Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stability

My main problem for quiting back in January was stability of the game client, which kept crashing every few minutes.  I never had problems with performance even on the high setting, but the game kept crashing on all settings. While it could be acceptable for some other game, I could not deal with this on a FFA PvP server in a game that has a death penalty (which I like).

I understand that a lot has been done to improve these kind of issues, and I somewhat liked the game and want to return. So, my question is:

How often does your game crash during a normal play with no 3rd party mods and updated hardware drivers?

Comments

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

My old gaming rig rarely crashed when I played Vanguard even before the tweaks since then.  I've since gotten a better gaming rig and though people told me to stear clear of Nvidia to play thegame on I went with it anyway with my new rig because I saw my hubbies game rig start playing Vanguard without all the constant CTD's.

About 4 months ago my ATI based gamign rig starting CTD'ing continuesly after one of the first SOE patches.   Good thing was I was going to be doing a lot of traveling over the summer and had no time to play.  I recently came back and am playing VG again and the last patch eliminated the CTD's and the game runs smoother then ever even in such places as Khal.  :)

• DailyBuzzDailyBuzz Member Posts: 2,306

I have 2 friends that play VG, one has had 2 crashes, and one hasn't had any since the last patch. I think they play about 2 hours a day average, with maybe 8 hours played over a weekend. They small group most of the time (duos and trios outside of dungeons). They both also use custom UIs.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Its very rig dependant

My 2nd account machine

p4 2.8 1.5gb ram nvidia 6500 LE 256mb   9 crashes in the space of an hour yet not one since i actually think something was wrong with the neamsog chunk server.

my main account machine

pentium D 940  3gb ram recently upgraded to ati x1950 pro 512mb not a single crash in 3 weeks leading up to GU3 or any since

i only play VG so both rigs are at the recommended drivers to run VG and i dont update i have also made other tweaks recommended here and on official forums

yet my guild leader who is packing a rig that destroys mine or at least should crashes at least 4 times a night

• D|CED|CE Member Posts: 197

Thanks for the replies. I will check it out and see how my hardware handles it now.

Btw, I have GeForce 8800 GS and in January its drivers were highly unstable. Now that Nvidia fixed the drivers a bit, perhaps it will work better with Vanguard.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553
    Originally posted by D|CE

My main problem for quiting back in January was stability of the game client, which kept crashing every few minutes.  I never had problems with performance even on the high setting, but the game kept crashing on all settings. While it could be acceptable for some other game, I could not deal with this on a FFA PvP server in a game that has a death penalty (which I like).
    I understand that a lot has been done to improve these kind of issues, and I somewhat liked the game and want to return. So, my question is:
    How often does your game crash during a normal play with no 3rd party mods and updated hardware drivers?

I never crash 'unexpectedly' any more.  But I will crash predictably due to the memory leak.  They have patched up most of the memory leak, but there still is an issue in New Targanoor and Nusibe.  Usually, after 6-8 hours my memory usage will creep up to 95% if I am moving from chunk to chunk.  Once over 95% the crash could come at any time.  If I just stay in the same chunk doing diplomacy or something, I can stay connected for days.

I have a 3.6ghz single core, 8800 GTX and run Windows XP.

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

After GU3 only 1 crash per day (long day) =)

(with 8800gtx and Vista, both made problems in the past)