Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Boycotting the Xpac! Now with POLL!

I'm gonna go ahead and say right now I'm going to pass on Blizzards new Xpac.  While I still play WoW now, I've all ready quit the raid or die grind, and am currently awaiting the 2.3 patch so I can level my BE Pally with my wife and have some fun.

Why boycott the Xpac?   Durrr, why not?

What does the Xpac really OFFER?  New levels, check.  New gear, Check.  New Factions to earn, check.  DESTRUCTIBLE BUILDINGS AND SIE..ge engines.. check, new class check.

So aside the destructabel buildings and siege engines in BG's...what is the point?   There are new games coming out with a totally different focus, solid ideas and IMHO better end games.

So why start over and do the same thing you've done twice now?   I'm gonna go ahead and use the opportunity of WAR's release to give Blizz an object lesson in mediocrity.  It's time to innovate with WoW, or release a new MMO.

Cause frankly, I'm not gonna pay to redo what I've redone so many times before.

Always change your signature.

Comments

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Unless they start doing something that doesnt appeal to masses, there is no chance they add something refreshing, original, or new.

REALITY CHECK

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

Just a suggestion, but I think you will get more hits on your thread if you will note that it has a poll in the title.  Just a simple (poll) will do it.  People will often visit the thread just to vote.

And while not really new to the MMO industry, some are actually excited about the Death Knight, so called hero-class.  It's new for WoW.

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

I do not see how this expansion is any different from other MMORPG expansions. Almost every expansion has an increase in level system, new weapons, new areas. The levels (and subsequent abilities) and equipment make all other achivements made prior to the expansion obsolete. Thus people buy the expansions not so much as a desire to play, but as a neccesity and fear of falling behind.

Thats why I believe that a MMORPG peaks right before or at its first expansion, after which its a slow (or fast) decline.

Torrential

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362

If I was up in court I'd hate to have you on the jury. The prosecution would read it's opening statement and you'd be yelling "Hang him. Hang him now".

The expansion isn't out yet. We don't yet know how good it is.

Warhammer Online isn't out yet. We don't yet know if it's serious competition for WoW or yet another entry in the long list of failed MMOs.

• MrVicchioMrVicchio Member Posts: 598

Originally posted by Antipathy

If I was up in court I'd hate to have you on the jury. The prosecution would read it's opening statement and you'd be yelling "Hang him. Hang him now".
    The expansion isn't out yet. We don't yet know how good it is.
    Warhammer Online isn't out yet. We don't yet know if it's serious competition for WoW or yet another entry in the long list of failed MMOs.
    We do know what the expansion is PROMISEING, which based on WoW's history survey says...

more gear, faction and instance grinds!

So I don't care if WAR bombs and AoC is garbage, I won't pay for the X-pac.

• darkscorpiondarkscorpion Member Posts: 89
    Originally posted by MrVicchio

I'm gonna go ahead and say right now I'm going to pass on Blizzards new Xpac.  While I still play WoW now, I've all ready quit the raid or die grind, and am currently awaiting the 2.3 patch so I can level my BE Pally with my wife and have some fun.

Why boycott the Xpac?   Durrr, why not?

What does the Xpac really OFFER?  New levels, check.  New gear, Check.  New Factions to earn, check.  DESTRUCTIBLE BUILDINGS AND SIE..ge engines.. check, new class check.

So aside the destructabel buildings and siege engines in BG's...what is the point?   There are new games coming out with a totally different focus, solid ideas and IMHO better end games.

So why start over and do the same thing you've done twice now?   I'm gonna go ahead and use the opportunity of WAR's release to give Blizz an object lesson in mediocrity.  It's time to innovate with WoW, or release a new MMO.

Cause frankly, I'm not gonna pay to redo what I've redone so many times before.

while i dont agree with your idea of boycotting the xpac, i will admit that Blizz needs to pull a rabbit out their behind with thsi new xpac if they wanna get people back. i mean they may have like 8 mill or so accounts but the latest cenus count stats that there is only 6+ million active toons.  So numbers are dropping a bit

• GemmaGemma Member UncommonPosts: 337

Boycotting won't change a thing. The fanbase is too huge and a few people aren't going to make a dent in Blizzard's massive income.

• DreadlichDreadlich Member UncommonPosts: 597

Death Knight sounds cool. Reminds me of my Champ from DAoC.

WoW is nothing without gear, quests and factions. If you don't want to do those things then I agree, don't buy the Xpac and quit WoW now.

MMOs Played: EQ 1&2, DAoC, SWG, Planetside, WoW, GW, CoX, DDO, EVE, Vanguard, TR
    Playing: WAR
    Awaiting 40k Online and wishing for Battletech Online

Originally posted by Gemma

Boycotting won't change a thing. The fanbase is too huge and a few people aren't going to make a dent in Blizzard's massive income.

