Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

pre-order lie

MellowTiggerMellowTigger Member UncommonPosts: 84

Their website said that if you pre-ordered Tabula Rasa, you'd get to play a few days before release (plus a few other perks).  I pre-ordered.  At least a month before release, I gave my credit card info to gamestop.com and secured my copy of the game with next-day delivery.

It arrived today.  I installed.  I patched.  I didn't play.  It keeps saying that my serial code is not yet active.  Not active?  But I pre-ordered!

I contacted Tabula Rasa.  They still haven't activated my code.  For some reason that they haven't explained to me yet, ordering prior to release isn't the same as pre-ordering. Huh?!  I've half a mind to return my box to gamestop.  I've already contacted them saying I expect a working code since I did pre-order the game.  Dunno what's going to come of all this.

I did, however, want to warn other potential customers that NCSoft seems to be creating whole new definitions of words out of thin air. 

Comments

• noodlesannoodlesan Member Posts: 46

i picked up a retail copy and the code isn't active either.  anyways, i just went to their website and "pre-ordered" for an extra 5 bucks.  i'll be losing that 5bucks since i already bought the game.  you can do that too if you can't wait to play...

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541

When you pre-order you get a pre-order box with a serial code for early access, if you only got the Retail box then perhaps you should take it up to Gamestop and not NCSoft.

Pre-order boxes/serial codes are one thing, Retail Box is a different story.

I have two boxes, one that I got when I pre-ordered ($5 down at the local Gamstop) and the retail box, both of them with different codes.

• geldonyetichgeldonyetich Member Posts: 1,340

"I contacted Tabula Rasa.  They still haven't activated my code.  For some reason that they haven't explained to me yet, ordering prior to release isn't the same as pre-ordering. Huh?!  I've half a mind to return my box to gamestop.  I've already contacted them saying I expect a working code since I did pre-order the game.  Dunno what's going to come of all this."

Your trouble is that you're not seeing it from the perspective to NCSoft.  They sold a bunch of pre-order boxes with special pre-order codes to the retailers and now they've sent out the actual batch of retail boxes.  They're trying to reward players who pre-ordered with the 3-day head start, and so they can't let people with the retail boxes in early.  Now, all you have is a retail code, how can NCSoft tell if you preordered or not?  They can't - you're asking them to take your word for it.  However, there's a lot of players out there who would lie through their teeth that they preordered when they didn't.

Bottom line?  It was the retailer's fault for not giving you your Pre-Order code, not NcSoft.  Contact the retailer you bought it from.

• troyzztroyzz Member Posts: 15

Not only do you have to preorder, but you have to level your character to 15 during beta to be eligible for the 3 1/2 day head start. It was said in plain English on their website.

• kenoxitkenoxit Member Posts: 29

Nope, troyzz :)

It was in english, yes, but not that plain ;)

The lvl15 thing was ONLY for the extra 10 free days. There was no requisite for the preorder playtime.

• troyzztroyzz Member Posts: 15

Im currently playing the Live version since Monday. To get the 3 1/2 day start all you needed was a level 15 character in beta. Once you hit level 15, you automatically got a emote and a certificate icon stating that you met the requirements to play during the live version head start. Now, If you played in beta, got your character to level 15, and purchased the retail version, not only do you get the 10 free days, but you get 2 months of free subscription.

• kenoxitkenoxit Member Posts: 29

Originally posted by troyzz

Im currently playing the Live version since Monday. To get the 3 1/2 day start all you needed was a level 15 character in beta. Once you hit level 15, you automatically got a emote and a certificate icon stating that you met the requirements to play during the live version head start. Now, If you played in beta, got your character to level 15, and purchased the retail version, not only do you get the 10 free days, but you get 2 months of free subscription.

The prerelease time wasn't affected by being in beta nor having a lvl15 character. It just allowed you to get into the beta and, by leveling to 15, have 10 extra free days.

There's a  guy here (Geridan) that preordered but was too late to be in beta. He was/is able to play in prerelease, though.

Tidbits:

• KremlikKremlik Member UncommonPosts: 716

Originally posted by troyzz

For the second time it's incorrect

The head start is ONLY for players who pre-ordered, 2ndly you don't obtain the emote at all until the end of November which had nothing to do with the level 15 offer that was the final days offer (yes there emotes conneted to the pre-orders but you get them automatically) PLUS the level 15 issue only gives you day days free NOT 2 months free... I beleave you are quoting the collectors ed offer...

