Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars: Remember when?

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

The folks over at Guild Wars have posted another edition of their State of the Game article series. This week's article takes a look back at various changes that have been made to the game over the years and asks the question, "Do you remember when?"

With frequent updates and skill balances exploding into the fluxing metagame, Guild Wars players have marched through numerous game permutations, some drastically different than others. Veteran players will most likely recall these tales from earlier days, but do you remember when...

1. Lightning spike actually used Elementalists with lightning skills?

The first dominant lightning spike build consisted of several Air Elementalists with Chain Lightning. They'd queue up the skill and stun enemies into submission by dropping two or three players with the first volley. Over time, their popularity faded and Mesmers, with their fast-casting ability, took up the lightning spike role, firing off skills like machine guns. But Mesmers relied on elite skills from the Elementalist line, and a set of skill balances made it too hard for anyone other than a primary Elementalist to use those skills. Eventually Ritualists moved to the forefront of lightning spike. They had their own skills for spiking, so they didn't have to depend on a secondary profession. And, unlike Elementalists, Ritualists had the advantage of varied defensive and healing skills.

Read the full article here.

Comments

• japojapo Member Posts: 306

"Remember When" articles and threads about games are the most stupid, self gratifying, "I'm better than you cuz I was there at the start and remember worthless crap",    inane forum topics EVER!!!

Really...they are.  I feel less of a person because I responded to this complete waste of time.

Thanks,

I feel better

• FlummoxedFlummoxed Member Posts: 591

Remember When GW first came out and you thought it was going to be this cool Massively Multiplayer rpg and you discovered instead that it was really a Massively SINGLE Player rpg with 99% instancing and playfields that forced you to run around on rails so you couldn't investigate what was 'over there' even though you could see it because there was no way to get to 'there'?

I do. 

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Well like it or not I and many other people enjoy the game so there

• LouiseKLouiseK Member Posts: 258

Originally posted by japo

"Remember When" articles and threads about games are the most stupid, self gratifying, "I'm better than you cuz I was there at the start and remember worthless crap",    inane forum topics EVER!!!

Really...they are.  I feel less of a person because I responded to this complete waste of time.

You seem less of a person through bitterness, i imagine you have few friends who you can giggle over memories with... they probably didn't hang round long enough. This is the mmo equivilant.

I think its fun! Its hard to imagine what the devs were thinking sometimes when you see some of the stuff they changed :)