Oh they could survive off the hard core care bear raid runners and gold farmers alone.  I know.  But for me, it's only 2 Xpac's I deny the Big Blizz, but it's the most I can do to stick it to mediocrity!

• GemmaGemma Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by Gemma

Oh they could survive off the hard core care bear raid runners and gold farmers alone.  I know.  But for me, it's only 2 Xpac's I deny the Big Blizz, but it's the most I can do to stick it to mediocrity!

I completely agree with the mediocrity part, however I cannot boycott this unless another game draws my attention away first. Hopefully Warhammer will be awesome.

• DreadlichDreadlich Member UncommonPosts: 597

Where's the "I don't play WoW, but I love to hate it, so I'll vote NO" option? I think that's how most of those no votes should be listed.

MMOs Played: EQ 1&2, DAoC, SWG, Planetside, WoW, GW, CoX, DDO, EVE, Vanguard, TR
    Playing: WAR
    Awaiting 40k Online and wishing for Battletech Online

Originally posted by Dreadlich

Where's the "I don't play WoW, but I love to hate it, so I'll vote NO" option? I think that's how most of those no votes should be listed.

Yeah, I'm sure that's the case....  yeah.

• URMAKERURMAKER Member UncommonPosts: 671

wow is the only mmo in history that doesn't have a player base screaming for more end game content. what would it take to keep you entertained? lets here this ground breaking gameplay idea that will keep everyone entertained for months on end that doesn't involve raiding.

the only thing wrong with wows endgame was the grind it takes to get the heroic keys but in 2.3 they are doing away with that and now you'll get heroic keys at honored rep.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

This is unfortunately the big hole in your arguement for two reasons;

1 - You are saying in one breathe that they are not offering anything new and then mentioning the destructable buildings and siege engines in BG's, which is one new offering alone and we still have many months of development ahead yet. OK, that alone does not create a whole new game for people to play, but WoW is what it is and it is not going to change into a whole new game overnight and most certainly will not change the basic formula while it is still the success it is too.

2 - Yes there are new games coming out, but until they are out and we know for certain what they have to offer, how do you know that they are any better or worse in the end game scenario. You condem the xpac because you already 'know' what it is offering, but does that also mean that you take as gospel all of the hype that all the new MMO's are peddling and that is why they will be better?

You play WoW yourself and you are sticking around in anticipation for 2.3, i have an inkling that you will actually buy the expansion when it comes out as your curiosity will get the better of you :)

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702

I quit WoW a while ago so I probably shouldn't be answering this poll. However, hearing about the expansion scenario is part of the reason I quit. COMPLETELY erasing all of your work once a year is a horrible idea. The game brought great things to the MMO world but it's time for it to pass. We need new games to rise.

Originally posted by JonnyWarhawk
    I quit WoW a while ago so I probably shouldn't be answering this poll. However, hearing about the expansion scenario is part of the reason I quit. COMPLETELY erasing all of your work once a year is a horrible idea. The game brought great things to the MMO world but it's time for it to pass. We need new games to rise.

OK, i still don't get this arguement, even after seeing it a thousand times on these boards. Would you have been happy to sit around in the same gear at the same level for the next five years?? Explain it to me please!

.....and 'once a year?' The first expansion was nearly two years in and the second will be about 18 months on from there, with big content patches in between both of them, that is a fair amount of time to wear through the existing content.

• akritasakritas Member Posts: 76

Originally posted by jason_webb

OK, i still don't get this arguement, even after seeing it a thousand times on these boards. Would you have been happy to sit around in the same gear at the same level for the next five years?? Explain it to me please!

.....and 'once a year?' The first expansion was nearly two years in and the second will be about 18 months on from there, with big content patches in between both of them, that is a fair amount of time to wear through the existing content.

Whats so difficult with understanding that ppl are disappointed if they have to replace their epic items they have raided for months to obtain (if its tier 3 than its at least 6months), with damm quest greens/blues that you are getting with just lvl grinding? I mean its not the usual gearing up process where you (and your guild) get a reward for progressing into end-game. Oh yes I read the argument that tier3 was still better then these greens/blues until you were near lvl70 - wow how generous that you could keep your items you have raided your ass off, for 1-2 weeks more... great !!! lol

Well ofc you wont understand if you havent been invloved in end-game raiding.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Please for the love of god, name me one thing that WoW brought into MMO world.

REALITY CHECK

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Originally posted by Thillian

Please for the love of god, name me one thing that WoW brought into MMO world.

pre teens

Originally posted by akritas
    if they have to replace their epic items they have raided for months to obtain (if its tier 3 than its at least 6months), with damm quest greens/blues that you are getting with just lvl grinding? I mean its not the usual gearing up process where you (and your guild) get a reward for progressing into end-game. Oh yes I read the argument that tier3 was still better then these greens/blues until you were near lvl70 - wow how generous that you could keep your items you have raided your ass off, for 1-2 weeks more... great !!! lol

So your answer is 'YES' they would have been happier to have sat in the same gear for the next five years and never had any more gear of better quality added to the game. Hmmm, ok! As for 'rewards for your hard work' this is not real life and you are competing for a promotion, it is a game and you get out what 'you' are willing to put into it. If 'you' choose to work that hard to get that piece of gear, then obtaining it is all the reward you should need and all i see the expansion did was add loftier goals for those that wanted to accept them.