If your statment was true then when the heck did they say that? I think someones been listening to general chat and being messed around here

Bring on the WARRRRGGHH!

• niteflynitefly Member Posts: 340

MellowTigger:

If this is the box you've purchased (and not put in an advance order on an upcoming product, GameStop.com is FAMOUS for that little "trick"):

https://secure.plaync.com/cgi-bin/Store.pl?action=viewItem&item_id=48&language=en-gb

Then there is no doubt that you should have access.

GameStop is one of the companies on my "never-do-business-with-these-morons-again" list.

• misterorffmisterorff Member Posts: 28

Might not be too late to do this, but at my local GameStop I fought the system, so to speak.

Yesturday I picked up the retail version, and saw they had preorder boxes. I said "Hey, can I get a preorder box too?" And the guy just looked at me and said "But you have the game right there..."

He asked his manager, who also just looked at me with a blank stare. She just gave me the box, and I am now on early with my preorder pet :) Thanks GameStop!

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

I think its fairly obvious since we have about 10 different people saying 10 different tricks to "get into the early game" that it wasnt made clear by NCsoft.

With things like this, it should be crystal clear to everyone.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Was crystal clear to me.

Preorder and get a preorder code. That code gets you some emotes (/rave and /logosfist), a choice of pets and the ability to play beta. It also netted you a 3 day headstart before launch.

Play on the 26th (end of beta) and get acess to a special emote that will come at the end of November.

Get to level 15 in the beta and get 10 free days added to your account when you buy the game and subscribe.

They could not have made it any clearer.

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541

Originally posted by Mithrandolir

Was crystal clear to me.
    Preorder and get a preorder code. That code gets you some emotes (/rave and /logosfist), a choice of pets and the ability to play beta. It also netted you a 3 day headstart before launch.
    Play on the 26th (end of beta) and get acess to a special emote that will come at the end of November.
    Get to level 15 in the beta and get 10 free days added to your account when you buy the game and subscribe.
    They could not have made it any clearer.

I agree, it's pretty simple to me.

Perhaps people were confused with something related to Gamestop.

• SouvecSouvec Member UncommonPosts: 698

Best thing to do is to just buy the pre-order from NcSoft.  Had no problems activating the code, downloading the client, patching, and playing on the live servers.

I had similar issues with pre-orders (Guild Wars) and prefer to go straight to the source from here on out.

• vizaviza Member Posts: 204

Originally posted by MellowTigger

Their website said that if you pre-ordered Tabula Rasa, you'd get to play a few days before release (plus a few other perks).  I pre-ordered.  At least a month before release, I gave my credit card info to gamestop.com and secured my copy of the game with next-day delivery.

It arrived today.  I installed.  I patched.  I didn't play.  It keeps saying that my serial code is not yet active.  Not active?  But I pre-ordered!

I contacted Tabula Rasa.  They still haven't activated my code.  For some reason that they haven't explained to me yet, ordering prior to release isn't the same as pre-ordering. Huh?!  I've half a mind to return my box to gamestop.  I've already contacted them saying I expect a working code since I did pre-order the game.  Dunno what's going to come of all this.

I did, however, want to warn other potential customers that NCSoft seems to be creating whole new definitions of words out of thin air. 
    you needed to email gamestop and get your pre-release key. Should have went directly to ncsoft... This is a gamestop problem. I had no issues ordering through ncsoft.

-Viz

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I'm not sure about Gamestop online (they handeled my Hellgate preorder beautifully), but the Gamestop stores around here were clueless about TR.

I went into one GS store locally about 2 weeks ago and tried to preorder TR and was told the game had already released and therefore I could not preorder it. I figured I would prove them wrong and said "Ok then, I'll just buy the game, do you have any" and he told me "No, computer says we've sold out". Oh really? Nice! So I say "The game was pushed back to 11/2, so you didn;t sell out... maybe you sold out of preorders?" and he said "No sir, the game has released and we have sold out and therefore you can not preorder it".

I finally asked when they were expecting more to come in and he said "11/10"

I laughed and left... one more store that i will never visit again ;)

• MellowTiggerMellowTigger Member UncommonPosts: 84

At the moment, the problem appears to have 2 faults.

Distributor: Gamestop.com did not send me a pre-order code, even though I ordered the game at least a month before release.  I am in contact with Gamestop about this problem.

