Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

for all the vets SWG alternative

Tried the eve free trial and you know what its not bad 

It has plenty of reading a complex craft -trade system, skill based,pvp where death means something just about everything in SWG except a ground game.  If your looking for something other than the clones try EVE you might like it. I know i enjoy it after  CoV @ WoW (lol most my corp are WoW burnouts)

I know most have heard about it in here maybe even played it but im just here trying to plant a seed so no flames please.

Try the trial. What do you have to lose? Except time.

Comments

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

I think you may have a point. I have played EVE for several years, but  had never really heard of SWG before coming to this forum. After all I have read, I really wish I had had an opportunity to play SWG when it first came out. Also, I think most EVE players realize that the lack of a ground game is a weakness, but that nothing can be done about it and that the game makes up for it in other ways. Secretly, I would love to play a game just like EVE but in a more grounded environment. I just don't think it will ever happen not for me anyway.

• Interl0perInterl0per Member Posts: 27

I started with SWG, went to WoW and a couple others looking for a Pre-CU replacement until I found Eve.  Eve has much of the sandbox feel of Pre-CU SWG with a cool backstory beautiful environments and smooth gameplay.  Never needed to look back on SWG since I found Eve :)

• rollnstnsrollnstns Member Posts: 53

HAs EvE added Avatars yet? If not, aren't they planning to do so?

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540
    Originally posted by rollnstns

HAs EvE added Avatars yet? If not, aren't they planning to do so?

yes , including walking in stations and i think walking in ships, this will be in the next major patch thing.

playing eq2 and two worlds

• JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357

The Saga of Ryzom is a good Fantasy SWG alternative. It is a sandbox game that allows you to be whoever you want to be, heavily crafter dependent game, actually has content, PvP, and creation tools to make your own content.

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931
    Originally posted by BushMonkey

Tried the eve free trial and you know what its not bad 

It has plenty of reading a complex craft -trade system, skill based,pvp where death means something just about everything in SWG except a ground game.  If your looking for something other than the clones try EVE you might like it. I know i enjoy it after  CoV @ WoW (lol most my corp are WoW burnouts)

I know most have heard about it in here maybe even played it but im just here trying to plant a seed so no flames please.

Try the trial. What do you have to lose? Except time.

I've heard good things about EVE from friends ^_^.

Originally posted by JK-Kanosi

The Saga of Ryzom is a good Fantasy SWG alternative. It is a sandbox game that allows you to be whoever you want to be, heavily crafter dependent game, actually has content, PvP, and creation tools to make your own content.

I'm thinking that Ryzom wasn't making money, changed ownership recently and is apparently not doing well.  Am I getting that right?  An SWG vet pal went there for the sandbox, skill-based feel of it and was really enjoying herself.  I hope someone can breathe some life into it if the rumours I heard are true.

• miffywiffymiffywiffy Member Posts: 245

There is no SWG pre cu ALT because it was unique.

• Bane82Bane82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,242

As many good things I heard about Eve, it's just not the same without a ground game sigh... guess I'll have to wait for Bioware to hopefully make our hopes be a reality.

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Personally I wouldnt class Eve as an SWG alternative.  I recently started looking through the list of sci-fi based mmos listed on mmorpg.com.  The first thing I did was remove the non-mmorpgs from the list.

e.g. mmofps games (e.g. Huxley), space sims (whether point and click or simulators), pure "war" based games (e.g. Tabula Rasa) and mech warrior games.  i did this because I felt that all of the above imo shouldnt be classed the same as scifi ground-based mmorpgs.    Maybe they should have their own categories, I dont know.

Don't get me wrong, Eve has its own appeal, mostly to the PVP crowds I expect.  But its nothing like SWG.   The only similarity is that the two have combat set in space.  Eve isnt predominately a ground based MMO.  Space sim MMO's in general are nice and different, albeit for a short period.  But, when all is said and done space is just......space.  It can get a little boring because of the lack of terrain difference.  But, I'm sure others like it.

Tabula Rasa is ground based, but its predominantly a war based game which has little social aspects to it.  It doesnt have the same aspects as SWG such as housing, a dynamic market system which caters for many different categories of items which can be created by players.  I don't mind that it has instances.  Personally I think instances are one of the most efficient ways of dealing with large populations in MMO's, ( but I'll save that for another thread hehe). 

TR just doesnt feel like a "true" scifi based mmo in my opinion.  Once again, I'm sure TR appeals to a certain audience who will no doubt love it to bits.  Its just not for me.

Therefore, I feel that with what is left there is only one game out there that comes close to the same genre as SWG....and thats Anarchy Online.   Its unfortunate that Anarchy Online hasn't had an overhaul or a sequal.  In my opinion, with AoC's engine, AO or even AO2 could be a good competitor for SWG. 

EDIT:  I had hopes for Infinity online when I saw the amazing graphics engine they're working on.  But it seems that Infinity is going to be a space sim with the ability to fly in atmospheres of planets .  But no getting out of your ship and walking around the planet surface. 

I suppose the only other possibility is KOTOR online.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Alternatives? There is none really.

Picking out the pieces...

Combat/Sci-Fi = Tabula Rasa or Planetside

Space combat/Sci-Fi = Eve Online

Housing/Crafting = Vanguard or UO

Just accept there is nothing else out there atm, and find a different type of game to play.

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604

EvE is s agood game itself, but saying it is an alternative to SWG is like saying "Farscape" was an alternative to "Star Trek." 

EvE has a completely different mood, playstyle, and objective.