Again, i have said it before and all i see with posts like that is bitterness from people that hated the fact that the playing field had been levelled again with the expansion and they were no longer kings of the hill.

• akritasakritas Member Posts: 76

if they have to replace their epic items they have raided for months to obtain (if its tier 3 than its at least 6months), with damm quest greens/blues that you are getting with just lvl grinding? I mean its not the usual gearing up process where you (and your guild) get a reward for progressing into end-game. Oh yes I read the argument that tier3 was still better then these greens/blues until you were near lvl70 - wow how generous that you could keep your items you have raided your ass off, for 1-2 weeks more... great !!! lol

So your answer is 'YES' they would have been happier to have sat in the same gear for the next five years and never had any more gear of better quality added to the game. Hmmm, ok! As for 'rewards for your hard work' this is not real life and you are competing for a promotion, it is a game and you get out what 'you' are willing to put into it. If 'you' choose to work that hard to get that piece of gear, then obtaining it is all the reward you should need and all i see the expansion did was add loftier goals for those that wanted to accept them.

My answer is "NO", but it doesnt matter since your question was unrealistic. People involved in end-game raiding could obtion a new and better item about every 2-3 weeks, sometimes faster, they didnt sit in the same gear for 2 years and they woudln't in the future. However better gear drops were followed by certain raid achievements and not by killng x mobs.

A lvl 50 blue item could be on par with a lvl 60 green item before TBC, however with TBC a lvl 63 green was better than a lvl 60 epic, this is pure nonsens. I am not sure if you get the meaning, but anyway...

Again, i have said it before and all i see with posts like that is bitterness from people that hated the fact that the playing field had been levelled again with the expansion and they were no longer kings of the hill.

Thats not the point. The ppl who are the 'kings of the hill' before an expansion, will be it after it, quite simply because they play more or are in better organised guilds.

My answer is "NO", but it doesnt matter since your question was unrealistic. People involved in end-game raiding could obtion a new and better item about every 2-3 weeks, sometimes faster, they didnt sit in the same gear for 2 years and they woudln't in the future. However better gear drops were followed by certain raid achievements and not by killng x mobs.

A lvl 50 blue item could be on par with a lvl 60 green item before TBC, however with TBC a lvl 63 green was better than a lvl 60 epic, this is pure nonsens. I am not sure if you get the meaning, but anyway...

Thats not the point. The ppl who are the 'kings of the hill' before an expansion, will be it after it, quite simply because they play more or are in better organised guilds.

Few points;

1 - If they hadn't added new and better gear to the game they would eventually have been sitting around in the same gear and what is the point of that?

2 - So, a L63 blue 'Hatebringer' Underbog drop is now better than a L63 green 'Highmountain Hammer' too as blue stuff was better than green at lower levels too. Things stepped up a notch all around, it is called progression!

3 - If the kings of the hill before will be kings of the hill after, what is the problem???

Blizz can't win either way, if they make changes to progress the game they are flamed and if they don't make any changes they are flamed, personally i vote for progression!

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

Whats so difficult with understanding that ppl are disappointed if they have to replace their epic items they have raided for months to obtain (if its tier 3 than its at least 6months), with damm quest greens/blues that you are getting with just lvl grinding? I mean its not the usual gearing up process where you (and your guild) get a reward for progressing into end-game. Oh yes I read the argument that tier3 was still better then these greens/blues until you were near lvl70 - wow how generous that you could keep your items you have raided your ass off, for 1-2 weeks more... great !!! lol

Is it all just about the color?  What difference does it make whether you replace a purple with another purple or with a green?  I'm sure you have no problem replacing a purple you got from Kara with a purple you got from Gruul's or Black Temple.  Why is it so difficult to replace a purple you got from there with a green from Northrend?  I don't get it either.

Pappy, the point isnt the color, it's the amount of effort to achieve. 

WoW's model is shaping up thusly:

You get to 60, Raid or Die to get great gear, Xpac launches, you (and everyone else) can get far better in mere days of launch.  Reach 70, Raid or Die to get really good items, sometiems spending months running the same 5 instances. 

Now you are near the top (many guilds will never progress past SSC) and all that you have done is worthless, and far better gear is to soon easily be obtained till you hit 80 and do the Raid or Die again struggling to get new gear till the lvl 90 Xpac releases.

It's wash, rinse, repeat of practially the same game with new items.  Fro many that's gotten REALLY old.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Why would people want to play if they didn't add new content and new goals? Boycott is pointless.