Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I get L2?

SweatyLlamaSweatyLlama Member Posts: 1

I am in the market for a new MMO.  I enjoy PvE content, but my main focus is PvP.  I especially enjoy FFA (and/or RvR) world PvP with rewards for victory and penalties for losing.  This particular desire has got me looking into L2.

The reason I haven't already picked the game up is that every single thing I read about it, from any source, invariably warns about all the botters, cheaters, scammers, and gold farmers/sellers in this game.

My question: is it really the nightmare it sounds like, or are these reports exaggerated?

Comments

• GalaxiacelesGalaxiaceles Member Posts: 154

They are all true.

You want to bot? Go ahead, no one cares, just don't get caught.

You want to ebay? Go ahead, no one cares, just don't get caught.

And blah blah

Despite that I loved the 2 years I played it. The more you get into PVP, the more you'll appreciate your guild.

• LeicaLeica Member Posts: 3

I played L2 from Open Beta through to Chronicle 5 and I must say that it's really not worth it to start now unless NCSoft for whatever reason decide to open a new server. Although I will admit that the early game is INFINITELY easier than it was in Open Beta, it's a pretty harsh grind without either already having money to buy good equipment or botting. The solo grind now is even worse than it once was in Open Beta simply because it's become much more of a party based game in terms of PvE and the game has come to the point where almost every new character is an alt of an older one so it sort've assumes that you already have a fair amount of Adena (currency) starting off. Take that into account along with having bored alts and higher level characters openly griefing you and getting up to any decent level to PvP becomes an annoying experience.

That is, unless you find yourself a clan, which also bring other drama and issues.

Frankly speaking, if you can get yourself a high level character or safely bot yourself to above LVL70, it becomes a great PvP game (one of my favorite to date), but it's a little bit late to start now that the game is over 3 years old. It would take you months of nonstop grinding to get yourself to a point where you could even compete and the PvP competition is all of the fun in the game. Don't put yourself through that. Just wait it out until a newer MMO comes out and start from the ground level with the rest of the community. That is, unless you're willing to grind for months playing catch-up with the rest of the community that has been doing the same for years and as a result, has all of the overenchanted armor, jewelry, weapons, jewelry, skills, and superior levels...

My advice: Wait for the next big PvP MMORPG to come out and start from day 1. Catch up is no fun.... =/

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180

I suggest you start playing when the new update comes because a new race will be added. This way you will see many others also having new characters and will be easier.

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• shakey2005shakey2005 Member Posts: 49

I played L2 two years ago and decided to start up again. Started on a different server, joined a clan I found on the official forums. They gave me a bunch of free equipment and helped me to get the Clan Oath armour. I got to level 20 and did my 1st class change in about 10 hours of solo grinding. After the 1st class change, especialy as a Dark Oracle, it's pretty easy to get a group because there's always people, even if they're levelling alts, who want to group because it makes the game quicker. My clan are also going to lend me grade C equipment, so I don't have to worry about buying equipment until grade B, which means I can save up my adena.

I started playing last Saturday, and tomorrow, Sunday, I'll be taking part in a siege. Although I'm only level 25 at the moment, I'll get to experience the event and as a healer even be a little useful.

It doesn't take months and months to get into the PvP in Lineage 2. With a good clan, you can get there in weeks. And levelling isn't as big of a dirty grind as people make it out to be. If you're sensible with where you choose to grind, you can solo the early levels very quickly, and from there on it only takes a duo group with a healer and an offensive character to breeze through the levels. I did level 20 to 25 in a group in a couple of hours, and even when I played 2 years ago you could get to 52 from 20 very quickly.

People like to call L2 a grind, and sure, it's a grind compared to the likes of WoW. But WoW is a game you can solo to top level, so I'd be more tempted to say that the likes of WoW are easy, where as L2 is just a bit of a challenge. Botting, buying adena, it cuts the time down, but nobody likes people that do it. You won't get into a clan and therefore you won't get to siege.

• vampsvamps Member Posts: 39

lol  i have 70 warsmith i shoot u fools with my cannon

wat serv u play on i kind awana make new character.

lineage 2
    dillign-30 active-teon

• SorrowhoSorrowho Member Posts: 581

Originally posted by SweatyLlama

I am in the market for a new MMO.  I enjoy PvE content, but my main focus is PvP.  I especially enjoy FFA (and/or RvR) world PvP with rewards for victory and penalties for losing.  This particular desire has got me looking into L2.
    The reason I haven't already picked the game up is that every single thing I read about it, from any source, invariably warns about all the botters, cheaters, scammers, and gold farmers/sellers in this game.