• Interl0perInterl0per Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by tman5

EvE is s agood game itself, but saying it is an alternative to SWG is like saying "Farscape" was an alternative to "Star Trek." 
    EvE has a completely different mood, playstyle, and objective.

No doubt, perhaps "replacement" is a better description for Eve's relationship to Pre-CU :)

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

I just wish there were more valid Sci-Fi alt's out there, period. 

Every game released seems to be filled with orc's, elves, trolls, ogre's, etc.,..

I haven't seen a game on the market that comes close to what SWG brought us.  I try new games and meet the same 'character level' grind with the same orc/troll/elf races and the same character classes.  All linear... all zone hopping/quest grinding madness. 

Sure, SOE may have been a 'grind' to level.  But you could literally level a toon to max level in a few days.  You didn't need to hop from planet to planet (zone to zone) for quests and all of that.  

You could quickly begin to access areas like the DeathWatch Bunker, the Vette, etc.,.. You could begin to PVP and count, quicker.   If your friends were finish temp'd characters, you could join them in a few days... you didn't have to wait weeks to level your character up, get attuned, etc.,.. to run and have fun with them.

The focus wasn't on the grind.  The focus was on you figuring out your template and how to work it to make it suit your play style.  And you had a lot of options... A LOT.  Not just... hey, pick one of 8-12 classes and choose 1 of 3 trees in it... there, you're done. 

SWG had so much going for it... and now, 'not so much'.

Hope a new Sci-Fi game comes along soon. 

Originally posted by BlackWatch

Every game released seems to be filled with orc's, elves, trolls, ogre's, etc.,..
    I haven't seen a game on the market that comes close to what SWG brought us.  I try new games and meet the same 'character level' grind with the same orc/troll/elf races and the same character classes.  All linear... all zone hopping/quest grinding madness. 
    Sure, SOE may have been a 'grind' to level.  But you could literally level a toon to max level in a few days.  You didn't need to hop from planet to planet (zone to zone) for quests and all of that.  
    You could quickly begin to access areas like the DeathWatch Bunker, the Vette, etc.,.. You could begin to PVP and count, quicker.   If your friends were finish temp'd characters, you could join them in a few days... you didn't have to wait weeks to level your character up, get attuned, etc.,.. to run and have fun with them.
    The focus wasn't on the grind.  The focus was on you figuring out your template and how to work it to make it suit your play style.  And you had a lot of options... A LOT.  Not just... hey, pick one of 8-12 classes and choose 1 of 3 trees in it... there, you're done. 

I've been keeping an eye on the StarGate game's development.  My sister and brother-in-law got me into that show a few years ago, and now my kids love it as well.  We're all interested in playing an online game set in that story.  I wanna be a Jaffe, and my son wants to be like Daniel Jackson lol.  My daughter looks up to Col. Carter, and my wife thinks we're all nuts ^_^, but she's happy we're having fun.

• Rodnee42Rodnee42 Member Posts: 41

Have they changed the controls yet. clicking to fly seems stupid to me. that is the main reson I don't play EVE

• Bane82Bane82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,242

Originally posted by BlackWatch

Ahh yes, those were good times. I was lucky I had a friendly enough guild to let me know what builds were the most effective and for what reasons. It was a lot of fun.

• Zaraki199Zaraki199 Member Posts: 101

darkfall will be a fantasy type that has all of them just dno when it will be released

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

this thread pretty much summs up my MMO problem at present.

I started off with AO, shortly after release. God, I loved that game. It took skill, and dedication, to accomplish anything.

The SL was released, and my class (Fixer) was nerfed into oblivion. It changed the whole feel of the game, and of course, there are the Hecklers....

So I moved on to pre-cu SWG. I totally felt right at home, and loved the complexity, and the sand-box nature of the game. As an above poster put it, you could accomplish so much, and had a viable character almost from the start.

And of course...THAT was taken away from me as well.

This is why I've tried so many differant MMOs over the last couple years. and they are all clones of one another, and most of them offer the same pre-packaged phantasy-based elf and orc level grind as the rest.

IMO, EVE is no subsitute. No ground game, click this, click that, and real-time progression (click "train", go afk for 2 days....yawn) kill the game for me.

There is no replacement, or substitute for what was lost.

Thank you, SOE.

• BogieBogie Member UncommonPosts: 65

I've been watching the forum on Tabula Rasa and was wondering if anyone here has tried it yet?  It looks kind of interesting, ,but was wondering what others thought.  I can't play it at the moment since my computer needs to be updated to play it.

Bogie

Corellian Run
    Jedi Sentinel

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

It's a lot of fun, but it's nothing like old SWG. It's more of a futuristic war game, MMO + 3rd person shooter type game.

Lots of fun, but not a sand-box, and it IS level based. Of course, you're having so much fun most of the time that you don't notice any "grind" at all.

My opinion.

• TridianTridian Member UncommonPosts: 273

Eve is a fantastic game. I got into it about 2 months ago. Little slow at first imo but its still very cool. I havent tried the crafting yet though. Im going all pvp build before i try any mining or building or anything of that sort. So for those of you SWG guys eve does a great job. :)

• Apache_Apache_ Member Posts: 168

I played EvE for a few months a while back.  Its a solid game with alot of strong points.  Great graphics, crafting, and a good PvP system.

what killed it for me was the fact that the scenery never changed.   You were always in space.   Always.   All you ever saw were the stars and your ship.   Sure there were asteroid belts, and planets...but it was still just space.