Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WAR ( warhammer online ) v WoW

Comments

• cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094

Originally posted by jason_webb

Originally posted by lomiller

Take MMORPG out of that sentence and you would be accurate.  Most WoW players have never played another MMO and never will, the next counterstrike or starcraft that comes along and they will jump ship, but they won’t go to another MMO. 

That really annoys me!! You know "Most WoW players" do you??? You know for a fact that 'MOST' WoW players have never played another MMO, huh!

If you are going to add something useful to a post, please do, but don't just drop in and insult players with spurious statements like this!

I agree with Mr.Web.. WoW players are always portrade as a sub-species of MMO's and even if 'most' wow players have not played another MMO does it matter? we all start some where (I started with AO).

WoW haters always have this dream that if a WoW player plays EvE or EQ2 etc then they will dump WoW and play their 'real MMO'... like they some how "saw the light". ROFL

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

Agreed.  This idea, that the majority of WoW players are playing WoW simply because they don't know any better is complete bullshit, to be blunt.

This idea would only make sense if these games were far and beyond superior to WoW in every way, yet they are not.  These games are reviewed and rated, then bought.

WoW is still in the top 10 PC games charts after almost 3 years of release.  It is the highest critically rated MMO game ever.  It is the subject of thousands of articles, all claiming how brilliant it is, from blogs to mainstream news sites.

It is only the ultra-hardcore, forum dwelling minority who spend 95% of their time whining about how much the MMO genre sucks, that thinks that WoW is a bad game.

Everyone else on the planet at least recognizes that it is a superbly designed and constructed game.  Even if it doesn't float their boat, to simply live in denial that it's "cheap", "stupid", "for kids", "the worst MMO EVAR LOL!!!" is a bit like putting your fingers into your ears, closing your eyes and saying "la la la everquest 2 is better in every way la la la"

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

I will say that, although he may have made an overgenralization on the WoW playerbase, he may have a point. WoW players may truely go to a Non MMORPG if it is thought to be the next thing everyone is trying. A lot of communities and strong relationships have been formed (in guilds , groups, etc). For all we know they may decide to all play online Scrabble-xtreem or something. 

However, I do believe that most lpayers who play (or played) WoW are not turned off by the genre. Most of the first time MMORPGers I met in my time on WoW were very excited about that game, and asked a lot about others. I think we will see a lot of genre retention.

Torrential

• jimmy123jimmy123 Member UncommonPosts: 314

I'll be trying WAR out, After playing WoW for just over 2 years its time for me to move on. I just hope i can get 2 years of the same amount of enjoyment that i experienced in WoW.  For me it was one of the best games ive ever played, but i think that was down to the lovely and very funny guild members i had so much fun with playing with. Most the guild members were over 25 dont no if that had anythink todo with it, lol.

Played Horde on a PvP realm loved it, hopeing WAR is gonner be as good if not better, fingers crossed.

• I left WoW last year for WAR due to its complete and utter crappitude that was TBC. Same shit different day is all it was. Now with WoTLK being a complete TBC copy as well with no interesting ideas that haven't already been played out.

See you all in WAR because unless EA really screws it up there will be no stopping the juggernaut that is warhammer (Though I still wish it was 40k based).

• KharmaKillzKharmaKillz Member UncommonPosts: 22

Who cares?! 

I know a few people inside WoW(not all of em... lol) that have never played another MMO.  They are the same people that are waiting for AoC or WAR to come out to try something new. 

Personally, I've been in MMO's since AC1 and it's been hard for me to find a game that I enjoy that much.  Comparing games to your MMO is often a difficult concept for most.  I've played so many games since AC1, and WoW was one that that I played for almost 2 years on and off.  I play there for friends pretty much now. 

I was hoping that Warhammer would be the next big thing, but then other games came along that are looking pretty good too... I for one will wait until the games are in open beta/release and try them myself before I believe anyone's opinion about the game. 

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

Fragfest PvP still sounds better than the garbage PvP that WoW had... a great game that featured three distinct roles in PvP... MS warrior, Healer, and Sidekick.  But it was balanced because all of them were equally capable of standing next to stuff in any of the many great world PvP battles in Outlands, right? A game that will be handicapped from now til the end of time by a predominant focus on PvE, cookie cutter specs, and sand box dueling.  If WoW never had any competition all they would ever release would be more raid content.  Finally, Conan and WAR are around the corner, they suddenly think about adding siege weapons and hero class(es) (snirk) to the game.  Why support such small minded developers?  They were never interested in breathing life into the Warcraft world the same way that Mythic has shown they care about the Warhammer world. (Thanks to GW.)

Originally posted by red_cruiser

Fragfest PvP still sounds better than the garbage PvP that WoW had... a great game that featured three distinct roles in PvP... MS warrior, Healer, and Sidekick.  But it was balanced because all of them were equally capable of standing next to stuff in any of the many great world PvP battles in Outlands, right? A game that will be handicapped from now til the end of time by a predominant focus on PvE, cookie cutter specs, and sand box dueling.  If WoW never had any competition all they would ever release would be more raid content.  Finally, Conan and WAR are around the corner, they suddenly think about adding siege weapons and hero class(es) (snirk) to the game.  Why support such small minded developers?  They were never interested in breathing life into the Warcraft world the same way that Mythic has shown they care about the Warhammer world. (Thanks to GW.)
     Your in for one BIG disapointment when WAR comes out, providing you played WoW for some time, if you've not played WoW then WAR is a good game.. but WoW vets will get Zero from WAR... IMHO.