My question: is it really the nightmare it sounds like, or are these reports exaggerated?

the game is very group depeantet, depending on your class, and with all the bots your gonna have to solo a lot up to 5x 6x before you get party's and even then it can be rare...

and yere it is such a nightmare, i personnaly belive that ncsoft dosen't care about the farmer's or players who bot's anymore

http://www.l2guru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77552

http://www.l2guru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78845

the bot's screw up a lot off things taking your mobs from 1 to 80 almost, occupying room's in dungons and if you take em from a bot group they mostly have 1 live player that's lvl 78+ to pk you at lvl 4x 5x 6x hunting spots... bla bla bla, and a lot more

• scrawnehscrawneh Member Posts: 220

Just stay away from Lineage 2, ok? Unless you hear on CNN news that "NCsoft has now taken a stand against botting in Lineage", you should not even considder this game an option. If I were you, I'd only play this game if I already had friends playing it.

I'm sure you can find a more healthy alternative to this game, either in existing mmo's or in comming ones (for example Age of Conan and Darkfall.)

• joeybootsjoeyboots Member UncommonPosts: 628

Also, instead of paying a sub fee for this game, you can download and play many games inspired by/similar to L2 for free. Games like Archlord and Silkroad Online, are both created from the L2 mold.

• NetzokoNetzoko Member Posts: 1,271

L2 is awful for a new player. You're better off with EVE if you want FFA PvP.

-------------------------

• StevaneStevane Member UncommonPosts: 35

Don't listen to all the negative. L2 is an Awesome game. It is more newbie friendly now than it ever was. Whether you are looking pvp or pve, you'll get plenty of both. You won't see many people in the newbie areas but that doesn't matter because you will be out of those in now time. Just level up to 20 and join a clan and get cheap armor and people to party with. There has been so much added to L2 since beta its unbelievable. And with the new update coming out it will rock even more. Bots are not that much of an issue unless you are trying to pole numerous rooms in the cata's. Give it a try you'll like it. Goodluck.....

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

I agree wholeheartedly with Stevane; don't let the tons and tons of negative comments completely sway your decision. Sure, this game is a pretty big time sync and has many issues that need repairing (botting and ebaying mainly) but if you can get into a good clan, this game is seriously a blast.

I had played this game on and off since it came out, only getting to around level 20 before quitting out of frustration each time. I always went the loner route when I played mmo's back then, which in retrospect, was an idiotic way to play a game like this. But when I came back at around June of this year (started new on the Lionna server) I got an invitation to an excellent, family -style clan called ColdNights and had one of the best mmo experiences ever. I've played tons of mmo's since around 2000, and I can honestly say that L2 has one of the most amazing communities (on Lionna anyway) and it really made the game truely enjoyable on every level.

Don't get me wrong; this game can be a grindfest if you choose to look at it that way, or solo through most of the levels, but if you're in a good clan with active members who are willing to help you along the way, you'll really enjoy it.

Btw, if you decide to go with Lionna as your server (if you decide to play) you should get in touch with Cazaure or Cadance from the ColdNights clan. Let them know that you're new and that you'd like to join a friendly clan. I'm sure they'll happily take you in ^^. If you speak with Cazaure, tell him Senvilon told you about ColdNights; he's a great guy and was always extremely helpful :).

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• trojandrewtrojandrew Member Posts: 7

its all been said, L2 is a grotesque grind (in hopes to distract from it's lack of PVE content?), but the PvP *is* fun, just make sure you have buddies.

MMO's Played: EQ, DAoC, Shadowbane, Lineage II, City of Heroes, EVE Online, WoW
    Current Subscriptions: EVE Online, WoW

• PaksenarrionPaksenarrion Member Posts: 17

Yes, L2 has grind. Yes, it has bots etc. BUT ... you don't have to participate in that part. Bots will be there, people who ebay will be there. So what. Play your own game and have fun. And it IS fun. There are great people in the community. This is not a 6 week and you are done game. This is years worth of game.

Grind? From 1 to 60 isn't horribly difficult now if you are in a supportive clan. There are many of these. From 60-70 you start to feel the pain. From 70-75 you want to cry ... Let's not talk about 75-79 as the only descriptive words that can be used will get you banned ... and from 79-80 is equal to the other 79 levels combined. There's a bit of an exponential grinding curve yes?

