Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Want My SWG

With all of the excitment of Bioware-Lucas MMO , that may or may not be a Star Wars MMO. It seems that everyone has forgotten what has caused so many disgruntled poeple to leave Star Wars Galaxies.  Even the creation of this Refuge Forum. 

A new Star Wars MMO would be a plus for the community, BUT, will it even come close to the complexity, economy, and fun of our Galaxy as it was  pre-cu?  Think of all of the things you liked about the old game, is  Bioware going to even come close to that?  Will there be 30+ Professions, Player Cities, Player Homes, a complex Profession system and a complex and marvelous Crafting System?  All of the things that made SWG what we all loved.  I for one, even with all of the bad blood and lies, would resub all of my accounts for a Classic Server. 

Call me a traitor, thats fine, but I would gladly go back to my starter planet Talus and sit next to the campfire with my 3 Greater SLudge Panthers, listen to the wild life all around me, and watch the ships fly overhead in the stars.   Just my 2 Creds

Dakkide

Comments

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

I would too..

• ArcheusCrossArcheusCross Member Posts: 793

Originally posted by FreeJack2000

With all of the excitment of Bioware-Lucas MMO , that may or may not be a Star Wars MMO. It seems that everyone has forgotten what has caused so many disgruntled poeple to leave Star Wars Galaxies.  Even the creation of this Refuge Forum. 
        A new Star Wars MMO would be a plus for the community, BUT, will it even come close to the complexity, economy, and fun of our Galaxy as it was  pre-cu?  Think of all of the things you liked about the old game, is  Bioware going to even come close to that?  Will there be 30+ Professions, Player Cities, Player Homes, a complex Profession system and a complex and marvelous Crafting System?  All of the things that made SWG what we all loved.  I for one, even with all of the bad blood and lies, would resub all of my accounts for a Classic Server. 
    Call me a traitor, thats fine, but I would gladly go back to my starter planet Talus and sit next to the campfire with my 3 Greater SLudge Panthers, listen to the wild life all around me, and watch the ships fly overhead in the stars.   Just my 2 Creds
    Dakkide

Well yeah, in all honesty i probably still would go back if they really did make classic servs. But thats only if they fully integrated the old profession trees and stuff, not this expertise crap.

On another note, bioware could pull it off. Theres really just a few simple things they need to focus on: Profession trees, not classes. Skill based, no levels. Player houses/shops. An excellent crafting and harvesting system like the old one. But there would be one thing i would ask them not to do. And thats repeating the same landscape. In SWG all there caves were more or less the same. All the bases were more or less the same... They really need to handcraft to perfection this mmo in my opinion.

"Do not fret! Your captain is about to enter Valhalla!" - General Beatrix of Alexandria

"The acquisition of knowledge is of use to the intellect, for nothing can be loved or hated without first being known." - Leo da Vinci

• Bane82Bane82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,242

I'd sooner trust Bioware to do a KOTOR MMO justice. I don't know if I'd even want to go back to pre cu if SOE is running it. Too much bad blood. It would stink not to be able to have all 30 professions yes, but who knows, maybe they'll surprise us all and whipe the floor.

• JoeTanJoeTan Member UncommonPosts: 70

Hopefully somehow all of this will in fact one day make the guys over at Soe, or maybe it just takes Smedley alone, realize that rolling back to cu/precu/prenge is the only way to survive if a competing and possibly better swmmo will finally give the killing blow to swg. As far fetched as this might seem, i cant help but feel that it is in fact a possibility.

Well let me add this, either rollback or the assumed addition of classic server and or merges of all the barren servers.

It depends on how many currently "satisfied" custumers would leave for another Swmmo tho, that and a lot of other factors that i wont get into, but i just wanna know if im the only one feeling this way.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

I remember that same feeling on Talus when SWG launched. But its time we pack up camp because SOE screwed over the Star Wars fanbase. I do not have any trusts that a KOTOR MMO will happen until its official. But if it is...SWG can finally get nailed shut and SOE can shove it. Whats funny is I heard GreyPawn worls for Bioware now per gossip.

