Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of The Rings Or Vanguard?

Wich is better, Including graphics story play, community etc.

Comments

• ShadinShadin Member CommonPosts: 294
    Originally posted by Mike1996

Poesting in the LotRO forum I think the answer you'll get is pretty obvious...

• Mike1996Mike1996 Member Posts: 81

heh, where would i post it?

• ShadinShadin Member CommonPosts: 294

I'd put it in the General (Pub) forum.. But now that it's here it'll be interesting to see responses anyway. :)

Wasn't meaning to flame by the way, sorr if it came across as that - a bit tired.

This post will show in the recent post thing on the mainpage so hopefully you'll get a few answers from that. ^^

Personally, I don't know which game's the best. I have good impressions of both, though LotRO certainly is far more polished than Vanguard. :)

• KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

heh, where would i post it?

In the UI used to post on this forum, thre is an option to <Inset/Edit Image>, click on that and provide the URL (of where the image is stored on the Internet) host server.

Then the images show up in your post. But you will need screen shots.

You may want to post this in the Vaguard forum too. I bet you get diffrent results in both forums.

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)

Alright

I like Vanguard because the homes look better and you have Realistic horses (unlike lotro with horses that look like they were all muscle no head) I also like Vanguard because it has a Wide world ships,homes,dragons, etc

• s1mons1mon Member Posts: 13

It's hard to say which one is better - it's very much a matter of your personal taste and play style.

However, speaking from my own experience, I'd say I've had more fun in LOTRO than I had in Vanguard while I was playing that. That's only my personal opinion though, you shouldn't choose game from what others think - choose the game you enjoy playing the most.

• slippyCslippyC Member Posts: 396

I like VG better, but I must admit I couldn't hang with LoTR long.

I like the classes in VG, most of them are really fun to play.  Which I can't say for a lot of games.

• MChavezMChavez Member Posts: 142

While VG is big and open, has ships, and unique mounts, LotRO rules in polish, story, content, graphics, immersion, performance, and...fun! :)

Currently playing: No MMOs. They all suck.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

LoTRO has won several gaming awards and is the second largest western MMORPG, most recently the Golden Joystick PC Game of the year.

People are using Vanguard as a adjective / adverb to describe something that is completley flawed in design and execution. ie " he really vanguarded that project didn't he/ " instead of saying "he really f***ed up that project didn't he?" 

I miss DAoC

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    Originally posted by Jackdog

LoTRO has won several gaming awards and is the second largest western MMORPG, most recently the Golden Joystick PC Game of the year.
    People are using Vanguard as a adjective / adverb to describe something that is completley flawed in design and execution. ie " he really vanguarded that project didn't he/ " instead of saying "he really f***ed up that project didn't he?" 

well most of the lotro awards are just based off speculation or shart ass plays of the game, solo basicly, so they arnt always right, honestly the games just OK...feels too much like WoW w/ a LOTR IP. its defnitly not that great or huge, advertising says its the biggest based off intital sales not actual subs. and ive never heard that stuff about vanguard..that was one of the lames dowers to the game ever thought of.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Originally posted by zanfire

well most of the lotro awards are just based off speculation or shart ass plays of the game
    the Golden joystick Award was open vote by anyone who wanted to visit the website. One vote per email address, so it was a fairly honest award which was won on peoples opinions who had played the game or had a opinion of it. I would think the voters encompassed  a wide cross section of playstyles. And your assunption that only people who had played it a short time then quit would vote for it  does not make sense. Whether you personally like the game or not it is very very obvious most gamers love it.

vanguards quality is pretty self eveident in the server merges, and even SOE has put it on the back burner with a reduced staff now. It started off bad and even they have came to the conclusion it is a flop.

I miss DAoC

• Player_420Player_420 Member Posts: 686

Vg whomps on LOTRO hard

I play all ghame

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Putting a poll like this on the LoTR board and you think the outcome wouldn't be obviouis McFly?  LOL! 

• QuinguQuingu Member Posts: 400
    Originally posted by Shadin

Poesting in the LotRO forum I think the answer you'll get is pretty obvious...

no its not since most of vanguard and eq2 FANBOIS always posting here and bashing LOTRO.

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

There is so much info out there already on all these games I don't see how making these polls help anyone other then being troll baits..

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

im sorry to all the Vanguard players but between vsoh and LOTRO, LOTRO blows away vsoh on so many levels, from how polished it is, story elements, gameplay, pvp  graphics are smoother and more forgiving on your system. i had it on ultra res client and nay a slowdown at all, smooth as silk even with AA on full at 1680x1050. but i agree that LOTRO has some failings when u start getting to lvl 40-50. but overall LOTRO outperforms Vsoh on every level.

mind u i know enough about the games, i played both betas for extended periods and after the release of each.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• SpeiberbobSpeiberbob Member Posts: 233

well Vanguard is more open and more complex.