• FahrenheitTHFahrenheitTH Member Posts: 130

I am amazed at how so much people can jump to conclusions. How can you compare a game, which is most defanently, and undeniably a big hit MMORPG with another that hasn't been released yet.

Now I am not saying that WAR will be a bad game, no not at all. I believe it has potential, and it can be a good rival for WoW, but we still have yet to see the actual outcome....Even if you have played the BETA, things can drastically change on the official release.

This is the same thing with AoC. If you hate WoW so much, then why are you wasting your time here?

• ratariarataria Member Posts: 93

Originally posted by jimmy123

Just wondering on how many of WoW players will be trying out WAR..... After playing WoW for several years im hopeing WAR will get my juices flowing again.

played wowcrap for one year, playing LOTRO now a much better game and will try WAR for sure.

• cveseliscveselis Member Posts: 97

Originally posted by cupertino

1 second.. ill go grab my fire fighting kit.
    WAR PvE is just like WoW's, Public quests get boring after a few run throughs so they are not as great as people like to think. They are basicly a new way to grind faction.
    WAR PvP is just very unorganised.. you get no resaon to kill class x over class y or to protect team members such as your healers or tanks etc.. its just a frag fest with no reason to stratagies.
    Just more oppinion ofc.

I was thinking of trying it out until I read this. I might wait and see if they introduce a free trial period now. 

• cveseliscveselis Member Posts: 97

Originally posted by namelessbob

I left WoW last year for WAR due to its complete and utter crappitude that was TBC. Same shit different day is all it was. Now with WoTLK being a complete TBC copy as well with no interesting ideas that haven't already been played out.
    See you all in WAR because unless EA really screws it up there will be no stopping the juggernaut that is warhammer (Though I still wish it was 40k based).

Could you link the thread where they detail WoTLK and it's features that are identical to TBC's?

Baseless statements are fun

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138
    Originally posted by Recant

...to simply live in denial that it's "cheap", "stupid", "for kids", "the worst MMO EVAR LOL!!!" is a bit like putting your fingers into your ears, closing your eyes and saying "la la la everquest 2 is better in every way la la la"

You were almost right.  It's not a bit like that, it's EXACTLY like that.  Great post.

Personally, I think AoC and War might be pretty good MMO's when they are released, but the problem is that unless they are LOT better than WoW, what's the real incentive for me to switch if I already like WoW and have invested 3 years of time into it?  I tried LOTRO and it was OK, but nothing convinced me that I should start from scratch with a new MMO over playing what I have been playing for 3 years.  This is a big problem for any new MMO coming out now.  They don't have to just be better than WoW, they have to be signficantly better to get people to switch.  Now there are many who have grown tired of WoW and will try AoC and War, but there also a lot of folks who still play WoW.  To get those folks to switch is gonna take a lot of convincing.  Even if War and AoC turn out to be very good games, that doesn't necessarily mean people will give up on WoW to play them.

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

I think a lot of WoW players will try WAR. Honestly they will try anything. Most WoW players are just looking for a reason to leave. At this time there just isnt anything out there.

Torrential

• Hyperboy01Hyperboy01 Member Posts: 17

I think everyone should switch to Tabula Rasa from Wow. Very different, and gives you a chance to figure out how to play something new.

:) That was my monkey wrench :P

You know, getting back to WAR vs WoW...

In an MMO, it is people that make things happen in the game. If everyone wants something, and it is something that is reasonable, and won't break the game, developers of MMOs generally implement it (over time). However, when something gets so big that the company sees the dollar bills rolling in, regardless of what changes they make or don't make (WoW) my interest starts to wain.

WoW still has bugs that, from what I have been told (yes I play, but not from day 1), have been around since day 1. There is a huge expansion out (Burning Crusades), and yet still, bugs still remain in the game. Now, to be fair, I have not played a single MMO that didn't have this issue, so they certainly are not alone. However, with the money that Bliz has rolling in on this game (do the math, it is impossible that they are not making a crapload of money on this), you would think they would have the money to have a dev team that is solely there to eliminate bugs. Starting with old world content of course.

Anyhow, Mythic may be no different from Bliz when they get big either, however, until they do get as big as WoW, I think they will be heavily listening to their player base and attempting to implement non-game breaking features.

So I say good luck to WAR! I hope it does awesome! For those of you that want to continue to play wow, more power to you, there are more levels and fun on the horizon!

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Originally posted by Hyperboy01
    However, with the money that Bliz has rolling in on this game (do the math, it is impossible that they are not making a crapload of money on this), you would think they would have the money to have a dev team that is solely there to eliminate bugs. Starting with old world content of course.