• ArcheusCrossArcheusCross Member Posts: 793

Originally posted by Lateris

I remember that same feeling on Talus when SWG launched. But its time we pack up camp because SOE screwed over the Star Wars fanbase. I do not have any trusts that a KOTOR MMO will happen until its official. But if it is...SWG can finally get nailed shut and SOE can shove it. Whats funny is I heard GreyPawn worls for Bioware now per gossip.

If they did work for them that would be ironic.. and funny.

"Do not fret! Your captain is about to enter Valhalla!" - General Beatrix of Alexandria

"The acquisition of knowledge is of use to the intellect, for nothing can be loved or hated without first being known." - Leo da Vinci

• FreeJack2000FreeJack2000 Member Posts: 28

To be honest, Im an over 40 fella that likes the old SWG for its complexity.  I dont care much for PVP except for the ocasional BH that would catch me grinding leezards on Dantooine.  I had 2 accounts with just crafters and I liked the game.  We all know they needed to do alot of work on pre-cu servers.  But just think, if they would have added stuff like todays chapter and repaired the main bugs, the game wouldnt be on it's last leg today.  Yes, I would go back for a Classic Server, and many of my Fogey friends would return also.    SOE could show good faith easily, by creating a CLassic Server.

Dakk

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

it seems like MMO's are moving down a dark, dark path.   much like TV MMO companies (or better yet their investors) they want the biggest return for the lowest cost.  i feel developing a game like SWG is a bigger risk now than what it was 5 years ago.  i feel if Bioware does deveople a SWG MMO they will focus on "fixing" the problems with the old one...mainly helping new players.   this usually spells doom for other parts of the game in the bid to reduce complexity....think of it like a TV station having the choice between a well written high cost show (that may be a hit) or a cheap, cheesy Reality TV show that will no doubt draw the viewers...most go for the latter

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

Originally posted by FreeJack2000

Dakkide
    This is one of the things the SWG devs never, ever, grokked, after Koster left.

That just sitting next to the campfire with your 3 GSPs, listening to the wildlife around you, and watching the stars slowly move as the planet beneath you rotated was one of the selling points of SWG.

Just sitting back and doing...NOTHING...on another planet.

The whole idea was to get AWAY from it all virtually.

It was so relaxing to be able to do that.

These guys publically said they didn't understand what was fun about camps.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• rollnstnsrollnstns Member Posts: 53

Originally posted by JoeTan

Hopefully somehow all of this will in fact one day make the guys over at Soe, or maybe it just takes Smedley alone, realize that rolling back to cu/precu/prenge is the only way to survive if a competing and possibly better swmmo will finally give the killing blow to swg. As far fetched as this might seem, i cant help but feel that it is in fact a possibility.

Well let me add this, either rollback or the assumed addition of classic server and or merges of all the barren servers.

It depends on how many currently "satisfied" custumers would leave for another Swmmo tho, that and a lot of other factors that i wont get into, but i just wanna know if im the only one feeling this way.
    Joe, I feel your pain buddy. I would be there in a heartbeat. I couldn't care less about what happened in the past. I just want to go "home". Flawed or not, SWG was the greatest mmorpg i have ever played, and I have played a lot.

All the companies these days are going the "fast food franchise" way of doing things, instead of coming up with something original. SWG was literally years ahead of its time. It was the first game that I could log into to go shopping, for things that  i needed and actually looked forward to doing. I could head to Rori and find a piece of property with a beautiful view, that was just big enough for 1 large naboo house, my vacation home. I could stop by someones camp and say Hello, and make a new friend. I could head to anchorhead and help push back the imperial forces attacking from Bestine.

The Point is I could log in play for 3-4 hours and never once worry about xp, and still have a great time. I never worried about "gotta be lvl 90!!" Who from the old days of SWG remembers the thrill of taking up a new profession? Who remembers the comradery of guilds that felt like family, where members didn't guild jump on a weekly basis?

