Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HGL isn't Diablo

RasereiRaserei Member UncommonPosts: 1,075

HGL is HGL...... They used some aspects of Diablo and mixed it with their vision of what they thought would be awesome. The game is awesome but if you sit there and compare it to Diablo it will diminish the fun.

Soon you will be saying, why isnt this game top down 2d wtf? Why isnt diablo in this? Why isnt there rushing? Where are the gem sockets and cube?

I not kidding, there have ben players in game complaining about this stuff. THIS IS HELLGATE LONDON not Diablo 3.........

In time, they will add more features such as raiding (10-15 players), PvP (Arenas and ranking system)... and that is jus to name a few. In the medium run (6 months) this game will dominate Diablo 2, but in the short run (now until first content patch) the game is average although it is damn fun.

I give it a 9/10 for being HELLGATE LONDON, and hopefully after the first content patch it'll be a 10/10.

Comments

• jus10datljus10datl Member Posts: 45

I think people would rather call it D3 so they can say how it's not as good as Diablo because it doesn't have all the features D2 had. I love the game though... beats me...

• d00fbysanchod00fbysancho Member Posts: 219

People say it because we all know there wont be a diablo3 there could be but i doubt it could be any good since the core creators dont have the rights to the game name anyway.

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 858

Considering that FSS advertise themselves as “creators of the award-winning Diablo® series and the fathers of the action role playing genre” I think people have every right to compare HGL to Diablo/2, and to expect / demand certain features that made those games so great, like, oh I don’t know, a decent story that gives you a sense of purpose, a rich atmosphere, and good character building (eg. Skills that you want to take, not just ones that you take because you have some spare points). I do however agree that people should not call it Diablo 3 as HGL is nothing but a stripped down 3D version of Diablo/2, and IMO is not worthy of being called D3.

I give it a 5/10, and maybe if it lives long enough (it's fun to start with but gets boring quickly) after a year or 7 of updates it may actually be worth playing, but considering how long it took them to get the game to where it is now, and how they dropped certain features like faction uniqueness (beyond just the classes) and the animosity between them because they couldn’t be bothered typing the extra dialog, I won’t be holding my breath.

Hey Acidblood, have you tried retail before giving it your crappy rating?

Originally posted by jus10datl

No, I just read some reviews and talked to a few friends who have played retail and none of them gave me any reason to believe much had changed since late beta.

So, what did change? Becuase I lost any faith a while ago in any sort of 'awesome retail build' that magically addresses all the problems I and so many others had with Alpha/Beta, and I don't mean bugs.

Originally posted by acidblood

No, I just read some reviews and talked to a few friends who have played retail and none of them gave me any reason to believe much had changed since late beta.

So, what did change? Becuase I lost any faith a while ago in any sort of 'awesome retail build' that magically addresses all the problems I and so many others had with Alpha/Beta, and I don't mean bugs.

I was just trying to make a point that you gave this game a rating without even trying it... that is all.

• RasereiRaserei Member UncommonPosts: 1,075

I agree that they shouldn't include the whole "from the makers of diablo" blah blah..... People who dont look into it just seem to think HGL is the next Diablo game where its only similar at most. This confusion has led to a lot of disapointment which coud have been avoided. Sales would have been the same if not better since the flaming started in beta.

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Not true. I would not have bought this game if it hads not been from the makers of Diablo, I would have tried it on pirate or at a friends house and then given up with it after a couple of goes.

Since it was fromthe makers of Diablo, I knew I could play it online with a friend of mine and I wasa confident enough of the quality to pre-order it without trying the demo.

Going down the Diablo avenue has earnt them a good few blind sales. They would have been fools not to.

I also enjoy the diabloesque feel and theme of the game. 

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869

If you are looking at a game closer to Diablo 2 Flagship is also creating Mythos. I think those that like the D2 style would like this game better. That being said HG:L has a lot of differences with Diablo, but it does have the same spirit. The game also starts picking up when you reach the mid teens. I really liked the Millineum Battle where you have to fight through hordes of mobs including some tougher ones to get to the turrets and turn them on. That is one of my favorite instances.

For anyone rating this game who only played the demo or stopped at the beta, they are really doing an injustice to this game. Granted there are still a few bugs but I haven't once been kicked from the game like I was regularly in beta.

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

LMAO can you imagine buying another Flagship product after this one.

Just let them go under in peace.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by baff

Under ? Sorry this isn't Vangard or any of those f2p games that lack content or even those 15 bucks a month mmo games that give you no additional content trying to get your to pay additional fees for expanion packs for the same game you already have been playing for years.

Yes this is no Diablo but it does have some elements that resemble Diablo, that is all.

• markoraosmarkoraos Member Posts: 1,593

Yep, this isn't Diablo 3...

however, this very well might be: www.mythos.com

FSS's other game which is to be free-to-download and free-to-play. They begun it as a test for HGL multiplayer and gfx engine and as a kind of "ye good old times" spoof on their firstborn (Diablo if you didn't know it yet). However the people beta testing it and who are still under NDA do tend to smile vacantly (you can feel the glow through forum posts, really) whenever the game is mentioned so... surprises might be due when the Flagship team splits into HG:L updaters and the other guys looking for a project to finish...

• LucasderosaLucasderosa Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Originally posted by baff

Under ? Sorry this isn't Vangard or any of those f2p games that lack content or even those 15 bucks a month mmo games that give you no additional content trying to get your to pay additional fees for expanion packs for the same game you already have been playing for years.

Yes this is no Diablo but it does have some elements that resemble Diablo, that is all.

Ya, their strategy here is much better. Instead of paying for the upkeep of a game with millions of players and regular small updates you get to pay for features that should have been in the game in the first place.

They essentially released a single-player game but want you to pay monthly while they patch it. 

You cant blame people for comparing it to Diablo. They fully capitalized on  and marketed the "spiritual succesor to diablo" thing...and  since its not.... obviously some people are disappointed and they have a right to be.

Originally posted by acidblood

I was just trying to make a point that you gave this game a rating without even trying it... that is all.

But I did try it, I tried it extensively all the way from Alpha to late Beta (I even got them to alter the way some of the marksman’s grenades work :), and since nothing much seems to have changed (if I'm wrong please enlighten me) I don't see why I shouldn't base my opinion of the game on my Alpha/Beta experiences.

Originally posted by Alekhin

For anyone rating this game who only played the demo or stopped at the beta, they are really doing an injustice to this game. Granted there are still a few bugs but I haven't once been kicked from the game like I was regularly in beta.

But apart from bugs has anything else changed?

Well it's a helluva lot more polished for one. Just more things added. Yes it still needs more tweaks and features. Give it a month or two and we will be seeing more positive things from this game. I wouldn't be sticking to this opinion so much if it wasn't forming as nicely as it has been from beta to retail. 2-3 patches made a difference.

• PipwickyPipwicky Member Posts: 63

going from beta to retail made a big diff, lots of stuff changed just enough to make it polished enough to say its a good game

To make it as good as diabo II was they really need to work on chat, guilds, groups. Right now is still a single player game. The mechanics are just not in there to make it friendly towards finding a group.

Originally posted by Pipwicky

going from beta to retail made a big diff, lots of stuff changed just enough to make it polished enough to say its a good game

To make it as good as diabo II was they really need to work on chat, guilds, groups. Right now is still a single player game. The mechanics are just not in there to make it friendly towards finding a group.

If you don't try to group then you won't. Most people aren't going out of the way to find more members but I made friends quickly and grouping became my favorite part of the game.