I'm also on Lionna (Tribe/Hammerstrike), have played since OB and still love the game despite its warts. I left a few times, I come back. The sieges are fantabulous fun. Daily gank drama never disappoints. The player base makes the server, makes the game. I love Lionna and all of its drama. Originally It took me 2 weeks to reach level 12 (and I was doing GREAT). Today (the very few) new members in our clan reach 40 to 50 in 2 weeks with the help of the clan and without botting (a bot can do 40 in days). Put in a few intense days of raid boss smashing with high level buffers and bam 40 is there before you know it ... a bit more time and 60 rolls around! Now the grind starts. And make no mistake, it is an epic grind. But when you have a clan and friends, who cares?

Beer helps too (at least my dwarf claims it does).

The number 1 priority for any new player is to find the right clan. New players need support with gear and low level gear floods the servers. Most established clans/players have lower level gear up through A grade. Good clans will help you get to the point where you can afford A grade and contribute to the clan for pvp/pve/sieges etc. If you're in a clan with lots of people on at the same time you are and you are solo without buffer/gear help ... look for another clan.

If I had to play this game solo I would have quit after 2 weeks. Instead 3 yrs later, I'm still having a blast.  I feel sad for those that ebay/bot their way to the top. The journey is the fun. Show me someone that comes in, buys a 78 archer, outfits it with e-bayed money and I'll show you someone who quits after 2 months and bitches about how bad the game is (that said, if I was going to roll a new main, I'd probably auto it (I'm no angel) because I know the game now  -- but new players really do need to play and learn the mechanics and politics. In one sense it's a simple game, in others it's complex with subtleties).

To repeat: The central pull of the game is its people, not the ability to pwn someone on occasion at sieges, gatewars and ganking runs. (ok ok, those are fun sometimes, but really only if you know the peeps well enough for some truely juicy and meaningful trash talk).

L2 is all about the community. As a game, it better promotes tight knit working communities and groups than any other I've played. Maybe as a mistake on NCSoft's part since they really could give a rats patootie about the NA playerbase, but it's there nonetheless.

Originally posted by Paksenarrion

Yes, L2 has grind. Yes, it has bots etc. BUT ... you don't have to participate in that part. Bots will be there, people who ebay will be there. So what. Play your own game and have fun. And it IS fun. There are great people in the community. This is not a 6 week and you are done game. This is years worth of game.
    the bots still takes up spots when your out soloing its even gotten like 10 times harder getting party's in the 1 to 60 lvls compared how it was in C1 and C2, the bots screws up a lot off things and NCsoft refuses to adress em
    Grind? From 1 to 60 isn't horribly difficult now if you are in a supportive clan. There are many of these. From 60-70 you start to feel the pain. From 70-75 you want to cry ... Let's not talk about 75-79 as the only descriptive words that can be used will get you banned ... and from 79-80 is equal to the other 79 levels combined. There's a bit of an exponential grinding curve yes?
    the most support you get from clan's when your low lvl would be the adena for a clan oath armor it's pretty nice, but 1 to 60 is still horribly slow compltely legiet and even painfully slow depending on your class.
    I'm also on Lionna (Tribe/Hammerstrike), have played since OB and still love the game despite its warts. I left a few times, I come back. The sieges are fantabulous fun. Daily gank drama never disappoints. The player base makes the server, makes the game. I love Lionna and all of its drama.
    Originally It took me 2 weeks to reach level 12 (and I was doing GREAT).
    the exp has not been increased at all and you must have lvled terible slow cause in C1 i could get to lvl 17 in 1 day with no outside adena, support or anything...
    Today (the very few) new members in our clan reach 40 to 50 in 2 weeks with the help of the clan and without botting
    they either got top gaer, high lvl support class or playing 7/24 to make that, and it really depends on your class, since some solo's like 2-3 times faster then others.
    (a bot can do 40 in days). Put in a few intense days of raid boss smashing with high level buffers and bam 40 is there before you know it ... a bit more time and 60 rolls around! Now the grind starts. And make no mistake, it is an epic grind. But when you have a clan and friends, who cares?
    Beer helps too (at least my dwarf claims it does).
    The number 1 priority for any new player is to find the right clan. New players need support with gear and low level gear floods the servers. Most established clans/players have lower level gear up through A grade. Good clans will help you get to the point where you can afford A grade and contribute to the clan for pvp/pve/sieges etc. If you're in a clan with lots of people on at the same time you are and you are solo without buffer/gear help ... look for another clan.
    If I had to play this game solo I would have quit after 2 weeks. Instead 3 yrs later, I'm still having a blast.  I feel sad for those that ebay/bot their way to the top. The journey is the fun.
    it's not at all the same anymore as it was in OB C1 and C2 party's are hard to get when your under the 6x lvl's even with a good clan, so having crap gear and forced to solo is boring and takes forever, it's not fun anymore before you get high lvl...
    Show me someone that comes in, buys a 78 archer, outfits it with e-bayed money and I'll show you someone who quits after 2 months and bitches about how bad the game is (that said, if I was going to roll a new main, I'd probably auto it (I'm no angel) because I know the game now  -- but new players really do need to play and learn the mechanics and politics. In one sense it's a simple game, in others it's complex with subtleties).
    To repeat: The central pull of the game is its people, not the ability to pwn someone on occasion at sieges, gatewars and ganking runs. (ok ok, those are fun sometimes, but really only if you know the peeps well enough for some truely juicy and meaningful trash talk).
    L2 is all about the community. As a game, it better promotes tight knit working communities and groups than any other I've played. Maybe as a mistake on NCSoft's part since they really could give a rats patootie about the NA playerbase, but it's there nonetheless.