Lotro will not give you any headache, maybe the trait grinds.

Depends lot what kind of game youe looking for.

AC2,AO,D&L,Lotro,VsoH,SWG,Uo,HGL,Drunners,CoH,GW,Potbs,PWI
    Eq2,Dofus,WoW,WWIIO,Ryzom,Planetside,EvE,TR,DDO,RFonline,FOM,VC,..etc blabla
    also hobbies....staring at loadingbars

• AlbytapsAlbytaps Member Posts: 208

LOTR is a better overall game.  Vanguard won't be a good game until next year or more, however, Vangaurd has good graphics.  Don't trust SOE.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Jack...c'mon.....  shouldn't be using broad statements like this... because people also hold up LotRO to show that the MMO market is being flooded by unoriginal WOW clones, easy mode games for casual gamers etc etc.....

Neither description is accurate.

And you are far too impressed with that Golden Joystick award.... for a variety of reasons its just not that impressive..... but that's not a discussion for this thread.

OK, back to the OP's question.... I've played them both.... really depends on what you are looking for in a game, I feel they appeal to players of quite different play styles.

What people say about each game is true. Also true is there are many folks who hate both games, and many people still playing both games and having fun.

LotRO's got a free trial, might as well start there and see if you like it.  When/if VG has a free trial, then give it a shot as well.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• StrayfeStrayfe Member UncommonPosts: 199

From someone who isn't a fanboy of either game.  LoTRO if you're casual.  Vanguard if you're not.  Personally, I couldn't get into LoTRO, as the combat reminded me far too much of WoW, and in the weeks I was subscribed, I didn't really find a viable alternative that would make chugging through the repetitive combat worthwhile.  That being said, LoTRO has far more in the storyline department than WoW does, and will appeal to you if you just want something to pick up and play.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Originally posted by Kyleran

Jack...c'mon.....  shouldn't be using broad statements like this... because people also hold up LotRO to show that the MMO market is being flooded by unoriginal WOW clones, easy mode games for casual gamers etc etc.....

Neither description is accurate.

And you are far too impressed with that Golden Joystick award.... for a variety of reasons its just not that impressive..... but that's not a discussion for this thread.

OK, back to the OP's question.... I've played them both.... really depends on what you are looking for in a game, I feel they appeal to players of quite different play styles.

What people say about each game is true. Also true is there are many folks who hate both games, and many people still playing both games and having fun.

LotRO's got a free trial, might as well start there and see if you like it.  When/if VG has a free trial, then give it a shot as well.

I agree Kyleran. I noticed that LoTR also had a link on their loggin page to that 'golden joystick' ballot; where I didn't see that on any other mmo's launch pad.....

Also, vanguard maybe synonomous with 'bad execution' but Jackdog is among a small minority who think it has a flawed design. In addition to the fact that the Vanguard Jack played isn't really comparable to the Vanguard of today. The bugs and performance used to mask the design, but now that the bugs are leaving, the veil has been lifted and most are very impressed with the game behind the bugs.

To get back on topic, like others have said, LoTR is for some and Vanguard is for some. LoTR is more casual friendly, compartmentalized and linear. You are following the games story rather than creating your own. Don't get me wrong, I think it is very well executed and fun, just as WoW. Vanguard does have casual aspects to it (solo content to lvl 50, crafting/harvesting, diplomacy), but the highest order of fun happens in groups and involve epic quest strings to get you to the ultimate goal. I started working on the RI quests two weeks ago, and we are just now getting to the beefier parts of the quest line, its very fun.

So to sum up, if you want quick gratification, linear progression and a smooth running game with a predominantly casual atmosphere, go LoTR.

If you want your work to be epic and hard fought and focus on grouping, go Vanguard. But the one big 'IF' in VG? Play it IF you have a good rig. It is barely worth it on minimum specs or an older comp.

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

A lot of people enjoy both.  As they are completely different games.

LoTRo is more quest-based and linear, it's also referred to as "casual-friendly".  There is a Story-line that runs from the beginning to "End".  You get better experience with the quests and definitely better rewards.

Vanguard is more of a Sandbox type game.  There is Lore but it isn't as all-encompassing as the main story plot of LoTRo.  If you like a more "free-form" game then Vanguard may be more to your liking.  Vanguard is also bigger in total land-size and there are more modes of transportation available.

I like the graphics on both games, so I guess it would be up to you and a matter of personal preference.  Take a look at some screenshots of both and see if they are to your liking.

As for community.  It will depend a lot on which server and if you are a part of a guild/kinship.  No matter which game you choose; having a nice established group of friends to play with will make it a lot more fun.

Good luck and I hope you find one of them to your liking.