Sorry, had to comment on that one as by this definition 'Windows' should be the cleanest bug free piece of software on the planet, lol. Nothing personal, just made me chuckle :)

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

lmao finnaly someone is buggin the WoW ppl w/ a vs post on there thing....done w/ seeing these on every other game lol

Originally posted by Hyperboy01

I think everyone should switch to Tabula Rasa from Wow. Very different, and gives you a chance to figure out how to play something new.
    :) That was my monkey wrench :P
    You know, getting back to WAR vs WoW...
    In an MMO, it is people that make things happen in the game. If everyone wants something, and it is something that is reasonable, and won't break the game, developers of MMOs generally implement it (over time). However, when something gets so big that the company sees the dollar bills rolling in, regardless of what changes they make or don't make (WoW) my interest starts to wain.
    WoW still has bugs that, from what I have been told (yes I play, but not from day 1), have been around since day 1. There is a huge expansion out (Burning Crusades), and yet still, bugs still remain in the game. Now, to be fair, I have not played a single MMO that didn't have this issue, so they certainly are not alone. However, with the money that Bliz has rolling in on this game (do the math, it is impossible that they are not making a crapload of money on this), you would think they would have the money to have a dev team that is solely there to eliminate bugs. Starting with old world content of course.
    Anyhow, Mythic may be no different from Bliz when they get big either, however, until they do get as big as WoW, I think they will be heavily listening to their player base and attempting to implement non-game breaking features.
    So I say good luck to WAR! I hope it does awesome! For those of you that want to continue to play wow, more power to you, there are more levels and fun on the horizon!
    On the issue of bugs.. who ever you got the info from that Wow suffers from bugs is either a hater or was talking about a different game.. sure you run into the odd bugged mob who appears to not take damage (but does) or a special mob wont respwn but these are very very very rare and always have been.

When I think of MMO bugs I think of crashes, poor performance (due to mem leaks), Skills not working as they should, falling through the world (a few did during wow launch) they are game breaking but WoW does not suffer from these and have not for years.

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702

Got incredibly tired of WoW months back and I've been waiting for WAR since. Definitely can't wait.

• ram3oram3o Member Posts: 134

1 second.. ill go grab my fire fighting kit.

WAR PvE is just like WoW's, Public quests get boring after a few run throughs so they are not as great as people like to think. They are basicly a new way to grind faction.

WAR PvP is just very unorganised.. you get no resaon to kill class x over class y or to protect team members such as your healers or tanks etc.. its just a frag fest with no reason to stratagies.

Just more oppinion ofc.

I dont know why you say WAR PvP is very unorganised. You have your Tank, Melee Dps, Range Dps, and Healer. Tanks have this ability call Taunt; Taunting your enemy, making them hate you more and reducing their damage by 50% against everyone other than you for 10 seconds. But I guess what your saying tanks dont have to use that ability because there no reason to protect your teammates and just join the zerg fest. Thanks for the tip.

• ram3oram3o Member Posts: 134

By the way the Public Quest look fun, you can jump right in and join other people to do Quest other than LFG a group that could take 15-30 mins like in WoW.

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

"WAR PvE is just like WoW's, Public quests get boring after a few run throughs so they are not as great as people like to think. They are basicly a new way to grind faction.

WAR PvP is just very unorganised.. you get no resaon to kill class x over class y or to protect team members such as your healers or tanks etc.. its just a frag fest with no reason to stratagies."

well its all a bunch of WoW fanboi BS or ur in beta and breaking the contract.....im leaning twords fanboi lol

• jp4lyfejp4lyfe Member UncommonPosts: 165

QFT

• KaleiKalei Member Posts: 16

I'm definitely gonna try it. 

• CreamSodaCreamSoda Member Posts: 86
    Originally posted by Pappy13

Originally posted by Recant

...to simply live in denial that it's "cheap", "stupid", "for kids", "the worst MMO EVAR LOL!!!" is a bit like putting your fingers into your ears, closing your eyes and saying "la la la everquest 2 is better in every way la la la"

You were almost right.  It's not a bit like that, it's EXACTLY like that.  Great post.

Personally, I think AoC and War might be pretty good MMO's when they are released, but the problem is that unless they are LOT better than WoW, what's the real incentive for me to switch if I already like WoW and have invested 3 years of time into it?  I tried LOTRO and it was OK, but nothing convinced me that I should start from scratch with a new MMO over playing what I have been playing for 3 years.  This is a big problem for any new MMO coming out now.  They don't have to just be better than WoW, they have to be signficantly better to get people to switch.  Now there are many who have grown tired of WoW and will try AoC and War, but there also a lot of folks who still play WoW.  To get those folks to switch is gonna take a lot of convincing.  Even if War and AoC turn out to be very good games, that doesn't necessarily mean people will give up on WoW to play them.

Thats easy to answer.  You really don't have three years invested in it.  Your time is invested in obtaining gear at the highest level which Blizzard will take away from you again.  So when the expansion comes out you won't have shit to keep but your level.  And if you think leveling is actually an achievment in WoW your a sad puppy.