• PaksenarrionPaksenarrion Member Posts: 17

How sad for you. You must have had a crappy clan to be so bitter. I've experienced all that I typed in the company of great people. I've helped many many MANY people level up in game. Maybe you get from the game what you give in to it. You're not playing anymore, so why so bitter on pushing people away from it?

I've left L2 several times for other games, but I keep coming back to it. The people *I* play with are the best. and even on Franz server, the clan I play with there has great people too.   ... I know so many people who have a great time in game. I'm sorry you didn't. I have a friend who just came back and is at level 70 after 3 months LEGIT with the help of all of us in clan. Of course, he's also a maniac grinder, but you can do it. Myself, I'm still 75 on my original character ... a tank, which is one of the hardest to level. But that's ok.  Every single % of it has been legit ...

Maybe it's all how you approach a game. I play to have fun  with my friends  ... and I've found this game delivers.

Originally posted by Paksenarrion

How sad for you. You must have had a crappy clan to be so bitter. I've experienced all that I typed in the company of great people. I've helped many many MANY people level up in game. Maybe you get from the game what you give in to it. You're not playing anymore, so why so bitter on pushing people away from it?
    i had some great clan's and some really bad ones, and no im not bitter im still playing. Just telling new players that

1, the game has lots off farmer's and farmer infested spots.

2, a large % off the population off player's bot or did bot.

3, Ncsoft dosen't care about bot's
    http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/3074/weeetf2.jpg
    I've left L2 several times for other games, but I keep coming back to it. The people *I* play with are the best. and even on Franz server, the clan I play with there has great people too.   ... I know so many people who have a great time in game. I'm sorry you didn't. I have a friend who just came back and is at level 70 after 3 months LEGIT with the help of all of us in clan. Of course, he's also a maniac grinder, but you can do it. Myself, I'm still 75 on my original character ... a tank, which is one of the hardest to level. But that's ok.  Every single % of it has been legit ...
    and i got to lvl 1 to 35 in a hour bla bla bla...

maybe you should mention what kind off help your friend got, top Gear, full buffs?

the grind isen't esay or fast at all when your complety legit, top gear help's you so much in this game, not to mention classes solo at complety diffrent rate's while some are fast the other's are very slow and most likley your gonna have to solo for a while.
    Maybe it's all how you approach a game. I play to have fun  with my friends  ... and I've found this game delivers.

i play to bitch and whine all the time ! j/k playing for fun and this is a okay game, just wanna let the new players know about some off the trouble's...

•  

I played L2 from the Taiwan beta to the North American beta through c4 (or what ever chronicle introduced S grade items).

Me and the old lady went back to play for the free week a couple months ago and Sieghardt was very low on population and the areas up to level 30+ were utterly empty with the exception of a few of the ever present "dsfgaewsdf" named adena farming bots.

Bartz may still have some population but it will be the most hardcore and have the highest percentage of griefers so starting out as a noob there could be a long a frustrating process.

It's a nice looking game but don't expect a lot of variety in your personal appearance, there are a total of 24 body styles (12 female, 12 male) with almost no customization.

High level toons all, pretty much, look alike (are there new armors past the S grade now ??) which makes sieges look like clone wars a bit.

Classes are basically Fighter and Mage, with a couple class branches as you go through the levels.

Skills are class based.

PvP can be very exciting, but can also be frustrating as hell if a high level griefer notices you or you get on the bad side of people with high level toons.

In the beginning if you aquire enough adena (in other words, ebay it) you can buy all top no grade gear and reach level 20 in one day at the spider circle in light elf land.

Levelling after graded items (which cost an arm and a leg) come into play can be very slow unless you double box, bot, or have friends to help.

I won't bother about crafting because I doubt you are a crafter.

L2 was a great game but I have a hard time recommending it to anyone new.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

No no and noooo no. Even if you find a clan with the coolest guys you'll ever meet, the game is still god awful bad