Who remembers the fun? I would re-sub at twice the price to have it back. 

• Bane82Bane82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,242

Originally posted by SioBabble
    Originally posted by FreeJack2000 Call me a traitor, thats fine, but I would gladly go back to my starter planet Talus and sit next to the campfire with my 3 Greater SLudge Panthers, listen to the wild life all around me, and watch the ships fly overhead in the stars.   Just my 2 Creds
    Dakkide
    This is one of the things the SWG devs never, ever, grokked, after Koster left.
    That just sitting next to the campfire with your 3 GSPs, listening to the wildlife around you, and watching the stars slowly move as the planet beneath you rotated was one of the selling points of SWG.
    Just sitting back and doing...NOTHING...on another planet.
    The whole idea was to get AWAY from it all virtually.
    It was so relaxing to be able to do that.
    These guys publically said they didn't understand what was fun about camps.

Amen to that Sio, I used to do that on Tatoooine, did you ever stare at the skies there and look at the stars, then all of a sudden two big star destroyers orbiting the planet? Ahhhhhh that was bliss. Especially when I'd put a camp and some wandering players would stop by for a chat before heading back to their adventure.

• dudemantgdudemantg Member Posts: 25

As long as its well made and not in a place that it doesn't belong, i don't even care if the kotor mmo has a great skill system or great crafting, yeah that would be a plus, plus kotor had crafting and skills so i don't see why the mmo wouldn't. Maybe the worlds will be different, but how close were swg's worlds to the star wars ones, i didn't think they were that similar. I'm just a fan of star wars first and swg-pre-cu second.

• BogieBogie Member UncommonPosts: 65

Originally posted by rollnstns

Originally posted by JoeTan

Joe, I feel your pain buddy. I would be there in a heartbeat. I couldn't care less about what happened in the past. I just want to go "home". Flawed or not, SWG was the greatest mmorpg i have ever played, and I have played a lot.

All the companies these days are going the "fast food franchise" way of doing things, instead of coming up with something original. SWG was literally years ahead of its time. It was the first game that I could log into to go shopping, for things that  i needed and actually looked forward to doing. I could head to Rori and find a piece of property with a beautiful view, that was just big enough for 1 large naboo house, my vacation home. I could stop by someones camp and say Hello, and make a new friend. I could head to anchorhead and help push back the imperial forces attacking from Bestine.

The Point is I could log in play for 3-4 hours and never once worry about xp, and still have a great time. I never worried about "gotta be lvl 90!!" Who from the old days of SWG remembers the thrill of taking up a new profession? Who remembers the comradery of guilds that felt like family, where members didn't guild jump on a weekly basis?

Who remembers the fun? I would re-sub at twice the price to have it back. 

Rollnstns,

I remember those days too.  It was fun just wandering around planets to see who was out there.  I remember coming home from work and playing from 5 until almost 11 pm.  And then I only stopped because I had to get up for work the next day.  I loved going to Dant and help my guild mates grind out there Jedi in the CU days.  You never had a problem finding a group to join back then.  Now they have added new content that requires a group that make it impossible for you to do it.   I love the fact that if you needed help doing something a guildmate was there to help out and you could return the favor.

I just hope  that if Bioware is working on some new SWMMO that they do bring back the skill tree again.  I loved trying new skills without to much trouble. I loved being a smuggler/pistoleer.

Bogie

ECF, Eclipse Server, Smuggler/Pistoleer

Bogie

Corellian Run
    Jedi Sentinel

• MastaccolliMastaccolli Member UncommonPosts: 100

DAKK?

Dakk did you play on Corbantis?

I would go back to a classic server as well, and start from scratch.  Run my 3 toons and be happy as a clam.  As bad as SWG is now, the original format is 'lightyears' ahead of most game that are current.

