Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Roleplay in future MMOROPGs

CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

I bring up this topic as I was thinking about WoWs new patch. Now, I am the first to say, WoW is NOT a roleplayers online mecca by any stretch. HOwever, what WoW does will resonate throughout the industry. So, the newest WoW addition is in game voice chat. IM an old school roleplayer and have done so since the advent of text MUSH games. If games now start putting in voice chat ...will roleplay suffer?

thoughts?

Torrential

Comments

• caeurcaeur Member Posts: 6

Personally, I don't see voice chat working, not in a roleplay setting anyways. Works well for communication if you're doing raids/ops/whatever, but I see voice chat as a no-go in roleplay. It would be too weird and too clumsy.  Could be interesting to see if/how it could work though, but I have no faith in actually functioning as a roleplayer's tool.

• DyraeleDyraele Member UncommonPosts: 200

Originally posted by caeur

Personally, I don't see voice chat working, not in a roleplay setting anyways. Works well for communication if you're doing raids/ops/whatever, but I see voice chat as a no-go in roleplay. It would be too weird and too clumsy.  Could be interesting to see if/how it could work though, but I have no faith in actually functioning as a roleplayer's tool.

I agree. I could never see chat used for roleplay. There are too many guys playing girls and I don't want to here a guys voice when I see a female character. Of course, the opposite could be true as well with girls playing male characters. Also, a lot of voices just do not match what the character looks like, especially if the person is really young.

On the other hand, I am not sure in game chat will change anything in roleplay. I have never used it for roleplay in the guilds I was in even though we used voice chat for grouping to fight. So, in the end I think things will stay pretty much the same.

AKA - Bruxail

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

I guess I always had a hard time roleplaying using text and then using voice chat when raiding. Just seems to take something away from the mystique of the game. I like what the above poster said....its clumbsy

Torrential

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936

Not a bad idea placing voice chat, but TeamSpeak and Ventrilo already have the market for that and I doubt that WoW's chat service will be all that popular 1 year down the road after folks try it.

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• arcusangelusarcusangelus Member Posts: 8
    I agree with the masses on this one. Voice chat and roleplay is just to damn "clumsy" as everyone has said. Besides, majority of my roleplay is interestingly enough, outside of gameplay (ie: Forums and Guild Sites). I'm sure there will be a select few who can make this work however, but for the majority, I just don't see this as a viable roleplaying option.
  • fujocmiefujocmie Member Posts: 2

Really a good idea to put voice chat in rpg, and so we can feel much true to each other.

• DarknesFallsDarknesFalls Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by Czzarre

I guess I always had a hard time roleplaying using text and then using voice chat when raiding. Just seems to take something away from the mystique of the game. I like what the above poster said....its clumbsy
    Torrential

I'm not saying that voice chat is a bad idea but I always thought a speech to text feature would be useful. (As in you talk and the computer turns it into text for you.) It can already be done with some software but I would definitely find it useful, especially in games where the current Text chat feature is clumsy to use while doing other things.

• arcusangelusarcusangelus Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by DarknesFalls

Originally posted by Czzarre

Torrential

I'm not saying that voice chat is a bad idea but I always thought a speech to text feature would be useful. (As in you talk and the computer turns it into text for you.) It can already be done with some software but I would definitely find it useful, especially in games where the current Text chat feature is clumsy to use while doing other things.

I think the whole changing voice to text would be pretty cool actually, and definetly useful. *shrugs* Whichever, i'm sure people will find a way to make things work on any format. It may not be for everybody, but hey, not everybody has to use it. lol!
  • lopeldlopeld Member Posts: 2

Have never thought of such an idea, but I'm thinking if a game can survive when voice chat added ? How will the chat carry on ?  How many people can chat in the game ?

• lalalala0011lalalala0011 Member Posts: 2

Yes,

Originally posted by lopeld

Have never thought of such an idea, but I'm thinking if a game can survive when voice chat added ? How will the chat carry on ?  How many people can chat in the game ?
  • 1ncision1ncision Member Posts: 2

I was really worried about voice being added to wow for about 2 seconds before i remembered i've tried countless servers and have found very very minimal rp at all.  For rp, voicechat would be a bad idea. but for wow, its a step in the direction the players want.

• highblurhighblur Member Posts: 55

With Voice-chat it might take away the "Role" playing for a lot of people.  Unless you're a so-so actor or one who reads out loud frequently, I feel Voice-chat might take away the "Role" you play, and place you more in your own shoes.  It will be your voice (even if you try to make it sound different) and it seems to me that unless you're really into your character, voice-chat will be more detrimental to the "role" you're trying to play.

