Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do MMO companies not send

associates with better english to push their games in the USA?

I think that would help publicity and business if they did.

Kinda sucks to try and read what some of these people post when pushing their games out there....

Just my 2 cents worth  

Comments

• saydursaydur Member UncommonPosts: 185

It's sad.  I've noticed that Korean companies are the worst about this.  While I could go off on a rant about the state of English education in Korea, the end problem is that quality bilingual translators are in relatively short supply in Korea.  Combine this with a general lack of budget, attempts at cutting initial operating costs due to f2p model taking a bit of time to start earning money, and an exceptionally bad example of how to do things in the granddaddy of KMMOS, Ragnarok Online, and suddenly the lack of proper communication starts to become clear.

Still, volunteer translators, particularly on the player side, are just not feasible for a host of reasons.  That, and the differing markets (Look at how Yulgang fared...) leads to some comically bad setups that befuddle me with continued survival.

Nothing against their attempts, it's a noble goal to try to learn a language as difficult and fluid as English.  It's simply that professional, or even semiprofessional use of English is a particularly imposing task.  There's some charm and appeal to a small operation MMO like that, but only when the rest of the interface is extremely easy to work with and fun to play.  I think we'd all be a bit more forgiving of awkward English if the games themselves were easier to get into.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

This is even worse when you are not english native, so you have a half learned english and you need to understand the half learned korean english.