Darkke Starnight, -ViBM- Corbantis

• AveBethosAveBethos Member Posts: 611

Sorry guys but those days are long gone never to return.  SWG will NEVER feel like it did day 2 when we ran around blasting durni and building campfires...  It won't, it can't.

We know the game inside-out.  We don't trust or like SOE.  We won't have the patience we used to because of what they did to the game...

I, for one, might play but would do it full-well knowing that it won't ever be as good as it was.

• Xix13Xix13 Member Posts: 259

I miss you too, Dakk, and the great days we had before the NGE.  I'd be back to SWG in a heartbeat if they brought it back to classic pre-CU.  Would be great if they could fix Xixasaurus' HAR too, but, hey, just being able to hang out in the cantina at NewDawn or even on Talus, where the Xix Clan started, would be great.

I would be very leery of any new MMO developed within the next 5 years, however.  IF this Bioware thing really is a Star Wars, I'll bet it's gonna be a questing game instead of the great sandbox we all loved.  It'll be "next generation, fast-action Jedi" without a moment's peace to just hang.

I was playing a little TR last nite and wanted to just look at my skill trees for a minute and I had to run all the way to a command post just to open the window 'cause stuf kept popping up and attacking me anywhere I stood.  And when I DID get to the CP, it was under attack!  So I had to wait (and die a couple of times) for that to finish before I could finally look at my skill tree.

This new trend to "fast action" is getting really old quickly for me.  I don't spend nearly the time I used to in-game because it's just too tiring.  Literally.  I want to be able to just sit and think or, preferably, sit and craft while chatting with friends and guildmates again.  With these newer games, I can't even spend the glances at the chat windows anymore.  I'd almost rather go to work!  (Oh wait...nevermind...it's not quite THAT bad yet.  Thank goodness I can still fire up UO.)

-- Xix
    "I know what you're thinking: 'Why, oh WHY, didn't I take the BLUE pill?'"

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

Originally posted by Bane82

Amen to that Sio, I used to do that on Tatoooine, did you ever stare at the skies there and look at the stars, then all of a sudden two big star destroyers orbiting the planet? Ahhhhhh that was bliss. Especially when I'd put a camp and some wandering players would stop by for a chat before heading back to their adventure.
    Did that on Tat, on Naboo (three ISDs in orbit there!), on Yavin IV...where you could watch the ISD and the gas giant, on the beach near the mining outpost.

Having people wander into your camp was always fun...sometimes you'd wind up making a new friend and recruiting a new player into your guild at the same time!  Pets were always great for starting conversations, but you could do things like show off looted clothing items.  I'd be out hunting with friends, we'd run into some NPCs and get some nice clothing items off them, toss up a camp, and we'd take turns wearing a hood down cloak or some other relatively rare item, especially in the first three months of the game.

I remember on Ahazi there was a player event, a looted fashion show, where people would show off their looted outfits.

There was all sorts of fun to be had in the virtual world of SWG, quite apart from GCW PvP.  There were things for every play style to do.

Now, alas, so many have been driven off by the entire philosophy of the NGE, pretty much summed up by Nancy McIntyre.  Kill, loot, repeat, with no reading required.

That gets old, fast.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• FreeJack2000FreeJack2000 Member Posts: 28

Good to see you still lurking Xix. Sorry to say that out of 150+ members in FoX,  Ataele, Wright and I are all thats left. Most of your Homes are in your Data Pad now. All except for your Bunker, heh.  Our town is still a Metro, even though SOE tried to remove it :). I'll tell Ataele you are still thinking about us. 

Dakkide

• sinstersinster Member Posts: 118
    Originally posted by ArcheusCross

If they did work for them that would be iconic... and star warsy.

fixed!

• Plasuma!!!Plasuma!!! Member Posts: 1,872

Originally posted by sinster

Originally posted by ArcheusCross

If they did work for them that would be iconic... and star warsy.

fixed!

God just kicked a puppy.