• wwsean08wwsean08 Member Posts: 1

I like the idea, but I have to agree about ventrillo basically having the market, although if you can set up a chat between yourself and another player or just your party, then it would probably be good.

• NoUrbanLightNoUrbanLight Member Posts: 70

Now the idea of how voice chat affects roll play is a tricky one. Thanks a bunch for bringing it up.

Now, I haven't played it since it went pay to play so I'm not sure of it's progression, but Uru Live was trying to implement live voice when I was involved in the first batch of open beta testers and almost everyone thought it was a good idea. But then, Uru was, well... "You Are You" and most players were being honest about gender, age, frequently even their weight when building avatars. I'm just sad that whilst I was in the beta it wasn't finished as I would have loved to have seen the effect.

One reason I would greatly support voice chat is flood control. People tend to stop and listen and take their turn, ect, ect. Only issue then would be working out latency issues so one person wouldn't always get talked over just cause their service provider is lagging that night. Since I was mentioning Uru earlier, I should add the old system I used also had a built in feature detecting who was in "earshot" as the idea was that you wouldn't be spammed with ALL the live chatter going on within the instance.

People do bring up the good point though of voices not mentioning characters. People often take roll play as a chance to step outside who they actually are. I know MANY men that play women, and even have a female friend that decided to play a man due to annoyance at her female character constantly getting hit on in a more recent rpg. Really, the only way I could possibly see voice chat working well with the RP aspect of a game is if it was fully integrated into the client and had an incredibly wide range of voice emulator's right at your finger tips. Not to mention commitment on the part of players in a fantasy old world setting resisting the urge to go, "ZOMG pwned!" over your speakers. XD

It COULD work... it'd just require a frackton of effort.

~~~~~
    "Big surprise... there was no protection by this urban light..."

• hotpiehotpie Member Posts: 191

lol. . . that'll be a big help . . . coz now u'll know if ur dealing with a real woman cuz there are lots of players who pretend they're a girl just for their char to be boost by high lvl players

• Yukari_MommaYukari_Momma Member Posts: 50

I've always been an avid roleplayer, and a big hater of voice chat.  It's not for the reasons some might think, though.

Voice chat in and of itself is a rather inconvenient technology.  It gives many the illusion of being better communication, when actually it's harder for some to communicate with it.  First off, it does separate the rich from the poor slightly in that headsets can be expensive, and my experience with regular mics have been that things tend to get garbled.  Another problem is those parents or older siblings that might need to watch kids.  Once an order is said, it's said.  If it is missed, it is missed.  With text, you can just scroll back up and see what was being said.  This makes it more inconvenient on the casual gamers or people with more responsibilities.

Lastly, some people just don't speak clearly...  You know who you are!

• templosttemplost Member Posts: 7

i'm new here!hope every body world like me!

• hkyutirhkyutir Member Posts: 1

On the other hand, I am not sure in game chat will change anything in roleplay. I have never used it for roleplay in the guilds I was in even though we used voice chat for grouping to fight. So, in the end I think things will stay pretty much the same.

• SalonaSalona Member Posts: 7

Hi,

Well personally I don't see voicechat working in a roleplay-environment, for as guys call it 'raids' perhaps, the communication level is totally different.

Imagine you will have to interact all voice-based in a environment normally meant to be text-only. How would you get along making the RP all alive and interactive..doing sounds instead of emotes? Textbased: *draws a sharp blade * Voice based *tap tap tap ,runs into kitchen drawing a kitchen knife from the knife-box* well, ughh doing "raids" the action on the screen would probably do the job for you because you're focused on other things anyway.

RP is about using your imagination and going with the story as if its acctually happening right there on your screen.Your char is the puppet and you just pull the strings.Purely voice based RP would limit interactions big time if you dont want to end up reciting everything which would normally appear in yourtext box. How you would put the brackets ? Voice: Bracket open *Blabla* Bracket close.

You would need a reader..to do all the emotes, or mix it up *talk* *break* *type interaction* *waits* *talks again*

Well anyway I hope you got my point.

Salona

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Voice chat + traditional Rpg does not work. Period.

And believe me, i tried..It may fit into Eves RP with politics, but not a fantasy world. It destroys the illusion of playing together with a dwarf, if the player has a high voice, for example..