Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UXO and Ultima Worlds Online: Origin

SkaelSkael Member Posts: 115

Just like how UXO has been cancelled in order to improve UO:7EA, which no doubt will be lame, in the past the same thing had been done to Ultima Worlds Online: Origin to improve UO:3D. UWO:O was also known as UO2.

UO2 was going to be good! It was set after UO, after Blackthorne had cast a spell called Armageddon tha caused a cataclysm which merged Sosaria with other worlds. Lord British was missing, and he became a legend known as the Lost King. Blackthorne's body was mangled during the spell, and he became a cyborg. The setting was a fusion of medieval/fantasy and futurustic machines/robots etc, because the cataclysm had merged Sosaria with the worlds of the Meer, a feline race, and the Juka, a wingless gargoyle race that relied on machines. It had a VERY otherworldly feeling that I loved. The guy who wrote the backstory for UO2 released a three-book trilogy called Ultima: The Technocrat War. I read the first book and it was GREAT. I think the books are still around, and there were little tidbits of UO in it that I loved.

UO2 links for those who didn't know about it, and I will direct you to UO2 concepts that showed up in UO as part of their lame attempt to merge:

http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/pc/graveyard_ultima/

Spot the ridgeback in this link, and notice how similar the horses look to the UO 3D client horses, and also the unicorn, Meer and Juka that are now in UO:

http://www.cdmag.com/articles/028/002/uo2_preview.html

This site has a couple more screenshots, it's in another language though ( there is a place to click next to go to the next page )

http://www.gamekult.com/tout/jeux/fiche_screenshots.html?cjeu=J000000173&nopub=1&temp=690707200480161858

If you still play UO, don't be surprised if you start seeing green UXO gremlins in game after one patch. The fate of UO2 makes me so miserable. image

Vendor buy us all a decent MMORPG bank guards recdu recsu

Comments

• Druac_BlaiseDruac_Blaise Member Posts: 8

I remember following the UO2 'development' only to see it dumped by EA...and now they actually did it AGAIN??? Wow...and the same excuse? LOL! Typical EA Idiocracy (Idiot + Bureaucracy). How the hell will they ever live this down? I promised to never play another EA game after what happened with UO2 and have lived up to my promise so far. This only justifies that decision more.

I'm sure if I hadn't made that decision back then, I would be hating life again after waiting on this one for almost 2 years as some did. What the hell are they going to do when it comes time to actually create a new UO or something to replace their decrepit old stand by? Its like the boy that cried wolf...ROFL.

• DienekesDienekes Member Posts: 484

*cry*  I missed that E3.  I remember how good the graphics were back then...if you upped the resolution to 1600x1200 max and tweaked the textures/polygons and filtered the animations a bit that game would have state of the art graphics still.  *sigh*  I still miss UO2 and I never even played it.  :P

Skrael you have the video of the guy breakdancing with the sword and the rooftop battle with the flying monster?

"Feel free to hate me, but hate me for the right reasons."

"Your still ignorant if you believe the first thing you see when the blindfold is removed."

"Be smart enough to know I'm smarter than you."

• SkaelSkael Member Posts: 115

Nope image I wish.

Someone said that the animations for UO2 were actually done by a martial artist doing moves. I find it interesting that Tabula Rasa, which has a lot of the old UO2 team, has combat that's based on martial arts and has animations that are very fluid and real looking.

• zerouncoolzerouncool Member Posts: 3

I really hope your keen idiocy is a result of an alchol induced hallucination, much like my own. If not, I'm going ot have to lead my army of pink elephants and black-tongued madmen through my mile-wide phone lines and into your pathetically squalid little house, where you will cower before my greatness and finally admit that not only was UO crap, but UO2 and UXO would also join the ranks of the hideously designed and even more catostraphically coded.

• DienekesDienekes Member Posts: 484

Too many drugs there zerouncool?

UO2 animations were being developed by a guy in a suit.  It was one of the first systems ever like that.  That is why those animations are all sooo cool...That is also why most of the time a kick would send you flying through the mob and then back because you were seeing exactly what the person was doing in the suit when they recorded the animation.  Looks great doesn't it?  :D

It is also one of the reasons they cancelled UO2.  I don't have the page anymore with all the facts so you'll have to take my word on this but UO2 was one of the most expensive MMORPGs ever made even compared to today's games and it wasn't even completed.  Which makes you wonder why EA cancelled it...if they put so much money into it and they just cancel it they lose ALL of their money.  At least publishing the game would have made them some of the money back.

"Feel free to hate me, but hate me for the right reasons."

"Your still ignorant if you believe the first thing you see when the blindfold is removed."

"Be smart enough to know I'm smarter than you."

• MadgunzMadgunz Member Posts: 35
    This game ne good?

??˜°³ª¹º†Madgunz†º¹ª³˜??