playing VG VG > WoW.

I didn't say anything about the launch of WoW and had actually misread what you had said. So that is my fault there but also they arn't *just* starting to work out the bugs they've been working them out and for quite a little bit now the game has been more than playable without running into game breaking bugs for quite some time.

Originally posted by Aguy

Your Vanguard fanboi BS is not wanted here.  We know how much you hate Blizzard and how you think they're a bad company for wanting money.  Cry me a river.

Honestly,

Anywho...

Ah I see, yes how dare Blizzard actually take time to make and implement wanted features into the game!  Oh and Blizzard is making it easier to level up more because most of their players have lvl 70's and it's easier for their alts to lvl up.  And may I also add most WoW players are above the age of 18?

They place wanted features onto the back burner and just add features to make more money first.

And after years of features on the back burner they finally start actually devloping them.

And what game have you been playing? low level areas 80% or more of the people there are under the age of 16 (don't beleive me login make new character and start asking) mid level areas 50% of the people are under age of 15. End game raid guilds at least 30% of them are composed of people of the age 16 or under not to mention 99% of the night elf race is kids age 13 and under. I would have to say from personnal experience (had 3 level 60 toons never played after BC) that at the very least 50% of this game are the age of 16 and under if not more.

• QuinguQuingu Member Posts: 400

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/gameId/45/setView/features/loadFeature/1541

• DeViLzzz2007DeViLzzz2007 Member Posts: 107

any game where you rely on other human beings to make it more enjoyable you are going to find alot of misery .... the human race is in need of being wiped out ..

as for housing I think they could do it but they need to charge alot for it and have it be meaningful in that you can store a heck of alot in it but the problem is that if it costs too much there will be no pt to it ... personally I think the guild banks will be a great addition and if people are playing the game right those should be enough but for individuals we should be able to pay for donkeys with saddlebags to leave outside dungeons and be charged accordingly for them .... uhmm heck not just outside dungeons but wherever we wnt them but the thing is you would not be able to use your flying mount when renting one and you have to return the mule to the town you rented it from

Money is the root of all evil.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855

About a month ago a Blizzard developer was asked about player housing/guild halls and he said that it was pretty much a useless feature and that it would make the player base even more anti-social.

He said that the players would spend all their time either in their house or their guild hall and rarely leave to interact with other people. He also said that it would take a lot of development time to make all the graphics and stuff for player houses and guild halls. Development time that could be better spent in other areas.

You people also fail to realise that Blizzard has limited resources and the money made from WoW goes to Vivendi and not Blizzard. But, hey, thats a fact that people have been trying to tell you anti-WoW fanboys for 3 years.

• just a failed promise.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

And what game have you been playing? low level areas 80% or more of the people there are under the age of 16 (don't beleive me login make new character and start asking) mid level areas 50% of the people are under age of 15. End game raid guilds at least 30% of them are composed of people of the age 16 or under not to mention 99% of the night elf race is kids age 13 and under. I would have to say from personnal experience (had 3 level 60 toons never played after BC) that at the very least 50% of this game are the age of 16 and under if not more.
    Why the fear and hatred of "children?"  They are game players, just like anyone else, and just like a lot of older folks, some are jerks and pretty much useless.  But some are not.

Sort of amazing how everything Blizzard did deliver on is so overshadowed by the things they didn't, and of all those, housing has to be one of the most useless and inane features that any game could include.  Talk about something that is totally worthless (to me) and I could not care if any game had housing.  (Maybe because I own a real house?)

If they ever provide it....great.... will make a fine follow-up for people who enjoyed "Barbie's Playhouse" when they were little.  Meanwhile, be grateful for what they have delivered so far...its pretty good all in all.

(and I don't even play the damn game anymore) 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Enforcer71Enforcer71 Member UncommonPosts: 780

Originally posted by Aguy

Honestly,

Anywho...

They place wanted features onto the back burner and just add features to make more money first.

And after years of features on the back burner they finally start actually devloping them.

So what are you trying to tell us? That your 16? Dont go throwing out % unless you have the means to back them up either. I could tell you right now on my server that you are way off.

Oh and again I will ask the question, if you hate the game so much why the hell do you hang around in the forums? Really some people make absolutely no sense at all.

Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be there,
    80 are nothing but targets, 9 are the real fighters.
    Ah, but one, ONE of them is a warrior,
    and he will bring the others home.
    -Heraclitus 500BC

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

WoW should just completely steal AoC guild city idea with a minor tweak that the houses are individual owned and customized.

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

Instead of jaw-jacking one another over this, why not discuss some things you'd like to see in player housing and guild halls?

Do you want an instanced house/guild hall?  As in, everyone goes to the same building/house, but once inside... it's an instance for each individual (house) or each guild (guild hall).

I don't think they would allow us to buy houses and drop them on land (SWG style)... we would wallpaper the continents in houses and thus, no creatures would spawn. 

Instanced housing is really the only option for WoW, imho.

With that said...

I would like to be able to drop items into the house/guild hall and for them to be visible to other players that have access to the house.  That lvl 60 legendary weapon that your guild killed themselves for... put it in the guild hall so that old guildies can remember good times and so new guildies can see what type of goals are achievable.

Old suits of armor... like the LvL 70 PvP suits that are going away forever.  If you have players with full suits, put them up in your guild hall or house.  Have every suit lined up in a row or something of the sort.

Other things to put in the house/guild hall:

Rare pets that no longer drop...

Your old lvl 19 twink suit...

Collections of tabards...

BG battle tokens that you don't need... (wallpaper your guild hall in them)...

The things in the house/hall would belong to the owner of the house/hall.  In your house, you would own everything and the items in it would not be useable by other players (you could check stats and get information on an item, but that's it).  The item owner/house-hall owner could move and pickup items whenever they choose.

Really, I think it would be very cool to see the lengths that players would go to with their personal 'shrines' and muzeum's.  Other games have done this and it has really seemed to give the community 'something else' to do.

I think it's a 'cool' concept.  But I don't know that it would bring a lot of new players to the game or old players back to the game.  It may bring some folks in with a flair for that type of thing? 

Most of the time, I've got better things to do in games than set up a house / guild hall.  I'm sure you do, too.  But if you had a place to keep 'old' items that you just didn't want to part with... that could be what this place is for. 

• garbonzogarbonzo Member Posts: 260

I imagine someone who raided Naxx would like a display case in their house for their T3 set, rather than a few shards that were sold, then turned into enchants on gear that was sharded... 

I think a lot of the benefit of housing is basically a memorial for your accomplishments - a museum of the journey beyond your current gear and level.  Maybe instead of instanced guildhalls and houses, they could offer "storefront" displays in towns, and statues, etc.  Example: superguild X has a glass case in IF where they display their MTs armor and a short description of him/her.  Or the first player to complete certain objectives (complete T6 set, solo an extremely difficult quest, etc) gets a statue of them somewhere (I think Spellborn is doing this?)   There could be solutions to make these things accessible to players who are more casual as well.   Of course it would need to be done in a way that doesn't turn the cities into thrifts shops, but it could satisfy the housing urge while keeping people sociable.

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

Perhaps the owner of the house/guild hall could set entry permissions?  Maybe they keep the place locked down until it's decorated, and then they allow everyone to enter once it's complete?

Then Blizz could hold a contest each month to see which houses/halls were decorated the best?  Maybe the top 10 houses/guild halls could be displayed in main areas of capital cities?  Or maybe on a per-server basis... the top 2-3 for horde and the top 2-3 for alliance?