Producer: NCSoft referred to their "special headstart package" as a pre-order, redefining what "pre-order" actually means.  Bad, bad marketing.  If you have two different release dates, then sell the products with specifically named release titles.  Don't confuse a process "pre-order" with a product "pre-release".

I hold them both at fault.  I've already made the decision to return my product (opened, but unused obviously) if I am unable to participate in the pre-order early gameplay.  We'll see who steps up to honor the offer: Gamestop or NCSoft.  Sadly, I'm expecting neither to do so.

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

It is upto gamespot to send the pre-order box's with the retail box.

Its sad that they have fucked it up so badly.

• CropperCropper Member Posts: 198
    Originally posted by Souvec

Best thing to do is to just buy the pre-order from NcSoft.  Had no problems activating the code, downloading the client, patching, and playing on the live servers.
    I had similar issues with pre-orders (Guild Wars) and prefer to go straight to the source from here on out.

Agree.  I had no problems whatsoever.  I always buy through a companies site if possible it keeps 3rd party screw ups out of the equation.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

The real problem nowadays is that gameselling companies simply don't give a damn about PC Games customers.  Consoles are where their money's at, so they coulnd't care less about doing the PC Promos right.

Having bought MANY MMOs, there are always screw-ups with the shops, whether Gamestop, EBgames, Amazon or actual locations.

ALWAYS triple-check exactly what you're supposed to be getting witht he purchase.  If the pre-order gives something, chances are there is a pre-order code.  Verifty through third party info - OTHER people must have bought what you're buying and posted what they got.  This is what the interweb is for.  Never count on the sellers to give you the right thing, because they simply don't care.

I know it's a bit too late for this, but keep in mind for the future.  This is not a unique case and it WILL happen with your next PC Game too.

Sorry you got screwed over.  But if it really matters, it's solved with an $5 online purchase which will give you the extra (now 1) day.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• DeathMutant3DeathMutant3 Member Posts: 67

I pre-ordered TR too but, from what I understand now, did not order the correct product that would allow me to participate in the 3-day headstart. My box arrived (at home) today so when I install it tonight and try to activate my code will I not be able to play until tomorrow (the 2nd)? 

ps. I got mine from GoGamer.com for $29 during one of their 48-Hour Madness sales.

• paladinsamapaladinsama Member Posts: 1

I just want to add that I pre ordered the game from Amazon (a simple pre order, there was no "special" pre-orders package) on August 20th and 5 days later (August 25th) I got an e-mail with the subject "Your Pre-order Bonus for Ordering "Tabula Rasa" for Windows at Amazon.com"

This e-mail had the pre-order code with the bonus promised, The pets, the emotes, the 3 day headstart.

By reading the previous posts it seems to be clear that this time it was some Gamestop stores that messed up.

• MellowTiggerMellowTigger Member UncommonPosts: 84

An update:

NCSoft is still on my "unfriendly" list.  Their customer service said that I had to get the "Pre-Order Bonus Pack" (capitalization theirs), and it's up to the retailer to offer it.  When I went back to the Tabular Rasa website, however, it still said "pre-order the game" (non-capitalization theirs) to get the various benefits.  I currently have a very low opinion of NCSoft and their customer service.

Gamestop, on the other hand, took a few days to respond, but they finally did.  45 minutes ago, I got the following notice from them.  I'll try it out later this evening to see.

Yay, Gamestop.  Boo, NCSoft.

"Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your recent purchase of Richard Garriott's Tabula Rasa from GameStop.com/EBgames.com. As part of your pre-order you receive beta access, early game entry, an exclusive in-game item/emote, concept game art and more. To create your game account, use the Serial Code listed below and follow the instructions listed here - www.rgtr.com/account/pre-register.html. If you have not already created an account with NCsoft you will need to create one.

Your Serial Code:

Thank you,

GameStop/EB Games Customer Service"

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Ashame gamestop did not apologize because this is what you should have gotten in the first place, so NCSoft is again not at fault here but gamestop was, they should atleast offer you some compensation cause of you missing the the beta acces aswell early entry.

• WicaaWicaa Member Posts: 101

Fair enough mate but I dont necessarily think this is their fault most mmos usually come with a pre-order pack you order especially. If your not sure which retailers are participating in it you need to email or talk to your usual shop to find out what you are getting.

You missed out on some beta fun no need to get so mad you haven't been incorrectly billed or charged triple for your order.

No need to be so with a bit of have a and kill some bane.